The memories of that night slammed against Justin like a tidal wave.  All the anger, the hurt and the sadness washed over him in that moment and he needed air.  Disheveled, he mumbled something incoherently and walked outside, slamming the door against the wall. She gave him a few minutes to himself before joining him outside.

 

 

 

 

"Justin, are you alright?"

 

 

 

 

"Let's just put this to rest once and for all okay?"  He replies frantically.

 

 

 

 

"What are you talking about?"

 

 

 

 

"Dammit Britney don't play stupid right now.  You and I both know there's way too much unsaid between us."

 

 

 

 

"Justin don't.  That was eight years ago.  I thought we could just move on.  Start over with a clean slate.  Maybe some things are better left unsaid.  Your words, not mine."

 

 

 

 

"Really Britney?  Right now?"

 

 

 

 

 

"Isn't that the point?  To air out our grievances?  That shit hurt Justin.  Why did you have to come at me like that?  I was more than willing to try to talk to you but you wouldn't hear it.  And to add insult to injury, you go and pick a girl that looks similar to me.  You did that shit on purpose!  You knew it would hurt.  You got your point across, that's for sure."

 

 

 

 

"You hurt me Brit!  More than anyone ever could or would again.  Look at us.  We were doing well but we can't even get a good dialogue going to make a song stick.  It's hard to be around you and not think of what was.  How are we supposed to write about love?"

 

 

 

 

"It happened a long time ago J.  We did love each other at one time.  Why can't we just tap into that, find whatever we need to find to get through this and be done with it? You agreed to this knowing how hard it would be.  I'm trying my damndest to move on, why can't you?"

 

 

 

 

"I just want to know why. You didn't even have the decency to give me an explanation. All the love I gave deserved an explanation. Don't you think? What if the shoe were on the other foot? What if I'd gone and torn your heart out of your chest and danced all over it?  Wouldn't you want an explanation? Something to tell you that it's not your fault. Something to keep you from hating yourself at night. Huh?"

 

 

 

 

"Justin I don't know how many times I have to say I'm sorry! I'm sorry alright. I never, ever meant to hurt you but dammit, it happened and I can't take it back. I hate myself for what I did to you. Can't you see that?! Don't you know what I've put myself through? It's been all over the news ever since we split. Do you know how hard it's been watching you stay friends with all of your other exes?  It was like you just said fuck everything we'd ever meant to each other.  Bottom line, we BOTH did things in the relationship that contributed to the end. And we BOTH need to own up to that."

 

 

 

 

"Do not bring Cameron and Jessica into this.  And what did I do? What do I have to own up to? The fact that I loved you unconditionally? Or that I allowed you and me become bigger than my four brothers?"

 

 

 

 

"Is that what you think? I never asked you to do that Justin! Ever. We both understood that our careers came first for the time being. You weren't there. Not when it counted. Mr. High and Mighty couldn't take a day to come visit me on tour. Why was it that when it counted, I made the sacrifices? I did what it took to keep the relationship afloat and you didn't. You weren't there when I needed you. I NEEDED YOU!" Britney says in a fit of sobs.  Justin crying as well, replies,

 

 

 

 

"I couldn't make one-man decisions in the group, Britney! I told you this then and I'll tell you the same thing now! I couldn't be selfish when four other men depended on me. If you'd stuck with me a little longer, I could have shown you that I was willing to cancel a tour for you. Going solo, I did it just as much for me as I did it for us. But, you weren't there. You'd had your fun," he finishes sarcastically.

 

 

"And you didn't? What about you and the constant flirting? And doing this movie, and that interview, and that sporting event or whatever. You went solo because you wanted to. Don't put that on me. I understood the group dynamic but Justin, you pretty much ran the show. Whatever you wanted to do, they listened because they were and are all about supporting you."

 

 

 

 

"All of your continuous commitments were driving me crazy.  You never looked under the surface because you needed everything to be good in your world.  And at first, I was okay with that because I loved you.  But as time went on, you got more and more selfish.  I kept telling you I needed more of your time but you didn't listen.  The weekend here, the day there, it wasn't enough.  You know I crave intimacy.  I needed you there for me more than you were willing to be.  Sometimes, I just needed your attention.  I needed to feel like I was just as important to you as you were to me.  So while you were off being Superstar, I was slowly slipping away and you just weren't there.  It wasn't my entire fault Justin.  I'm not excusing what happened but that's the truth.  I never meant to hurt you. How can I fix us?  Tell me how to fix us."  Britney says, her mood going from sorrowful, to fits of anger, back to sadness. 

 

 

 

 

Justin walks up to her and wraps her in his arms again.  He feels as though they've reached some kind of breakthrough.  Smoothing his hand up and down her back, he tries to calm her down.  He never realized he'd been as much a part of their demise as she had.  She only did physically what he hadn't done emotionally.

 

 

 

 

"I'm sorry Brit.  I never knew your side and for that I apologize.  I should have given you the chance to explain what how you felt about us.  I was so concerned with my feelings that I just didn't care how you felt.  I'm really sorry."

 

 

 

 

"So am I.  You just don't know how bad it's been for me.  All the shit that's been played out through the press is nothing compared to what my everyday life was like.  I couldn't escape it, no matter how hard I tried.  And believe me I tried.  You were everywhere!  In the grocery store, at the bookstore, even at the spa.  I just couldn't get you out of my head.  I'll never forget the look on your face when you found out.  It haunts me even now.  I can't shake it."

 

 

 

 

Justin takes her hand and leads her to his car, sitting her in the passenger seat before going over to sit beside her behind the wheel.  They sat there in silence watching the dusk settle into the night.  It was beautiful out the moment felt completely serene.  Britney reached over and grabbed his hand stroking it lightly with the pad of her thumb.

 

 

 

 

"How'd you know Jessica and I had broken up?"

 

 

 

 

"I told you I can't shake you no matter how hard I try.  I keep up with the goings on in your life every now and then.  I heard it through the grapevine."

 

 

 

 

"I see. I still can't believe you married 'the dancer'."  Justin says laughing and she withdraws her hand from his momentarily.  He grabs her hand into his this time, and they lock fingers.  Eventually, she laughs along with him.

 

 

 

 

"Just like I can't believe you were in a relationship with 'Man Hands' Diaz.  We've both made some interesting choices in the aftermath of us.  I did get two beautiful boys out of the deal."  She says going into her back pocket, pulling out the picture of the three of them together sitting at the Christmas tree.  He looks at them sitting there as a family and it brings a tear to his eye.

 

 

 

 

"They're beautiful Brit.  And so big too.  You must be one proud mommy."

 

 

 

 

"I am."  He looks at her with sincerity in his eyes and barely above a whisper says...

 

 

 

 

"Those were supposed to be our kids."

 

 

 

 

Britney smiles and says a quiet 'I know'.

 

 

 

 

"Just letting you know, you're the best I've ever had."  She's not sure she heard him right so she asks,

 

 

 

 

"What?"

 

 

 

 

"I said, I've never had better."

 

 

 

 

"Neither have I.  I don't think I ever will.  It was so beyond just sex with you.  I know we were young then but I swear it's never been the same with anyone else.  You made love to my heart and my body.  Every touch was tender.  Every kiss felt new.  I'm convinced that it'll never, ever be what it was with you."

 

 

 

 

"I know what you mean.  I mean I've had great sex since but yeah, it's never topped anything we ever did together.  If only our lives together had worked out the way it was supposed to."

 

 

 

 

With a sigh she looks over to him and smiles.  She hopes that they can grow on this new found space they've entered into.  She wants to be a part of his life and she hopes he'll allow them to do so.  She doesn't expect to be all buddy buddy right now but at least, they can slowly heal...together.

 

 

 

 

"If only.  Those may be the two saddest words in the world."


Completed
Keediluv is the author of 22 other stories.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: britneystories