They disconnect the call and Britney hands the phone back to Larry.

 

 

 

 

"You could have told me you were calling him before you blindsided me Larry.  We're going to meet at the studio in about an hour so I best get going.  Jason, are you coming?"

 

 

 

 

"No, I'm sorry.  I have some things to handle at the office.  I'm going to be tied up all day.  Then you know I'm going to New York for a week to meet some new clients. I wish I could come though.  Will you be okay?"

 

 

 

 

"Yeah, don't worry about me.  I'll be fine.  You make sure you call me when you get to the airport if I don't see you before you leave tonight."  She reaches out and hugs him tightly.

 

 

 

 

"I love you Brit-Brat."  He says into her neck, kissing her softly.

 

 

 

 

"I love you too Jason.  Call me later on, maybe we'll have some time to go to lunch."

 

 

 

 

"I will, have a good session okay?  Call me if you need me."

 

 

 

 

"Don't worry, I will." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

An hour later...

 

 

 

 

 

 

Britney pulls up at Fantasy Factory Studios and she sees something she couldn't believe.  Parked two spots away from where she just pulled up is a baby blue BMW Roadster.  She got out of the car and walked over to it, doing a make shift inspection to see if what she saw was really true.  It still looked the same.  Everything about it took her to a time when she was young and madly in love with who she considered to be the best thing that ever happened to her. 

 

 

 

 

She'd been in love with him from the very beginning.  When she saw him walk into her vocal coach's office the first time, she was smitten.  His wild, curly hair.  The stride of his step.  His beautifully crooked smile.  Everything about him did it for her.  But most of all, she was captivated by his eyes.  Sworn up and down that she'd never seen eyes that blue before.  She watched him walk around the table with his hand out, coming to introduce himself.  Smiling brightly, he told her his name and she just matched his smile and shook her head really fast and hard.  He just looked at her with his head tilted to the side and politely said it was nice meeting her and he looked forward to getting to know her since they shared the same vocal coach.  He was almost out the door before she said 'nice meeting you' in one long run-on sentence.  He waved and walked out the door.  She'd been hooked ever since.

 

 

 

 

She puts her hand on the car, just for memory's sake.  She remembers the day she surprised him with it.  He was at his grandmother's house and she drove it up to him from where she purchased it in New Orleans.  The eight hour drive was a breeze and she just knew the shock on his face would be well worth it.  And it was.  He was so surprised and the look on his face made everything it took to get it there worth it. 

 

 

 

 

Taking another minute to look at it she slowly walked into the studio.  She opened the door to his boisterous laughter and it made her smile.  Apparently, they were the first people here besides the building manager who was in his office.  She didn't want to interrupt him so she sat quietly on the chair until he completed his phone call. 

 

 

 

 

"I don't know what time I'll be done in the studio but let me call you back.  She should be here any minute.  Yeah, I love you too, bye."

 

 

 

 

Hearing him tell anyone that he loved them kind of threw her for a loop.  She didn't know why though.  Why should that bother her after all this time?  It's not like she had any rights to him anymore.  Where did that come from?

 

 

 

 

"Hey Britney."  Justin says meekly. 

 

 

 

 

"How did you know I was here?"

 

 

 

 

"You still where the same perfume.  That and I heard you coming through the door." 

 

 

 

 

He turns around to face her and each stays where they are; resting in the awkward silence.  What do you say to the one person you loved more than anything in the world?

 

 

 

 

"So", Britney begins, "this is awkward.  Do we shake hands?  Hug?"

 

 

 

 

"We can hug."

 

 

 

 

Justin stands and stretches his arms out, awaiting her embrace.  Hesitantly, she accepts his offer and being back in his arms, if only for that moment, felt so safe yet so different.  The hug was just as comforting as it always had been but this wasn't the same Justin.  This Justin was more defined.  More manly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Justin thought the same of Britney.  This wasn't the girl he promised to protect with his life anymore.  This was a woman who had evolved into someone he didn't even know anymore.

 

 

 

 

They stayed in that embrace for a while, either not knowing when to let go.  Reluctantly, Justin pulls away first and they both instantly miss the warmth that was created between them in the short time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"So, we beat the other guys here huh?  You were always punctual."

 

 

 

 

"Some habits never go away you know.  So, how's life been treating you Justin?"

 

 

 

 

"I can't complain.  Life's been pretty good for me.  This acting thing certainly seems to be taking off."

 

 

 

 

"I saw The Social Network...very good movie."

 

 

 

 

"Thank you.  I heard about Aunt Sandra passing.  I'm so sorry, I know how much she meant to you."

 

 

 

 

"Yeah, that was pretty rough.  And thank you for saying that, I know you loved her too."

 

 

 

 

"It was hard not to love that woman.  She was amazing.  Okay, are you ready to try a little something?"  Justin asked turning his attention to the sound board.

 

 

 

 

"Sure, what do you want to do first?"

 

 

 

 

"Let's do some warm ups first then take it from there."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Three hours and four people later...

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Brit, when you go into the hook, hit it stronger.  You're commanding the circus and you need to get their attention.  Make sure you punch each line, but keep it playful.  Try to make it sound like you're enjoying what you're doing."  Justin says into the mic.  Britney just shakes her head, delivering the line the way he wanted it. 

 

 

 

 

It had been a fairly easy session so far.  They breathed through a couple ideas for other songs, nothing sticking quiet yet.  But she knew she wanted to record 'Circus' so they began on that.  Justin's writing partner James, and Dylan the sound engineer were all sitting at the controls and they'd been having a really good time.  Britney couldn't remember the last time she'd had so much fun in the studio.  There was no pressure, everything was just relaxed.  Just as it had been the last time they were in a studio together.

 

 

 

 

Everyone decides to take a lunch break at about 2:30 for an hour.  Britney took that time to pick up her sons from their respective schools and bring them home to her parents.  She rushed back to the studio, not wanting to lose the vibe they'd created.  She finds Justin sitting at a table in the corner, writing in a notepad.  He was forever writing.  From poetry, to lyrics, to just his general feelings about things, he always took time to sort through them by writing.  She'd always admired him for that.

 

 

 

 

"Hope I'm not interrupting."

 

 

 

 

He looks up at her and smiles.  She'd done such a good job with everything so far that he was impressed.  Couldn't believe that after everything they'd been through, they could sit together in a room and it'd be easy.

 

 

 

 

"No, just writing down something I got stuck in my head.  Did you ever think it'd be this easy?"

 

 

 

 

"Honestly?  No, I can't say that I did.  We haven't been this close to each other in an incredibly long time.  I'm just glad we got a chance to reconnect.  You seem to be good at keeping in contact with everyone.  Well, almost everyone."

 

 

Justin was a bit taken aback by her statement but decided to let it go.  The mood was great and he wouldn't ruin it.

 

 

 

 

"Remember the last time we were together?  We had so much fun that night."  Justin recalls wistfully.

 

 

 

 

"I'd say so.  We broke in the couch.  Every time I see a leather couch, I smirk.  Never really thought about why I smirked until now.  I still can't believe we made love while all the Jive executives were outside."  She says with a laugh.

 

 

 

 

"What was I supposed to do?  I told you if you kept teasing me, you'd get it.  I did give you fair warning."  James walks back into the room on his cell, talking loudly.

 

 

 

 

"I guess I deserved that huh.  Can I ask you a somewhat serious question?"

 

 

 

 

Feeling the sudden change in her mood, he answered a simple "Sure."

 

 

 

 

Britney thinks about what she wants to ask but she hesitates actually saying it.  She doesn't want to wreck the good mood they have established but she just had to know.

 

 

 

 

"What made you keep the car?"

 

 

 

 

Justin answers simply; "Why would I not?  I know we didn't exactly end on the best of terms but I love that car.  I haven't driven it in a while though.  Just felt the need to be around things that reminded me of you.  I'm wearing the chain you bought me as well."  Justin pulls out the somewhat gaudy, completely blinged out piece of jewelry she purchased for him for their one year anniversary. 

 

 

 

 

"I can't believe you kept that!  Justin, that's insane.  Wow, that's major man.  I'm somewhat flattered that you kept all this."

 

 

 

 

"Do you still have your car?"

 

 

 

 

"Yes, it's at my parents' house in Kentwood.  Brian drives it around every now and then and makes sure it's running correctly.  I would never get rid of that car.  I love it.  It was the first major gift you'd given me.  I can't part with it."

 

 

 

 

 

 

They look at each other intently, both trying to welcome in the newness of this situation.  Britney scoots her chair closer to his to examine the chain she personally designed for him.  She put her delicate fingers on top of his initials, checking to make sure all of the diamonds were still intact.  The 'JRT' chain sparkled back at her and she smiled in approval.  The scent of his cologne invaded her senses and brought her back to the last time they were in the studio together.  She branded it 'The Unraveling' and it truly had been.  It was the night everything in her life changed.  He takes his hand and places it on top of hers, against his heartbeat.

 

 

 

 

Suddenly, Justin breaks away from her and stands from the table, stumbling slightly. It throws her for a minute but she bounces back, trying to bring up something light.

 

 

 

 

"Remember the last time we were in the studio?  Wade and I had..."

 

 

 

 

Oh damn.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: britneystories