Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks to jersey_tenn of course... YOU ROCK! 

Enjoy ;)

 

 

The sound of a car coming to a stop time and time again had become annoying. The sun was shining, and the temperature was rising, but otherwise the day had not started off so well. The traffic on the 405 was worse than ever. And if Adilyn could curse the person that determined a construction schedule she would wait in that god-awful traffic and drive straight to his front door. It never made sense to her why on Earth they would decide to shutdown lanes of this particular freeway down during rush hour, or for any hour for that matter.

It had already been a morning and for multiple reasons Adi was testy. The last thing she wanted to be doing was sitting in a car at a dead stop watching the people in the vehicles eating breakfast, finishing their makeup, or like this guy on the other side of her who couldn't resist sticking his finger in his nose, digging for gold. She had work that needed to be done and she was stuck.

Justin had been away from her in New York for days. But when she woke to a text message that said he was finally coming back to California, she couldn't wait to see him. Seeing the words, I miss you, on the screen of her phone warmed her heart. This man really did care about her. Even through her own insecurities, she could see and feel how much she wanted him in her life. Spending days away from him made her see how much she actually cared about him.

And to top things off this morning, Jaxon had been in a terrible mood. He whined and cried from the moment he woke up. The entire ride to drop him off at Ella's, he cried. He just wanted to stay with her. He had no real reason for being upset and that bugged her. She had to venture to work and leave her son that didn't want to be anywhere other than with her.

Adi looked down at her phone, it was ringing again. Trey had been blowing up her phone all morning. Even though she was on the freeway, not moving, she still resisted picking up the phone. She was trying to get to him as fast as she could. Whatever he had to bitch at her about was going to wait until she got there. And finally, after the longest hour and ten minutes of her life, she could see her exit. Granted it was going to take her twenty more minutes to get there, but she could see it. It was a start.

 

Annoyed, frustrated, and a still a little testy, Adilyn finally pulled into her normal parking spot. She slung her bags over her shoulder and rushed into the studio. But as she entered studio 4C, she stopped hearing something she had heard before. Something she thought no one would ever hear again.

 

"Can't ever get it right, no matter how hard I try. And I've tried..."

 

A voice similar to her tone and a beat she knew she had heard before reined through the sound system. She swallowed hard. "How did they find this?" She mumbled even more annoyed. Countless times Trey would find a demo she had started and would be determined to have her finish it. This wasn't one of those songs. This was a song she never wanted to finish producing.

Trey tweaked the buttons, changing the drum beat of the finished track, as he glared up to the glass to see her reflection standing behind him. "Why do you look so ticked off?"

"So many things this morning..." She pointed in the air, at the sound. "This song? Really?"

"I'm sorry Adi." He turned down the sound. "You know we still work for her. I didn't know you would­­­-"

Confused, Adi interrupted him, "Work for who?"

Trey confused as well, looks at her as if she has lost her mind. "... Sarah Connor. You should know her voice better than anyone." He chuckled, "You did sing with her for a very long time."

"That's my track." She blurted. "That's not Sarah, that's me."

"The label sent it over to me a couple days ago, wanting me to remix it for her first single."

First single? I never gave this demo to her. Adilyn thought to herself as she turned the sound up, replaying the track.

 

"As you break my heart again this time..."

 

Adi stopped the playback, but continued the lyrics. "Tell me a screwed mess. That I never listen, listen. Tell me you don't want my kiss. That you need distance, distance. Tell me anything but don't you say she's what you're missing, baby. If she's the reason that you're leaving me here tonight, spare me what you're thinking, tell me a lie..."

 

"How do you know those lyrics?" Trey asked."This is her top secret first single..."

She looked over at Trey, placing her hand over her heart. "I wrote those lyrics."

"How?" Trey mumbled.

"Remember that guy I dated that told me I was a screwed up mess? The same guy that had two dates the same night?" Trey nodded his head remembering that douchebag. "I wrote that song after that date."

"I didn't mean it that way... How did Sarah end up with it?"

"I don't know. I am the only person that had a copy of that demo."

"If someone brought it to her, she should have asked for permission."

 

Adi shook her head. There was something about the voice on that track that didn't seem right. She shook it off as thinking it was her conscious hoping no one would ever hear those words. She never wanted to be seen as that girl. As she turned around looking at the empty studio she asked Trey, "Where is everyone?"

"I asked them all to not come in this morning."

"So I just spent an eternity on the 405 for nothing?"

Trey walked around the studio, double checking to make sure they were alone. He flipped the lock on the studio door.

"You're scaring me."

"Sit." Trey demanded, pointing in the direction of the eating table.

Adi sat down slowly on the couch, dropping her bags to the floor.

"No, the table." He pointed again.

Completely nervous now, she sat down at the table.

When Trey began to speak, it did it in a quick tone. He knew the words he was about to tell her were going to be difficult, and they needed to be get out as quick as possible. "I was doing a little research on your mystery man last night when Ella looked at the computer screen from over my shoulder; she asked what I was doing..."

"Okay" She nodded her head, not understanding where he was going with this. "I'm going to need you to elaborate a little more because I don't understand where this is going."

 "She made a joke about the name I was looking up and laughed as she walked out of the room."

"What was the joke?"

"I'm getting there." He chuckled at her impatient hands fiddling with the hem of her shirt. "I did a little research." He sat up straighter in his chair, pulling a photo out of his folder, holding it in his view. "I found him Adi."

"You found who?" She questioned with both shock and worry across her face. Her throat instantly turned dry, her palms began to sweat. "You found Jason Sharp?"

 

 "Isn't it funny that Adilyn is dating the guy who played a character in a movie with the name of Jaxon's father?"

 

He replayed the scene in his head again. Hearing that name gave him chills. He knew this was crazy, he knew this was a long shot, but he was sure. He was sure he had found the guy Adilyn had been looking for, for nearly two years. The only bad thing, it was a person Trey didn't want it to be.

            He turned the photo around, placing it on the table in front of her. She immediately crinkled her forehead with discouragement, "That's an old photo of..." She stated. "I don't..."

He nodded his head, perching his lips closed, swallowing a lump of pain down his throat, pointing at the bottom of the headshot, interrupting her, "Read that." He pulled his arm back slowly.

            Her eyes traveled to the bottom of the photo, reading the words in black and white in front of her.

 

Model Behavior

Justin Timberlake as Jason Sharp

 

Her hands started to tremble. The name. A movie. A character.

Lies.

 

 

A dark haired man stumbled across the room, spilling resemblance of his beverage in his path.

"Hi, I'm Juan. My buddy over th-there..." he stutters, "He... you should go talk to him..."

She squinted her eyes, trying to see clearly across the long room, "Which one?"

He extended his arm in the air, pointing in the direction of the man in the back corner. "Him.... plaid."

"What's his name?"

"Uh... Uh... J." he fumbled with his words.

"J? Are you sure?" She questioned thinking she knew she had a lot to drink, but he should know his friends name.

"Yes." He said quickly, "J-Jason Sharp."

Adilyn maneuvered through the room, managing to not spill a drop of her drink, keeping it close enough to continuing sipping the alcohol, raising the level of intoxication to a new level.

Walking straight up to him, she leans into him, lightly pushing his against the wall, whispering in the sexiest tone she ever delivered in her life, "Hey." His body quivered underneath hers as his hands went to the small of her back, pulling her into him, lowering down to her height, his lips met hers.

 

 

"Justin?" She questioned. "Could it really be my Justin?" She wrapped her hands over her face, there were so many questions. There was so much blurriness of what this meant.

Even though Justin had claimed he wanted to stay with her even with Jaxon, she feared deep down this was not something that he really wanted and the moment he found out, everything would be over. Him walking away from her was the last worry on her mind. She wanted Jaxon to have his father. She wanted her son to have the love of both parents. If he walked away from Jaxon, her world would collapse.

"I need to go."

"Do you want me to drive you? Are you okay?" Trey begged.

"I need to find Justin. I need..." Her voice broke as she thought of the words she was about to say. When they settled into her thoughts, tears started to stream down her face. "Do you think he has known all this time?"

He shook his head. "I think he remembers as much about that night as you do." He paused, trying to collect the words he wanted to say, "Justin is a great guy. He has treated you and Jaxon very well." He paused again, looking up at her face, "I don't think he would run from something like this."

"Which explains why he didn't just leave us when he found out I had a child..." She paused, looking up at him with an empty stare. "We have a child." Her stomach dropped, she felt the bottom of the pit.

"Go talk to him. I have a feeling he is going to be just as surprised as you were."

She picked her bags up off the floor, turning back to Trey. "How ironic... the name of that song you are working on, it's called Tell Me a Lie." She lowered her head.

 

 

Back in her car she wrapped her hands around the leather of the steering wheel, gripping it tighter and tighter. "How could he be his father? How could this cruel world do this to me?"

 

Unlike her drive to the studio, not a single moment of traffic held her back. Mile by mile she drove with ease into his house where he buzzed her into long driveway, having his front door unlocked and ready for her.

 

"Hey babe!" He rushed across the room, bypassing his luggage that sat in the doorway. He must've dropped them off there only minutes before. "I thought I was meeting you at your place later?" He questioned pulling her into his arms. He could feel how tense her body was around and he knew there was something wrong. He leaned back, looking deep into her hazel, worry-filled eyes, "You okay babe?"

"J... I..." She attempted to speak.

He took her hand into his, caressing ever-so-gently the curve of her hand. "What's wrong?"

"Jaxon." She finally expressed, fighting back the tears.

His eyes became the size of saucers and panic surged across his face. "What happened to Jaxon?"

"Justin... Jaxon..." Her mind was stuck in her thoughts.

 

Justin. Jaxon. Father. That night...

 

Her daze seemed to come in clear when she remembered more of that night.

 

"Trace." She mumbled under her breathe, only causing Justin to panic even more.

"Adilyn, I am going to need you to use more than one word. You are scaring the hell out of me."

She covered her face before finally blurting, "You're Jaxon's father."

 

Silence.

 

The clock on the wall ticked for what seemed like hours before he finally spoke.

"How long have you been keeping this from me?" Justin fired words at her. "I thought you said his father was dead? That's why he isn't in his life..."

"I never said he died." She attempted to explain.

"How long have you been lying to me Adi? How long have you been using me?" He barked at her, word after word he continued shaking his head, pacing around the room. "I just... I'm not... I won't..." He turned to look at her, but in the midst of his tirade that had torn her to pieces, she had walked out his front door. She hadn't stuck around to listen to his hurtful words.

Words that started the day with I miss you, ended much differently.

Chapter End Notes:
Song Credit: “Tell Me a Lie” – Kelly Clarkson--I thought writing at a time when my heart is shattered into pieces was going to be bad for this story, but I seemed to have tapped into the fictional world and avoiding reality. Good and bad.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story