Author's Chapter Notes:

Review! Review! Review! Review!

November 2003 – Los Angeles, CA 

“Don’t worry, baby. I’ll keep her so busy that she won’t have time to miss you,” his mama’s heavy Southern drawl shattered his daydreams. Shaking his head free of cobwebs, he looked up to see his mama standing over him with a huge smile on her face. Looking to his right, he saw his ‘fiancee’ timidly smiling in response to Lynn’s excitement. 

“That’s what worries me, mama, she won’t miss me,” he tried his hand at a joke, and a soft chuckle responded. 

“Flight 2203, Los Angeles to Brussels is now boarding. Flight 2203 – now boarding,” came the announcement over the PA system. Lynn pulled him up into a hug and kiss before announcing that she’d give them time. 

“Justin, don’t leave me. I mean, how am I gonna keep this from your mama and grandma. Oh my, they’re going to kill us if they ever find out,” Mila’s composure broke as soon as Lynn walked away. 

“Hey, hey, look at me,” Justin commanded, pulling her to stand and making her eyes turn to his own. “I would take you with me, if I could. Keep in touch with Marshall, and he’ll let us know when you’re able to leave the country. The second that you can, you’re on a plane. Understand?” 

Nodding her head, Mila kept her tears at bay. 

“Don’t cry, please. You know I hate it when you cry. Mama’s gonna help plan everything, and we’ll keep it quiet. We’ll keep it small and quiet, deal?” Justin whispered, running his calloused thumbs under her eyes, catching falling tears. 

“I hate this, I really do. But, thank you,” Mila replied, her voice breaking. She lost any ounce of control left in her, falling into his arms sobs shaking her shoulders. 

“Oh babygirl, don’t cry,” he soothed, his arms wrapping securely around her. He saw his mama approaching them, and he knew that he needed to get going. Pulling her away, he smiled tenderly at the lost-child look on her face. 

“You take care of my mama and my dogs, ok?” he chuckled, knowing she’d have her hands full with his two Boxers – Buckley and Brennan – and her chocolate lab, Chipper. 

“Very funny, bastardo,” she chuckled through her tears. He laughed in return and placed a gentle kiss on her lips just as his mama stopped next to him. 

“You go and be safe, and don’t you worry about us,” she soothed, wrapping an arm around Mila’s shoulders. Justin nodded, kissing both of them on the forehead and grabbing his carryon before Mike followed him. Turning one last time, he kissed his fingers and waved before walking around the corner. 

“Let’s go hun, we have lots of chatting and planning to do,” Lynn announced pulling Mila out of the terminal, a defeated sigh escaping Mila’s lips. 

#### 

December 2003 – Memphis, TN 

“Where’s Mila?” Lynn asked, coming down the stairs and into the living room. 

“In the kitchen, Paul called and said that he was picking up Justin so she said she’d make him some food. But, I couldn’t begin to tell you what that child is cooking,” Sadie, Justin’s grandmother, replied, exasperated. Lynn stifled her amusement, and headed into the kitchen.

For the past month, Mila had been in Memphis. The longer she stayed, the more they learned about her. Sadie was not very convinced that she was fit for her grandbaby. 

“Mila, honey, what are you doing?” Lynn asked as she rounded the doorway into the kitchen. 

“Paul is bringing Justin, and I’m sure he’ll be hungry from the long flight. So, I’m making him some dinner,” she replied, looking into one of her steaming pots. Sidling up to her side, Lynn looked at the array of foods on the stove and she, too, was at a lost. 

“What exactly are you making?” Lynn cautiously questioned. 

“Couscous with chicken and vegetables,” Mila replied, absentmindedly. It’d been a very long nearly two months without Justin around to buffer her and his family. She was ready for him to get here and take the attention away. 

Justin doesn’t like couscous, Lynn thought, but kept her thoughts to herself. She saw Mila’s distraction and stress as excitement for Justin’s return. 

“Ma! Granny! Mila! I’m home!” came the boisterous announcement from the foyer. 

“Boy, you better learn to call your wife’s name first,” Sadie’s scold traveled into the kitchen. Mila sighed, while Lynn chuckled. In a flash, Justin stood in the doorway with Sadie and Paul standing behind him. 

Greeting his mother with a kiss and hug, he moved on to a hand-twirling Mila. 

“I’m home, babygirl,” he whispered, pulling her into a tight hug. He could feel all her stress and worries fall from her body as her arms wrapped tightly around him. He could feel her inhale him scent, deeply. Pulling away, he smiled at her and she smiled in return. 

“Welcome home, Cowboy,” she whispered before he kissed the corner of her mouth. 

“Watcha making?” he asked, pulling her to his side. “I’m starving.” 

“Couscous with chicken,” she replied, folding her arms at her chest. 

“Justin doesn’t like couscous,” Sadie announced, confusing lacing her words. Mila’s arms fell, defeated. Her saddened eyes turning up to meet Justin’s regretful ones. 

“Mama…” Lynn sighed. She’d hoped to avoid this. 

“What? He doesn’t. I think he deserves his favorite meal after flying God-knows-how-many hours,” Sadie ignorantly continued. Lynn shook her head, and Paul helped lead Sadie out of the kitchen. Justin stood quiet, not knowing what to say. He’d seen Mila’s intentions, and he knew she didn’t need this. She was at a breaking point. 

“Is that true?” her sad question broke his heart. 

“I’ve never tried Libyan couscous,” and a shrug of his shoulders.

Chapter End Notes:

Review! Review! Review! Review!



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: dancer