Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows that the war is over
Everybody knows the good guys lost
Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
That's how it goes
Everybody knows

:::::

I love you

The words echo in Raina’s head as she tries to concentrate on the test sitting on her desk.

How can he love me? Why did this happen? He can’t possible have meant it, it’s not right and I’m only 16. She thinks to herself as she taps her pencil on the desk. So much for getting an A on this one, she’ll be lucky if she even finishes.

Justin confessed the biggest thing last night and right after they slept together. Raina was hesitant, but she just couldn’t say no. Her mind was yelling as he guided her back to the bed and continued to kiss and touch her, but for some reason her voice neglected to say the right answers and now Raina can’t think of anything but last night.

She got home around 3 am and she tried to look over her notes, but all she saw on the notebook pages was her and Justin in bed. Waking up this morning was quite the chore and Cynthia became worried when Raina locked herself in the bathroom for an hour. Raina claimed she was getting ready, but Cynthia could here her daughter crying softly.

“Hey,” Miranda says as she passes Raina’s desk “the bell rang.”

Raina looks around the classroom and sees that everybody else had left. She glances down at her test and sees that she tried to answer only one question. They stand up and walk towards the teacher’s desk.

Mrs. Safro takes the tests and looks up at Raina with concern. “You didn’t answer any of them.”

“I’m a bit distracted.” Raina says with a sigh trying not to picture Justin topless and kissing her. “A lot on my mind.”

Everybody knows that the boat is leaking
Everybody knows that the captain lied
Everybody got this broken feeling
Like their father or their dog just died



“I would say you can retake it, but I’m not sure since grades are due tomorrow. This final is 40% of your grade.” Mrs. Safro knows that Raina isn’t usually like this. Raina is a star student and always at the top of the class, or at least she used to be. “Are you free tomorrow after school? You can come in and retake it then.”

Raina mentally runs through her schedule and nods her head, “yeah, that should be fine. Thanks.” she says before leaving with Miranda not far behind.

“What the hell?” Miranda mumbles as she pushes past other students in the hallway. “You ok?”

“Yeah.”

“I don’t believe you.”

“Why not?”

“You never fail a test. What’s gotten into you?” Miranda says looking sideways at her friend. “You’ve changed.”

“And you’re overdramatic. I just have a lot on my mind.”

“No, you’ve definitely changed. I tried calling you again last night, but your mom said you weren’t home. If you weren’t home and you weren’t with me, where were you?” Miranda says as she opens her locker and throws her books in her backpack.

“I was out.”

“Till 1 am?” Raina rolls her eyes at the question. “Don’t roll your eyes, your mom was worried.” Miranda says as she faces her best friend “so was I.”

“Well, stop worrying, I’m fine.” She says as she swings her backpack over her shoulder. “Plus I got in at 3 am not 1 am.” she mumbles to herself as she slams her locker shut.

Miranda leans closer, “what was that?”

“I got in at 3, not 1.” Raina says before walking down the hall, away from her best friend and not even waiting for a reaction.

She walks to her house and on the way she stops at the local starbucks and picks up a mocha to sip on as she makes the long journey home. She smiles when she thinks about last night and she can’t stop thinking about Justin’s confession.

Everybody talking to their pockets
Everybody wants a box of chocolates
And a long stem rose
Everybody knows


“You in there?” a voice says from behind her. She stops walking and turns to see Jamie making her way to Raina. Raina looks around and notices that she is indeed already in front of the Timberlake residence. She smiles at Jamie and shrugs.

“I’m just in a zone. Last night was crazy.”

“You keeping busy?” Jamie asks as she fixes the blanket that’s covering Hannah’s tiny legs as she sits in a stroller. “Studying?”

“Something like that.” Raina says as she watches Kendell run towards the two. “Need help?”

Jamie smiles at Raina offer, “that would be great. Are you heading home?”

Raina nods as she grabs Kendell’s hand.

“I just wanted to take them for a walk before Justin got home. He usually does it but I thought I wou-” Jamie stops in mid-sentence and sighs. “Guess I can never win.”
Raina turns to see Justin pulling into the driveway. She smiles as he gets out and Kendell runs over to him. He twirls her around and then makes his way towards the group.

“Where you running off to?” he says looking at Jamie and then smiling slightly at Raina.

“I was going to take them for a walk so you wouldn’t have to worry about it when you got home, but you showed up early.” Jamie says as she kisses Justin on the cheek. “Want to take them? Raina offered to help.”

Justin glances at Raina in surprise when he hears the last part. “Yeah, I would love to take the girls out for awhile. You need some time apart from them.” He leans over and kisses Jamie’s forehead and Raina shudders and tries to look anywhere but at them.

Jamie smiles at Raina and thanks her and then turns and returns to the house. Justin turns to the three girls and he smiles happily. “My favorite daughters and babysitter.” he says innocently and Kendell and Hannah giggle, but Raina knows the alternative meaning.

Everybody knows that you love me baby
Everybody knows that you really do
Everybody knows that you've been faithful
Ah give or take a night or two
Everybody knows you've been discreet
But there were so many people you just had to meet
Without your clothes
And everybody knows


She smirks internally as the begin their walk. Kendell grabs Raina’s hand and Raina can’t help but feel like they are a little family. She looks at Justin as he pushes Hannah in the stroller and she smiles as he moves his sunglasses from the top of his head to cover his eyes. He looks over at her and smiles in return.

“Kendell, you want to stop at the playground?” he asks without looking at his daughter.

“Yeah!” the little girl yells as she pulls on Raina’s hand towards the playground. “Come on!”

Raina laughs, “I think I might stay behind, you go ahead.” Kendell lets go of her hand and runs towards the swings. “So much energy.” she says more to herself.

“Yeah, tell me about it.” Justin says as he walks up next to her and unbuckles Hannah. He picks her up and sets her down patting her small behind, silently telling her to go play.

They stand there watching as Hannah runs off and tries to join her older sister, but Kendell is off making friends of her own.

“You’re awfully quiet.” Justin says softly as he looks at Raina.

She shrugs, “I’ve got nothing to say.”

He smiles and Raina isn’t sure what to do. “Come here.” he says motioning for her to step closer to him. He stands behind the stroller, blocking anybodies view from his hand as he grabs her hand and squeezes it. He looks at her and smiles as she looks down at their hands and then up at him. “I won’t bite.”

“That’s a lie.” she mumbles as she looks towards the playground.

Justin laughs at her response and leans closer to her so that her shoulder is hitting his upper arm. “You liked it.” he whispers into her ear.

She squirms when she feels his breath on her neck. He’s too close and she knows this is not the place to show affection. “Keep it in your pants.” she says pulling away and patting his shoulder with her free hand. “The girls will see us.” she says as she tries to pry her hand out of his, but his grip is too strong.

“They aren’t paying attention to us.” He says as he leans forward, resting his elbows on the stroller and bringing her hand out into the open, with his own. He lifts her hand and kisses her knuckles lovingly. “I love you.” he whispers into her hair, looking as if he’s just glancing around the park.


And everybody knows that it's now or never
Everybody knows that it's me or you
And everybody knows that you live forever
Ah when you've done a line or two
Everybody knows the deal is rotten
Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton
For your ribbons and bows
And everybody knows


She sighs and just stares ahead, not even watching the girls anymore. She can’t. Not when she has him doing all this crazy stuff to her. Without fully thinking it through, she leans against him and rest her head on his shoulder. The girls run towards the couple and hardly notice how close they are.

“I’m hungry,” Kendell whines as she sits on the bench near by.  

“Well then let’s go get some food.” He picks up the little girl and she giggles as he tosses her up in the air. “How’s McDonald’s sound?”

“Can I get the toy food, daddy?” the girl asks as her eyes light up at the thought of a toy.

“Toy Food?” Raina says with a laugh. “I think you mean happy meal.”

Justin laughs at the girls exchange. “Babe, you can get what ever you want.” he says as he kisses Kendell’s cheek. “Just don’t tell mommy.” he adds as he places her on the ground.

“Come on Hannah.” Raina yells to the little girl still on the playground. “You hungry?”

Hannah nods and climbs into the stroller.

“Let’s head out!” Justin yells as he pushes the stroller and looks at Kendell and Raina walking next to him. He smiles when Kendell and Raina run ahead racing each other to the stop sign. Of course Raina let’s Kendell win, which results in loud cheers and a giant smile from the little girl.

“Did you see me run fast, daddy?” she says as Justin catches up to the two.
“Hardly. You were running so fast is was just a blur!” He kisses her head. “Grab Raina’s hand while you cross.” He says as they look for traffic and then continue on their way.

Raina and Kendell start singing Miss Mary Mack and Justin can’t help but smile when he sees the smile on both their faces. Raina turns to look at him and catches him watching her. She raises an eyebrow in question but doesn’t say anything.

They make it to the restaurant and choose a booth. Justin goes to get the food leaving Raina and the girls alone at the table.

“Did you like the playground?” Raina asks as she fixes Hannah’s pigtails.

“Yes! I love it!” Kendell says, “Daddy said I can have the toy meal!” she adds as she kneels on the bench looking for Justin.

“I know. Don’t worry, he’ll be back. What was your favorite part of the park?”

Kendell taps her chin with her finger as she tries to think of the day. “When I went down the slide. It was fast like this.” she says as she moves her hand through the air. “I screamed loud.”

“I heard you.” Raina says with a laugh.

They sit in silence for a few seconds and then Kendell looks at Raina again. “Why was daddy kissing your hand, like he does to mommy?”

Raina’s eyes get bigger at the girl’s question. She didn’t think Kendell saw that. She tries to think of something that will satisfy the little girls curiosity. “Well,” she starts as Justin gets to the table with a tray full of food.

“Soups on!” he says as he passes the girls their happy meals and sits next to Kendell.

Raina let’s out a sigh as Kendell becomes distracted with her brand new toy.

“You have to eat the food.” Justin says as he opens the toys for the girls. He starts to eat his own food and looks at Raina oddly. She hasn’t touched her food yet, it’s still on the tray. “You ok?” he asks biting into this hamburger.

“Yeah,” she says shaking her head and smiling before grabbing her food. “Just got side tracked about something.”

Justin nods slightly, but Raina knows he didn’t buy the excuse. He reaches under the table and rubs her knee softly. She almost chokes on her soda when she feels his hand.

“Drink much?” Justin asks sarcastically as Raina recovers from her coughing attack.

“Shut up,” she mutters under breath.

“Oooo, you said a bad word! Mommy said we can’t say that.” Kendell says knowingly as she looks to Justin.

Justin nods, agreeing with his daughter. “Yeah Raina, that’s a bad word.”

Raina just rolls her eyes and Justin laughs.

And everybody knows that the Plague is coming
Everybody knows that it's moving fast
Everybody knows that the naked man and woman
Are just a shining artifact of the past
Everybody knows the scene is dead
But there's gonna be a meter on your bed
That will disclose
What everybody knows





                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Chapter End Notes:

Song Credit: Everybody Knows by Leonard Cohen

 http://youtu.be/9F8QM3tjkTE



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jailbait daddyj affair