Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks to jersey_tenn of course!! Love her!

Enjoy ;)
 

 

A beautiful evening, turned into a magical night.

           

With the bill of his hat down over most of his face, Justin was comfortable walking without the constant worry of who might see him. His only real worry was that the attention would scare Adilyn away before she got to know him as a person and not this image there was of him. It was always his fear that he would fall for someone that would only be scared off by the world he lived in, which is why he always seemed to date someone that was in the industry and understood what he was going through. But with Adilyn, he knew nothing about her before this dinner. To his surprise, she was aware of the industry and she wasn't running away from him.

Hand-in-hand they walked along the Santa Monica Pier, enjoying the warm breeze coming off the ocean. It was that perfect spring weather, just warm enough for short sleeves and just cool enough to cuddle up next to someone.

 

 

Her stomach did summersaults thinking about him. She couldn't sleep with the excitement still reining from the moments they shared together. They were better than any dream she could have dreamt. Every fiber of her body wanted him to be lying next to her right now, staring at the ceiling, recollecting the events of their night together. Instead she was here alone, thinking about the things she shouldn't be thinking about.

 

His fingers, intertwined into hers.

His hands, wrapped around the curve of her chin.

His nails, scraping softly against her skin.

 

 

Jaxon bounced across the bed, "No ork mama." He shook his head no, crinkling his forehead, snuggling himself into the curve of her elbow, resting his head on her chest.

This boy knows how to make a girl melt. She thought.

"Is Ella here?" She asked, thinking that would be the only way he was able to be out of his crib.

"No ork, pwease." He puckered up his bottom lip, causing a chain reaction.

It broke her heart to hear her nearly two year old son ask that heartfelt question. She pulled him into her, caressing the side of his face, "Ella is gonna play with you all day! And when I get home, we will play together... I promise." She was lucky not to have to work too much. All the writing and producing she did for other artists kept her income flowing in. The royalties from the songs she'd worked on with Sarah continued to pay her bills with ease.

Ella stood in the doorway, smiling at her as she lounged on the bed. "So Trey tells me the mama in this room had a dinner date last night... how did that go?"

"Great actually. It was nice to have an adult only dinner." She said attempting not to gush uncontrollably.

"Trey strolled in a little after midnight; does that mean the date continued after dinner?" She asked suspiciously.

She sat up on the bed, pulling the blanks over her legs. "I didn't go back to his place, if that's what you are asking."

She stepped closer to the bed, sitting slowly on the corner. "That's not what I meant. Is this someone you could see yourself seeing again?"

"I don't know..." She tried to place a subtle look on her face, but inside she was screaming with joy. "Maybe, it's just..."

"He is Justin Timberlake..." Ella interrupted her.

"Well... yes." Before Ella could respond Adilyn laughed, "And I don't wanna hear that line from Notting Hill from you either."

They both laughed, they had seen that movie entirely too many times.

Jaxon began jumping on the bed until he got the glare from his mother. He knew better, but he was testing that level of sympathy he thought he created by melting her heart. He quickly sat down on the bed.

Ella stood and turned back to Adilyn. "Well, I'm here to watch this little guy anytime you need me! Adi..." Without hesitating she continued not waiting for her to respond. "He is just a guy. He just happens to be very well known..."

"I know." She expressed, a shade of blush covering all of her face. His glorious smile flashed from memory across her thoughts.

 

She watched his hand as it intertwined into hers, locking them tightly, helping her step onto the ferris wheel at the Santa Monica Pier.

"You got it?" He asked watching as her feet planted safely on the steel of the car.

"I'm good." She replied as he stepped in, sliding himself next to her. Adilyn's body quivered from the butterflies she had boiling in her stomach.

"Are you cold?" He asked as he started to remove his light jacket to give to her.

"No, I'm not cold." She smiled at him, looking into his blue eyes. Her body instinctively scooted closer to his as the lift started to move them into the air. Without hesitating, he pulled her as close as he could, wrapping his arm around her. She rested her head on his shoulder. "I'm perfect."

The city lights glimmered off the water, creating a view neither had enjoyed before. In all the years they had both lived in Los Angeles, they had never shared this moment or this view with anyone.

 

 

Trey saw his best friend sitting at the sound board, off in a daze. "Adilyn"

"Adilyn..." He says again, "Where is that head of yours today?" He asked looking at her in a way he had never before.

She was smitten and he knew it.

"Sorry." She blushed.

 

            Work became a sanctuary that Adilyn found herself hiding a lot over the last year. Recording demos of songs that she wrote for artists became her new thing to do. It was a place she was able to take Jaxon and the others would entertain him while she recorded in the booth but now he was up and moving around, interested in everything and everyone around him. Ella had been gracious enough to watch him while she was in the studio, giving her a choice not to put him in daycare.

 

Singing into a booth microphone wasn't the same feeling she'd hoped to feel again but it was as close as she was going to get to singing for someone again. Sitting down at the piano in the open space with a microphone was a better feeling, and she felt it the moment she sat down. With each key she would press, the more she knew she wanted more than anything to have that feeling back. She wanted pieces of her life that she missed so dearly back.

 

With the guys not ready to actually lay the tracks that needed done, she began to play a soft melody she kept hearing in her head. With the keys playing, she began to hum words out of nowhere. Finally the words began to flow out freely and powerful.

 

"All those words... came undone. And now I'm not the only one. Facing the ghost that decide if the fire inside still burns..."

 

Her head swayed back and forth as the melody she was creating became as heart-wrenching as the words spilling from her lips. Her converse sneakers rolled back and forth on the pedal. "Open up next to you and my secrets become your truth. And the distance between that was sheltering me comes in full view..." Her words came out without thinking about it. Never had she ever had words form a song without even thinking about it. "Hang my head, break my heart. Built from all I have torn apart. And my burden to bear is a love I can't carry anymore..."

 

"Did I depress her?" Justin asked Rob and Trey, watching her hands move over the keys, expressing words of pain and heartache. Her words continued as they listened intently.

 

"All I have, all I need, he's the air I would kill to breathe..." Her voice rose, carrying the notes as high as she could, feeling the passion of emotion she was feeling. "Holds my love in his hands, still I'm searching for something... Out of breath, I am left hoping someday I'll breathe again."

 

 

"That would be Adi opening up... in her way." Trey answered his question. "Listen to her words. She is telling you her entire story in those words..."

 

She hung her head low, looking at her feet; she knew in that precise moment, the impact of her own words was changing her. Knowing there was only one thing left to say, she pulled her head back to be leveled with the microphone, and in an almost whisper she finished her words.

Her head tilted back, words smoothly flowing out, "Holds my love in his hands, still I'm searching for something..." Her hands stopped moving, her foot stopped rolling on the pedal. Coming to a close, she delivered her final line. "Out of breath, I am left hoping someday I'll breathe again..."

Adilyn looked down at the keys that her fingers still rested upon. She felt a part the weight she carried being lifted off her shoulders. Where these words came from, she wasn't sure but she knew she had to write them down.

She turned slowly to look for the guys, wanting to get started on the track they were here to finish. As she turned, she saw Trey and Rob frozen in their seats, staring at her.

 

"Are we ready?" She asked but they continued to just look at her.

 

She was scared for a moment because in all the time she had known both of them, they had never been this quiet, this silent. As she entered the room where they were, they still remained silent. Rounding the corner, she could see Justin standing between the two chairs. He looked at her, refreshing eyes staring back at him. She was the tidal wave he had been searching for so long. She was his breath of fresh air.

"Hey" She said smiling at him.

He tilted his head slightly, "Hey."

 

 

Staring into his eyes, she melted into him.

Unlacing their fingers, his hands wrapped around the curve of her chin, bracing his thumbs on the highpoint of her cheekbone, his nails scraped softly against her skin. Their eyes never unlocked, their concentration on each other and the city skyline view from the top of the ferris wheel on that Santa Monica Pier disappeared. She saw the waves of his oceanic eyes, whereas he only saw the layers of hazel overlapping each other, creating the most gorgeous set of orbs he had ever seen.

Finally they allowed themselves to lean forward, touching their lips for the first time.

A fire in the pit of their stomachs set loose, twirling their emotions round and round.

She leaned back, pulling her lips away from his.

She needed to make sure this was real. She needed to make sure he was real. Instantaneously her lips were back on his, but this time she granted him access to the deeper the depths of the kiss. His tongue slid over hers like they had kissed a million times before. There was no awkwardness; there was no hesitation, just passion.

 

"Hey." He said again looking at her, the rest of the world vanished.

"How long have you been here?" She asked wondering if he heard her words.

"That song..." He said breathlessly. "Your words..."

Her face flushed from embarrassment. For the first time she was personally affected by her own words. She had never written a song this personal or this emotionally driven with others in the room. Writing songs was private for her, so private in fact that most of the personal songs never saw the light of day. This would have ended up one of them.

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

 

Song Credit : Sara Bareilles "Breathe Again"

That song... that song just is incredible and it fit so well! Find a live version and grab a tissue.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story