Raina waits by the front window for her mother to get home. She’s supposed to be at Mrs. Timberlake’s house in 15 minutes, but her mother isn’t anywhere to be found. Cynthia, Raina’s mom, works part time at a local library and sometimes gets pulled into side projects that the library has going on. That’s why she’s late tonight. 

 

Raina pulls out her cell phone and dials the seven digit number. 

 

“Hi, Raina.”

 

“Hi, Mrs. Timberlake. I’m probably going to be a little late, because my mom got stuck at the library again.”

 

“Oh, is she going to be really late? I’m sure Justin or I could come over and pick you up.” Mrs Timberlake always sounds so happy and carefree when Raina talks to her.

 

“She said about 25 minutes late.”

 

“I’ll call Justin and have him stop by your place on the way here. It doesn’t make any sense for you to wait around, since he’s going that direction anyways.” 

 

“Ok, I’ll call my mom and let her know.” Raina says as she stares out the window. 

 

“Ok, see you in a little bit.” Mrs. Timberlake hangs up and Raina dials her mom’s number.

 

She gets her mom’s voicemail, which doesn’t surprise her. Cynthia is always away from her phone or her phone is on silent. 

 

“Hey mom, it’s Raina. I just wanted to let you know that Mr. Timberlake will be picking me up to go babysit, so you don’t have to worry about getting home and taking me. See you tonight.”

 

She hangs up and glances down at the time. It’s already been 5 minutes since she hung up the phone with Mrs. Timberlake and Justin still wasn’t there. Just as she was about to go to the bathroom, she sees a car pulling into her driveway and sees Justin get out.

 

 

You're always dying inside

That much closer to home

A crowded street corner

Surrounded by people, all alone.

Pain in the heart

Ran in the dark

The wind is glum and bitter

She walks around the corner

Its like she brought the sun with her

Then everything just brightened up

I couldn't make this up

My fingers in my eyes as she walked by

Like I was waking up

In so many words

I couldn't string a sentence together to bother her

I instantly forgot all my plans and started to follow her

 

 

She opens the door and quickly walks out to the car. “Hi,” she mumbles as he walks towards her. 

 

“Hi, are you ready?” he asks with a smile.

 

“Yep.”

 

“Let’s get on our way. It’ll be a long ride.” he says getting back into the car. 

 

Raina sits in the passenger seat and watches as he turns the ignition on. He glances sideways at her and she turns to see why, but he turns away to look out his window for cars. 

 

“The kids are excited.” he says after they pull onto the road. 

 

“That’s good.” she whispers looking out her window. “I haven’t seen them in a long time.”

 

“They’ve grown up. Kendell acts like a 20 year old sometimes. I can’t believe how big she is getting. It feels like just yesterday that I was holding her tiny body in my arms, rocking her to sleep. Hannah is getting so big, too. Just yesterday she asked me when she can start dating.” Justin’s voice becomes softer as he continues to talk about his daughters. 

 

Raina can tell he really loves Kendell and Hannah. She looks over and watches as his expression softens with every word. He looks over at her and smiles, like he’s a kid getting caught doing something bad. 

 

Its like the sky opened and God handed you directly to me

I know it sounds crazy but so is life, I'm sinking

Feeling like your heart is beating solely for me

 

 

“I’m sorry, you don’t want to hear about them.” he mutters wiping his hand over his short hair. “How’s school been going?” he asks turning to glance at her again.

 

She laughs slightly, “I’d rather talk about your kids than my school work. It’s really stressful since finals are next week, but I’ll make it through.” 

 

Justin smiles slightly, “I kind of miss the stress of school. It’s a lot easier than the stress I face today.” 

 

“I guess.”

 

The car stops at a red light and Justin looks at her again. He just starts to smile and she looks over at him. She blushes because his eyes slowly take in her whole body. Raina doesn’t miss the fact that Justin unconsciously licks his lips and smirks a little more when he looks at her bare legs. 

 

 

Your legs are long and toned

You must be walking home

I love the way your lips move

When you're talking on your phone

Intoxicating and truly viewing impurities

Plague every thought of you 

While I'm trailing you like your security

Lost, we couldn't know our paths would cross

But time knew it

Feet sticking out the window of opportunity

Climbing through it

Pain for sale

Looking to find a new taker

Chance to speak blown

When you looked at me

I looked in the newspaper

 

 

Raina pulls at the hem or her dress and clears her throat, drawing Justin’s attention back to her face. “The light’s green.” she whispers pointing out the windshield. 

 

Justin takes a deep breath and concentrates on driving, like nothing even happened. 

 

30 minutes later and after a very awkward car ride, they pull into the Timberlake’s driveway. 

 

Raina gets out first and feels Justin’s eyes follow her as she walks in front of the car. He gets out and walks next to her, but a safe distance apart. 

 

Justin opens the front door for her, “We’re here.” he calls out as they step into the foyer. 

 

“Daddy!” A little girl comes running from the hallway and Justin picks her up twirling her in the air. 

 

“How’s my Kendoll doing?” he asks as he kisses her head. 

 

“My name isn’t Ken doll, daddy.”

 

“It isn’t?! I thought it was.” 

 

Kendell shakes her head and in the process wipes Justin in the face with her curly hair. 

 

“Ow!” Justin yells and pretends to cry. 

 

Kendell’s face quickly changes to worry and she looks to Raina to see what to do. “Daddy, I didn’t mean to hit you. I’m sowry.” she says as she pets her dad’s face.

 

Justin starts laughing and kisses her cheek. “I’m just playing with you. You didn’t hurt me.” 

 

“You mean.” Kendell says as she hits his shoulder. Raina laughs quietly and Justin glares at her while whispering into Kendell’s ear. 

 

 

I'm miles out of my way

Creepy, I want more

I would've turned back

But you stuck your key in your front door

I'm standing across the street

The stars have aligned us to meet

Standing outside with your trash

Feeling incomplete

My finger aching for your doorbell

Like a random blob

Instead I lurked outside in the cold

Like an abandoned dog

Perish the thought:

You should cherish the words that I got in my mouth

The only words that can truly explain how I got in your house

 

 

 

“Raina, daddy says you aren’t getting payed tonight.” Kendell says proudly.

 

“Oh really?” Raina raises an eyebrow at Justin.

 

Justin whispers in his daughter’s ear again.

 

“Yes,” Kendell repeats. “Because you’d laughed at him pain.”

 

Raina just smiled and watched as Justin put Kendell down and told her to go get mommy. 

 

Justin sits down on the couch and pats the seat next to him, “you can sit if you want. It’ll be a while until Jamie and I leave. That woman takes longer to get ready than any woman I know.”

 

Raina looks at the spot he patted and is hesitant. She looks to see if there are any other chairs free, but there aren’t. She sits next to him, but as far away as possible. After that awkward car ride, she doesn’t want to make anything more awkward. 

 

Justin laughs as she gets situated. “I don’t bite.” he says.

 

Raina straightens out her sun dress and crosses her ankles, trying to ignore the comment he just made. She tucks a piece of hair behind her ear and can feel Justin’s eyes on her. She just stares down at her hands in her lap and tries not to acknowledge him. 

 

“Your hair is longer.” 

 

She nods her head slightly and swallows hard. Why is this so uncomfortable? 

 

“I like it.”

 

Her eyes widen at his comment, but she tries to stay calm and not show how uncomfortable she is. 

 

“Did you dye it?” His voice sounds closer and her eyes shut for a moment before she shakes her head no.

 

 

Because the sky opened and God handed you directly to me

I know it sounds crazy but so is life, I'm sinking

Feeling like your heart is beating solely for me

Unlikely, impossible, I couldn't dream and think it

There's something happening between us, you can't deceive

I'm so in over my head I've learned to breathe in it

Your eyes are screaming and they're saying "No, baby" to me

If there was a way out I think you would've taken it

My hands and arms are the only way that you can leave

Face to face for the first time you feel what I'm feeling

Selfishly no longer breathing 

Because

Of me 

 

 

She hears him clear his throat and stand up, but she doesn’t look up from her lap. 

 

“I’m going to go see how Jamie is doing.” he says before leaving the room. 

 

Raina looks up to see him walking out of the room. She sighs and looks down at her phone seeing what time it is and hoping that they leaved soon. 

 

15 minutes later, Justin and Jamie enter the room again. 

 

“Sorry that took so long.” Jamie says as she grabs her coat. “Dinner is already in the oven and the kids should be in bed by 8. Trevor’s brother will stop by at 7 to pick him up. Have a good time.” Jamie says as she kisses her daughters goodbye.

 

“We will. Hope you have fun also.” Raina says as she waves bye to Jamie. 

 

“Justin, be safe.” Jamie says as she closes the door and walks to her car. 

 

“I thought you were going with her.” Raina says to Justin once Jamie has left. 

 

“Nah, I’m going out with the guys tonight. See you later.” he says kissing Kendell and Hannah. He looks at Raina one last time before shutting the door and walking to his car. 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Song Credit: I Never Knew You by Cage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-0Eeb2R-AY



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jailbait daddyj affair