Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you guys enjoy :)

 

 

“I’m really sorry about the photographers Soph,” Justin said quietly as he slid out of the front seat of their chauffeured Range Rover. She was already at work unbuckling Theodore from his car seat, and he noticed her pursed lips and concentrated stare, and in an instant he knew that she was upset.

  

Sophia sighed, securing Theo in her arms protectively, “Maybe we should discuss some alternate living options until this whole ‘Pop star becomes a daddy’ story dies down.”

  

“You want me to move?”

  

“Not for good, but maybe we could stay at the penthouse in the hotel until things get a little less crazy around here. The hotel has 24 hour security, and the paps have to maintain a 100 yard perimeter.”

  

Lifting Theo’s diaper bag onto his shoulder, he led the way into the house, pausing to hold the door open for his ex-girlfriend and his best friend’s infant child. “If that’s what you want, we can stay there for a little while.”

  

Sophia smiled genuinely, “Thank you Justin.”

  

He watched as she sat primly on his couch, as she’d done countless times before, this time balancing Theo on her slender knees, bouncing him lightly, and causing him to giggle uncontrollably. “You’re good with him,” he commented as he looked on.

  

“Than—,” she began to say, but was cut off by another voice entering the room.

  

“J!!” the girl squealed, running up to him and kissing his lips. “I didn’t know you were home!!”

  

Jessica Biel. Sophia knew the girl from magazines and maybe had even seen a movie or two she’d been in. Not worthy of remembering the title, that’s for damn sure.

  

Sophia looked away from the embraced, but listened as he greeted her. “Hey Jess. What’re you doing here?”

  

“I got back a few days ago so I grabbed a bag of stuff from my place and came on over. I wasn’t sure when you’d be back, so I just waited. So sorry I couldn’t make it to the funeral baby,” she cooed like a child, “I just couldn’t possibly get away.”

  

Sophia noticed Justin didn’t respond immediately, so instead she took the opportunity to stand up. Supporting Theo with one arm, she smoothed out the skirt of her Marc Jacobs dress before sticking her hand out to the woman. “Hello, you must be Jessica.” The moment that Jess’s eyes locked with Sophia’s own, she knew that she’d caught the girl by surprise. Justin had obviously not revealed what had gone on in New York. In fact, she wondered if he’d spoken to her at all while he’d been there.

  

Jessica extended her hand cautiously once she detached herself from Justin, and with a slight nod she responded, “And you are?”

  

Sophia did not miss the ice in her tone as she spoke the few words. “Sophia Carmichael.” She let the recognition wash over the girl before turning her attention to Justin. “Justin, I’m going to have Mike take Theodore and I over to the hotel so you can…” she hesistated, “um, do whatever you have to do here.”

  

Justin stuttered, obviously uncomfortable with having his old girlfriend and current one in the same room together, “Uh, yeah, okay. That sounds good.” He seemed to gain his bearings, “Theo’s bags are still in the car right?”

  

Sophia nodded, “I’ve got everything I need.”

  

He walked over to the two briefly, placing a kiss on Theo’s head and capturing Sophia’s gaze, “I’ll see you guys in a bit okay?”

  

“Take your time; just ask for the Carmichael Penthouse Suite when you get there.”

  

“What? Get where?” Jessica asked, confused, but Sophia didn’t stay long enough to hear the answer. She was out the door in a flash.

  

Back inside, Justin was attempting to gather his thoughts. He hadn’t expected Jessica to be at his house when they arrived. Hell, he had no idea where she was for the past week. Her cell went unanswered, and he’d had no word from her since the day he left.

  

“Justin, what the hell is going on? Why is she here?” she threw a nasty glance at the door Sophia had long since disappeared through.

  

“Jessica, I tried calling all week. Where the hell have you been?” he asked, frustrated.

  

“I was working Justin. You know that.”

  

“And your cell?”

  

“Look Justin, it’s been a tough week. I don’t need the third degree. I was working, bottom line. Drop it.”

  

“A tough week Jess?” his voice was calm at first, but escalated, “You’ve had a tough week?! I buried my best friend in the world and his wife this week. I became a parent this week Jessica. And you think the filming of some low budget, straight to DVD romantic comedy gave you a tough week?”

  

Her mouth fell open in shock, “I can’t believe you just said that to me.”

  

“Jesus Jessica, stop thinking about yourself for once!!” he screamed, grabbing his suitcase and storming up the stairs.

  

As he stood in his room, tossing his dirty laundry from his suitcase into the laundry hamper, he quickly repacked the bag with fresh clothes. Even when he noticed her standing in the doorway he refused to look up.

  

“Look Justin, I’m sorry. I apologize for not keeping in touch this week—I guess I wasn’t sure how to deal with it if you needed someone to talk to. I wouldn’t know what to say.”

  

“Sometimes it’s not about saying the right thing Jess, it’s just about being there when someone you love needs them. It’s support.”

  

“So what happened in New York?” she asked, wondering mostly why his ex-girlfriend—his incredibly fancy, gorgeous ex-girlfriend was just sitting in his living room. She wouldn’t tell him that’s what she was referring to mostly—she was already on thin ice.

  

“They gave custody of Theodore to Sophia and I. Together.”

  

“What do you mean ‘together’?”

  

“As in we have to reside under one roof. And that roof is going to be over at the Carmichael Beverly Hills until this whole thing dies down. The press is hounding the house.”

  

“Wait, wait, wait a minute. You two are going to be living together? You and your ex-girlfriend are going to be playing house?”

  

“Jess, you know it’s not like that. This is for Theo.” He watched as she threw her arms up in the air. “Oh, if it’s for Theo then, by all means. Go live in some hotel suite with your rich, designer dressed, tight ass of an ex-girlfriend!!”

  

“Jessica, stop!! God, grow up. This is what Trace and Alina wanted for their child. Who am I to go against the one thing they asked of me?"

  

“Are you punishing me?” she asked in a low tone. “For not coming to New York? For not being there for you?”

  

He zipped up the suitcase quickly, lifting it off the bed with ease and moving towards where she stood. Looking directly in her eyes he told her, “Not everything is about you Jessica.” And then, without another word, he made his exit.

 

   


 

  

Sitting in the library of the hotel suite, Sophia finally allowed herself to relax—the first time in days it felt like. Her mind was racing at all hours of the day, trying to organize the tasks of raising Theodore, moving cross country, and finally, attempting to dissect the situation that’d brought Justin back into her life. Two years ago he’d been so central in her life that she could barely imagine living without him. And then, one day, he was gone. The pressure of New York Society had outweighed his love for her it seemed, and when faced with the choice of her family or him, she simply couldn’t make a decision. So Justin took it into his own hands and decided for her. It wasn’t that she didn’t love him—in fact, if she was really honest with herself, she still harbored deep feelings for him. But at that point in time, her older sister Alina had just stepped out of her role as heir to the family business, and estranged herself from her parents to marry Trace. Sophia couldn’t do that to them again; it would’ve destroyed them.

 

 

  

 

 

Justin stood at the cracked door of the suite library unannounced and unseen, and took the moment to watch her. If it was even possible, she’d gotten even more beautiful in the past two years. Her long chestnut hair fell in her signature loose waves around her shoulders, porcelain skin glowing as usual, her delicate frame—she reminded him of a doll. She was always dressed to the nines—that much hadn’t changed, but she was more serious than he remembered. I suppose that was the effect of the past, of the recent loss of her sister, and the gain of this overwhelming new responsibility. His heart ached a bit as he continued to watch her, her eyes closing as she leaned her head back in her chair. She looked stressed, which he knew to be true. He raised a hand and knocked lightly on the door, “Soph?” He watched as her pretty brown eyes fluttered open, turning to glance in his direction.

  

“Oh hey,” Sophia responded, sitting up a bit straighter, “I didn’t know you were here yet.”

  

He cleared his voice, “Just got here actually. Checked on Theo just a few minutes ago and he’s still sleeping.”

  

“Oh thanks. How’d it go with Jessica?”

  

“It was…it was interesting. Didn’t expect much, so her reaction wasn’t surprising,” Justin told her carefully, walking over to where she sat.

  

“Are things okay between you two?”

  

“I don’t really know. I didn’t know you knew Jessica and I were dating.”

  

“Alina mentioned it a few times.”

  

Justin nodded, “Are you seeing anyone?”

  

“I am. Courtland Ford, I’m not sure if you know him.”

  

“I’ve heard the name before,” he said in recognition. “How long have you two been together?”

  

“About a year, give or take a bit.”

  

“And his reaction to this whole situation?” he wondered.

  

“To be honest, he wanted to get married.”

  

“What? Really?” Justin felt like he’d been punched in the stomach.

  

“Yes, but I quickly put an end to that line of thinking.”

  

“Oh good. I mean, if that’s what you want it’s good,” he stumbled, obviously relieved.

  

Sophia laughed lightly, “I don’t want to get married, so yes, it’s good.”

  

“Married ever? Or to him?”

  

Sophia was surprised he asked the question, and wasn’t sure how to answer. Honestly, the only man that she had ever pictured herself marrying was Justin—but she wouldn’t let him know that; nor the fact that the idea of marrying Courtland scared her to no end. That union had the potential of becoming distinctly similar to that of her parents, and that notion made her sick to her stomach. “I want to get married eventually. To who is still a mystery,” she responded simply.

  

He wasn’t sure how to feel about her answer, and he wondered if she’d ever thought about marrying him. He’d surely imagined it all the time back then. The sound of a cry coming from the baby monitor beside her interrupted his thoughts.

  

Sophia stood up quickly at the sound of Theodore.

  

“I’ll get him,” Justin assured her. “You relax.”

  

“Are you sure?”

  

“Positive.”

 

 

Maybe this whole co-parenting wouldn’t be as hard as they thought.

 


 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Reviews would be nice :)

Incomplete
rosaleighwrites is the author of 2 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Family Matters also liked 183 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story