“I’m nervous,” Katie whispered.

“Nervous about what?” Anna asked, hopping on her twin sized bed in the guest room of Katie’s parents house.  Anna had been invited to make the snowy trek to Katie’s parents house during their extended college winter break on the promise of the most amazing Christmas she’s ever had.  She was certainly excited about the prospect.

“You know, ‘cause tonight is my parents holiday party, and well...<i>Justin’s</i> going to be here.”    

Anna watched Katie nervously button several buttons on the most hideous holiday sweater that she had ever seen.   Granted, tonight <i>was</i> their infamous “ugly sweater party,” so it wasn’t that out of place.  It was just hideous, that’s all.

“And you’re wearing that?” Anna retorted.  She didn’t know who Justin was, but he sounded important.  While Anna and Katie were close, considering they were suitemates, they hadn’t quite had time to really learn all of the absolute details about one another.  Regardless, this Justin character sounded much too important to allow Katie to wear a sweater that looked like it belonged buried in the 70s.

Katie spun around quickly, abandoning her reflection in the full length mirror with fervor as she sighed dramatically.  “I know!  I hate this stupid party...”

Anna couldn’t help but laugh a little at her desperation.  “Wow, this <i>Justin</i> must be really something.  I swear, two weeks before we left the dorms, you were all gungho about how awesome this ugly sweater party was.  How everyone in town came over, how everyone talked about it the entire year...” she smirked, pretending to drone on and on by repeating all of Katie’s boasts.

Katie swiftly interrupted.  “That’s before I knew he was coming to town.”  Anna just rolled her eyes.  

“Alright, I’ll bite.  Who is he?  I mean, you dragged me all the way to your hometown for Christmas, I might as well get the download if I’m going to give you advice...”  Anna replied, flipping her long brown hair over her shoulder.  She was wearing a sweater, which to her was, in fact, ugly--but it wasn’t <i>that</i> ugly.

Katie sighed dejectedly before finally plopping down on the bed next to her.  “I didn’t drag you.  Your parents were out of town, and it wouldn’t be right if you spent Christmas alone.  Besides, you wanted to come, remember?”

Anna laughed again.  “Fine, fine.  I wanted to be here.  Who cares.  So, who’s the boy?”  Anna clapped her hands with excitement as she waited to see what Katie had to say.

Slightly twisting her fingers around in nervousness, Katie groaned a little as she avoided Anna’s eye contact.  “He’s only like...my crush.  Like...<i>the guy</i>.  You know, that one you always pined after in high school but never gave you the time of day?”

“You mean like JC for me?”  She watched Katie nod.  JC was her college crush.  He was best friends with Katie’s actual roommate, but at this stage, it was just a wishful romance.  “Well, what are you going to do about it? And you’re sure he’s coming tonight?  I mean, how do you know for sure?”

“I heard it from a friend of a friend...” Katie uttered, a little unsure now that she had to actually verbalize it to someone.

“That sounds reliable,” Anna mumbled, her eyes following suit in a completely sarcastic manner.

The petite form shrugged.  “I know, but even the thought of him coming just...it’s overwhelming.  I mean, this is the first time he’s been in town since...well, we graduated, really.  Now I’m regretting this sweater that we bought at Goodwill before we left.”  Katie tugged at the hem and stared regretfully down at the stuffed reindeer protruding from her chest area.

They both looked at each other and laughed slightly.

“Well, you were the one that wanted to find <i>the ugliest sweater</i> known to man.  This was a great accomplishment yesterday...today?  Not so much.  C’mon, we’d better get you looking as hot as possible in this if this is going to go at all the way you want it to...” Anna trailed, grasping at Rudolph’s nose with a chuckle.  “We’ve got a lot of work to do.”

“Hey!  It seemed like a good idea at the time!”

“Reindeer protruding from your boobs is never a good idea, Katie.  Have I taught you nothing?” Anna laughed.  The girls, despite the worry hanging overhead, continued to laugh as they finished preparing for their evening.




You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story