“But she’s having his baby, Karen,” he whispered. “I can’t just stand by and make her go through something like that alone.”

“You can’t walk,” she reminded him. “That’s a much bigger issue than your friend’s girlfriend having a baby. But, I’m not going to tell you that you’re not doing the right thing. In my life I’ve learned, that when your heart tells you something…you need to do it, or you’ll regret it. I’m not trying to stand in your way Justin. I just know that I can’t put my life on hold to help you right now.”

He sighed. He wanted to protest more…to beg her to reconsider again, but he knew there was no sense in getting worked up over this any further. Karen had made up her mind, and Justin knew the only way he could continue his therapy with her was to stay at the ranch. But he couldn’t. He owed it to Trace to do this for Elisha. “Okay,” he said after a while. “I understand.”

“I’m sorry,” she nodded. “I really am.”

He forced a smile, even though he knew Karen could see right through it. “Don’t be. I mean, I’ve come this far. I’m sure whoever you get to take over will be fine.” He tried to make himself believe his words, but he knew he couldn’t. He wasn’t even comfortable facing his own mother today…how the hell was he supposed to work with a new doctor that knew nothing about him…about his situation?

Then the doorbell rang, and both he and Karen seemed to tense up at the same time

“You ready for this?” Karen said, beginning to unfasten the strap that secured him to the board.

“No.”

She smiled.

*********

Somebody was at the door.

“I’ll get it!” Sheridan called out, knowing that her mother was still working Justin through his morning routine. She finished wiping the last of her nightly facial mask off, not wanting to scare whoever it was that was at the door, and hurried out of the bathroom and down the stairs. Hearing the bing bonging of the doorbell again, she quickened her step, and finally arrived at the front door. She smoothed her back into place and neatened the blouse she’d threw on just moments ago.

She knew it could only be one person.

She barely noticed herself open the door. That moment was mostly a blur. She was more concerned about greeting the party on the other side…knowing how important it was for her to make a good first impression with this woman. With the door out of her way, she peered out…immediately coming face to face with a woman that she was positive was Justin’s mother. She stood with her head held high, and showed a confidence that she knew Justin had probably mirrored at one point in his life. She was middle aged, but if Sheridan didn’t know better, she wouldn’t’ have been able to tell that she was past thirty five. She dressed well…like a young woman…low rise boot cut jeans and a tiny little top. Something right out of a music video. Sheridan almost smiled, but held back knowing it wasn’t the time or the place…

Only Justin’s mother could pull off an outfit like that and not get criticized for it. Now she knew where Justin got it from.

“Hello,” Justin’s mother said, walking up the few steps that led up to the house. “I’m Lynn.” She didn’t offer a handshake, and simply look past her. “Where is my son?”

“Um…,” Sheridan looked down at the floor before meeting the Lynn’s gaze again. “I think…my mom…she’s helping him get dressed.”

Lynn focused her gaze on her. “Your mother,” she stated.

Sheridan nodded slowly. It was obvious that Lynn knew exactly who she was…and she wanted nothing to do with her. Lynn hated her. Absolutely hated her.

Lynn half smiled, but it disappeared as quickly as it came about. “So you must be Sheridan then.”

“Yes,” Sheridan nodded again. “It’s good to meet you. Justin talks about you all the time.”

“Well,“ Lynn frowned, clearing her throat loudly. “It‘s nice to know that he thinks about me…sometimes.”

Her ears began to ring. She couldn’t focus. This was too much…Justin leaving…Lynn coming, and automatically giving her the cold shoulder without getting to know her at all. “I…”

“Don‘t bother,” Lynn grunted, pushing her way past Sheridan and into the house.

Bitter wasn’t the word to describe this woman. But Sheridan couldn’t really blame her for the way she was acting. She couldn’t’ begin to imagine the hell she was going through…her only son having lost nearly everything of importance to him, after being so successful. She wanted to reach out to her…to tell her that Justin was going to be okay. That she cared about him and would help him get better no matter what it took. But she knew Lynn didn’t want to hear it. The only thing Sheridan was sure she wanted to do…was get Justin packed and out the door as soon as she could.

“How is he…adjusting?”

She nearly let out a frightened shriek, at the sound of Lynn’s voice. She turned around, and heard herself say. “Adjusting?”

“Yes,” Lynn nodded, crossing the room to take a seat on the sofa. “To this…his therapy and such.”

“He’s…I think he’s starting to come around,” she informed her. “But only just. I mean…you shouldn’t worry so much. He’s really…such a strong person, Mrs. Timberlake.”

“Harless,” she snapped. “And I highly doubt he’s coming around if you’re constantly around…distracting him with this so called relationship of yours.” She glared at her once more before picking up a magazine from the coffee table, and hiding her face behind it.

Shit. “Sorry,’ she said softly.

“Momma?”

Sheridan looked over her shoulder. Justin had arrived, accompanied by her mother of course. The look in his eyes was unlike anything else she’d seen from him before. He looked so happy, so full of life…so complete. Almost like a part of him had just been put back in. She smiled at him, but noticed that he wasn’t even looking her way.

“Momma,” he said again. “It’s so good to see you.”

Lynn smiled, and threw down the magazine. She immediately jumped up from the sofa to greet her son. The reunion was like something off a Maury Povich show. She cried…he cried. Hell, Sheridan was sure her mother had tears in her eyes too.

But Sheridan wasn’t crying. All she could do was stand there, knowing that she could never, ever be good enough for Justin in his mother’s eyes. Suddenly, what took place between them yesterday didn’t seem to matter anymore. She was sure Justin was past it. He had too much on his mind now…his mother being here, what was going to happen in the coming weeks ahead.

How he was going to start his life all over again…without her.

“Momma,” Justin said, meeting Sheridan’s gaze this time. “This is Sheridan.”

Her eyes widened, and she looked over at them. Lynn was forcing a smile now.

“We met before,” she told him, planting a soft kiss on his forehead. “How do you feel?”

He shrugged, and glanced back at Karen.

“He’s been doing very well, Lynn,” her mother informed Lynn. “And if he continues at the pace he’s going now, I think he could start to get some feeling back in those legs as early as next month. I just…I wish we had a little more time. I don’t feel I’ve fully touched base with him yet.”

“Well…you know the situation, Karen,” Lynn nodded. “Justin’s friends are a major priority…they always have been. There isn’t any other alternative here.”

Yes there is…you can go take care of Elisha, and he can just stay here. Sheridan wanted to say the words so badly, but knew it would do no good at this point. It was obvious that Lynn was loving the idea of Justin moving back home…probably so she could watch over him night and day.

Probably so she could convince him that he didn’t need to be in a relationship on top of everything else he had going on.

“Let’s talk inside,” her mother suggested, motioning toward her office. “I have some things I would like to go over with the both of you.”

“Sounds good to me,” Lynn nodded, flashing a smile at her son. “Then maybe later…you and I can go to lunch and catch up, if that’s okay with you Karen.”

Her mother nodded. “I don’t see a problem with that. Sheridan…”

She snapped out of her daze, and looked at her mother. “Yeah?”

“Why don’t you go get that iced tea out of the fridge.”

“Oh…,” she said, a little hesitantly. “Yeah, sure.”

“I’ll help,” she heard Justin say.

“Justin no,” Lynn spoke up. “You’re much too tired for that sort of thing. I’m sure you’ve been up all morning working out.”

Sheridan rolled her eyes, and decided she’d be better off going into the kitchen where she couldn’t hear Lynn’s voice anymore. Once she made it there though, she was only at peace for a few moments before she heard the familiar sound of tires running across the tile floor.

“What’re you doin?”

She turned to face Justin. He had a distraught look on his face, as if he knew exactly what went on between his mother and herself just minutes ago. “Getting the beverages,” she told him, turning on her heel and walking over to the refrigerator. “Shouldn’t you be with your mom?”

“Sheridan.”

“What?” She grunted, swinging the refrigerator door open harshly.

“Did my mom say something to you?”

“No,” she lied. “I hardly got a chance to talk to her.”

“Then what’s the problem?”

“Nothing!” she exclaimed, once she’d pulled the iced tea out of the refrigerator.

“You’re a horrible liar.”

She glared at him, and pulled three cups out of the cabinet above her head. “Could you just worry about yourself for once…please? I’ll be fine. I just…I need to get some air. I think I’m going to go out--”

“You’re going to run away,” he interrupted. “Right?”

“Shut up Justin.”

“Oh so I’m right then,” he smirked.

She finished pouring, and slammed the pitcher down on the counter top. “You know what…fine. I tried okay? I tried to be nice, and smile and be little miss perfect for her. And you know what…she doesn’t care. She doesn’t want to hear about how much I care about you…all she wants to do is fall all over herself to baby you, and make me look bad. So it’s fine. I’m not about to deal with that…I don’t need it.”

“My mother has issues she needs to take care of,” he said softly. “But…our relationship has nothing to do with that. She’s just…she’s afraid Sheridan. Trace was like a son to her. It’s like…she lost one son…and she’s terrified of losing the other. You gotta understand…”

“I’m not…I’m not strong enough to deal with all of this,” Sheridan cried. “I have enough trouble dealing with myself…with who I am, without somebody like her stepping in, making me feel like I have no business breathing the same air as you. Justin, I care about you…and I probably always will. But…I’m not up for this. I’m just not.”

He stared back at her. He looked lost, confused…hurt. Like she’d just yanked his heart out of his chest and stepped all over it. “You’re not up for what?” he whispered.

She wouldn’t look at him.

“You’re not up for what!” he yelled. “Come on Sher…say it! Just fuckin say it! One person tells you you‘re not good enough for me and immediately…what we have doesn‘t matter? What the hell is wrong with you? Do you have any idea how many people are going to say that to you…to me? Who the hell cares what they think Sheridan? This is about us…you and me…Justin and Sheridan. It’s not about Karen…or my mom, or Elisha. It’s just about us. Yesterday….I thought we really connected yesterday.”

“No,” she said, not being able to hold back her sobs anymore. “It was just…it was just touching, and feeling. It didn‘t have any real meaning behind it Justin…it was just something that happened. We were alone…and it just happened.”

He clenched his jaw and shook his head. “That‘s not true. It meant something to me, and you can just…kiss my ass if you want me to believe that it didn’t mean anything to you. Sheridan, I know being…intimate like that meant something to you.”

“You’re wrong,” she said, trying to get herself to believe what she was saying. She couldn’t. Justin was right.

She was a horrible liar.

“You know, that’s messed up Sheridan. I’ll just…fuck,” he sighed, rubbing a hand across the top of his head. Then he looked at her again, his eyes glossed over as if he were about to lose it. “…I’ll just be inside.”

She nodded, but didn’t respond. A moment later he wheeled himself past her and out of the kitchen. She steadied herself against the counter, silently letting herself cry. What the hell happened? Everything was going so great between them…and now his mother had managed to put a stop to it all.

But maybe…unconsciously…that was what she wanted all along.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: justinandtrace