After I finished cooking dinner, we all sat at the table and begin to eat. "I'm really sorry no one called to tell you about Aunt Lucy." Chris broke the silence between us. "Truthfully, I thought you knew."

"It doesn't matter now. It's over and done with. All we can do is let her rest in peace."

"Amen." Justin spoke up with a smirk on his face. I hope he wasn't trying to be funny, because if he was--he sure as hell failed.

"Any way..." I took a sip of my cherry flavored juice as began another sentence. "What do you do in Memphis? Besides...singing. Do you have a paying job? Or something that keeps you with money in your pockets."

"Yeah. I work at the parlor...cutting hair." he gazed at Justin who glanced at him off and on with this interesting look on his face. "I get big tips too. Sometimes fifty bucks. Or maybe even more."

"Wow. That's good. I didn't know you could cut hair." the silence around us began to make me a little nervous, so I decided to turn up the baby monitor to hear the baby more clearer. I could hear him making cooing sounds off and on.

"Where's the baby's father?" Justin asked curiously. "Is he still around?" the nerve of him to ask me a question like that right after he disrespected me. In my own house.

"Don't you think you're getting a little too personal? I don't even know you." he shrugged his shoulders, slowly sliding his half eaten plate aside.

"I was just asking. Damn." he arose from his seat. "You don't have to catch an attitude about it." I watched as he left the table without excusing himself. What an ill-mannered person.

"What is up with your friend? Why is he so concerned and curious about my life all of a sudden?" he shrugged his shoulders.

"I dunno. Truthfully, I think he likes you." now that had to be the funniest thing I've ever heard.

"Yeah right. The boy hates me, and you know what? I'm starting to hate him too." I stood up, collecting the empty plates on the table. "I'm gonna go wash up. I'll see you later." I pre-washed the dishes, sitting them in the dish washer afterwards. I then proceeded up the stairs to my room where I was gonna reside for the night.

That night, I got a call from Kyles father. He wanted to come see me and the baby. So, I finally decided to put my bitterness away and let him come see us. I invited him to my room where we hung out for a few hours talking and paying special attention to Kyle.

"...so he was gonna be here for a while. Probably two weeks." he held the baby close to his chest, never taking his eyes off him. "He looks just like you."

"Yeah." he agreed with a smile on his face. "Um..." he lifted his head to gaze at me. "I know I haven't been around, but you're not seriously thinking about taking him away from me, right? I mean, I am entitled to come see him ever so often."

"I'm not gonna stop you from seeing him. I just wish you were more responsible and...committed. You abandoned us. For nine months. And you weren't around when I gave birth. I was expecting to see you. Kyle doesn't even know you. And I know he's only two months, but...babies are never too young to understand. He knows who is who."

"I know. And I'm sorry. I just...I'm a busy man."

"I've heard this shit before." he always had some type of excuse. "You're never too busy to come see your family. You couldn't even pause your..."busy schedule" to watch me give birth. You were so busy all right." she spoke sarcastically. "Doing what? Fucking some other bitch? Is that what you were busy doing?"

"Look, now you're getting ridiculous. I was not fucking some other woman, okay? I was out on a business trip. It was impossible for me to make it there in time. Do you even remember where I was? I was all the way in China helping..."

"I don't wanna hear this. Just...maybe it's time for you to go." I pulled the bedroom door open and stood aside, clearing his path. "Goodnight, Seth."

"All right um..." he carefully laid the baby in the crib, leisurely approaching me. I watched closely as he shut the door, bolting it. "Maybe we can work this out."

"It's too late for all that." I spoke, crossing my arms over my chest. "You can leave now."

"Brown eyes? Pretty...brown eyes?" I just hated when he would call me that. This was his way of sweet talking me into forgiving him. And most of the time, it worked.

"Don't call me that. I told you about..." he pulled out a diamond bracelet. This here, immediately got my attention.

"Four carrets. Diamond filled bracelet. It cost a fortune so please don't ask me to take it back."

"Seth?" it was like I was completely drawn to it because I had never seen so much diamonds in my entire life. "You don't just buy me things like this. Wh...what's gotten into you?"

"You deserve it. For all the shit I put you through." now this had to be the nicest thing anybody has ever done for me...so far. "Here, I'm just gonna sit it here." he sat the bracelet on the dresser. "Whenever you feel like wearing it, it's here. You don't owe me anything, okay? Just take care of our baby." he placed a soft kiss on my cheek. "I'll send you some money next week. Just to help out a little." now this was not like him to be this generous. "I'll see you around." he yanked the door open.

"Wait." I grasped his arm, stopping him in his tracks. "Why are you doing this? I mean, wh..."

"I'll call you." with that, he departed the room, shutting the door behind him. I stood there, slowly gazing in on the expensive bracelet that he bought for me. His Architect job must've paid off.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story