“Haven’t learned anything yet, I see.” Minnie appears out of thin air with a loud pop, and I roll my eyes. You’d think I’d be used to this shit by now, but no matter how many times or ways she does it, it still surprises and annoys the hell out of me.

“Maybe if you’d tell me what the fuck I’m supposed to be learning, I could accomplish something.”

She lets out a long sigh and shakes her head sadly. “Justin, Justin, Justin… didn’t I tell you that YOU had to figure that out? Granted, it’s been ten years, but I remember that part quite clearly.”

“Uhh… no. You told me I had to figure out how to break the curse.”

“Oh don’t nitpick. It’s not very attractive.” She smirks and I roll my eyes again. “So anyway… how’s this gig working out? Looks like you’ve got a pretty nice window this time. That glass is like… invisible.”

“Oh yeah. It’s fan-fucking-tastic.”

“Well that’s good.” She nods slowly, her eyes scanning over the beach themed display. “You’ll be glad to know the older gentleman from your last store is recovering from his heart attack nicely.”

“Don’t even go there. That was totally your fault. You’re the one who told me to yell surprise when he opened the door!”

“It’s not my fault you listened. Anyway… this girl… how’d she take it?”

“The usual. Complete and utter disbelief. Wouldn’t even get me a god damn sandwich.”

“How dare she!”

She’s mocking me. I know this. But, I suppose that’s the one thing I have gotten used to. Really, at this point, I don’t even care how much she makes fun of me, I’d just like some fucking answers. Not once in the last ten years has she answered a single one of my ninety million questions.

Honestly, if this is how I have to spend eternity, I think she at least owes me that much. And you know what, today seems like as good a day as any to ask for the ten thousandth time. May as well give it a shot, right?

“Look… I get that there’s supposed to be some big life lesson in all of this, and I am totally ok with learning that lesson. I’d just… I’d like a hint.”

“People in hell want ice water, you know.” Suddenly, there’s a bottle of nail polish in her hands and she begins to paint her nails, like it’s the most interesting thing on the planet. I’m pretty sure she’s the devil.

“Min… c’mon. We’ve been going through this for a decade. I’ve put up with your shit this whole time, and all I’ve asked is for a little fucking guidance. You put me here, for no god damn reason, mind you. So could you please, just give me a hint, or something?”

“Fine.” She sighs and rolls her eyes in annoyance. “I will grant you… two questions.”

“So you’re a genie, then?”

“Please. Everybody knows genie’s aren’t real.” She giggles and shakes her head. “Now, I’d suggest you make your last question a good one.”

“What? That’s… that so didn’t count!”

“You asked if I was a genie, and I answered. Now… last question, and make it quick. I have places to be.”

This is bullshit.

She knows damn well there’s a million different things I need to ask her. Then again, this shouldn’t surprise me. This… I guess we’ll call her a chick, even though I’m not exactly sure what she is anymore. So, to continue… this chick has spent ten years making my life miserable.

She turned me into a mannequin, for Christ sake. And let me be the first to tell you… being a mannequin sucks ass. Number one, you spend all god damn day on your feet. 99 percent of the time, you’re alone. And believe it or not, you can’t reveal yourself to just anybody.

Minnie has never attempted to explain the rules to me, but for some reason, I can reveal myself to just one person, in each location. And so far, my track record ain’t looking too good.

In my first store, the window dresser was about four days older than god. I’m pretty sure she couldn’t have told the difference between me and a talking dog. So, Minnie pulled me out of there after just three weeks.

Store number two was this hipster joint somewhere in California. The window dresser there was way into LSD, so naturally… my appearance did nothing but convince the girl that she on a fucking awesome trip.

Three and four were probably the least exciting. After my first appearance, both window dressers resigned, and I’m pretty sure they both checked themselves into psych wards.

For awhile, I just gave up. Most people were convinced they were dreaming or hallucinating, and it just wasn’t worth my time to convince them otherwise. The more stubborn I was, the quicker Minnie pulled me out. Then, there was the previously mentioned old heart attack man. And for the record… it really was Minnie’s fault.

And that, has led us here.

“Alright… I want to know… why only certain people?”

“Ugh… couldn’t you pick something easier? Why do you have to ask one of the most complicated questions? Honestly Justin… sometimes, I wish I would have found another way to exact my revenge.” She frowns, and nods to herself. “Ok, it’s… it’s kind of like a kid who believes in Santa Claus. Some people just have the ability to suspend their disbelief.”

“Umm… obviously not, because they all always think they’re insane.”

“I’m not saying they believe mannequins can come to life. It’s… They just have a certain mindset that makes them believe there’s a slight chance that what they’re seeing could be real. And yes… after seeing you, every single one of them had a moment of ‘ok, maybe I’m not crazy and this is actually happening.’ Even if it was just a split second, they all had that moment. And when you come in contact with that specific type of person, the magic just… kicks in.”

“I can’t believe I wasted my question on that.”

“Well, you did.” She smirks and hops down from her perch on the mock lifeguard tower. “Now… because I’m like, the nicest non-genie ever, I’m going to give you some advice. A big step to learning your lesson is going to be making someone believe. And I’ll tell you this… this Riley girl seems like a really, really good candidate.”

“Aw, Min… it’s like you want me to figure this out.” I smile sarcastically and she rolls her eyes.

“Meh… sort of. Mostly because I don’t want to spend eternity dealing with your whiney ass. Now, I’ve got things to do, people to see. So, behave yourself, yada, yada, yada.” With another loud pop, she vanishes and I’m alone again.

You know… I’m definitely not a fan of this whole mannequin bit, but it might be semi-tolerable if they’d at least give me some decent friggen clothes. Just throwin that out there.

 

*********************

 

Ok, I’m going to make a confession here.

I haven’t slept in two days. And I’ve done everything humanly possible to avoid our main window.

I mean, obviously, I know there’s no way that a mannequin talked to me. It’s… it’s ridiculous, I’m sure we can all agree on that. So, I’m going to blame my hallucination on lack of sleep, or my mind playing tricks on me. This stuff just doesn’t happen, and any rational person knows that.

But, I’m still freaked out enough to stay the hell out of that window.

As for the not sleeping… not really sure why that’s happening, but I’m not too worried. My work schedule is so back and forth, I don’t think I’ve ever formed a normal sleeping pattern. So, there. There are perfectly logical explanations for what I thought I saw.

It’s all totally fine. I’m not crazy, and in a few days, I’m going to forget about all of this.

“That looks incredibly healthy.” Colin smirks as he slides into the seat across from me. I glance down at my skittles and mountain dew, then shrug.

“I’m kind of hoping the sugar and caffeine will keep me alive long enough to finish my shift.”

“Umm… yeah… I’d say you’re good.” He chuckles and shakes his head. “Anyway… I’m closing tonight and was gonna see if you needed any help?”

“Oh… uhh… nah. I’ll be fine.”

“You sure? Honestly Ri… I don’t mind. I know that main window takes forever. It’s not a problem, really.”

“I appreciate it, but I’m good.” I shoot him what I hope is a convincing smile and down the rest of my drink.

The last damn thing I need is my best friend thinking a mannequin is talking to him too. I think one lunatic in the store is more than enough.

Not that I think a mannequin is talking to me or anything. I mean… maybe it’s the window causing the hallucination, and I don’t want him thinking the same thing I did.

Call it a cautionary measure.

“Alright, well… you change your mind, let me know.”

“Will do.”

Yeah, that’s not happening.

**********************

 

I step into the window slowly and breathe a sigh of relief. Everything is just as I left it three nights ago. Even the male mannequin is in the same exact position, same clothes. I’m taking all of this as a good sign.

See… I knew it. I knew I was just seeing things. It was completely insane to think, even for a second, that any of that was actually happening.

I begin taking apart the lifeguard stand, then sweep up the sand, throw the towels in their boxes. Soon enough, the only thing left is the mannequin. I take a deep breath and pull the t-shirt over his head, then reach for the board shirts.

“Isn’t it customary to at least buy somebody dinner before you strip them?”

“Jesus fucking Christ!”

No.

No… no…no… fucking no!

This is not happening to me. My imagination is running away with me. Hell… I’d even be ok with losing my mind, as long as it means that this isn’t real.

“It’s alright. The people from the psych ward will probably be here soon, and once they’ve got you doped up on happy pills, there’s a possibility I’ll disappear, but I seriously doubt it.”

Shit… I said all that out loud, didn’t I?

“Honestly… I don’t know what you want, or why you’re doing this… but please… just… stop.”

“What would be the fun in that?” He smirks and folds his arms over his chest. “I stand in here all day, nobody to talk to, and when you show up… I’m supposed to just stay still?”

“Umm… yes. That would be great.”

“Well, sorry to burst your bubble… but that’s not going to work for me. So, can I have my shirt back now? It’s a little cold in here.”

“I’m… there’s… no.” I shake my head furiously and plop down in the middle of the floor and begin rocking back and forth. “I’m having some sort of psychotic break. You aren’t real… I don’t even know if I’m real. And Colin might not be real…and… and… the store isn’t real. Or maybe I’ve fallen into some kind of alternate universe, and I’m-”

“Hold up… you’re ok with the idea of an alternate universe, but a mannequin talking to you freaks you out?”

“An alternate universe makes more sense than this!”

“Eh… that’s debatable. Anyway… I’m Justin.” He extends his hand and I shake it impulsively.

I’m shaking hands with a mannequin. This has just reached a whole new level of insanity.

“Riley.”

“Yeah, I know. So… what’s our super awesome window theme tonight?”

“How… how do you know my name?”

“I know a lot of stuff about you.” He shrugs.

“Are you… did… were you stalking me?”

“What? No.” He laughs and rolls his eyes. “My guide told me.”

“I’m insane.” I nod to myself. “Completely and totally batshit insane. That’s the only explanation.”

Justin lets out a long sigh and frowns. “Alright, you’re not insane, at least not that I’m aware of. Whether you believe it or not, I am real, and yes… you are able to see and talk to me. I can’t tell you why I’m here because frankly, I don’t have a fucking clue myself. All I know is, my guide has been sending me to different stores all across the country, and she tells me a little bit about the people I’m going to meet. So yeah, I know your name. I know where you live. I know that your parents got divorced when you were four. I know that you drive quite possibly the worlds shittiest car, and-”

“Stop! Just… stop. I’m… I… I need to leave.” I grab my bag and stomp out of the window, slamming the door behind me.

I have to find the nearest insane asylum. Or Colin’s apartment… whichever is closer.

 

 


Incomplete
katethegreat is the author of 28 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked Trapped In A Box also liked 409 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story