Author's Chapter Notes:
thank you guys for all the reviews! keep them coming, you know I love them!! :)

oh, and I've added all the cast pics!
FOUR: The Event
Part One


September 1995

Everleigh Bryant has a plan. She's thought long and hard about it since the previous Sunday and she was ready to make her move. Butterflies fluttered through her small body as she readies herself for school; goosebumps covering almost every inch of her light brown skin. She's not nervous though, not like she thought she'd be when this time came. She was excited, she was... elated really.

She looked herself over in the mirror, running her thin, long fingers through her messy hair, fluffing it slightly before smoothing her loose graphic tee down. She turned slightly, taking a quick glance at her butt in her tight jeans before dropping her eyes to her dirty black converses. Approving of her outfit, she throws open her medicine cabinet and grabs at random pieces of makeup, closing the cabinet a few seconds later and leaning into the mirror. She carefully unscrews the dark mascara and lightly passes the brush along her long lashes, stepping back just for a second to check out her handy work before slamming the stick back into the thick liquid and going back for a second layer.

She then moves on to her blush, swirling the large, puffy brush around the flaky, slightly pink powder before tapping it around the edge of the sink to rid it of the extra gunk. She turns her triangle shaped face to the side and slides the brush along her high cheek bones, rubbing her fingers over her skin slightly to rub the powder in, not wanting it to be obvious that she wearing makeup. She then turns to the other side, repeating her steps until she's fully satisfied.

She adds a flirty pink hue on and around her eyelids, and glosses her lips slightly before stepping back one last time to look over herself again. She fluffs her long hair again, taking a few of her slightly curly locks into her fingers and twirling it in a slow circle as the butterflies began to come back. This was the last time she'd be looking at herself like this. Tomorrow morning she'd be... different.

After a few more minutes of gawking and pulling at herself, Everleigh finally flips off the light and exits the bathroom, scrambling around her room, picking up her books and pencils and other random school supplies and throwing them into her backpack. She makes her bed quickly, glancing up at the clock that hangs on her wall, before grabbing her bag and skipping down the back stairs and into the kitchen.

"Well look at you, don't you look pretty today." Her small mother, Sheila, says as she continues spreading mayonnaise onto Everleigh's sandwich.

"Thanks mama. Can I have a few bucks? I'm going to the movies after school with Trace, Jesse and Justin." She lies, plopping down at the kitchen table and popping a grape into her mouth before ripping into an orange.

"Sure thing baby. What time do you think you'll be home?"

Everleigh shrugs, chewing slowly on a piece of the orange and she continues to release it from its citrusy rhine, "I'm not sure, we'll probably end up going over to Justin's afterward so maybe nine or ten."

"Everleigh, not so late on a school night. I want you home by eight."

"Ma!" The young girl whines, her mouth agape from her mother's plight to keep her at home, "I'm fourteen years old, I'm not a kid anymore. Eight o'clock is entirely too early! Plus, Justin lives just right up the street."

Sheila throws up her hands, not wanting to hear anymore whining so early in the morning, "Alright, alright, alright. But your skinny butt better be in this house and in bed by ten o'clock young lady or you're not going out this weekend, you hear me? I mean it."

"Thanks mom. I gotta go." Everleigh says, standing from her seat and rushing over to her mother’s side, grabbing at the brown paper bag and planting a quick kiss on her cheek, "I'll be home by ten, I promise."

"Have a good day honey." Sheila calls after her daughter, watching as she grabs her black backpack and racing toward the front door.

Everleigh stops momentarily, grabbing her mother’s wallet from her purse and pulling out a twenty dollar bill before calling back, "You too mama!"

She pushes her way through the front door, letting the screen door slam behind her as she skips down the porch and begins her journey to E.E. Jeeter High School. The sun is shining bright and cool breeze whips through the trees as she walks quickly through the neighborhood, meeting up with a select few of her female friends. They laugh and giggle on their walk until Everleigh breaks off as she passes by the drug store, calling after them that she'll see them in home room.

She jogs into the store and makes a b-line to the back of the small store. Once she reaches the desired isle, she stands quietly as she eyes all of the different packages, a small lump forming in her throat. What size did she need? What material? How many? Maybe she hadn't thought this entirely through all the way. After a few minutes of shaking her head out of pure confusion, she just grabs a random box and turns on her heel quickly making her up to the slightly older cashier and tossing the box onto the counter.

The older boy eyes her suspiciously, grabbing the small box and looking her over again, "How old are you?"

Everleigh sighs, placing her hands on her hips, giving as much attitude as possible, "Old enough."

"I could get in trouble for this."

"Who cares? You don't know me, I don't know you, who's gonna know?"

He chuckles a little, deciding that he likes her spunk, "Just tell me you're eighteen and we'll call it a day, okay lady?"

She smiles and hands him the twenty dollar bill, "I'm eighteen."

The cashier scans her one item and throws the box into a small bag, handing it along with her change back to her, "Have a nice day, although it looks like you're already planning on it."

Everleigh laughs and snatches her items, shoving her change into her pocket and hiding her contraband in her backpack. She winks at the older boy, waving quickly as she turns on her heel and heads out of the store, squinting slightly as she walks back out into the bright sun. She jogs the rest of the way to her school, running into her class room with just mere seconds to spare before the loud bell begins to ring.

She passes by Trace and Jesse, who scrunch up their faces at her girly appearance, "Who are you trying to impress?" Jesse asks, poking her in the side as she steps past him.

"Wouldn't you like to know? Where's Jay?" She asks, sitting directly behind Jesse and to the side of Trace.

"He's always late, you know that. He's probably still doing his hair." Jesse laughs, turning in his seat to glance at her again, "You look good Ever."

She smiles genuinely but hits him in the shoulder, not wanting to ruin her hard exterior with him, "Shut up Jesse."

The kids continue to chat amongst themselves as a few kids continue to filter in, taking advantage that their teacher is running late. Being the last one to arrive, Justin slides in quickly, jogging over to seat and slouching in it quickly just seconds before Mrs. Stein slams and locks the door, "Quiet down!" She nearly screams, setting her purse and books down on her large, wooden desk.

"Took you long enough Timberlake." Everleigh whispers, taping him lightly.

"Oh cram it, will ya. You don't-" Justin stops mid sentence as he does at double take, looking her over, "Do you have makeup on?" He whispers back.

Becoming suddenly embarrassed, Everleigh tucks some of her hair behind her eyes, turning her face away from him slightly, "No, no," he whispers harshly, grabbing her arm, "You look beautiful."

She smiles bashfully, biting her bottom lip, "Whatever. Hey, you wanna hang out after school?"

"Yeah, my mom's helping my grandma in Nashville so she'll be gone until late tonight. Just you and me?"

"Am I boring you, Mr. Timberlake?" Mrs. Stein asks loudly, taking a break from calling roll.

Justin stutters, a wide smile spreading across his face, "No ma'me. I'm sorry Mrs. Stein."

The older teacher clears her throat and continues calling out names, each child either raising their hand or calling out here as their name is broadcast, "Everleigh Bryant?"

Everleigh raises her hand, "I'm here." She says, waiting a few seconds for Mrs. Stein to move on before turning back to Justin, "Yeah, just you and me."

Justin smiles in return and Everleigh's plan in set into motion. She smiles wide and taps her fingers on her desk, biting her bottom lip, counting down the minutes until school was out. She goes through the motions, switching from class to class, pretending to be paying attention as the teachers drone on and on about absolutely nothing at all. In geometry, she doodles on her worksheet, her head held in her palm as her foot bounces back and forth.

She feels a slight tap on her on her back and she turns quickly, another smile spreading across her face as her friend Madison, slips in the empty desk behind her, "What's up Mads?"

"Girl, let me tell you. I got three tickets to the Three 6 Mafia underground concert tonight! One's got your name on it..." She hints, flicking her eyebrows up and down quickly.

Everleigh lets out a disappointed grunt, slumping her shoulders slightly, "Damn it! Dude, I've got plans already for tonight."

Madison scrunches up her face in disbelief, "What?! No you did not just say you have plans. Break that shit off and come with me! Jesse's coming with."

"I can't. I wish I could though, it sounds like so much fun."

Madison throws up her hands in defeat, "Well, if you change your mind let me know. You missin' out woman."

Everleigh giggles, swatting at Madison a little with her small hands, "I really wish I could. Thanks for the invite though."

"So what are you doing that's so important tonight anyway?"

A sly smile spreads across Everleigh's face, "Nothing, I'm just hanging out with somebody tonight."

Madison scoffs again, "You're seriously telling me you're gonna miss seeing Three 6 Mafia to hang out with somebody? Really? I'm like, disgusted right now."

"It’s not just somebody, it's just... I don't know."

It takes Madison a few moments but the light bulb finally goes off, "Oh shit! It's a boy huh? Damn, no wonder you got all dolled up and shit this morning. Oh, I got chu' now."

Everleigh throws her head back, laughing whole heartedly, "Shut up, we're just gonna hang out, nothing's going to happen."

"Yeah right, I said that too last summer when Jimmy Dobbs invited me to his house while his mama was stuck at work."

"Oh my god, it's not even like that! For real." Everleigh squeals, dropping her pencil with a soft thud on her desk, a smile playing on her face the whole time, "We're just gonna hang out, that's all."

"Then what's with the make up? Huh? Just tell me who it is, and I’ll give you some pointers."

Everleigh waves her hands, another fit of giggles rushing through her body, "No way, I don't need any pointers. Everything is going to be pure and innocent."

"Girl, just tell me it’s not short ass Trace, please. You guys have been hanging out a lot lately." Madison says, leaning up in her chair.

Everleigh's mouth drops open, "I'm offended that you even said that to me just now! Hell no it's not Trace. And plus, we've been knowing each other since we were practically born. That would be... gross."

"Oh thank god. Well, I guess I better get back to my 'a + b=c' shit. Have fun tonight! I better get details tomorrow!"

"Everleigh Bryant and Madison Cromwell break it up and get back to work." Mr. Black says, peering over at the girls from behind his desk.

"Yes sir." The girls say in unison, Madison jumping up from the unassigned desk and walking back to hers.

The rest of the day is a blur and finally, there's only a few minutes left. Everleigh packs her books back in her bag and glances back up at the clock, biting her lip. Three, two, one... the loud bell rings throughout the school and the hundreds of students nearly stampede through the halls, making last second stops at their lockers and joining up with their friends before busting through the front doors and out into the daylight.

Everleigh skips down the large steps and spots Justin, Trace and Jesse a few feet away, huddled next to the flag pole, "What's up boys?" She greets as she steps up to them, pushing Jesse slightly to make room for herself.

"Damn girl, why are you so fucking violent? What 'chu gotta be pushing on me for all the time?"

"Because I love you, don't you know?" She replies, throwing her arms around his neck.

"God, what has gotten into you today? I'm not used to this side of you." Jesse says, squirming under her grip a little.

Justin smiles at the two, "You guys ready?"

The foursome starts their journey to their separate homes, talking and laughing and joking the entire way. Jesse's the first to break off from the group, giving Justin and Trace a fist bump and hugging Everleigh before he skips up to his front door. A few minutes later, it's Trace's turn, slapping Justin on the back and then slamming his fist roughly into Everleigh's shoulder, causing her to squeal in pain.

"God, you're such a pussy." He says, smiling a toothy smile before heading into his childhood home.

And then there were two...

Incomplete
god gave me style is the author of 19 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked Weakness and Rapture in Tennessee also liked 611 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story