Niki walked to the room closest to her and found her purple duffle sitting on the bed. She looked around the room until her eyes landed on the one thing she remembered about the room. The framed black and white photo of her and JC that she had given him some six months earlier. It was sitting on the dresser next to a box with a perfectly tied lavender ribbon. She walked to the dresser with curiosity on her heels. She saw on top of the box a small envelope that simply said, “Nicole” in purple ink. She looked back towards the door to make sure she was alone. She heard water running which meant her Scotty was in the shower. Niki then turned back to the box and opened the envelope. The note inside read, “Tonight is about being comfortable.” She was confused by the note without a doubt. Now even more curious as to what was in the box, Niki carefully untied the ribbon and lifted the lid. She gasped when she saw what was inside. Niki pulled the most beautiful tangerine colored dress out of the box. She was too busy admiring the dress to know that she had company.

”Does that mean you like it?” She heard come from behind her. She turned to see JC leaning against the door frame in dark grey pants towel drying his hair.

“I love it, baby!” She ran over to him for a hug.

“Good. Will you wear it tonight?”

“Oh course I will. It will be my pleasure.” She kissed him softly. “Now go so I can get ready.”

“Okay, but call me if you need any help with the dress,” he winked at her before heading back down the hall.

Niki laid the dress out on the bed and started digging through her bag. She gathered everything needed for the process of beautifying herself for the festivities and headed for the bathroom on the opposite side of the room.

Twenty minutes later, she emerged from the bathroom feeling fresh and clean. She even had her shoulder length braids in an elegant, yet simple updo, and had applied just enough makeup to enhance her youthful features. She looked at the strapless dress that was on the bed. The bodice had a corset look to it and tied on the right side of her waist. The skirt part flowed out to just above the knee leaving room for the imagination to wander. Niki ran one of her small manicured hands over the soft fabric before picking it up. She slipped the dress over her head and removed the towel from around her body in one skilled movement. Although she had a little trouble fastening the bodice, the dress fit perfectly. She did a spin the mirror, but stopped when she realized she didn’t have any shoes on. She scanned the room hoping to spot the shoes without moving from her position.

“You look like you could use some help.” Niki heard behind her. She slowly turned in place to see her Scotty once again leaning against the door frame looking sexy in his dark grey ensemble.

“Damn!!! Do we really need to go out?!?” she said under her breath.

“What’s that, angel?” He still hadn’t moved from the doorway and kept his arms behind his back.

“Nothing. I can’t find my shoes, and we’re running late. That’s all.” She sighed as she sat on the edge of the bed.

“OH!!! You mean these?” He held up an elegant pair of shoes that went perfectly with the dress she had on. A mischievous smile spread across his face as he approached her.

“But…but those aren’t…”

“But they are.” JC bent down in front of Niki gently picking up her right foot. “These are the shoes I picked out when I got the dress for you.”

“Oh, Scotty! They’re beautiful.” She watched as he tied a perfect bow on the outside of her right ankle before switching over to her left foot.

“Almost as beautiful as you,” he smiled and looked at her after putting her foot back on the floor. Niki studied JC’s bow tying skills.

“You tied these a bit too well.”

“Hey. Don’t hate, appreciate. Besides, I had a whole week to practice.”

“Practice? And what, dare I ask, did you practice on?”

“A roll of wrapping paper. Wha’d you think I used?”

“Nevermind. It doesn’t matter anyway.” She stood up to look at herself in the full length mirror.

JC watched Niki as she gracefully made her way to the mirror. He was proud of himself. The dress fit her just right in every possible way. “So glad Suni was able to help us out,” he thought.

~~Flashback~~

Hey, C. Where are we going?”

“I need to pick up something for Niki for this weekend.” He turned into the small lot just off Sunset while answering the question.

“Something like what?

”Are you gonna ask me questions all day or be patient and wait?” He looked at his passenger.

“Fine. I’ll stay quiet, but why me? Why did you want me to come shopping with you for Niki?”

“Well, first off, Justin, your girlfriend is Niki’s best friend. In case I have any questions or need her help, we can call her and get her opinion on it. Second, I didn’t wanna do this alone.” He got out of the car and made his way to the small shop that he remembered catching his girlfriend’s eye on her last visit.

“Hey! Slow down, man,” yelled Justin from a few doors back causing the older of the two to stop where he was. “I thought you didn’t wanna do this alone?”

“Sorry, I guess I was caught up in a thought. Forgot you were with me.”

“It’s cool, man.”

~~End of Flashback~~


The sound of someone whistling caused JC to jump slightly.

“Looking good there, Lady Nicole. Looking real good.”

“Why thank you, Sir Christopher. I’m glad I meet your approval. My knight in shining armor did a wonderful job selecting my attire for the evening.” She smiled and a winked at her boyfriend.

“You two are nuts, but I’m sure you already know that.” He walked over to Niki while he let out a laugh. “We need to get going. Chris, we’ll be down in a few.”

“A few what? Minutes, hours, what? I’m not waiting on yo’ skinny butt all night. Life’s to short. Time is flying…” Chris yelled as he made his way downstairs.

“Oh no more RENT for him. I swear, ever since Joey was on Broadway, we’ve got at least one quote a day from Chris,” the singer chuckled.

“I love that musical.”

“And I love you, baby.” JC held the side of her face as he leaned down to kiss her soft lips. “You look beautiful.” He moved a hand down her back and pulled out of the kiss leaving Niki dazed and wanting his lips back mixing with hers.

“Why’d you stop, Scotty?”

“You didn’t finish fastening your dress.” He turned her so her back was now facing him and he proceeded to fasten the corset part of the dress.

“Oh, I guess I forgot about it when I started trying to find my shoes.”

“Well, it’s a good thing I’m here then.” He fastened the last hook and lightly kissed her shoulder. Niki closed her eyes and leaned back against JC as a soft moan escaped her lips.

“Mmm…vanilla. My favorite.” He nibbled up her collarbone and into the curve of her neck.

“Hey! Your few whatever is up! Now get down here so we can go!”

“Scotty, we have to go.” He continued kissing her. “NOW!” She moved away from him and towards the bed where her small bow shaped clutch was. She got it from Suni as a late Christmas gift. “Hmm…I wonder,” she thought. “Something is definitely going on.” She walked to the door where JC was waiting for her and kissed him. “Thank you.”

“For what?”

“For making this the best year of my life.”

“The year’s not over yet.” He led her down the stairs. “We still have a few hours to go.” He smiled.

“I don’t even wanna know what took y’all so long.”

“Good, ‘cause I’m not telling you, Topher.” Niki stuck her tongue out at him and giggled.

“Are you two gonna be like this all night?”

“Maybe, baby, but…will you still love me tomorrow?” she sang and batted her eyelashes.

“Whoa! You do sing!”

“She sure does. All the time.” JC looked at Niki. “Looks like you have your first groupie.”

“Security!!!” she yelled and hid behind the tallest brunette.

“Come on. Let’s go. Looks like I have to play adult and security tonight. Not to mention host.” JC lead the small group out the door.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story