THREE: I Belong To You and You Belong To Me Too

Everleigh pulls her Audi into the garage and kills the ignition a few seconds later, grabbing her bags and purse from the passenger’s seat. She makes her way into her small but modest country home and drops her purse and keys in their usual spot on the counter. Her canine companion runs up to greet her, jumping up and resting her paws on her thighs, causing Everleigh to bend down to greet the stalky bulldog Daisy. After a few minutes of love and a slobbery kiss or two, Everleigh passes through the kitchen, eying a hand written note placed in the center of the kitchen table.

'Went out with Devin and Kev, text you later. XOXO'

A side smile plays on her face as she reads over the short note. Approving of his present company, she pushes her worry away and heads toward his bedroom, opening the door and making her way inside of his immaculate room. He was always a stickler for keeping his space neat. She lays his new shoes on his bed and grabs the empty glass and plate full of crumbs from his night stand before exiting his room, Daisy right on her heels.

Making her way back to the kitchen, she makes a pit stop by the back door to let Daisy out into the backward. She flips on the radio that sits in a small nook in the back of the kitchen and hums along as Lenny Kravitz fills the otherwise silent house. She fills the sink with warm water and soap and begins loosing herself in the pile of dishes that he had so lovingly neglected the night before.

You are the flame in my heart
You light my way in the dark
You are the ultimate star


She stops slightly, her eyes drifting from her soapy hands and out the small window in front of her, Justin suddenly entering her mind. She was mean to him earlier. She wasn't meaning to be, they were actually... communicating in a decent manner for the first time in a while. But with a few simple words, he had managed to send into a rage that only he could accomplish. She sighs inwardly, returning to scrubbing the plates but Justin stays at the front of her mind, causing a battle to begin within her again.

You don't miss me though? Not even a little bit? Of course she did, everyday but things were just different now. So much had happened... things that he knew about and things that he didn't know about. And after all that time, how was she supposed to tell him? Oh by the way Justin, I've been keeping a life changing secret from you for fifteen years. Yeah, right. Plus, half of Everleigh believed that he didn't have a right to know, not after what he'd said and done. He made his decision that faithful day, and if it were up to her, she'd make sure that he kept it.

But he looked good. She couldn't deny that. She could tell the California sun had done a nice job adding a bit of brown to his always perfect complexion. His hair was the perfect length; long enough to run her fingers through it but just short enough to where it wouldn't curl. And those eyes. They were the same icy oasis that she would lose herself in when they were kids. They still held their playful yet ferventness that had captured her all those years ago. Those eyes were just one of the many characteristics that she saw in him everyday.

But of course, he didn't know that.

Justin's smile was the worst for her though, it almost plagued her. The way it light up his entire face, the way it could change her entire mood within an instant of him flashing it. Whenever he smiled, those little pesky butterflies fluttered around in her tummy. She always hated that.

The doorbell sounds loudly, breaking her thoughts and making her jump slightly. She grabs at a random dish towel and walks quickly through the house to the front door, wiping her hands quickly.

"Lynn. Hi." Everleigh says after throwing open the door, her eyes wide at the red headed visitor.

"Hey Everleigh, are you busy?"

Everleigh shakes her head, "Uh, no, not at the moment. Do- do you need something? Is everything okay?"

Lynn smiles warmly, "No honey, I was just wondering if you could talk, that's all. But I don't want to bother you, I can come back."

"Oh no, come on in, it's no problem, really." Everleigh says, pulling the door open wider and stepping to the side to allow Lynn access.

Lynn steps in and Everleigh shuts the door behind her, pointing over toward the cream colored couch that sits in the bright living room, "You want something to drink? I have um, water, juice, milk... beer." Everleigh mumbles, while heading into the kitchen, her mind racing as to why Justin's mother is there.

"I'll take water if that's okay."

Everleigh nods to herself as Lynn's southern accent floats into the kitchen. She grabs a bottled water and slams the refrigerator door, wiping at her forehead a little before composing herself and plastering a smile on her face, "Here you go." She hands Lynn the cold beverage and waits until she takes a sip, tapping her manicured fingers on her knees, "So? What's up?"

Lynn is careful while placing the plastic cap back on the water bottle and setting in on the glass coffee table in front of her, "Well, I was with Justin this afternoon when ya'll were... talking and I just... he was so upset afterwards and I don't want to pry but I think you're being too hard on him."

Everleigh cocks her head to the side, licking her lips slowly, "I'm being to hard on him?" She repeats slowly, digesting Lynn's words and trying not to become angry.

"Everleigh, he doesn't fully understand the dynamics of things between the two of you now. I mean, obviously." Lynn points out, glancing toward a framed picture handing from the wall.

Everleigh clears her throat, readjusting herself on the couch beside Lynn, "I know that Lynn, but that doesn't necessarily change things, okay?"

"Please don't get mad, I'm not trying to add anymore strife to the situation. But I can't continue to lie to him, I can't. He's my son." She says quietly, her eyes welling up with tears.

Everleigh shuts her eyes and takes a deep breath, flattening her palms out on her jeans, "Lynn, you promised me, remember? This isn't good for anyone."

"Oh Everleigh-"

"No," Everleigh exclaims, standing up from her place, "This isn't just about Justin and him being upset. There are other people we have to think about and I'm saying that this is not the right time."

Lynn rings her hands together, looking up at Everleigh from her spot on the couch, "You don't think I know that? I'm thinking about him too."

It grows silent between the two stubborn women. Everleigh clears her throat again and keeps her eyes on her tapping foot while Lynn picks at her manicured fingers, "I meant what I said Lynn. I'll move the hell away from here in a heartbeat." Everleigh says after a few tense moments, her voice low.

Lynn lowers her eyes, crossing her feet at her ankles, "I know." Is all she says, "Don't do that, please."

"Then don't force me to." Everleigh warns, cutting her eyes over at the older woman.

Lynn shakes her head slowly, smiling nervously to herself, "Okay. I understand that you're looking out for him, I mean, I'm a mother, but just think about my son. You're doing a disservice to not only those two, but to yourself as well. You don't have to continue to do this on your own."

Lynn stands and hugs Everleigh suddenly, taking almost all the breath out of the younger woman's body. Everleigh begins to tear up, emotion completely taking over her body as Lynn embraces her, "I'm always here for you okay? I won't interfere, I promise."

It was now Everleigh's turn to smile out of nervousness, "Thanks."

"Well, I'll be on my way I suppose. I see I've caused enough trouble." Lynn laughs, heading toward the front door.

Everleigh follows suit, leaning against the door as Lynn steps out onto the front porch, "You know," Lynn starts, throwing her Chanel purse over her shoulder, "I'd love to be grandma."

Everleigh smiles softly again, "Maybe one day you will be."

Not hearing exactly what she wants, Lynn relents and waves softly before turning and heading toward her white SUV. Everleigh watches until she disappears before returning into the house and slumping down into the cream colored couch once again. She leans her head against the back of the suede couch and shuts her eyes. She had managed to make it fifteen years without a lot of drama, why was everything coming to a head now?

After a few moments a composing herself, she drags her heavy body back into the kitchen and sinks her hands into the still warm water in the sink, continuing her womanly duties.

You lift me up from above
Your unconditional love
takes me to paradise


A couple of hours have passed, the dishes are clean and Everleigh is still all by her lonesome in her quiet home. Daisy snores softly from her spot by the couch as Everleigh moves back and forth in the kitchen, dicing, chopping and slicing through her raw vegetables and fresh meat. The pots and pans sizzle behind her as the radio still sings softly to her from its nook. She glances over at the clock, not only becoming worried but angry that she hasn't heard from her pride and joy.

She grabs her phone and checks it again, but is disappointed when her inbox is still empty. She flips out her keypad and types furiously, sending her angry yet caring message and tosses her phone back into her small purse. She then returns to her meal, seasoning the pink and red steaks and throwing them into the oven before turning back to her vegetables.

A few minutes later, her eyes flip up to the windows in the kitchen as a pair of headlights flash into the driveway. She hears a few muffled voices and car doors slamming shut before a pair of feet thumping up to the front door.

"Don't be mad." He says a few minutes later, stepping into the kitchen and watching the small woman in front of him, "I was gonna text you but you know how it goes."

"No, how does it go?"

He scoffs and throws his arm around her shoulder, "What would I look like in front of my boys texting my mom? Not cool, ma."

You make me feel so divine
Your soul and mind are entwined
Before you I was blind
But since I've opened my eyes


Everleigh giggles and rubs his back a little, "I guess you're right but until you’re eighteen, you need to at least give some sort of notice that you're still alive. I left something for you in your room."

She laughs again as he takes off without a second thought, dashing past Daisy, who lets out a bark and follows suit. Everleigh pulls out the steaks from the oven as his muffled excitement floats down towards her through the hallway. He reappears a few minutes later, his brand new Jordan's adorning his huge feet.

"Have I told you that you're the best mommy a boy can have?"

Everleigh laughs loudly, throwing her head back as she places their food on individual plates, "You are crazy as all get out, you know that?"

"I learned from the best!" He rushes over to his mother and plants on kiss on the side of her face, "Thanks mom."

"You are very welcome honey. You hungry?"

He rubs his hands together and takes in a deep breath, "Of course, I'm a growing boy you know."

"Grab some cups please and get the butter for the rolls dear." Everleigh says, grabbing the two plates and placing them neatly on the kitchen table.

The two move around each other grabbing bits and pieces of everything they need for dinner before plopping down beside each other and saying a quick grace. Everleigh sits and listens as her boy runs down his days events, while stuffing her cooking into his face as if he's never eaten before. She looks him over, unintentionally tuning him out as he oozes Justin from head to toe. From his tight, curly, short hair to his dark rimmed glasses to his tall, thin physique. The square chin, the unmistakable nose and that twisted, snarky side smile...

"Dez?"

The young boy stops dead in his sentence, glancing up at his mother, "Yeah ma?"

"I love you baby."

He smiles slowly, turning his head slightly to the side, glancing down at Daisy, "I love you too ma."

I belong to you
And you
You belong to me too
You make my life complete
You make me feel so sweet

I Belong To You - Lenny Kravitz


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story