JC couldn’t be happier with the way his parents had accepted Laura.  Her nerves were completely gone now, especially after his parents started telling embarrassing stories about his childhood. 

“I just want you to know that when I meet your brother, I’m going to take him aside and get the most embarrassing story of your childhood.” 

 “Wow, look at how late it is.  Are you getting hungry? I can whip something up real quick.”  His mom suddenly asked in the middle of the conversation that hadn’t stopped flowing between the couples. 

“Oh no, mom, let’s go out to eat.  Laura can call her brother and see if he can meet us.  I was thinking about taking everyone for some authentic Chicago style pizza.  How does that sound?” 

“Sounds good, if you’ll excuse me I’ll give Dave a call and see if he’s free.”  Laura stepped out of the room to place the call to her brother as Karen turned to JC and whispered, “She is perfect for you, JC.  Don’t ever let her go.”

Roy agreed wholeheartedly.  “A woman’s heart is a precious thing, son.  It needs to be treasured and loved and protected.  You can lose everything, but don’t ever lose her heart.”

“I don’t plan to, I…”  He stopped as Laura came back into the room, the phone held slightly away from her mouth. 

“Dave says yes, do you mind stopping and picking him up at his apartment?”

“Not at all, maybe I’ll pick him up and take him out to eat and leave you at his place so I can get all the embarrassing stories about you.” 

“Haha!”  Laura said sarcastically, before putting the phone back to her mouth.  “JC says it’s a huge inconvenience, but now he feels obligated because -.”  She stopped talking and everyone could hear laughter from the phone.

“I will not and just for that you can buy supper!”  Laura laughed as she said, “We’re not far from you, we’ll be by in about 20 minutes?”  Looking at JC’s confirming nod, she said her good byes and hung up. 

“Let’s go, then.  Rush hour should be over by now, but you never know.”  JC stood and waited for his parents to gather what they needed to go.  His parents just exchanged a look.

Karen went and hugged Laura as she said, “You’ve never met Dave have you, JC?”

“No, not yet, why?”

“Then you two go and have a good time with Dave.  Why don’t you plan on coming here for supper tomorrow and bringing him with you?”

“You don’t want to come with us?”  Laura asked.  “I want you to meet my brother.”

“You take this time and let him get to know JC.  If he’s like the typical brother, he’ll have to size him up and make sure that JC is good enough for you.”  Everyone laughed at that.  “Bring him by tomorrow for supper.  I know we will have a chance to get to know your whole family very well these next few months.”   

“If you’re sure.”  Laura said hesitantly.  JC knew his mom had her mind made up and there would be no changing it so he hugged his parents one more time before opening the door for Laura. 

“We’ll see you guys tomorrow, make something good mom!  Have a nice evening.”

“Good night, welcome to the family Laura!”  Roy called just before the door closed. 

JC used the remote to unlock the vehicle as they made their way down the sidewalk. 

“You have the nicest parents, JC.  I just love them!”

He flashed a grin her way, before moving to the drivers side.  “They loved you too, you could tell.  I was lectured by my own parents not to let you go.”  Once they were both in the car, he said, “If my parents lectured me, I can’t imagine what yours are going to do to me!”

She laughed, “Just wait until you meet Dave, he’s a very scary person!  I should know, he used to torment me terribly.”

“You probably deserved every minute of it!  I know my siblings did!”

She gasped in mock offense.  “I can see tonight is going to be fun, I’m already being made fun of!” 

“Well, I’ve gotta do something to get on your brothers good side so he won’t beat me up for marrying his sister.”

“That is true, he could snap you like a twig.”  Laura looked him up and down in the dim light of the car.

“Stop, now you’re making me nervous.”

“Turnabout is fair play.”  They chuckled lightly.

Laura gave quiet directions to Dave’s apartment building. 

Pulling into a parking spot, Laura hopped out as soon as JC turned the car off.  Alone in the car, JC took a steadying breath before opening his own door.  He knew he had to give a good first impression, this was a man who could make his life miserable if he felt JC wasn’t the right one for Laura. 

Laura grabbed his hand as she led him up the stairs and knocked on a door, giving him a reassuring smile as the door opened.  From Laura’s description, he pictured Dave as very studious, he was currently in grad school, close to finishing his degree then one he graduated he was going back home to Ohio.  But the man, who opened the door and grabbed and picked Laura up in a hug was far from what he expected. 

Dave was at least 5 inches taller than JC, broad shouldered, and even hugging Laura he was already sizing up JC.

Laura was laughing as she kept asking Dave to put her down.  JC swallowed hard as he finally got the full stare from Dave.  The intensity in Dave’s eyes made JC nervous, but grateful that Laura had such a support system. 

Stepping back, Laura linked her right arm through JC’s tugging him a step forward.  “Dave, I would like you to meet someone very special, my soul mate, and fiancé, JC.”

Dave must have liked what he saw, because his gaze softened and he reached out a hand to shake JC’s.  Giving a silent sigh of relief, JC’s hand was nearly swallowed by Dave’s.  His grip was firm, but not crushing.    

“Congratulations, I wondered if you would stop here while you were in Chicago.”

“How did you know we were in Chicago, and come to think of it why aren’t you surprised?”

“Mom told me you were coming to Chicago and dad asked me to check out JC if we met and size him up since you’re getting married.”  JC’s eyes narrowed, the surprise was about to be ruined. 

“Wait, how do they know we’re getting married?”  Dave merely turned his attention to JC.

“Umm…I actually called and talked to your dad before I asked you to marry me.  I wanted to get his blessing first.”  Laura’s hand came up to her mouth as JC blushed.

“Awww…you did?  That is so sweet!”  She reached up and brushed her lips with his.

Dave groaned as he stepped into the hall and shut the door behind him.  “None of that now, you’re my sister.  I don’t need to see that.”

The couple broke apart, but kept staring into each other’s eyes.  “Be quiet, Dave, someday you’ll meet the perfect woman and I’ll make sure she knows that you are far from perfect!”

“Whatever, I thought you were taking me out to eat.  Let’s go, I’m starving.”

***

The evening had gone perfectly, JC and Dave found a common bond over sharing a deep dish pizza and conversation that revolved around many topics including embarrassing stories of Laura.  At the evenings end, Dave and Laura stepped out of the car to exchange a hug.  During the hug, Dave gave his approval of JC.  “He’s so right for you Laura, he’ll make you so happy.  And if he ever hurts you, I’ll hunt him down and beat him up!”

Supper the next evening included Karen and Roy, Laura and JC, Dave, Heather, and Tyler.  Never had two families clicked so well so fast.  It was as if they had known each other for years. 

Now that the cat was out of the bag and Laura’s parents knew about the engagement, even before she had, Laura called them up and they were able to spend time talking with the Chasez family over the speaker phone.  Wedding plans were well on their way as Laura and her mom invited Karen to go dress shopping with them in a couple of weeks.  Plans had even been made for the Chasez family to spend Thanksgiving at Laura’s house with her family.  That way everyone could see the church and reception hall for the wedding and finalize any plans that needed it.

The pressure was off when JC met her parents again.  He had previously met them on one of his trips to visit Laura and then officially gained their approval when he had formally asked for Laura’s hand in marriage.  Their time together with Ken and Mary, Laura’s parents passed easily as everyone could see the love between the couple. 

A couple weeks later, Laura flew back out to LA to spend her birthday with JC and make some final decisions about the wedding.  JC had picked her up at the airport and delivered her safely to her hotel.  Laura had said she didn’t want anything fancy or special to celebrate her birthday and was hoping JC didn’t go too over the top. 

She had strict instructions to change into something ultra comfortable and be ready at promptly 7:00 p.m. Skipping down the stairs to the first floor, she walked outside and sat on a bench in the sunshine to wait for her fiancé.  At times Laura couldn’t believe her good luck in finding JC.  He was perfect for her, balancing out her strengths with his own.  She had always known the man who won her heart would have to be strong enough to handle her own personality and not be threatened by her own ideas and opinions.  Both were old enough and mature enough to go for what they wanted and they each knew that they belonged together forever.  Laura knew they would have challenges ahead especially with JC’s career.  He would forever be in the spotlight.  It was such a part of him and where he felt at home.  Laura had no qualms about supporting him as she had no desire to take over the spotlight that surrounded him.  He could get lost in his work, but so could Laura.  She was secure enough in her own right, that she didn’t need him to be around 24/7 and would have no problems calling him on the excessive time he spent at the studio if something else important was happening. 

Her head was tilted back soaking in the sun when JC pulled to a stop in front of her.  Rolling down the passenger side window he called out, “Hurry and get in before my fiancée comes down.  We have time for a quick spin before that old woman gets through the lobby.”

Giving him a glare through her lowered lashed, she moved to open the door.  “I’d be careful if I were you, there is someone else here who is even older than I am.  I’d hate to have to take his walker away and watch him fall.”

Before buckling her seat belt, she leaned over and accepted a kiss from his smiling lips.  “This had better be worth all the abuse I’m taking today!”

 “It’s always worth it because even if you hate what we are going to do, you get to spend the next several hours staring at my beautiful face.”

“You are really too shy, do you know that?  You should come out of your shell.”  Laura said with a laugh. “You’re modest too, if nothing else, you are the most modest person I’ve ever known.”

“Yeah, baby, and don’t you forget it!”

“So what are we doing this evening to celebrate me being another year older?”

“It’s a surprise, now close your eyes and lay back.  It’s a little bit of a drive so you can take a nap if you want to.”

Laura yawned.  “I wasn’t the least bit tired until you said that.  I don’t really want to sleep yet.  I’ve missed you these past couple of weeks.”

“I’ve missed you too.”  Grabbing her hand, he gave it a light squeeze watching traffic  so he could enter the freeway.  “That’s why tonight is going to be so special.  There is to be no wedding talk tonight, I feel like that’s all we talk about any more.  Tonight is just about you and I and our future together.”

“That sounds wonderful.”  They fell silent as traffic picked up so JC could concentrate on his driving.  When he glanced over several minutes later, he smiled when he saw her asleep, head resting on the window. 

Half an hour later, JC pulled into a hidden driveway that led down to a private beach.  Here they would be away from cameras and spying eyes and could be alone. 

Parking as close to the beach as he could, he turned off the engine and watched as Laura woke and stretched.  “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to fall asleep like that.”

“You’re beautiful when you sleep, even if you do snore.”  He exited the car quickly at his statement, looking back at the shocked look on her face.

“Maybe so, but have you ever listened to yourself?  That first night at my house I couldn’t sleep because I was afraid the house would fall down from the noise.”

“Ha – you couldn’t sleep because you knew JC Chasez was in the next room!”  He said in a high voice with his hands pressed against his chest like a teenage girl would do.

Getting out of the car, she walked around to his side and shoved his chest, “Like I’ve said before you really are too shy and not arrogant at all.”

Grabbing her by the waist, he pulled her body against his and lowered his head.  Their lips met in a passionate kiss, one hand moving to the back of her head, tilting it for deeper access.  The other hand was pressing firmly against her lower back so she could feel his desire for her plainly.  One of her arms wrapped around his waist to steady the world that was spinning so deliciously, the other hand tangling in the locks at the back of his head.  Moving away from her lips, he placed open mouthed kisses along her jaw and down her neck until he met the barrier of material at her shoulder.  Taking his hand from the back of her head, he shoved the material aside so he could taste her skin. 

Laura’s heart was racing, the sensations she was feeling were wonderful, but a little voice told her she needed to stop this before it went much further.  She opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out as JC’s lips found the delicate spot just below her ear. 

“J – JC, we- um- we need to ohhhh,” she tried again.

“Hmm?”  He hummed against her ear as she shivered from the feeling, he was using those magical lips to nibble on her earlobe. 

“Stop, we…need …to …stop.”

He pulled back slightly to look into her eyes, his were almost black from the desire he had for Laura.  Hers were glazed as she tried to focus on him. 

“Why?”  He said shortly, moving away from her so abruptly she had to reach back to the car for support.

“Why what?”  She asked in confusion.

“Why can’t I love you?  We’re going to be married in 3 months.”

“Exactly, we’re going to be married in 3 months, it’s not like you didn’t know this beforehand.  I want to wait until after we’re married.  I made a promise to myself and God to wait until marriage.”

“I know I just…never mind.”  He opened the trunk of the SUV and started gathering supplies.  Laura wrapped her arms around his waist as leaned her head against his back.

He paused as he enjoyed the feeling.  “I love you JC, just think of all the love we can make on our honeymoon.  Hmmm.  I hope we’re going some place secluded, we may not be leaving the room at all.  I’m not doing this to punish you, I’m really not.”

His large hands rubbed her crossed arms that rested against his stomach.  “I know, I just got caught up in the moment.  I’m sorry, it won’t happen again.”  Twisting in her arms, he dropped a kiss on her nose.  “I promise.”

“I trust you JC, more than anyone I’ve ever known, it’s just as hard for me.  Our wedding night will be spectacular!  Our love will be one that will go down in history as being one of the greatest love stories ever!”  She said lightening the mood.  “Now about my birthday, where are we and what are we doing here?”

“We are at a friend’s private beach.  I wanted to come somewhere that we can be alone and just talk.  I know you don’t like crowds and this is the complete opposite of crowds.  But tomorrow a friend of mine is having a small birthday party we’re going to so they can finally meet you.  I’ve told them everything about you, but they are convinced that I’ve made you up, so I have to prove them wrong.”

“I love you, JC.  You are the other half of me.  I’ve waited for you all my life.”  Laura said out of the blue.

“I love you too, more than life itself.  Now let’s get this party started!”

***

The next morning, Laura woke up with a throbbing headache and an upset stomach. Groaning she thought to herself, I can’t be sick, I’m in LA, and am going to a party tonight.  Several of the people in her office had been sick the last few days, but Laura had hoped to avoid it. 

Maybe a shower and getting something to eat would make her feel better.  After showering and dressing, she headed downstairs to the breakfast buffet.  Looking over the options made her stomach rebel and she knew she wouldn’t be able to keep anything down.  So she grabbed a glass of juice and drank it slowly as she walked to the drug store next to the hotel.  Quickly grabbing some cold and flu tablets, she paid and hurried back to her room, just in time to lose the juice she had had. 

Flushing the toilet, she stood to brush her teeth, but as she was putting the toothbrush in her mouth, JC’s special knock told her he was at the door.  Leaving the toothbrush in her mouth, she opened the door and ducked back into the bathroom, leaning on the counter. 

“I thought you would be up by now,” he said giving her a kiss on the temple.  Then getting a good look at her in the mirror, his forehead crinkled with concern.  “What’s the matter, are you sick?”  He put the back of his hand on her forehead to check for a temperature. 

Spitting the toothpaste out, she rinsed her mouth before sagging against him.  “Yeah, I think I caught that flu that’s been going around the office.  You might want to stay away, you don’t need to get sick.”

“Get back into bed and I’ll get you some medicine.”

“I just got some from the store next door, but haven’t taken it yet.”

Pulling the covers back, Laura laid down in bed, while JC opened the packet and took out a couple of pills.  Filling a glass with water, he sat on the bed and handed her the pills and water.  After she drained the glass, he took it and refilled it, placing it on the nightstand next to her.  Climbing behind her, JC laid down and pulled her back to his front, soothingly rubbing her stomach as he hummed a song in her ear. 

Several hours later, JC awoke with a start as Laura shoved his arms aside and jumped out of bed, closing the door of the bathroom behind her.  Apparently the medicine hadn’t worked.  A few minutes later, she emerged from the bathroom and lay down next to him again. 

“I’m sorry you’re sick,” he said.

“Me too,” she sighed.  “What time is your party tonight?”

“I’m not going to the party.”

“Why not?”

“Because you’re sick.”

“Thank you for the sentiment, but I’ll be fine, go to your party, and have a good time.  I’m just going to lay here and go to bed early.  Not that I’ve gotten out of the bed today anyway.”

“I don’t want to leave you alone while you’re sick.”

“I’ll be fine, could you get me some soup and crackers, then get going to your party.  They’ll still think I’m a figment of your imagination though.” 

“Are you sure?”

“Positive, hopefully, I’ll feel 100% better by tomorrow.  Everyone else has only had this for 24 hours.  Give them my apologies and maybe we can plan another time to meet.”

“Ok, but first you need to take some more medicine.”  The process was repeated again before JC left to scrounge up some soup to make Laura feel better. 

JC brought the soup back and waited while Laura ate as much as she could, before kissing her on the forehead, extracting a promise from her to call if she needed anything, and heading out the door.         

Laura planned to make it an early night.  She had no idea how wrong she was. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story