Author's Chapter Notes:
so, I lied. I was going to end it with three chapters, but I couldn't. I just couldn't. So, I think I'm gonna drag it on for one more day. Hehe, y'all love me! Enjoy!

“Scarlett Rae!” her older brother Brett exclaimed, causing JC and Rae to jump apart.  

“What?!” she groaned, trying desperately to inconspicuously wipe her lips. JC’s head was ducked, but she could see a smile on his face. She smacked his arm and he finally chuckled, but quickly masked it behind a cough. 

“When I tell mama that you’re sucking face with a boy at Johnson’s Square, she’s gonna want to meet him,” Brett taunted her as she neared them. 

“Don’t you dare Brett,” Rae warned, pointing a finger in his direction. The glare that her eyes emitted could’ve killed a small animal. 

“Oh put the guns away, Rae, and let’s get going,” he sighed, rolled his eyes, and turned around to lead the way back to the parking garage. 

“Is he going to murder me in a dark alley?” JC whispered as Rae stepped from around him and followed Brett, at a safe distance. 

“Nah, he’s all bark no bite. It’s the other four you gotta worry about,” Rae replied, smiling softly. 

“Let me just worry about surviving this car ride and tomorrow morning, then I’ll worry about the rest,” he swallowed thickly, but it was all play. Rae laughed and continued walking. Pretty soon they reached the SUV she’d driven, and everyone piled in. JC sat in the front seat since he’d be the first to get dropped off. Drunken loud chatter filled the small space, so JC opted to not attempt a conversation with Rae. 

“The boys will go over and check out the car in the morning, do you need to go anywhere while they work on it?” Rae offered as JC rounded the front of the vehicle to her rolled down window. 

“No, I should be ok. I have your number in case I need anything. But, I’ll be good,” he replied. 

“Alright then, well, we’ll bring the car around once they fix it up,” Rae replied, giving him a small smile.

“Thank you. I really do appreciate their help and yours as well. Be safe driving back and I enjoyed myself,” JC added a wink.

“Myself, included,” Rae replied, ducking her head as a small blush rose to her cheeks.

“Good night, JC.” 

“Good night, Scarlett Rae,” and a small wave sent her on her way. 

#### 

“You told mama?!?! You sonofabitch!” Rae exclaimed, kicking Brett in the shin as she came up to him in the barn the next day. 

“What the hell, Rae? That hurt!” he exclaimed, hopping on one foot. Leaning down to rub the throbbing spot, he reached his hand out to smack her thigh. 

“I can’t believe you told mama about last night,” Rae exclaimed once again, now rubbing the stinging area on her thigh. Realizing what she was talking about, Brett stood up straight and doubled back over laughing. Rae stood with a scold on her face and her arms crossed – un-amused. 

“What’d she do now?” Brett asked, once his laughter died down. 

“She just told me that she told Matt to make sure to invite JC to dinner tonight. She says ‘I’ve gotta meet this young man that’s got you disrespecting Savannah’s sacred park squares’ and I just knew your big mouth had ratted me out!” Rae stomped as she whined. 

“Oh get over it, if I didn’t tell her, then some gossip wench woulda gotten to her,” Brett replied before returning to brushing the horse’s mane. 

“He’s supposed to be here on vacation and you’ve just set him up for the worst interrogation of the century,” Rae groaned, falling back and taking a seat on a bale of hay. 

“What does he do anyway? I mean, who takes a vacation in October?” Brett questioned, pausing his brushing momentarily. 

“I don’t know, Brett. I didn’t get much of an opportunity to play 20 questions,” Rae rolled her eyes. 

“Oh, that’s right. Playing tonsil hockey comes first, priorities,” Brett sighed. Rae laughed slightly before rolling her eyes. 

“Oh whatever, if momma scares him away, I’m coming after you,” she threatened before leaving the barn and stomping her way across the expansive backyard towards her house. 

#### 

“Oh dear, you are quite handsome. Rae’s sins are all forgiven, come on in,” Margaret, Rae’s mother, greeted JC at the door. Holding in his laughter, he stepped across the threshold. 

“Nice to meet you ma’am, and thank you for the invitation,” he said, watching her close the large oak door and turn towards him. 

“Oh heavens, call me Maggie, son. And cool the manners, I’m too old to get this hot,” she retorted, fanning herself slightly before grabbing hold of his elbow. At this, JC could not hold in his laughter and his head ducked. 

“Follow me this way, we’ll go find Rae,” she winked at him when he looked up, and led him through the large, open foyer. Heart pine floors and beams radiated such a homey feeling of great comfort and warmth. 

“You have a beautiful home, Maggie,” JC shared as his eyes danced around the 19th century residence, admiring everything – the stenciling, the extensive millwork, and all the woodwork. 

“It really is and we have Rae for it. She gifted us with it about 8 years ago,” she replied, pushing open another door that led to the outside. Stepping out after her, they stood on a beautifully decorated side porch. It stood overlooking a large backyard that led down to a river’s edge. 

“Scarlett Rae, get your brothers! It’s dinnertime,” Margaret yelled down towards the water’s edge, where JC could see Rae standing talking to several other people. Turning her head, Rae saw JC and her mother standing on the porch. A small smile graced her face before she began shouting to everyone around her that it was dinnertime. Quickly making her way towards them, Rae greeted JC with a hug. 

“Nice of you to make it,” Rae said, cautious of her mother’s attentiveness. 

“I couldn’t say no to your mom’s invitation. Plus, I don’t think I wanted to mess with Matt,” JC kidded. 

“Oh that big ol’ brute is harmless,” Margaret exclaimed before stepping back into the house to get everything set up for dinner. Rae and JC laughed loudly. 

“She is something else,” JC observed, pointing towards the inside of the store. 

“Oh lord, I don’t even want to know what that woman has said to you. She’s like a young Cloris Leachman, I swear. I’d like to apologize for any discomfort she may bring you,” Rae sighed, but the playfulness shined through. 

“Ha, I love that. You think she needs some help inside?” he asked, hearing ruckus coming from inside. 

“Lord yes, and she’s going to love you more for offering to help. Come on, Superman,” Rae joked and led them inside. Walking into the kitchen, JC offered to help set the table or bring the food to the table. And of course, Margaret ‘ooh’ and ‘ahh’ at his offer before settling a bowl of mash potatoes in his hands and pinching his cheeks. Rae laughed and shrugged at his startled expression. 

Finally, the table was set and everyone began to pour into the dining room. Rae had helped JC set the elaborate table setting for the ten seats. One-by-one, each seat took an occupant. Looking around, JC knew all but four family members. 

“JC, this is my father Tim, my oldest brother, Garrett, and his wife AnnaLynne and children Julie and Liam,” Rae pointed out each member before the blessing could be said. “Guys, this is my friend, JC.” 

“Woah, from NSYNC?” the question had escaped Julie’s mouth before she could censor herself. Slapping a hand over her mouth, she looked around to see if she was in trouble. Rae’s head had snapped around to look at him, and her once-bewildered look slowly became one of recognition. 

“Holy shit, you’re from NSYNC,” she whispered, earning a sharp smack on the arm from her mother for her language. 

“Well, that was ten years ago, but yes, I was part of NSYNC,” JC nervously admitted, scratching at the back of his head. 

“How’d that slip past you, sis?” Matt teased, and Brett laughed. Rae glared at them before turning back to JC. 

“Sorry, I didn’t mean that as a bad thing. I just wasn’t expecting that, and now, well, I feel silly,” she tried to reason. 

“For heaven’s sake, what’s NSYNC and why is everyone acting like it’s the holiest of holy?” Margaret sighed, growing agitated with being left out. 

“Sweetie, NSYNC is only one of the best selling pop groups of these youngins’ generation,” Tim explained to his wife, condescendingly patting the top of her hand that rested on the table. 

“How does dad know who NSYNC is?” Garrett questioned, flabbergasted. 

“Because he’s not a complete Neanderthal like you,” Rae retorted, evilly smiling. 

“Just how ‘best-selling’?” Margaret inquired, looking around still clueless. 

“No one’s been able to outsell their opening week’s sales since 2000,” Rae mumbled, back to her shocked state of mind. She was beginning to feel more and more like an idiot. She should’ve known who he was from the first moment she’d seen him. They’d met so many years ago in Nashville. 

“Oh lord, I should’ve brought out my good china,” Margaret sighed, a look of complete devastation across her face. Everyone heard her comment and froze. Looking around to each other, they all realized the ridiculousness of their reactions and began laughing. And laughing they did, for a good while.

Chapter End Notes:
Good? Bad? Stupid? It doesn't matter, review & let me know. Won't hurt my feelings, I promise. I WANT TO KNOW! REVIEW! REVIEW! REVIEW! REVIEW!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love jc solojc