Plans came together and were changed a time or two before they were finalized for the wedding.  JC’s leg healed and he was released from his walking boot but not before he got to address and send out the invitations, although Laura flew to LA to surprise him and help. 

Before they knew it, the wedding was only a week away.  JC and Laura were calm and confident in a sea of chaos of plans and the flurry of activity.  JC and his parents had arrived and were staying at a local hotel until after the wedding.  Christmas with the two families was a wonderful affair.  Everyone got along and the wedding plans were pushed aside for the day.    

They were getting married at the church where Laura had grown up, a small country church on a Friday night at 7:00 p.m.  The wedding planner that JC had hired was making sure that Laura’s vision of the perfect wedding came to reality while keeping the news quiet so as to not gain the attention of the press. 

The rehearsal went off without a hitch, the wedding party was small and intimate, only their closest friends and family were involved.  Once the rehearsal dinner had broken up, JC drove Laura back to her house, holding her hand the entire journey. 

Neither was ready to part ways so by mutual consent, even without talking, they exited the vehicle at Laura’s house and linked hands and hearts together walking in the moonlight together, their last night of singleness. 

“Any lingering doubts?”  He asked her as they walked, their breath warming the air around them. 

“None whatsoever, do you have cold feet?”  She asked in return. 

He turned to face her, grabbing her other hand in his, “My feet are the warmest they have ever been.  I have been waiting for this day for my entire life, you are the other half of me, and I love you so much.”

“You know, nothing in my dreams has ever prepared me for this.  I’ve dreamed of you my whole life, but the dreams can’t hold a candle to the man that you are.  You make me feel complete and so feminine.  I am going to love spending the rest of my life with you.  I love you with all my heart.”

Their lips met as their future laid itself out in front of them with a glorious moon beam from heaven shining down on them. 

***

Much later, they headed back to the house, the evening was getting late, and they both needed to rest before their big day.  As they walked, JC asked about the next day’s plans. 

“Well, I’m sure I won’t sleep much tonight so I’ll be up early, then pampering myself tomorrow morning before the busyness begins.  Then my mom, your mom, Heather, and my bridesmaids are coming over for a nice lunch.  Then we need to be at the church by 2 or so and get our hair and makeup done for pictures at 5:30 or so, whenever you guys get done and then waiting for 7 to get here.  How about you?”

“I actually plan on sleeping quite well, since I don’t anticipate getting much the next few nights.”  He raised his eyebrows suggestively as she blushed.  “Then our dads and the guys and I are having lunch someplace.  There was talk of finding a basketball court somewhere, but I don’t know about that then I have pictures at 5 so I have to be all prettied up before that and counting the seconds until 7.”

“Hmmm…”  She whispered against his lips.  “You’d better get going so you can stock up on sleep since you won’t be getting much.  Where are we going on our honeymoon by the way?”

“No way, I haven’t kept it a secret this long, just to tell you the night before.  You’ll have to wait.  Now kiss me the last kiss as a single woman.  Our next kiss will be the kiss of a married couple.” 

“You’d better make it count then, huh?”  They both fell silent as they said goodbye to their single lives.  But saying hello the next night would make everything that much sweeter. 

***

True to her word, Laura didn’t sleep much in anticipation of her big day, the man she had prayed her life for never far from her thoughts.  After trying unsuccessfully to eat breakfast, she settled in for a few minutes to spend by herself before everyone arrived.  Picking up a book, she found she was unable to concentrate on anything but JC. 

Then a knock came at the door.  Glancing at the clock, she realized it was way too early for lunch.  Opening the door, she was greeted with a huge bouquet of flowers. 

“Laura?”  A voice asked from behind the flowers.

“Yes!”  She exclaimed excitedly. 

“Congratulations, where do you want them?”

“I’ll take them, thank you so much.”

“Have a great day.”  The woman walked quickly backed to her car, the delivery complete. 

Laura stopped to smell the fragrant flowers, yellow tulips and pink roses.  Pulling the card out of the envelope, she melted as she read his distinctive script. 

The pink roses are for the friendship on which our relationship is based. 
Our bond will only get stronger as the years pass. 
The red tulips are my declaration of love that I can’t imagine my life without you.  JC

Grabbing her phone from the counter, she decided she didn’t care if he was asleep, she needed to talk to him. 

“Good morning, my beautiful bride.”  He said in a sleepy voice.

“The flowers are amazing and the card – JC there are no words for how sweet you are.”

“Ahh, the flowers arrived.  Since I can’t see you until tonight, I thought I would let you know that I’m thinking of you.”

“They are perfect, thank you!”

***

The women arrived bearing delicious smelling food and lots of chatter, but as they were sitting down to eat, there was another knock at the door. 

Mary was the closest so she opened it to another large bouquet.  All the women were amazed at how beautiful it was. 

Placing the flowers on a nearby table, Laura once again dove into the card. 

Yellow tulips mean hopelessly in love, which I think should be hopefully
in love as our future plans and lives are full of hope and promise. 
Pink tulips stand for the caring that you show me, for you took me in, a stranger, and now look at what we share. 
And purple tulips are for you, my royal princess bride. 
I love you, JC.

Everyone was clamoring to read over Laura’s shoulder, then with a shaking in her voice she read it aloud.  There was not a dry eye in the kitchen. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story