Over lunch that they had delivered to their room, the discussion revolved completely around their baby. 

“We need to tell our parents, should we fly back through Chicago, before heading to Ohio?”

Laura swallowed before answering, “I was thinking we would wait for a while.  Make sure everything is okay and then get them a really great present that says I love my grandparents or something like that for Christmas.”

“Hmm.”

“By then we should have an actual due date too.”

“And you expect me to keep this a secret for the next month?  You know I don’t do well with that!”

“Ha!  Have you met yourself?  You are one of the most private people I know!”

“Not with my friends, with the public, with my fans – yes, but not the people closest to me.”

Laura got up from the table and circled around to sit on his lap when he pushed back to give her room.  JC wrapped one arm around her waist and the other went automatically to her stomach.

“Will you do this for me?  Please?  I don’t want to be treated differently these last weeks of the tour and I want to get used to the idea myself before we start telling the world.”

“How can I not treat you differently?  You’re pregnant with my baby.”

“I didn’t say anything about you!  From you I expect pampering like you wouldn’t believe.  Back rubs, foot massages, catering to my every whim, fixing food for my weird cravings, tender loving care every day from now for the rest of my life.  Can you do that?”

He lightly stroked where his baby was growing before grabbing her hand and bringing it to his lips.  He kissed her fingertips as he spoke thoughtfully.  “Catering to your every whim, huh?”

“Yep.”  She nibbled on his earlobe.

“What about my cravings?”

Her lips traveled down his jaw line to hover over his.  “What did you have in mind?”

“Let me show you.”  He whispered.

***

The performances the last two weeks of the tour were phenomenal.  The audiences and staff didn’t know why, but they readily accepted the new JC.  He was giving his all every night, digging down deep inside himself, going above and beyond anything he had ever done.  Laura knew it was a combination of the excitement of the baby and the fact that he knew this would probably be his last tour; his last chance to hold audiences in the palm of his hand. 

The last night was bittersweet for JC.  He was insanely happy about the new chapter in his life that was opening, but loved the passion from the people in a live audience and would dearly miss it.  Since they hadn’t told people about the baby, no one knew that this was the last tour for him.  Many were joking around about how much bigger the next one would be.  JC simply smiled and went on his way. 

After several encores, JC brought Laura out on stage with him as he savored the applause.  He held tightly to her hand as she gripped his and rubbed her thumb back and forth.  She didn’t know how to help him get through this.  Just be there for him she guessed. 

Finally, he gave one last bow and they ran off the stage, not stopping until they were on their bus headed toward the hotel where he could shower and change.  They would be up early the next day, going to the airport to fly home. 

He sank down onto the couch, resting his head against the back, and closed his eyes.  His heart was racing from adrenaline and sadness.

Laura sat down next to him and just gazed on his profile for a while, debating on what to say.  She decided words weren’t necessary and grabbed on to the front of his costume to pull him over to rest against her.  His head nestled on her shoulder, absorbing the comfort she offered. 

Almost in a daze, he realized Laura was helping him stand and leading him to their room.  She helped him undress and into the shower, before leaving him alone. 

Much, much later JC exited and headed for the balcony outside their room.  After showering herself, she decided JC had had enough time alone and made her way to sit next to him.  She didn’t need words, but she wanted JC to know she was there for him. 

Sliding the door open, she stepped outside.  He glanced over at her with a smile and motioned for her to sit on his lap.  Making herself comfortable, she snuggled into his chest. 

He ran a hand up her leg before settling it over her stomach, her hand rested over his.  “Now onto the future…”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story