"Attention Continental passengers. Flight 2127 has been delayed..."
Niki looked at her watch, "Great! So much for getting to JC by midnight." She looks at her ticket that reads, 'Continental Airlines; Flight 2127 to LAX; departure 2:10pm.' Her watch showed the time at 3:55pm. She had been at the airport since well before noon. She put her satchel over her shoulder, grabbed her coat and the handle to her wheeled duffle before making her way to the ticket counter.

"Excuse me, miss, but how long will THIS delay last?" The young woman behind the counter looked at Niki with sympathic eyes.

"I'm sorry, miss, but we're not sure this time." Niki felt the cell phone in her pocket vibrate. She knew who it was already.

"Thank you." She said before making her way back to the uncomfortable seating at the gate as she pulled out the phone. "Hello," she sighed.

"Hey, baby!" the smooth soft voice sang out. "Are you still at the airport?"

"Yeah. I don't know if I'm gonna make it in time, JC." She plopped herself down in one of the few seats left.

"Don't worry everything will work out fine. What's the delay any way?"

"They said something about ice earlier, but now I'm not sure." She looked out the window behind her. "Everything looks fine to me." Niki sank even further into her seat.

"No problems that I know of here either. Maybe I'll check into a few things here. Ya' know, see what's really going on." NIki closed her eyes as she listened to her boyfriend's voice. She imagined he was right there with her.

"That would be nice, sweeetie. JC, I miss you," Niki sighed into the phone.

"I know. I miss you too. I just wish you could have come with me."

"I'm trying to get to you, but this just isn't working." She put her head down on her lap and began to cry.

"Hey, are you crying? Niki, what's wrong?" his voice full of concern.

"I'm just tired of being in this stupid airport. If I don't get out of here soon, I don't know what I might do." She sat up in her seat to check the monitor for any changes. There were none.

"Hang in there, baby. Let me make a few calls to see what I can find out," he tried to reassure his girlfriend.

"Okay."

"I'll call you back and let you know what's going on."

"Thank you, C."

"Anything for you," he said with a smile. "Okay, gotta go. I'll call you back in a few,"

"Bye." Niki closed her phone once she heard JC hang up and let out a sigh. At least they had the phone to communicate with. She slid the phone back into her pocket and reached into her satchel for the puzzle book she brought with her. It was possibly the only thing that could keep her sane at this point. She found her page and pulled out the mechanical pencil just as her pocket started to buzz again. She took the phone out and smiled as she flipped it open.

"Hey you," she continued smiling.

"Hey yourself," the voice replied. "What are you doing answering your phone? Aren't you suppose to be in the air with the phone off?"

"Yeah, Suni, I am, but I'm still delayed," she sighed. "Not sure if I'm gonna make it out there in time."

"Too bad you couldn't leave this morning with me."

"Yeah, but you know I had to finish that project for work. Otherwise, I would be there already." Niki looked at her watch once again. It read 4:45p. She let out a sigh. "I'm never getting out of the airport. I'm gonna ring in the new year sitting in this stupid terminal," she softly cried out.

"Hey, don't cry. I know that the gods will help you out. You will be here before the stroke of midnight or my name isn't Venus Aphrodite Friend."

"You nut! Your name is no where near that," she giggled.

"Yeah, I know. But it made you laugh, right?"

Niki had to admit it was funny. She heard a muffled voice on the other end followed by a very loud, "Hello, Niki!"

"Umm...the boy says hello."

"I heard him loud and clear. Tell him I said hi."

"I will. He wants to go out for a late lunch, so I better get going. I'm gonna check back on you, but I better be talking to your voicemail when I do."

"Have fun. I'll keep you posted. Later, Suni. See ya' next year."

"I hope to see you before than. Later, gator." Niki listened as her friend hung up the phone before closing hers.

Just as she did, it began to vibrate again. The caller id showed an unfamiliar number, but she answered it anyway.

“Hello?”

“Hey, mami.”

“Where are you?” She had a strange feeling that he was up to no good.

“I’m on my way to meet you.” Niki knew that he had the biggest grin on his face.

“How are you on your way to meet me?”

“Umm…private plane! That’s where I’m calling from. I figured if…”

“Wait! You’re in the air? On the way here? Why?” She was full of questions and waiting for an answer.

“I called in a favor. I figured if you can’t get to me, then I better do everything I could to get to you ASAP. I should be there within the next three hours. Think you can wait that long?”

“I’ve already been here for 5 hours. What’s another 3 gonna do to me? I just wish I had left out with Suni this morning.” She sighed.

“Baby, it’s New Year’s Eve,” JC starts to sing. “A time we can believe…”

“In making wishes and dreams come true. Just for me and you,” Niki joined in. A single tear slid down her cheek as she sang the last note.

“I love it when I get to hear you sing, baby.”

“When you get here, I promise to sing to you all night long.” She relaxed into the hard chair and dried her face with the back of her hand. “I wish I could take a nap or something. I’ve been here all day.” She let out a yawn.

“I’ve already got that covered. There’s a private lounge in terminal B. You can rest and wait for me there.” He grinned. Before he could finish his sentence, Niki was on her way to the lounge.

“So how do I get in?” she questioned while stepping on the moving walkway.

“Ask for Mary Bennett. She’ll let you in and watch out for you. You know, answer any questions you have and get anything you may need.”

“Are you sure this okay, Josh?” Niki was almost at the counter by the lounge.

“Yeah, baby. Don’t you trust me?”

“Of course I do.” She let out another yawn.

“Okay. Let me call you back in a few then.” Before she could respond, she heard a dial tone in her ear.

“Excuse me.” The young woman behind the counter looked up at Niki with a warm smile. “Hi. I’m looking for Mary Bennett.”

“Hello. You must be Niki.”

“How did you…” Niki gave her a puzzled look. “Are you Mary?”

The young woman nodded. “Josh described you perfectly. He and my sister go way back…in a good way.” She lead Niki through a doorway where she saw nice leather furniture, a big screen TV, and a buffet full of food. “If you need anything at all just let me know.” Mary said with a smile as she went back through the door way.

“Thank you, Mary.” Niki watched as the young woman left the room before turning back towards the large leather couch she eyed earlier. Only this time, there was someone leaning against the back of it.

“It can’t be,” she said softly to herself. She watched as he ran his hand through his hair as only one person she knows could. “OH MY GOD!!!” She screamed. The man turned around with an irresistible smile plaster on his face.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story