In the middle of the night, Karen got out of bed to use the bathroom and decided to check on JC.  See if he was sleeping okay or if he needed anything.  She flipped on the light in the hallway rather than risk waking JC if he was asleep. 

Pushing the partially opened door, she looked in and her heart warmed.  To see her son in such a loving relationship was good for her soul.  She knew that Laura would take good care of her son, love him, care for him, and balance his life with laughter and joy.  And he would do the same for her. 

Hearing the bathroom door close and then reopen, she quietly and quickly walked to see who it was.  Seeing Mary there, she put her fingers to her lips in a gesture of silence and motioned her to walk down the hall.  Gesturing to the opened bedroom door, she stepped out of the way to let Mary observe the couple sleeping wrapped in each others arms. 

Pulling the door halfway closed again, both women went into the kitchen where they could be a little louder. 

“I’ve prayed for years that Laura would find a man that would love her and take care of her and I thank God every day that she has found an amazing love in JC.  They were made for each other.” 

“I’ve done the same for JC.  Laura is so good for him.  He was off track for a while, but Laura brought him back into the light and made him whole and himself again.  I’m so glad they found each other.”

“Those two are going to last forever.”

In camaraderie, the two women talked mother to mother for a while before they both went back to bed.

***

JC woke the next morning with his leg throbbing.  Laura had been awake for a few minutes and was now again rubbing a hand over his back and through his hair.  She could tell the instant JC awoke as he started rolling his neck and she could feel the stubble from his face rub against her stomach, even through the cotton of her shirt. 

“How’s your leg this morning?”

He yawned before answering, “Like it’s broken.”  Her slight chuckle caused him to tip his head back at her and reply, “So I’m your knight in shining armor, huh?”

“Well at the moment, I would say that you are more like a knight in shining Velcro and metal,” referring to his walking cast. 

Laura brushed the hair away from his eyes, noticing a look of pain that was subtle but evident.  “Are you ready for another pain pill?”

“In a minute, right now I want the best medicine on earth,” he pushed himself up so he was sitting next to her before leaning in for a good morning kiss.  Before he could deepen the pressure, a voice caused them to separate. 

“I thought I heard voices in here.”  Karen walked in asking if they were ready for breakfast. 

Their day had begun.

***

The next morning, Laura and JC were sitting on the couch in the living room.  Laura and Mary’s flight left later that day and she was having a hard time leaving JC while he was hurt. 

“I wish I didn’t have to leave you while you are hurt.”

“Sweetheart, I understand, I really do.  You’ve got a big week at work and you’re needed there.  It’s just a broken leg and I’m sure mom will take care of me until I head back to LA.  And I’m going to guilt Joey into helping as well.  He got me into this mess after all.”

“He may have issued the challenge but you were the one that actually performed the deed.”

“Don’t remind me.”  He groaned, leaning his head back and closing his eyes.  “When are you going to quit anyway?”  He had decided a change in subject was necessary.

“Soon and then you’re going to have to support me.  Are you alright with that?”  She asked in a playful tone.

“Absolutely… you’ll be a kept woman, my kept woman.  At my beck and call, all hours of the day and night, seeing to my every need and want, doing my bidding, umpf!”  She poked him in the stomach to stop his tirade. 

“Well since you’re laid up for the next few weeks, I’ll just send you all the invitations and addresses to stuff into envelopes and send to our guests then.”

“Oh man…that’ll teach me to never accept a challenge again.”  He teased with a twinkle in his eye. 

Just then the doorbell rang and Karen answered it as she walked by.  Dave had arrived to take Laura and Mary to the airport. 

Goodbyes were bittersweet between the couple; it would be a couple of weeks before they saw each other again.  Everyone left them alone in the living room for their private goodbyes. 

Much too soon for JC, he was hobbling to the door to wave one last time as the car drove out of sight. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story