Author's Chapter Notes:

Wow. I am stoked at how many people read this one chapter and enjoyed it! Thanks for the reviews!

Here is the next section, Enjoy!

 

Two days and ten hours later.

 

The ink of the pen slid across the paper with ease. The blank lines, filled with a child's most important information. Filling in the empty spaces of this precious little baby's life was more difficult than she ever imagined it would be.  Jaxon Trey Michaels. Simple details of a life that has just begun, yet his presence changes everything about the person that brought him into this world. Born on the coldest day ever recorded in Los Angeles, January 31, 2011, all 6lbs 8oz of him wouldn't know the difference. He hasn't made choices that need correcting. He hasn't suffered a broken heart. He hasn't felt the pain of being let down.

Adilyn wasn't sure if she could give this child all the things that he deserved in life. She wasn't sure she could be his father and his mother. She wasn't sure she could be the mother that he deserved.

Printing her name on the mother's name line was easy, Adilyn Belle Michaels, signing it was just as easy. Her hand came to a standstill, starring at the question as if her life depended on it. "Father's Name:" It was a simple question. It had a simple answer. The blank line gapped a whole through her heart.

 

"He is absolutely perfect." Trey gushed, breaking the deafening silence in the room, pulling at the tiny fingers of the bright eyed baby staring back at him. "He is so alert. Should he be this alert already?" He questioned turning back to look at Adilyn wiping away the tears that began to stream an even flow down her face.

That wasn't a question she knew the answer to. She didn't know anything about babies. She had been the only child until she was sixteen, until one night when her world turned upside down. In one night, one moment, her parents were separating and her father was marring someone she had never met before. A couple months, a wedding, and lots of baby items later, he gave Adilyn the only sibling she would ever have. Just after her baby sister was born, his new wife insisted they relocate closer to her family in Dallas. Being the person her father turned into after he married her, he picked up his firm and move to Texas without thinking about how she would feel or how it would affect her life.

 

                She scribbled the name that belonged on that line, brushing the tears away as she handed the form to the nurse who was awaiting the formal signature on the birth certificate.

Trey was supportive, and he respected her wishes to not talk about the situation. But they both knew that the inevitable day would come and the questions would have to be answered.

 

In the darkness of the arena, she was at peace. Her hand was wrapped around a piece of her life that she always had. Her hand wrapped around her comfort zone. The chill of the steel as she gripped it for the first time of the night was enough adrenaline for her. She knew that feeling was going to lead to the feeling she needed when she stepped on this stage.

The roar of a crowd, so loud it was piercing even through the inner ear monitors. Night after night, the crowds seemed to get larger and more fan orientated than just another show they would attend. Her first note was big, probably the most defining note of the entire show. Once the wail reined through the venue and back at her, a smile plants on her face and wouldn't leave until the ‘star' of the show appeared, leaving the spotlight no longer on her.

It wasn't about the attention, it was about the power she knew she had to project her voice like no other and it was foreshadowed by the person who had gained the spotlight. She wanted badly to have the dream with the reality but it was too unlikely and was happy just stepping on that stage night after night, show after show, city after city.

She wasn't like most backup singers. Most fans knew her by her first name. She was asked for photos and autographs but never hounded by the paparazzi, never forced to record an album because they needed a new release and they would throw something together, good or bad. Luck was with that label, because single after single, the singer was being praised for the talent on the tracks.

Each live show brought more notoriety to the singer, each tour brought new fans to her.

 

 

Ten tiny little toes. Two little feet. Ten tiny little fingers. Two little hands. A healthy, beautiful, perfect baby. It's all a mother worries about when the child is born. Everyone hopes to have a healthy baby to wrap into their arms. But as the baby rested in her arms, Adilyn felt guilty because the only thing she could think about nonstop was his father. She couldn't help but think that her choices and her behavior were going to keep her son from ever knowing that part of his life. It was her fault, she was aware of that, but it didn't make the situation any easier.

 

"Have you decided what you're going to do?" Trey stood across the room leaning against the windowsill, arms crossed, and worry stretched all over his face.

                The gorgeous ocean blue eyes stared up at her once again, melting her heart. She shook her head ‘no'; knowing this couldn't be put off any longer didn't make the decision any easier.

 

                The day she decided to go through with the pregnancy was the last day that she spoke to her mother and her father.  Even though they had been distant from her life for as long as she could remember, they seemed to think they had input on a situation that didn't involve them. They didn't approve, not to Adilyn's surprise, but her decision couldn't be based off of what they thought she should do. This was something she was going to have to deal with everyday for the rest of her life. It had to be the right one for her.

 

                Here it was, days after the precious baby was brought into this world and she still couldn't make the decision. She knew what she should do, she knew what she thought was best for him, but the answer she kept coming back to was the opposite of what she thought she was going to do for the last nine months.

 

 

"After deep consideration, we have chosen to release you from your contract..."-

 

Sitting in the airport bay, she recollects the words she had been given in the form of a letter just hours before.

"This had to be the bottom of the barrel." She continued to mumble. "This had to be what someone's world around them crashing down feels like."

This was the last piece of her life she had intact. This was everything she was. Now, that piece crumbled into a million pieces. Her job was gone, her life changed, and her world shifting in a new, different direction with every moment that passed...

 

 

"I can't do it Trey." She finally admitted, swallowing the words for the first time. She knew she would never be able to go through with this.

Relief and a smile exuberated on his face, his eyes widened and lit up like the fourth of July as he rushed back across the room, "Really?"

She knew for weeks this wasn't going to have the same outcome she thought it was going to. She knew the moment she climbed into her car and drove twelve miles to the hospital. She knew when Julie was standing next to her, hold her hand, telling her she could do this... that it had nothing to do with the actual delivery of the baby.

 

"I'm going to need you... I'm going to need you to tell me over and over again that I can do this."

Trey brushed the falling pieces of hair out of her face he placed a gentle kiss on her forehead. "You won't need me." He gushed, "But as your best friend, and brother from another mother... I'm not going anywhere."

"Thank you" She muttered to him, embracing his hug. "I knew this wasn't something I could do." She shoved the papers away from her, leaving the dotted line on the adoption papers empty. "I guess I have a new dream to conquer."

"We'll conquer it together..."

Chapter End Notes:
Don't forget to tell me what you think! I wanna hear!!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story