“You don’t know what’s best!” he yelled, and pointed his finger at her. “You always…you always think you do, but you just…you don’t okay? You had your chance to be there for me when I first had the accident, and Trace died. You could have done this with me. We could have done it all together, but you sent me away and I fucking…I found somebody else who wanted to be there for me. And you’ve held that against me mom.” His bottom lip trembled, and he tried not to let his emotions spill out all over the place, but he couldn’t help it. The tears came fast, and steady, and he found that he couldn’t stop crying. “So don’t tell me about what’s best,” he sobbed. “The only one that knows about any of it is Sheridan.”

“Fine.”

When he finally found the strength to look up at his mother again, it was too late. She was gone, and he was all alone. He heard a door slam somewhere upstairs, and he knew he’d really pissed her off. Part of him knew that some of the things he’d said were out of line. She was trying her best…she really was, and he wasn’t’ really giving anything she was doing a chance. But then he also knew she hadn’t been around for him like he knew she should have been. She brought him to Karen’s. She left him there. Then Sheridan came along…and she cared, and she understood, and she stuck by him. How could his mother blame him for becoming emotionally and physically attached to her. For the first time that day, he felt Sheridan’s anger. He knew what it felt like. And it wasn’t’ fair.

“Did I miss something?”

He looked up. Elisha was standing in the doorway, suitcases in hand. He shook his head, partly in response to her question, and partly because he felt horrible that he couldn’t really help her with her luggage. “Nothing.” But his voice cracked, and he hiccupped a little bit. “You okay?”

Elisha gave him a sympathetic look, and dropped her suitcases. “Don’t be all stubborn,” she whispered. “You had another fight with her didn’t you?”

He rubbed his eyes with one of his hands. “I’d tell you if I knew you wouldn’t worry.”

“I worry regardless.”

He felt one of her hands fall on his cheek, and it caused him to look up at her again. In her eyes…he could see that strong confidence that Trace had always had about him. It was like part of him was in her now, and he reached out and grabbed onto her hand. “Thank you.”

She sucked in a long breath, and pecked him softly on the cheek. “You can always talk to me, Justin. I wont…talk you down or anything, okay?”

He squeezed her hand. “I know. I’m,…I’m really glad that you’re hear ‘lish.”

“It’s a boy you know.”

Justin’s eyes darted over to the doorway. Trace was back…again, and it confused him. He figured the first run in was more of a welcome home bonus deal. But now Trace was back again, and talking about the baby of all things. He couldn’t say anything though, not with Elisha there. So instead he just stared at his friend, like he was crazy.

“He’s gonna have her eyes, and my nose,” Trace chuckled. “Cute kid. I just hope that he doesn’t inherit his height from my side of the family.”

“She got you a new wheelchair,” Elisha pointed out.

“Yeah,” Justin sighed, shooting a glance at Trace. “I hate it.”

“I would too,” Trace laughed. “You’re like, half man…half machine now.”

He glared at Trace. He was looking for sympathy, not criticism.

She shrugged. “It must be easier for you though,” she nodded. “You don’t have to wheel yourself anymore.”

“But that was the point. It kept my strength up,” he sighed. “And she just doesn’t get it. This new doctor she got for me has more say in my life than I do.”

Elisha sighed, and sat down on the arm of the sofa. “You have to understand her perspective too, Justin.”

“I’ve tried,” he groaned. “God, I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve tried, Elisha. She just doesn’t want to listen to me. I’m just the crippled guy.”

“God,” she chuckled. “You sound just like Trace. Stubborn as a mule.”

“So I had a few downfalls baby,” Trace sighed. He came up behind her, and Justin gasped as Trace put his hands on her shoulders. “But you know, I had more good qualities than bad.”

“God, it’s cold in here,” Elisha shivered, and shrugged her shoulders a bit.

Justin gasped.

“Did your mom pump up the ac, Justin?”

He looked at Trace again. “I um…I dunno,” he said quickly. He was confused. Could Elisha feel him? Was Trace really there?

“Fuck man,” Trace groaned. “I miss her like…god, you have no idea.” He shook his head roughly, and stepped back from her. Justin thought he might have been able to see tears in Trace’s eyes too, but then he vanished, and Justin never got to find out.

“Well, I’m going to find out,” Elisha giggled. “I don’t need to be sick right now, and you certainly don’t need to be either. Do you need anything?”

“No…” he said, his mind only half with her. “I’m fine.”

“Okay well…I’ll be back in a bit to talk about our plans.” She picked up her suitcases, and flashed him another reassuring smile. “Welcome home, Justin.”

He watched her go, and let out a heavy sigh. “Some welcome,” he muttered.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: justinandtrace