It seems that things are starting to turn around for our young Essence.  For the first time in her life, there's a guy, a seemingly decent guy in her life that looked beyond her outer appearance to see her for who she is inside.  And that thought was exhilarating.  But, as she'll soon learn, things aren't always as simple as they seem.....





"Essence, let's go!  We're going to be late and you know how Nichelle is about crowd control.  If it gets too packed, we'll never get in.  Hurry up!"  Shonte' yelled into her phone from outside of Essence's parents townhouse.  Shonte' was casually dressed in her dark denim Apple Bottoms, Rocawear flyaway cardigan shawl with matching white wife beater and black studded Rocawear shoes.  Her hair was straight with a slight curl to it.  Her makeup was understated and accentuated her best feature...her lips.  Shonte' was a naturally beautiful woman with flawless mahogany skin and a killer smile.  But her lips stood out.  She had full, plump, gorgeous lips and she kept them glossed at all times.  The girl's stunning.



"Alright, I'll be down in a second."  Essence answered hanging up her phone.  She took one last look in the mirror, going over ever detail to make sure she looked perfect.  Satisfied with what she managed to put together, she grabbed her jacket and headed out the door.  All of her siblings were already in bed and her little sister promised to keep her mouth closed as long as she could borrow her big sister's favorite shoes.  Essence worked overtime for two months in order to pay for her black Christian Louboutin Alta Bouton Ankle Boots.  It was kind of hard for her to spend money  on shoes but once she had them in her possession, she knew it was well worth it.  Walking out the door, she's flooded by whisles, hoots and hollers all made by her best friend.



"Well damn girl, you could have told me you were going all out.  I would have dressed up a little more."  



"I'm sorry boo but I felt like getting gussied up tonight.  You know how long it's been since I've been to a party?  I'm figured, why not?"

 

Essence wore a simple black ruched dress with a cropped black leather jacket and her new boots.  Her hair that she had just dyed chestnut brown was curled in soft tendrils all over, softly framing her round face.  She too looked stunning.



"You just had to go and make my job harder tonight didn't you?  Are you wondering if that guy Trace introduced us too is going to be there?  Trace already called and told me they made it to the party and they're waiting on us.  He says he doesn't know what you told his boy but you got his nose wide open.  Like all the other suckers around here, I told him.  So no worries, he'll be there."



Essence just laughed and shook her head.  She really couldn't explain what it was with Josh that had her so excited but she felt the same way about him.  He had her thinking of a life with him...and they had just met mere hours ago.  It couldn't be that she was in love right?  I mean who in their right mind falls in love that quickly. Love at first sight my ass.

 

The two ladies walked into the house and the party was at full swing.  Immediately, Essence and Shonte' were pulled apart by Trace and Justin respectively.

 

"Hi, I know we didn't really get a chance to talk earlier but I'm Justin.  It's nice to meet you.  You've been all JC could talk about."



"JC?  I don't know a...Oh!  You mean Josh?  Yeah, he's a sweet guy.  Where is he by the way.  I want to let him know I'm here."



"Oh, he's over there talking to Chris.  You remember Chris from earlier right?"



"Yeah, I remember seeing him briefly.  If you don't mind, I really want to get over there.  Excuse me."  Essence said walking over in Josh's direction.  He was having a really animated conversation and the smile on his face warmed her heart.  She could already tell that he was passionate about his work and his life.  She just hoped that if this (whatever it was between them) continued, he'd be just as passionate about them.



Seeing her walk in his direction, he excused himself away from the guys and met her, enveloping her in his arms.  She responded by wrapping her arms around his shoulders and lightly kissing his cheek.  He blushed and released the hold he had on her.



"Thank goodness you made it.  I was starting to worry."



"I made that kind of impression on you already?  That's a good thing right?"



"I would hope so.  Would you like to go out on the deck with me a minute.  It's really loud in here and I'd like to get to know you a little better."  She simply nodded her head in response and took his hand, leading him through the house to the back porch.  Nichelle's house was huge and being an only child allowed her to change rooms on a whim.  Her room now being the last in the house, where there's also a back door.  They got outside and took a seat on the top step.  Josh took Essence's hands into his own and looked into her eyes again.

 

The sheer intensity that passed between the two was something  magical.  They both felt it, but didn't know how to handle it so, they left it alone...for now.



Josh squeezed her hands in his and took a deep breath.

 

"I want to know everything there is to know about you.  When's your birthday?



"November 25th, yours?"



"August 8th.  Favorite color?"



"Green, yours?"



"Orange.  Your favorite song?"



"Too many to name.  I love R&B the most though."



"That's good, I love soft rock myself.  How many siblings?"



"I'm the second oldest of seven.  You?"



"I'm adopted but I have two natural brothers and a younger brother and sister. What's your last name?"



"Winters.  I already know yours.  Trace told me earlier."

 

"Would you like to have my last name?"

 

"What?"



"Marry me."

 

"Josh, are you serious?"

 

"Essence, I've never been more sure of anything in my whole life.  I honestly feel like I love you.  And I know it's crazy and spontaneous but who knows when or if we'll ever find something like this again.  I know you feel it too.  Marry me, be my wife."

 

In a voice barely above a whisper she answers....

 

 

 

"Ok."


Completed
Keediluv is the author of 22 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Daydreaming from Englewood Avenue also liked 206 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story