Music blasted from the stereos in the club as everyone danced the night away. If it wasn't for the glow in the dark rings we were given at the door, you wouldn't have been able to see a thing. I had only been here for thirty minutes and I was really anxious to leave. This type of scenery wasn't for me. I wasn't the type to be hanging out at clubs. The only reason why I was here, was because my best friend, Sun begged me to come. She said it would be the last night I spend with her in 2010 and that it would be special. Boring is more like it.

I sat at the bar, watching the dancing bodies move across the floor. If I sat here any longer, I probably would die. I glanced at my watch, realizing what time it was. Ten to midnight. Finally. Once it hit twelve o'clock, I can be on my way.

"Tara!!!!" a voice shrieked. My eyes zoomed in on Sun who was waving at me and at the same time, grinding up on a total stranger. "Come here!" I shook my head 'no'. "Aw, come on! Stop being an old person!" Whatever that meant.

This was one of the reasons why I hated coming to clubs. First of all, I was too shy to even get up on the dance floor and secondly, I saw no point in them. It was a waste of money. Literally, people come here and spend hundreds of dollars on liquor and then they wonder why they can't pay their bills on time. Oh, and this was not the place to meet anyone. There are a bunch of weirdoes here. I hated it.

"Excuse me." a voice woke me out of my thoughts. I gawked to the side to stare at a guy sitting two chairs away from me. He was wearing an all black suit, looking like he had just come from a funeral. "Are you drinking that?" he asked, pointing at my glass of cranberry juice.

"I'm sorry?" and he's an example of what I'm talking about.

"I'm just asking. It look like you hardly touched it." this guy had to be drunk or on something. He just didn't look like he was in his right mind. His eyes were blood shot red like he hadn't gotten any sleep in days. And you could smell the alcohol on his breath from a mile away. Poor guy. I actually felt sorry for him. He really did look like he'd been through a lot.

"You'll have to excuse my friend." Another guy in an all black suit stood beside him. "He buried his mother today." I knew it.

"I'm so sorry to hear that." I took a moment to survey the poor guy in mourning. "My condolences."

"Thank you." his friend replied. "I'm Justin and this is my friend, Jim. Well call him Jimmy. And you can call me whatever." he chortled, extending his hand out to shake mine.

"Tara." I responded while shaking his hand. This was actually the first person I've met since I've been here.

"Nice to meet you." he took a seat between me and Jim. "So, do you come here often?"

"Um--" I lifted my head to gaze in his eyes. "No. This is my first time coming here. My friend, Sun forced me against my will to come join her while we count down to the new year." he laughed faintly.

"Really? What an--interesting friend. I'm guessing you're the type who stay indoors. You know, like the indoor girl. That sorta thing." she shrugged her shoulders, intertwining her fingers together.

"I guess you can say that. This is not really my type of thing. I don't see why come here. Everything you do here, you can DO at home." she spoke simply.

"Yeah, except meet a beautiful woman." she peered in his eyes, searching for some sort of sign. Was he actually flirting with her? It was so pathetic how hard it was for her to take hints.

"Um--" she quickly looked away, gazing back out on the dance floor. Sun, where had she gone? She just vanished. Her eyes skimmed through the moving bodies for a sign of her, but no such luck. Maybe she had gone to the restroom. Well at least that's what she was hoping for considering she had driven there with her.

"Did you only come here with your friend?" Justin struck up another conversation, distracting her.

"Yes. It's just me and Sun. Hey, you think you can maybe watch my seat for me? I gotta visit the ladies room." she slid from off the stool, standing to her feet.

"Sure." she squeezed through the crowded room, making her way towards the restrooms a few feet away from her. As soon as she entered the room, she could hear moaning coming from one of the bathroom stalls.

"Fuck me, Fuck me, Fuck me, Fuck meeee."

"Oh my god." she mumbled, covering her mouth in shock as she gazed at a man and woman having sex up against the wall. And to her surprise, it was a familiar woman at that. "Sun?" she froze, looking over the guy's shoulder to stare at her.

"Tara?" she pushed the guy off her, brushing down her outfit with this embarrassed look on her face.

"What are you doing? Why are you having SEX in a public bathroom? Let alone with a complete stranger? Ugh! Take me home. Now!" she barged out of the restroom, heading straight for the bar.

"Everything okay?" Justin asked in concern as he watched her throw a twenty dollar bill on the counter.

"No!" she snapped, peering in his dark brown eyes, slowly feeling herself begin to calm down. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap. I just--" she was startled by loud voices chanting.

9...8...7...6...

"Great. Just what I was waiting for. Now I can leave."

4...3...2...

It seemed like time was slowing down as she watched the numbers from 2010 change to 2011.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

The ball dropped and so did balloons and confetti paper. This start to make her realize how unhappy and boring her life was. Everyone around her was smiling and enjoying life, but she on the other hand had wished she was never born.

"Tara?" she focused in on Sun who was standing in front of her, clutching her purse in her hand. "I'm so--"

"Just forget it. Let's go." she started to walk off when she remembered something. "Oh yeah, um--it was nice meeting you." she spoke to Justin who remained in the same location she left him.

"You too." she smiled, turning and walking off.

"Who was that guy?" Sun asked as they exited the building.

"No one." she replied, ambling towards the car.

"Well he couldn't have been no one. I mean--he was digging you. He was literally--" she hastily twirled around to face her.

"Will you shut up? Just shut up!" she took a step back, flashing her an unpleasant look. "I can't believe you. Do you know what your parents would do if they found out you were fucking some guy in a club? Huh?!" she raised her voice. "Your dad is allll the way in China on a business trip and you're here fornicating with guys in a restroom--"

"It was only one guy." she corrected.

"Oh wow! And that makes it even better?" she shook her head pathetically. "This will be the LAST time I come to a club with you."

"Look, you're going way overboard with this. Just chill, okay? It's not like I haven't done it before. Besides, when did you become my mom? This is my body and I can do whatever the hell I want with it." she spoke with attitude.

"Oh yeah? Well next time, don't invite me to one of your charades again. I didn't sign up for this."

"Tara?!" Justin shouted, jogging up towards her. "I'm sorry. I forgot to give you this." he handed her a business card. She hesitantly grabbed the card, reading the bold lettering in black ink. "I would really like to--get to know you. You know, get together sometimes. I own a beach house 30 miles East from here. Maybe I can take you to visit it one day? If you're not too busy."

"Um--I don't know. I'll think about it." he nodded.

"Sure. Nice meeting you again. See you soon." he spoke with confidence. She watched him walk away, glancing back at the card he gave her.

"Justin Timberlake, MD."

"Wait, what?" Sun quickly snatched the card from her, reading the words aloud. "Justin Timberlake, MD. Plastic Surgeon?" her eyes lit up animatedly. "This has got to be your lucky day. You just met a doctor! You know what this means, right? He has money." she rolled her eyes.

"Is that all you think about, Sun? Money? This guy is probably married with kids. I mean, why would someone so handsome with money still be single?"

"I don't know. Maybe he enjoys being a bachelor?" she guessed. "Or--" she began, sitting in the drivers side of the car. "--maybe he's not committed. You know, like-- what if he just bounces from woman to woman?" she slid the key in the ignition, conveying the car to life. "I think you should call him. If you don't, I will."

"And why doesn't that surprise me." she blurted out.

The following morning, Tara took a visit to the grocery store. She had to pick up a few items for the week. She logged everything in her notepad on her iPhone so she wouldn't forget anything. As she was ambling towards the store, her phone had went off. She quickly pulled the phone from out of her back pocket, peering at the familiar picture on the screen. "Hello?" she answered, placing the phone beside her ear. "Sun? Hey, what's up? How's that hangover? Haha. Well that's good for you. I warned you." she entered the store, grabbing a basket on her way further in. "Hmm, well I'm at the grocery store now. Did you want me to pick up something? Need some
saltine crackers or something?" a price had caught her eye. "Wow! They have oranges on sale. 99 cents a pound."

"Good morning, Miss Hutchinson." a cashier greeted her with a smile.

"Oh, hey Al. How are you?" she responded, heading towards the dairy section. "You know, I can't really talk now. I have this basket in one hand, and I have to use my other hand to grab a few things--if you know what I mean. I'll have to call you back. Bye." she ended the call, placing the phone back in her pocket. "Dammit. Just remembered--" she grabbed her phone once again. "The list."

After collecting all of the items, she headed for the registers. She noticed there wasn't a line at register 5, so she immediately walked towards the register, nearly bumping into someone. "Oh, I'm sorry." she apologized, instantly recognizing the individual. A huge smile formed across his lips.

"Tara? Wow. I didn't think I would ever see you again. This is a surprise." she smiled in return. "You live around here?"

"Actually--" she began, sitting her items on the counter for the cashier to ring up. "--no. I live like, 50 miles from here." his eyes lit up surprisingly.

"Are you serious?" a soft chuckle escaped her lips.

"No, not really. I was just joking." she noticed the items he had in his hands. A newspaper, a loaf of bread, a carton of eggs and a half gallon of milk. "I can tell you live alone." he followed her eyes to the groceries he held in his hands.

"Why do you say that?"

"It's nothing." she pulled her wallet from out of her purse as the cashier began ringing up her items.

"You know, I can figure out what you're thinking." she started to swipe her card, but he had stopped her. "I got it." she watched in bewilderment as he reached in his pocket for his wallet.

"No, I can't--"

"It's okay. It's only twenty dollars. Oh and plus my items. Can you add these to it?" he spoke to the cashier.

"Justin, I think you're getting the wrong idea about me." he handed the cashier his credit card. "I don't usually take offers like this. I should be paying for MY groceries."

"I said it was okay. Seriously, I don't mind." he grabbed the bags, leading her out of the store. "Here are your groceries." he handed her the bags, never breaking eye contact. "Did anyone ever tell you how beautiful you are?"

"I'm wondering something--" she ignored his question. "What's a guy like you doing single? I mean, you're rich, handsome and very charming. I just don't get it."

"Well I'm wondering the same thing." he referred to her.

"Oh please." she rolled her eyes. "I'm not beautiful. I'm just your average girl next door." he shook his head, disagreeing with her.

"You're far from that. Believe me. I don't just give anyone my number. And I sure as hell don't pay for just anybody's groceries." she blushed, holding her head down in a shy like manner. "Let me buy you coffee. I know this great diner up the street. They serve the best croissants in town. Maybe you can try one while we're there."

"I haven't even agreed to go."

"Oh you will. Not if you don't want me to get down on my knees and beg in front of everyone." she bit her lip in thought. This guy was very persistent. Not like any guy she'd ever met, which only made him more interesting.

"Okay, fine. BUT I'm taking my car. I will follow you there."

"No problem. I'll see you in a few." she watched him head the opposite way, towards his car. This guy seemed too perfect, like prince charming. And she never thought she would have met someone like him at a club. Not in a million years.
----------

"Here's your coffee." the waitress sat two mugs on the table. "Will that be all?"

"Thank you. And no. Can you add a croissant? Two."

"Sure. Be right back." he met eyes with Tara who sat across from him.

"So--" he got her attention. "What do you do, Tara?" she cleared her throat, intertwining her fingers together.

"I'm an artist. I draw in my spare time." he flashed an interesting look.

"That's amazing. Have you sold any paintings?" he watched the waitress sit the croissants on the table. "Thank you."

"No. I'm working on that. I haven't chosen the perfect one to put up for sell just yet." she took a sip of her coffee. "What about you? How long have you been a plastic surgeon? You look awfully young to be in that sort of field. No offense."

"None taken. I've been practicing for five years now. I um, do vagina rejuvenation." she nearly choked off the coffee going down her throat. "You okay?" she reached out, grabbing a napkin from off the table.

"I'm sorry." she wiped her mouth area. "That sort of came as a surprise. I thought you were gonna tell me you do breast implants or something like that. I wasn't expecting--vaginal--"

"It's okay. No need to apologize. Here--" he reached out, wiping at the corner of her mouth. "You missed a spot." she concealed her blushing by holding her head down.

"Maybe I should go." she stood to her feet. "I really have to finish my errands."

"Oh, of coarse." he stood up, meeting her gaze. "Can I call you sometime?" she started to sit a bill on the table, but he stopped her once again. "I got it."

"Are you gonna let me pay for something?"

"Not when you're with me." those exact words made her heart flutter. "I can take care of it." he placed a twenty dollar bill on the table. "Are you gonna call me?" he asked, following her out of the diner.

"I don't know. Maybe if you let me pay for something for a change. Maybe then I'll call you."

"Really? I will go collect my money right now just so you can pay!" She broke out laughing. "Will you call me then?" he asked, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "You're not gonna make me beg, are you? 'Cause I'd really hate to have to embarrass you like that." she laughed faintly.

"You don't give up, do you?"

"Never." her eyes lit up in shock when she realized something. "What? Are you okay?" she held this horrid look on her face.

"Oh my god." she covered her mouth in fright. She was so upset and just determined to get back home. "I gotta go." he watched her hop in the car, and turn the ignition on.

"Are you all right?" he asked in concern.

"I promise to call you." she spoke, speeding out of the parking lot and on the road.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story