By 10:30p, they were down the hill and at the club. The club was packed, so JC grabbed Niki’s left hand and led the way while Chris held on to her right. JC spoke to as many people as he could before reaching the VIP section. It was less crowed and much easier to find the rest of their group. They were at a large round booth that over looked the dance floor below them. Well, Kelly, Joey, and Lance were at the table.

“Hey, guys! Where are Justin and Suni?” JC asked as he slid into the booth.

“Where else would they be…on the dance floor. Those two are all about dancing right now.” Lance stated. “Matter of fact, that’s where I’m heading myself. Anyone care to join me?” He looked directly at Chris who was looking for a waitress.

“Hey, all I want is a drink. Is that too much to ask for?” Chris asked when he saw that Lance was staring at him.

“You can get one at the bar near the dance floor.”

“But I don’t wanna dance, Lansten. This is not my song.”

“No, but maybe you’ll find a very pretty, very nice young lady on the dance floor that you can buy a drink for.” Lance suggested hoping Chris would finally catch on. He did.

“Okay, but why do I have to buy her a drink?” He made his way out of the booth before turning to JC. “Hey, C, I thought this open bar?”

“It is. Now, go and have fun.” JC smiled. “See youin a few.”

Lance and Chris passed Justin and Suni who were heading to the group booth.

“Hey, guys!” Suni shouted over the music. “Chris, you just get here?”

“Well, don’t you look beautiful.” He hugged her. “Yeah, got here not too long ago. Niki and C are at the table too.”

“Oh thanks.” She looked at her watch. It read 10:50p. “Perfect timing. See y’all later.” She grabbed her boyfriend’s hand and pulled through the crowd. All he had time to do was shrug and wave.

“Perfect timing for what?” Chris asked Lance.

“I don’t know. Girl talk I guess.”

Justin and Suni finally reached the others. Suni took one look at her friend and a huge smile spread across her carmel colored face.

“Girl, you look amazing. Stand up so I can see this dress.” Niki could feel the heat rising in her cheeks as she slid away from JC. There was a shy smile on her face. She was comfortable in her own skin, but when it’s covered with a dress, Niki was always nervous about the way she looked. Being a tomboy at heart, dresses were close to the bottom of Niki’s list of things to wear. Suni knew this and because of it she always gave Niki compliments on how wonderful and beautiful she looked in dresses. Now, Niki stood in front of her friends in one of the most beautiful dresses she had ever worn. “It’s even better up close.” Justin and JC both gave Suni a look asking her not to say anything else. Hoping that she did and Niki didn’t notice, Justin spoke.

“I have to agree, Niki. You look absolutely…WOW!!!”

“Wow! Thanks, Justin. I love the way I feel.” Niki blushed again. Suni grabbed her friend’s hand.

“Okay. Enough of the small talk. Time for a bit of female bonding. Come on.” Suni lookedat Joey who had Kelly blocked in the circular booth and shook her head. “Oh no you don’t, Fatone. Let the woman out. She’s coming with us. And you have my word. No Thelma and Louise is gonna happen while we’re away either.” Suni gave him a sly smile while Niki let out a quiet giggle. “Girl Scouts honor,” Suni added with three fingers up.

Kelly elbowed Joey. “You heard the woman. Now move it!” Everyone laughed as Joey slide out of the booth allowing Kelly the space to join the other two ladies. Suni lead the way across the crowded room as the guys watched them from their seats.

“I wonder what that was all about?”

“Man, C. Sometimes you are hopeless.” Joey said before taking a swig of his beer. “Girl bonding.”

“Which means they’re going to the ladies room to stand in front of the mirror, put on makeup, and talk about us.” JC and Joey both looked at one another before turning rather curious eyes towards their younger friend. “What?!?!”

“I could understand Chris saying something like that but not you.” JC checked his watch. “As long as they’re back in the next half hour, I’m cool.”

“So you got everything planned out for the evening, huh C?”

“Yeah, Justin. I hope so. Suni will have her back in time, right?” Justin nodded as he drank from his glass. Joey sat there trying to figure out what they were talking about.

“Okay, guys, what’s going on?”

“Not to worry, Joe. You’ll find out soon enough.” JC smiled at his still confused friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The three women entered the small lounge area of the ladies room. Kelly sat on one of the ottoman like stools as did Niki who began to touch up what little makeup she had on. Suni, on the other hand, turned her back to the mirror and leaned against the counter. She looked over at her friend and thought, “She has no clue how her life is about to change.”

“So, Niki, how are you feeling?” Suni asked. “And be honest.”

Niki looked at her friend’s back through the mirror in front of her. “Huh? I’m fine. Tired, but other than that, I’m good. Why do you ask?”

“Well, I was just curios. I know that you never really do anything for New Year’s besides watching the ball drop on tv.”

“Are you serious? You’ve never out for New Year’s?” Kelly couldn’t believe what she was hearing.

“Yeah, it’s true. I’ve always wanted to go to a party somewhere, but never really had the nerve to go I guess.” Niki blotted her lips before continuing. “This is the first time I’ve ever been to go to a party and dressing up for it is an added bonus. I was all set to put on my comfy jeans and a tank top too.” Suni and Kelly both stared her. “What?!?! Scotty said wear whatever makes me comfortable. Jeans and a tank do that for me. Suni, you know what I mean. I would have at least put on cute shoes.”

“Well, I’m glad you decided on the dress. Your mother would cry if she saw you right onow. And then, your dad…”Suni paused and thought for a moment. “Hell! Your whole family would flip.”

“What’s the big deal about Niki and a dress?” Kelly asked.

“Nothing.”

“Nothing?!? Please,” Suni turned her attention towards Kelly. “If there was a such thing, our dear Nicole here would be the President of Tomboys of America. Isn’t that right, Niki?”

“Yeah, whatever. I wear dress.” Niki looked at her watch. 11:30 it read.

“Only when you’re forced to.” Suni turned to Kelly again. “You know weddings, prom, New Year’s Eve parties.”

“Anyway, “ Niki rolled her eyes. “We need to head back. It’s 11:30 and I’m sure the guys are looking for us.” She put everything back in her small envelope size bag just as Suni’s bag started to vibrate. She quickly pulled out her sidekick to check her latest text message. It read, “R u on the way back? C’s getting ansty!” Suni let a giggle slip out.

“What’s so funny?” Niki asked over her shoulder while reaching for the door.

“Oh nothing. My brother and his boyfriend were just sending me New Year’s love.” Suni lied as she typed in her reply. “Yeah, on r way. And do something to calm him down…lol”

“They’re on their way. Now will you please clam down,” Justin informed JC.

“I’m trying, man. Guess I’m a little nervous.”

“Nervous about what?” Lance asked as he and Chris reached the table.

“Man, I’ve been sitting here for the past half hour trying to figure that out myself.” Joey said before taking a swig of beer.

“Where are the women folk?”

“They’re off doing what they do when there’s more than one of them around,” Justin stated. “But they should be back soon.” Chris was satisfied with that answer.

Almost as if on cue, the girls made their way to the group booth with Suni leading the way. “Here comes me sexy mama now.” JC head snapped at Joey’s comment. He saw Niki not too far behind Kelly. The closer she got, the faster his heart beat. She looked just as beautiful as she did the first time he saw her. That angelic glow was still there when she walked up to him.

“Scotty, are you okay?” She asked with such concern. “You don’t look so well.” He looked like he was fighting to breathe.

JC wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her down onto his lap. He leaned in and kissed her softly. He pulled back and put his forehead to hers. “I’m doing much better now that you’re here with me. You look so…so…” he paused before looking at his watch. “Words can’t describe how beautiful you look. And I’m not just talking about tonight either.” Niki knew she was blushing now. She looked over to her best friend whom she forgot was sitting there along with everyone else. “Angel,” She brought her attention back to the man she had been in love with even before she knew him. “I have loved you forever. Yeah, I just said that,” he smiled at her. There was a muffled sound coming from behind JC’s head. Niki looked and saw Lance with his hand over Chris’ mouth.

“Sorry, he thought he’d be background music. Please, carry on.” Everyone laughed.

“Anyway,” JC continued. “Without you my life wouldn’t be worth living.” Niki looked over at Chris to make sure the hand was still in place. “You are my earth, my sun, and my moon. You are the only star in my sky. You are the missing piece of my puzzle. Baby, you complete me.” She felt tears build up in her eyes. She willed them to stay put, but one managed to escape. JC gently wiped the moisture away from her eyes. “Don’t cry.” He then took her hand in his and kissed it. “I’m just getting to the good part.” He smiled at her.

“You mean there’s more?” Joey whispered. Kelly elbowed him. “Umm…oww.” Kelly looked at him. “Okay. Fine, but it’s 11:58p.” JC glanced at his watch once again as did Niki. He then looked back at her and squeezed her hand.

“Until the ocean doesn’t touch the sand, now and forever, I will be your man. Nicole Thomas,” He slipped his free hand into his pocket. “Will you marry me?” Out of his pocket, he pulled the most stunning ring Niki had ever seen. It was a lilac heart-shaped stone surrounded by three smaller stones similar in color on each side all on a white gold band.

“Ohmigod!” Niki stared at the ring, and then at JC. The countdown to the new year could be heard in the background, but no one at the booth was listening. All eyes and ears were on their two friends as they waited for Niki to answer. “Ohmigod!! Yes! Yes, Scotty! I’ll marry you!” She slide the ring onto her left ring finger and kissed it before drawing her near and placing a soft kiss on her lips.

“HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!” was all that Niki heard as she kissed JC back in return. “This was definitely the way to start off the new year. How on earth did he pull this off. That’s not important right now,” she thought.

“OHMIGOD, NIK!” Niki felt someone leaning into her back forcing her even closer to her now fiancé. She felt a smile spread across his face as she let out a soft, painful groan.

“Suni, will you get off of her!” Justin yelled from across the table. “You kill her and you you don’t get to be flower girl.” He laughed. JC broke away from her lips and kissed her forehead.

“You okay, angel?”

“I’ll be able to breathe easier,” she looks to Justin. “If someone gets her off my back.”

“What?!?”

“Get yo’ girl, J. She’s killing us here, man.”

“She’s just happy for you, C” Justin got up from the table in an attempt to detach his girlfriend from the couple. Suni wouldn’t budge. “Come on, baby. Let them go.” He tried again, but no luck. “Umm…a little help her please.”

“Suni, you’re not in the wedding. Not even hostess.” Niki took in as deep a breathe as she could. “Scotty, I can’t breathe,” she whispered leaning into him with closed eyes.

“What?” Concern filled his voice. “Justin, get her off!”

“Can’t…breathe.” Everthing in her world went black as she went completely limp. JC’s eyes went wide as he looked at Justin. Lance, who was watching Niki the whole time, ran around Chris and helped Justin free the smaller woman from her friend’s hold. Joey and Kelly moved around the booth in order for JC to scoot back and lay her down putting her head in his lap. He checked to make sure she was breathing by placing a hand over her nose and mouth. He watched the rise and fall of her chest for more clarification.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story