Author's Chapter Notes:
Review! Review! Review!

October 2003 – Memphis, TN 

“So, the INS guy, Marshall, said as long as we marry within the year of the engagement then we’re set,” Justin repeated what Trace was telling him over the phone, pacing the floor of his bedroom. Mila sat, cross-legged, in the center of his bed with her thumb in her mouth, nervously watching him pace. 

She was still very much against this wild idea of marrying Justin just to her legal status adjusted, but he wasn’t hearing any of it. Trace had been sent to the INS office in LA to file the paperwork need, and now, Justin and Mila were in Memphis to announce and celebrate their ‘engagement’. Only Trace and Marty knew the truth and they planned to keep it that way. Marty was like Mila’s family and Trace was Justin’s. 

Snapping out of her thoughts, Mila saw Justin toss his phone into his opened suitcase and turn to look at her. 

“So, are you ready for this?” Justin asked, inching his way over to her, kneeling at the edge of the bed and reaching for her. Mila scooted closer to him and held onto his hands. 

“No. I feel so bad, Justin. We’ve got to lie to your entire family, getting their hopes up and then shattering them in a year or two. That kills me because it’s all because of me,” Mila felt her emotions getting the best of her, choking her up. 

“Hey…look at me. You’ve got to calm down. Remember, no emotional stress. Just go with the flow, ok. Do you trust me?” he asked, turning her face to look at him. She simply nodded, breathing in deeply and trying to calm herself. She still occasionally suffered chest pains after a show, but she was learning to rest. 

“Then trust me with this, too. Mama’s always said that she’d love to have you as a daughter, so this works perfectly. We know each other backwards and forwards. We’re friends already, so it’s not too far-fetched,” he explained. “Just add the holding hands, kissing here and there, and voila!” 

“Cowboy, I wish it were that simple. It’s the immorality that torments me,” she said, causing Justin to chuckle slightly at her accent. 

“I forget you’re a good Catholic girl sometimes…” Justin kidded, patting her thigh and pushing up to an upright position. “Now go on, get dressed. We’ve got an engagement party to get to.” 

Mila sighed before unfolding her legs, and standing off the bed. She waltz towards the bathroom, where her party dress hung. Sighing, she quickly changed into the one-shouldered printed black and white maxi dress. Slipping on some black sandals and her black bangles, she stepped out of the bathroom. 

“Don’t you look pretty…” Justin commented, looking up from tying his shoelaces. Mila blushed slightly before moving towards him. Standing up, he adjusted his shirt and gave a small twirl, looking for her approval. 

“Well, I certainly didn’t expect a suit, but you clean up nicely,” she joked, reaching out to fix the collar of his navy blue button down shirt. 

“Hardy har har, Ms. Grecco,” he grinned before kissing her cheek. Taking hold of her hand, he led her out of the bedroom and downstairs, where he knew his mother was busy prepping the food. 

“Need any help Lynn?” Mila offered, coming to stand beside the blonde, curly-haired woman. It tugged at Mila’s heart to know that she would be soon deceiving such a generous and genuine individual. 

“Well, could you start taking some of the bowls and such outside? The guests should start arriving soon,” Lynn replied, smiling brightly before going back to chopping one thing or another. 

#### 

“So, J, what’s the occasion?” his cousin, Nick asked from across the backyard. It was his family present, and they’d all ate before scattering about the backyard. Justin turned from his conversation with his dad, Paul to face Nick, who sat by the pool. Before replying, Justin’s eyes searched for Mila. She was on the opposite side of Nick, sitting on the patio with his mother, aunt, and grandmother. Her eyes slammed into his, fearful and frantic. 

Rubbing his neck nervously, he chuckled before taking another swig of his beer. Looking around, he saw that all eyes were on him. It was now or never. 

“Well, I never have a break and I was in the neighborhood, so why not?” Justin jokingly responded. A few people chuckle, but for the most part, his bullshit was called. 

“No, really, what’s the occasion? Any other barbeque and your trifling ass wouldn’t have changed out your sweats,” Rachel, his other cousin, called out, drawing chuckles from the crowd. 

“Very funny, Rach. Hilarious, even. If you must know, there is a very special occasion for tonight. Mila, babygirl, can you come over here?” Justin called softly, beckoning her with his outstretched hand. Taking a deep breath, Mila stood on shaky legs and numbly walked towards him. Taking a tight hold of his hand, she allowed him to wrap his arm around her waist and pull her to his side. 

“Mila and I invited you here today to announce that…well, we’re umm…” Justin stumbled over his words, nervously looking down at Mila as her fingers dug into his side. 

“Is she knocked up?” Brett, his not-so-eloquent cousin, shouted out. 

“No, dipshit, but we’re engaged,” the last words came out in a hushed tone. But, everyone heard. Or so he safely assumed from the collective gasp that went around the backyard. 

“Surprise,” Mila whispered, her body tensing up awaiting the outrage to commence.

Chapter End Notes:
Review! Review! Review!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: dancer