Wedding plans were officially back on, not that many people had known that the plans had been questionable for a while.  Karen had called Laura’s parents to talk to them about the situation, but none of them knew what the real problem was or how serious it had been.  JC and Laura had agreed that the “situation” was between the two of them and was now in the past, never to be remembered again. 

JC had always treated Laura like a lady, but now after “the incident” everyone could see that they were closer than ever.  He was so tender with her, he was constantly pulling her close to him when she was near and following her with his eyes when she wasn’t.  Laura was the same way.  If someone happened upon them, that person felt as if they were intruding as the world the couple was in was only big enough for the two of them. Laura had always dreamed of a love like that and could hardly believe that it had happened to her. 

***

Laura and Mary flew to Chicago one weekend to be with Karen and go dress shopping.  Karen was thrilled be included and to finally meet Mary in person.  She was also able to show Laura the dress she had mentioned in that phone call many days ago.  Laura deemed it perfect for her.  After looking at many different dresses, none seemed just right.  They decided to try one last shop before calling it quits for the day. 

They entered the dress shop and Laura gasped.  There it was – the perfect dress, she immediately asked to try it on. 

When Laura stepped out in “her” dress, both mothers were speechless.  It was satin and tulle, with detailed crystal and silver beading.  The tulle overlay for the skirt had a scalloped edge that also had elaborate beading.  It fit her as if it had been made for her, falling to the floor in a graceful cascade.  She appeared as if she were floating as she moved around the room.         

Later that evening, back at Karen and Roy’s house, Laura excused herself and went to the room where she was staying, where JC stayed when he was there.  Laying on the bed, she thought of how soon it would be when she would be sharing one with JC, not just dreaming of it as she breathed in the scent of his pillow.  Soon they would be united forever. 

Rolling on her back, she pressed a button on the phone then put it to her ear. 

“Hey sweetheart,” JC answered in a tired voice, but she could tell he was smiling. 

“Hi, how was your day?”

“Long and miserable without you.  I miss you so much.”

“I’m sorry, I miss you too.”

They fell silent for a moment, just enjoying the sound of the others breathing. 

“I’ve got some news that will make you feel better.”

“What’s that?”  He asked.

“I found my dress today,” she exclaimed excitedly, moving so she could lean against the headboard and clutch a pillow to her chest and breathe in his smell. 

“Really?”  His voice turned tender, “What does it look like?”

“Well, it’s white and long and beautiful.”

His cheery chuckle warmed her heart, “That narrows it down, doesn’t it?”

She giggled lightheartedly, “And that’s all you’re getting until the big day.”

“I’m counting the hours.”

“Me too, I’m sitting here on your bed, hugging your pillow.  It smells just like you, you know.”

A soft tapping came at the bedroom door, “What if you didn’t have to hug a pillow?”

“What do you mean?”  She asked as she got off the bed and walked to the door absentmindedly. 

A huge smile came over her face as she opened the door and noticed who was standing there.  Dropping the phone on the dresser next to the doorway, she leapt into his arms. 

After spending a few minutes alone, they headed back downstairs talking about their evening plans. 

“Joey came with me to deal with some business and would love to see you.”

“Well, mom and I are planning to head to Dave’s, why don’t you have a boys’ night out with Joey?”

“You don’t mind?”

“Why would I mind?  What are you going to do?”  She asked as they stopped at the bottom of the stairs.

“Probably just grab a bite to eat and hang out a while.  When you get done at Dave’s give me a call and join us.”

“Ok,” she said as she brushed her lips against his and called to her mom so they could get going, “Have fun.”

***

A couple hours later, Laura’s phone rang as they were leaving the restaurant from supper.  Glancing at the screen, she answered cheerfully, “Hey honey, are you bored already?”

“Laura, it’s Joey, there’s been a small accident.  JC’s mostly ok, but we think his leg is broken.  Can you meet us at the hospital?”

“What??  What happened?”  Covering the mouthpiece quickly, she told her brother to head to the hospital.

“He fell, he should really tell you the story, it’s a great story.  He’ll be fine, he just wants you to meet us at the hospital.”

“I’m on my way,” she hung up and urged Dave to go faster. 

Chapter End Notes:
Review!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story