Chris was expecting to wake up refreshed and ready to attack the day, but instead found that he got absolutely no kind of sleep and was painfully tired. It was his birthday and Fallyn was all he could think about. Why her? Why did the girl who could almost be perfect for me have a timestamp? Chris was feeling the wrath of falling too fast too soon, which happened before, but it was nowhere near this situation.

Trying not to wake Lance up, Chris found himself in the hotel bathroom, looking down at his phone. To call or not to call: that is the question. When he decided to get over himself and stop being such a wuss, his phone began to go off. Without even bothering to look at who was calling, Chris answered the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hi Chris, this is Fallyn. You remember, the girl you met....almost 24 hours ago?" she said. He heard an embarrassed sigh leave her lips and he smiled.

"Of course I remember. Actually, I was just about to call you and tell you happy birthday, also I think I figured out what my birthday present is to you," Chris said, without ever really knowing what the present was.

"Thank you, happy birthday to you, too. And you have to tell me. I've gotta know," she said.

Chris flipped through his Rolodex of ideas and all that was there were marionette dolls of himself and running across a train, which weren't even ideas. 

"I'm giving you two front row tickets to our concert tonight," Chris spilled out.

I am an idiot.

"Really? Wow that's, that's.....thank you so much!" she exclaimed.

"You're welcome," Chris replied sullenly.

"You don't sound too welcome. If it makes you feel better, I'm actually getting out of the hospital today. I was hoping you could come by and bring the tickets in person, if you're not too busy," she invited.

She was getting out of the hospital? Chris wasn't sure if Fallyn was for real or if she was only saying that to make him not worry. Honestly, she failed. Now he was worrying about not worrying. Chris glanced at his watch. If he got ready now, he could be there in an hour, hour and a half, tops. He looked at the time and quietly snuck back into the room, trying not to make any noise while he set out clothes to wear so he could get right into them after his shower. As he tip-toed back to the bathroom, he felt a pillow smack him in the back of his head.

"What the hell? Is it raining pillows?" Chris asked, looking up.

"Captain Obvious can you please find a quieter way to sneak out, you're disturbing my sleep," Lance said.

"I'm not sneaking, I didn't wanna wake you. I'm considerate," Chris said.
"Well," Lance began. "As you can see, I'm awake, Chris."

"Your fault, go back to sleep."

"Dude, I know where you're going and I'm coming, too, so hurry up," Lance said.

Chris let out a huge groan and went into the bathroom, slamming the door shut. Chris should've known he wouldn't have been able to sneak out of the room without being caught. At least he tried. He didn't get extremely dressy, but he did make sure that at least his socks matched. Chris was in the dining area talking to Johnny while he waited for Lance to get ready. He wanted to let him know the situation in case there was any problem. But of course, Johnny was ten steps ahead and already had tickets waiting. The second Lance was ready, Chris thanked Johnny and they were on their way.

What Chris was expecting when they reached Fallyn's room, was not what was actually going on. The door was closed, and Fallyn's mother was in the waiting room, looking rather worried. Almost brung to tears. Chris didn't know how to feel. He wasn't even sure what to do, he just stood there hoping the door would open, but it didn't.

"Felicia, what's going on?" Chris asked.

"The doctors say she caught a high fever and they don't want to let her go until they can bring it all the way down," she replied.

A high fever? "I just spoke to her less than two hours ago and she sounded fine. How did she get a fever in the two hours I talked to her?" Chris asked.

"She got it last night because of a slit in the window screen and the cool draft mixed in with the air conditioning gave her a sore throat. It just got worse from there since her immune system isn't as strong," Felicia explained.

Chris sat down, tightening his grip on the envelope with the two tickets. The tickets. Fallyn wouldn't be able to go to the show tonight. She didn't tell him the truth because she didn't want him to feel bad about his present. The door to her room opened and Dr. Wells exited the room. Chris quickly stood up, Felicia and Lance not too far behind his action.

"Dr. Wells, how is she doing?" asked Felicia.

She'll be fine, we got her some antibiotics for her throat and brought her temperature down to normal. I want her to stay the night, just in case. I won't hook her up to anything major, we just want to monitor and continue her doses," he replied.

Chris let out a sigh of relief, making his head feel light as he dropped into a chair with his hands burying his face. He felt a tap, causing his eyes to shoot up. It was Dr. Wells.

"Chris, right?" he inquired. Chris nodded. "Ms. Everett wants to see you."

Chris stood up, shocked. Really? Me? He glanced at Lance and shrugged before going inside the room. Fallyn's face lit up as Chris came closer to her bed.

"You could've told me the truth, you know," Chris said.

"I know, I know. But I didn't want you to feel even more embarrassed," Fallyn said. Her voice was a bit hoarse.

"I still feel stupid, but thanks," Chris said.

Fallyn chuckled softly. "Come on. Don't tell me you're gonna punk out on me, Kirkpatrick."

"No, no way, never. Except if we're on a high building, then you'd have to worry," Chris smiled.
She laughed and turned her attention toward the door as it opened.

"Hey Chris, Johnny needs us to get back," Lance said as he came in to greet Fallyn.

"Aw, well thank you both for coming, I appreciate you being here," Fallyn said.

"It's no problem.....Oh and before I forget, here you go." Chris handed her the envelope with the two tickets and he touched her chin before leaving the room.

----------

Chris could hear the crowd in uproar as he stood offstage. Lance pat him on the back, knowing what was on his mind. He wanted Fallyn to be here. He almost felt like he needed her to be here. He took a couple deep breaths and pushed it out of his mind, tonight he had to have a good show. It was his birthday, he was feeling great, and the sound of the crowd meant he had to be focused.

"Dude, don't worry. I've got your back all the way, like I should've before," Lance said as they were cued to get on-stage.

In a matter of seconds they were running onto the stage and the dream of a few minutes became an instant reality. Nothing could top the feeling of over 100,000 people being in one place to watch you do what you love. Chris felt the adrenaline speed through his veins and he was hyped up, excited to share his birthday with so many people who loved what him and his friends worked so hard at.

Chris was about to get into position until the lights changed color. Chris was confused and thought he screwed up, so he turned to look at his bandmates. They mischievous grins they had on their faces let him know, they were up to something. All of a sudden the spotlight struck onto him and the crowd began to sing happy birthday. Chris looked toward the side and saw a huge cake being rolled out onto the stage. He smiled as he felt his friends pat him on the back.

".......Happy Birthday to you!!!"

The crowd screamed and applauded as Chris went over to make his wish.

"Take your time with this wish. We all want it to come true!" Joey said.

Chris closed his eyes and really thought about his wish. Once he figure out what he wanted, he opened his eyes and blew out all the candles. His friends and fans all cheered.

"Hold on, wait, wait! I have a present to give Chris. Close your eyes," Lance said.

Chris did as he was told and he felt a pair of hands grab and move him around. I swear if I'm at the edge of the stage when I open my eyes, they're all gonna wake-up with something wrong done to them. He felt a hand remove from his face and he let his eyes adjust to the lighting.

"Look," Lance whispered as he pointed out into the crowd.

Once Chris' vision was all clear, he followed Lance's finger out into the crowd. He scanned, not sure of what to look for until it smacked him in the face. His eyes landed on a huge poster board decorated with a large pink ribbon:

Happy Birthday, Chris!!! - Fallyn.

Chris' heart filled as his eyes met hers. Words couldn't explain how happy he was that Fallyn was standing in the audience. There was a feeling that she was doing something she wasn't supposed to, and just from first impression, he could tell that this was true. She smiled at him, erasing everything he was trying to keep hidden. The nervousness he felt backstage, wondering if she was going to be okay, disappeared. Chris had so many questions. What was she doing here? Giving Fallyn a small shrug, she pointed and mouthed "Lance". Lance did this for him. He thought of the words that Lance said before they got onstage and Chris understood.

Not wanting to waste anymore time, Chris helped to roll the cake back off the stage, getting a quick taste before running back to his spot. He waved his hand to everyone in the crowd.

"Thank you guys for the cake and of course all you fans for singing!" the crowd screamed. He glanced over at Lance and his best friends. "And thank you guys for making tonight the best birthday I've ever had."

Chris drifted his eyes down to Fallyn as he reached into his pocket to pull out a pink ribbon pin. He fastened it onto the vest pocket placed right over his heart.

"For you, Fallyn."    
Chapter End Notes:

Happy Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Happy Birthday Chris. 


Completed
Nerdily Ingenious is the author of 10 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked The Pink Ribbon also liked 48 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: chris lance