Author's Chapter Notes:
In honor of the Royal Wedding and the end of HMH's reign as a featured story for April, I give all of you fabulous readers a BIG update. :)

 

The next morning, I was afraid to leave my apartment with Aimee back in town. There was no telling what she’d do, while I was busy at work. After yesterday’s discovery of what kind of condoms JC used, I was just waiting for her to dig up more dirt. She could easily find a job at TMZ with the way she gushed about trivial facts on celebrities. I knew she was an adult and all, but I still worried about what kind of trouble she could get into. Plus, Hollywood could be a harsh place and I didn’t want her to get burned. I’d been burned myself and didn’t want to get burned agian. Hence, the reason I’d had a cautious heart after my breakup with Trevor.

Yet, now I felt I could take a chance on love again, knowing Matthew was one of the few good guys. In such a short time, I’d found wonderful potential with him and was looking forward to the future. I’d always wanted a fairytale and to fall so crazily in love. My fingers were crossed that that fairytale would play out sooner than later. I just wanted my love life back in perfect harmony. I wanted to be deliriously happy. I wanted to be in love. I wanted to be loved in return.

I sighed as I pulled into a parking spot outside of Divine Threads. I’d made it out of my apartment with coffee that Aimee brewed for me. I didn’t leave without giving her a fair warning. She laughed at me and told me to just enjoy my day at work. I still wasn’t sure if the laughter was something to be afraid of and I sensed mischief around the corner. I sipped some more of my coffee, as I dragged myself out of my car. She was out of sight and therefore, I had to keep her out of mind. I had work to do.

I made it to my office and was kindly greeted by Lucy. She informed me that Nathaniel wanted my help on something and needed to talk to me as soon as possible. So the first thing I did, after taking a seat behind my desk, was dial the extension to his office. I waited a moment and after a couple of rings, he picked up.

“Hey, is that you, Ev?” He asked, expecting for it to be me.

“Yeah, it’s me. What’s up?” I asked, curious as to what he wanted my help on.

“I just got in a little bit before you and received a message from a client. She changed her mind on the dress I picked out for her. The woman is psycho and I’m afraid she’ll go across town to another stylist, if I can’t find her an even better dress today.”

“Oh, that sucks, but I’d love to help. I’ve actually got some time right now.” I flipped the sheet with my schedule on it, pleased to see I had some time before one of my own crazy clients came in.

“Perfect. I’ll be in your office in five.”

“Sounds good.” I heard him hang up and then waited for him to appear.

Nathaniel stepped into my office and looked dapper as ever. He had on a Giorgio Armani suit that fit perfectly to his thin frame and enhanced his good looks. He also sported a striped tie that had diagonal lines of blue and silver. I was pretty sure it was Armani, as well.

“You’re looking great today.” I complimented with a smile and he did a model pose for effect.

“You know it. I’m feeling like an Armani whore today.” I chuckled.

“Good for you.” He smiled and pulled a chair out, taking a seat across from me.

“So forget about my client for a bit, let’s talk about Aimee’s return.” I gasped.

“How did you find out that Aimee returned to LA?” He pulled his phone out and showed it to me, as if it were obvious.

“She texted me. She also texted that she found out some real good dirt on someone last night, but wanted me to find out from you what it was.”

I shook my head. Nathaniel and Aimee had started a friendship just before she’d left for New York. I should’ve known they still communicated and would share information with each other. They were very similar when it came to things and I could just see them becoming super buddy buddy with her back in LA.

“Did she also tell you that she showed up unannounced at my apartment. I mean, it’s okay and all because I can handle her, but it was still quite a surprise.”

He nodded his head. “Yeah, she told me. She just likes surprising you, Ev.”

I chuckled. “Believe me. She does.” Nathaniel gave me an impatient look then, just waiting for more gossip. He was dying to know what my sister wanted me to share with him.

“So what’s the dirt she found out? Come on, help a man out.” I wasn’t exactly thrilled to share, but did anyways. I didn’t want to be pestered all day, plus I knew I could trust him, even if he seemed to have a big mouth at times.

I sighed, finally letting the words escape my lips. “Okay, so here goes….Aimee found out that JC uses magnum size condoms. We went on a trip to Rite Aid so she could get some stuff and he just happened to be there at the same time.”

Nathaniel let out a big gasp in surprise. “Holy shit! Hot damn! I wasn’t that expecting that to be the dirt.” He shook his head and then let out a delighted squeal. “But my goodness, that’s quite a thing to discover. I always thought he was blessed down there, but it’s nice to have the confirmation.” I chuckled in amusement, as he continued on.

“I swear there’s nothing imperfect on that man. I wish he could lay me down and do me.” He added and I cringed, not wanting to imagine such a thing. I wasn’t keen on the idea of my gay friend having any sexual fantasies that starred a man I still had lingering feelings for. Even if, I was focused on Matt now, I didn’t want everyone and their mother lusting over JC.

“That’s not happening anytime soon.” I told him and he sighed.

“I know, but luckily I still have Pierre in my court. I can’t count him out just yet.”

“That’s good. It’s nice to know you have someone of interest in your life again.” He smiled and nodded.

“Yeah, it is and I’m happy for you too. Matthew seems to be a really great guy and a real good pick-me up for you.” I grinned.

“Yeah, he is. In fact, I slept over at his place the day before last. It was nice waking up in someone’s arms.” Nathaniel grinned.

“Really? Did you sleep with him in the non-PG way?” I chuckled.

“You’re just like Aimee. No, I didn’t have sex with him. It was just sleeping with some real nice cuddling. We did share some great kisses though.”

“Look at you, girl…getting your mack on with Matthew Morrison. I’m still jealous of the hotness you’re surrounded by.” I laughed.

“I didn’t whore myself out for any of it either. All I did was become a fashion stylist, become friends with a well-known guy , and have said guy set me up with another amazing well-known guy.” Nathaniel shook his head then.

“Damn..why wasn’t I lucky enough to get JC the first time he came here?” I shrugged my shoulders.

“Sometimes things just happen for a reason.” I replayed my own words in my head then and realized just how true they were. Had any other stylist been paired up with JC, I might’ve never made the connection or friendship I had with him now. I also might’ve still been stalking him all over LA just to catch a glimpse of my favorite *NSYNCer. Thankfully, I didn’t have to resort to that.

“Yeah…yeah.” He rolled his eyes. “So do you still have feelings for JC or are you entirely infatuated by Matthew now?”

I took a moment, before I responded. “I’m happy with where things are going with Matt and I want to keep seeing where things could go between us. On the other hand, I do still care deeply for JC, but he has a new girl in his life and seems really happy with her. I’m pretty sure he’s having fun in the bedroom with her too. So I’m just going to let fate take it’s course and what will be, will be. It’s possible I’m not even meant for either of them.”

“That’s a pretty diplomatic answer, but I’ll take it for now.” I laughed.

“What did you expect from me?” He tossed his hands into the air.

“Oh I don’t know…maybe that you’re a hundred percent sure you’re falling for Matt?” I sighed, not really having a response for that. I could tell Nathaniel was looking for a confession out of me, but I didn’t have anything I wanted to confess yet. I was still trying to figure out the feeling in my heart, not wanting them to be conveyed prematurely.

“Well, I’ll just take your lack of response for what it is.” Nathaniel winked at me then, as if he understood what was really going on.

“So…what about your client? Shouldn’t we be looking at some dresses now?” I asked and watched Nathaniel stand up, making his way over to the door.

“Nah, I’m good. I can handle her on my own. I just felt like getting some dirt out of you and you delivered it.” I chuckled and shook my head.

“Jerk!”

“Hey, at least I didn’t sell my soul to TMZ.” I gave him a wave and he waved back, before leaving my office.


A few hours passed by and it was almost lunchtime. I was feeling pretty hungry and realized I’d forgotten my lunch at home. I had made a sandwich and packed some fruit, but was almost positive the brown bag was still sitting out on my kitchen counter. I didn’t feel like wasting half of my lunch break to go back and get it, nor did I want to ask Aimee to come bring it. For all I knew she out and about, familiarizing herself with the city again. Before I could contemplate any longer on my lunch dilemma, my cell phone went off.

I fished it out of my purse and smiled, seeing it was Matthew. “Hello.”

“Hey, Everly.” He greeted me on the other line.

“I’m glad to see you call, Matt. What’s up?”

“Well I just hadn’t heard from you yet and was expecting you to call me already.” I chuckled, remembering I had promised him that he’d hear from me today. Though it was only noon, so the man had to give me a break. Apparently, he just couldn’t wait to talk to me.

“Sorry, I’ve been at work and it’s still early in the day.”

“Yeah....you’re right. I just caught a free moment, while I’m on set and thought I’d check in with you.” I grinned, finding it sweet.

“Well I’m doing good. Works fine, but I forgot my lunch. I might have to get takeout or head down the street for a quick bite.”

“Aww, I’d so come over and steal you for lunch right now, but we’ll be filming again in five minutes.”

“It’s okay. No worries.” He sighed into the phone.

“What if we go out to dinner if I get out of here by the evening?” It sounded like a good idea to me, having enjoyed my dinner dates with Matthew.

“That would be nice.” I could almost sense he was smiling, as he spoke again.

“Awesome and if filming runs over, I’ll just have you come over to my place and we can keep ourselves busy somehow.” I chuckled then.

“That works too. As long as we’re together we’ll have a good time.”

“You know it. So…what happened with your sister? You said she called you a bunch of times.” I found it sweet, hearing the concern in his voice and just touched that he cared to ask.

“Thanks for asking. Actually, she’s back in town and going to stay with me for awhile. She surprised me by just showing up at my apartment.” He let a burst of laughter escape his lips.

“That’s classic. Always nice to have people surprising you out of nowhere like that. Hopefully, I’ll get to meet her soon.” I rolled my eyes, glad that Matt couldn’t see my expression. I wasn’t so sure how a meeting would go over between them. I imagined my sister being well…my sister.

“Yeah, we’ll see about that.” He let out a deep sigh and then I could hear voices in the background.

“Hey, I have to get on set for another scene. I’ll call you when I’m done, alright?”

“Yeah, sure, no problem. Go do your thing. I‘ll talk to you later.”

“Bye, beautiful.” He said sweetly.

“Later, handsome.” I closed my phone then, as our call ended.

It certainly was nice to hear from Matt in the middle of the day and put a nice start to my lunch break. I almost didn’t care I didn’t have my lunch anymore, but of course my stomach growled. I opened the top drawer of my desk and found some takeout menus, figuring I could just place an order and go pick it up in a matter of minutes. I found a menu for Chinese and opened it, skimming over the selections. Orange chicken did sound good and the restaurant was only two blocks away. I could make it work.

Yet, my phone decided to ring again and I was stopped from dialing the number for the Chinese restaurant. Instead, I answered my phone and didn’t even check to see who the caller was.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Ev.” I couldn’t help, but to smile hearing JC’s voice.

“Oh hey, JC. What’s up?” I wasn’t expecting a call from him and really wondered what was up.

“Are you on your lunch break? ‘Cause I was just about to take mine and Megan had to cancel on me for lunch. So, I thought of who else might want to join me and I thought of you.”

“Funny you ask because I was thinking of ordering Chinese food. I forgot my lunch at home. Who’s Megan, by the way?” I had never heard him speak of anyone with that name.

“Oh, well…I was going to go to Baja Fresh. If you want to join me you can, but if you’re happy with Chinese, I’ll leave you be.” He then paused for a moment. “You know how I’ve got a girl in my life right now…she’s Megan.”

“Ahh…I see. Well it’s nice to know her name.” I bit on my lip, unsure if I should accept JC’s lunch invitation. I didn’t know if Megan was one of those jealous types and I didn’t want to be labeled anything. Though I was hungry and I did enjoy JC’s company immensely. “I’ll meet you at Baja Fresh. Mexican actually sounds a lot better right now.”

“Sweet. I was hoping you’d accept. I’ll just come pick you up and we’ll go to the one a few blocks from your work.” I grinned, having no problem hitching a ride in his black Mercedes. That car was slick and sexy, just like the man who drove it.

“Sounds great. How far away are you?”

“Maybe ten minutes or so. That’s not a problem, is it?” I checked my watch.

“Nah, no worries. Even if I get back from lunch late, it’s not a big deal. I have a lax schedule for the afternoon.”

“Awesome. I’ll see you shortly, Everly.”

“See you soon, JC.”

I hung up and couldn’t help, but to feel excited. It had been a long time, minus the recent trip to Mel’s diner, since JC and I had gone out together, just us two. He’d rarely invited me to lunch before either, and the few times he had, someone else was with. So it was nice to feel wanted and like I mattered. Not everyone got a random phone call from JC Chasez asking them out for lunch. I felt lucky and so was my stomach. I wouldn’t have to starve.


A little bit later, after enjoying a cruise in the black Mercedes and listening to some smooth jazz, JC killed the engine of his car as we pulled in front of Baja Fresh. The whole time he’d drove, I tried to keep my eyes off of him, not wanting to be too obvious. I swear he decided to dress like a heartbreaker today. He looked so good that my heart wanted to melt. I was happy to get out of the car, but definitely checked him out again, as we both slid out of the car and began walking to the entrance.

He had on dark denim jeans that looked so casual, yet comfortable. They also hugged him in all the right places and I was pretty sure they were tight in a certain region, but didn’t dare look down there. I’d blush if I did. He also had his favorite pair of black Converse sneakers on, that were just plain cute and old school at the same time. As for his upper half, he sported a gray v-neck t-shirt that really showed his chest off. I could see the definition of his pecs and also a light dusting of chest hair, as the v-neck was cut pretty low. Then there was his pair of aviator sunglasses that made him look all Top Gun-ish and extremely sexy and mysterious. I knew once they were off and I could see his baby blues, my heart would pitter patter.

JC held the door open for me, waiting for me to step in, as he let out a chuckle. “You going to go in? I’m not holding this door just for the sake of holding it.”

I realized I must’ve been looking at him too long again and quickly laughed it off. “Yeah, sorry, I just thought you might like playing doorman.”

He shook his head at me. “Dork.”

I stepped into Baja Fresh and headed over to the line to place my order, with JC following right behind me. I took a look at the menu and it all looked so good.

“What are you going to get?” I asked, turning to look at him and noticing he’d slid his sunglasses off. His blue eyes were now free to be admired. My heart rate began to pick up, just as I suspected it would. This wasn’t good. It wasn’t good at all. He was taken and I was on the verge of being Matt’s girlfriend. Why did JC have to be so damn captivating?

His eyes focused onto mine and he grinned. “I usually get the Burrito Ultimo with chicken. It’s so delicious. It’s got peppers, onions, chilies, cheese, salsa, rice, and sour cream.”

Just hearing him list all the ingredients in it made my mouth water and it really did sound delicious. I figured if he recommended it, I had to try it. “Sounds good to me. I’ll have one of those too.”

“Good choice.” He smiled and grabbed his wallet out of his pocket. Then he stepped in front of me and placed the order, not allowing me to stop him. “I’d like two Burrito Ultimos with chicken and also two soft drinks.”

I watched him hand over money and then accept his change, before grabbing the two paper cups for our drinks. He handed one to me with a smile. “Get whatever you want. The drink machine is right there.” He pointed it out to me and stayed back, waiting for our burritos to be ready.

I filled my cup up with lemonade, always a sucker for it. Plus I thought it would be refreshing with Mexican food. Once I had a lid on my drink and a straw, I found a table for two that was vacant and took a seat. I waited for JC and couldn’t help, but to still admire him from afar. He was just that good looking. It was almost as if his looks needed to be illegal. I felt guilty even thinking about it, but Matt wasn’t officially my boyfriend just yet.

JC found me a couple moments later, after he’d grabbed the tray with our burritos and thrown napkins on it, as well as filled up his own cup with his drink of choice. He smiled, taking a seat across from me and ready to dig into his burrito. He unwrapped it from the foil and then let out a soft moan, just happy to even see food in front of him.

“I’ve been waiting all morning for lunch to get here, just for this.” He admitted and I shook my head, unwrapping my own burrito.

“That’s sad, Chasez. I can’t believe a burrito is the highlight of your day.” He chuckled then.

“Well it’s not really…I was just hungry and had a craving for Baja Fresh.” He took a huge bite and swallowed it down, happily. “Mmm..so good. But…really, I’m glad you could join me. It makes this even better.”

I swallowed a bite of my own burrito, finding it equally satisfying. He was right. This burrito was delicious and sure beat the bagged lunch I would’ve had, had I remembered it. “That’s sweet of you to say and thanks for inviting me. This food is so delicious.”

“Told you.” He grinned. “..And your welcome. I just sort of realized that we haven’t hung out all that much lately and it’s silly because you’re such good company. You’re such a good friend and just positive energy. I’m really glad with you working on ABDC now too, that I’ll get to see you even more.”

I didn’t expect those words to leave his lips, but they did and they went straight to my heart. Hearing a man, who I had admired for so long and was still inspired by, say that I was such a good friend to him and that he enjoyed my company was beyond amazing. Plus I didn’t feel like such a stupid fan. I felt like I mattered and he knew that I wasn’t in his life just to take things or get things out of him. He looked at me like just another friend in his life.

“Thank you…that means a lot, JC.” I grinned, finding my voice. “I feel the same way too. I’m glad you ended up bumping into me again.”

“Nothing, but the truth, honey,” He grinned and swallowed down more of his burrito.

I sipped on my lemonade and then found the courage to ask him about Megan. “So, you and Megan…are you like official?”

He was slow to answer, but did with a smile. “Yeah, we are. I’ve actually been seeing her a good three or four months now."

“Oh really? I expected it to be shorter than that.” He shrugged his shoulders.

“I kept it under wraps pretty good. At least for a little bit, I guess.” I nodded my head.

“Yeah, you did.”

“I can be sneaky like that. Things are going great though and she’s pretty into me. I’m trying to break the whole hook-up habit and make this last long.” I nodded my head again.

“Good, that’s good, JC. I’m glad to hear that.” He then formed a twinkle in is eye, as he seemed to remember something.

“Oh….I saw your sister at Rite Aid! When did Aimee come back to town?” I tried to block out the whole scene of Aimee telling me about JC’s condoms in my head, as I answered.

“She just surprised me yesterday. She broke up with her boyfriend and doesn’t want to be in New York right now. So, she’s staying with me indefinitely.”

He smiled. “Cool. I remember her being a cool girl.”

I chuckled. “Ha. Yeah, sometimes she is. Sometimes she’s a pain in my ass.”

“What younger sibling isn’t? Tyler is in Florida right now and still a pain in my ass.” I laughed, knowing that the Chasez brothers definitely had a dynamic relationship.

“True, true.” He finished off his last bite of his burrito and then washed it down with his drink. I watched him wipe his mouth off with a napkin, as well as his fingers.

“She’s a pretty girl though. I bet she’ll find someone else real soon, especially here in Lala Land.”

I processed his words and hoped that they didn’t mean he actually found my sister attractive. I hoped that he just meant she was pretty enough to find another boyfriend. I knew JC was taken at the moment, but I didn’t need him chasing after my younger sister. Not now…not ever.

“Yeah. Aimee is definitely beautiful.” I mustered up a smile and then I swallowed down the last few bites of my burrito.

“Did she tell you that she saw me at Rite Aid?” I shook my head immediately, not wanting him to know I’d actually been in the store with her. I didn’t want him to suspect anything, so fibbing was easier to do.

“No, she failed to tell me.” He simply nodded.

“Ahh…just wondered. It might be nice to get out again to the club sometime and Aimee could join us, along with any other friends.” I wiped my fingers off with a napkin and I smiled.

“That could be fun. Just don’t let me get attacked next time.” JC gave me a sympathetic smile then.

“It still sucks you practically got whiplash by that punk ass, but…maybe you can bring Matthew and he can be your bodyguard.” I laughed.

“If he’s not busy taping Glee or traveling the world on his tour.”

“Well if he can’t come, then I’ll just have to fill in, I guess.” JC said, always willing to be chivalrous. I wondered if Megan would care that he was so willing to watch over the safety of another girl, let alone take a lunch break with me.

“That works for me, Chasez. I already know you’re a bad ass.” He chuckled and then tossed me a gangsta sign, trying to be street.

“You know it.” I chuckled at him in return and sipped on my lemonade again.

JC licked his lips and bit on his bottom lip, before proceeding with another question. “So…you and Matt, are you two official?” I figured he was asking me because I had inquired about him and Megan.

“Close to it, but not yet. He asked me, but I told him to ask me again.”

“Oh..I see. That’s interesting. I’m sure he’ll ask you in a real nice, smooth way , so you don’t turn him down again.” I shrugged.

“We’ll see…”

“But you’re enjoying your time with him, right?” I nodded.

“Yeah, he’s a real sweetheart. Things are going nicely.”

JC glanced at the watch that he wore on his wrist and sighed. “Time’s almost up.”

“Yeah, I should be getting back too.” I said, looking down at my own watch.

“I’m glad though that Matt seems to be a good match for you.” I heard JC say, as he picked up our empty tray of wrappers and napkins. He then left the table and went to toss our trash away.

I knew that JC thought Matt was a good match for me and I though he was a good match too. I couldn’t deny that we had a good time together and there was some chemistry. Yet, having lunch right now with JC, made me question how good of a match Matthew was for me. Could he be everything and more and make me forget that I had been in love with JC for years? Maybe I hadn’t technically been in love with JC for years, but the longer I knew him in real life, the more my love felt real.

Fuck.

Shit.

Stupid, silly heart.

And I told myself that I could push my feelings aside and focus on Matthew.

Worst of all, JC was taken.


Once JC returned to the table, he reached for my hand and helped me stand up. I blocked out any tingles I’d felt, by the touch of his hand. I couldn’t focus on them right now. I just couldn’t. He led the way outside of the restaurant and I walked back to his Mercedes with him. He opened the passenger door for me like a real gentleman and then hopped into the driver’s side. I buckled up and then rested my head against the window, deciding to stare into space. I didn’t feel like drooling over JC again. My heart had already pitter pattered and I didn’t need for him to keep making it race. Once again, JC put on some smooth jazz and he hummed along to the instrumental melodies. I was appreciative of the lack of conversation, not wanting to say much anymore.

Once, JC pulled up to Divine Threads, he turned to me and turned the music off. His blue eyes were vibrant and looked even bluer, if that was possible. He had a huge smile plastered on his face, as well. “Well thank you so much for joining me for lunch. I had a great time.”

I nodded my head, unbuckling my seat belt and looking at him. I couldn’t help, but to give in and really look at him. My eyes seemed to travel from his eyes, down to the v-neck of his shirt. It was hard to not want to reach out and rub my hand over the exposed part of his chest. Yet, I’d be crossing the line if I did and my fingers would probably burn. Literally.

“Everly?” I heard him say my name and I realized I’d done it again. I had to stop looking at him and do more talking.

“Hmmm?”

“Aren’t you suppose to say you had a great time too? Maybe thank me for lunch?” I slowly smiled then and chuckled softly.

“Thank you for treating me to lunch and driving too. I had a great time, JC.”

“Much better.” He smirked and then he leaned in and pressed a kiss to my cheek.

“And your welcome. I’m just happy we’re getting to see more of each other.” I nodded my head.

“Me too. Speaking of……are you still coming in for another outfit soon?” I was amazed I was even able to muster up a question at the moment.

“Oh crap.” He muttered. “That’s right…I forgot to tell you that the event I was going to go to got canceled. So I don’t need another suit right now.”

I nodded. “Ahh…gotcha. No worries.”

“But, you still get to help me look great for ABDC. So you’ll definitely see me at the taping for the first episode, if you don’t see me before then.” He smiled, looking on the bright side of things.

“That’s very true. I do look forward to that.” I grinned. “But, yeah, we both need to get back to work.”

He nodded his head. “Yeah. So get out of my car, Miss Monroe.”

“I am. Chill out, Mr. Chasez.” I smirked, reaching for the door and opening it.

“I’m chill. I’m very chill, honey.” He assured me as he watched me slide out of his car then.

“Thanks again. I’ll talk to you or see you again soon.” I said, taking one last look at him. He was so far off. He was anything, but chill. He was sizzling hot.

“Alrighty, Evers. Take care.” He gave me a small wave and then I slammed the car door shut.

I stepped back over toward the entrance to Divine Threads and watched JC pull away. I certainly had not expected my lunch break to go down like that. I wasn’t sure whether to be thankful or just confused. Either way, I’d enjoyed lunch.



After I got back into my office and took care of a few fittings for some models, I was looking forward to the end of my work day. I wanted to get home and I wanted to see what my sister had been up to. I also hadn’t heard from Matt yet and wondered just how much longer I’d have to wait for his call.

I finished inputting some stuff into the computer and answering some emails, as well as putting away some clothes that needed to be hung back on racks. I tried to assure that everything that needed to be completed today was and time continued to pass by, thankfully. Once I had every last thing taken care of, I checked the time again, seeing that I could leave for the day. Actually, I could leave for the weekend. Hallelujah.

I grabbed my purse and my jacket, making sure I left nothing else behind, and then closed my office door behind me. I saw that Lucy and Nathaniel were both still lingering at the main desk and I quickly waved to them, saying goodnight. I didn’t really feel like telling Nathaniel about my lunch break with JC.

Once I made it down to the parking lot and to my car, I slid right in. I started up the engine and turned on the headlights, as it had gotten pretty dark. I also buckled up and turned on the radio. Though before I could put the car in reverse, to back out of my spot, my phone rang. Luckily, I could hear it over the music on the radio. I quickly grabbed it and saw that it was actually Matt.

“Hey, Matt.” I answered.

“Hi, Everly. Sorry, I’m getting back to you late.” He said, sounding sincerely apologetic.

“It’s quite alright. Don’t worry about it. I just got into my car, ready to head home.”

“Oh well…would you maybe want to just drive to my place?” Matt asked. “I’m on my way home as well and should be there shortly.”

“I don’t know…are you sure you want me to?” I heard Matt chuckle.

“Of course, I do. Plus, I can just heat up some pizza and we can have some beers. I’ve got a six pack in my fridge. We can just keep it simple and you don’t even have to spend the night, if you’re not up to it.” The offer wasn’t that shabby and he did sound like he was looking forward to seeing me.

“Well okay, but do you mind if I quickly go to my apartment first and change?”

“Not at all. Get comfy.” I smiled, glad that I could get into some other clothes.

“Alright, will do. Plus, I need to see what Aimee is up to.” I heard Matt laugh.

“That’s right. Your sister. Hey, why don’t you bring her with? I’d love to meet her.” I wasn’t so sure if that was a good idea.

“Are you serious?”

“Yeah. I mean…she has to be cool if you’re her sister and I’m sure she’d like to meet the man her sister is dating. You have told her about us, haven‘t you?” At his words, I was actually glad I had mentioned Matt to her, or otherwise I’d feel real bad. It sounded like he was really feeling us and wanted, or at least assumed, people close to us would be in the know.

“Oh yeah…she knows. She definitely knows.” I answered, having pulled out of the parking lot and made my way onto the street.

“Cool. Then I’ll expect to see you ladies soon.”

“Yes, you shall.” I said softly, hoping he didn’t hear a sigh escape my lips.

“Great. Can’t wait. See you, Everly.”

“See you soon, Matthew.” I said, before he hung up.

I drove the remainder of the way to my apartment and I knew that my sister was going to be thrilled. There was no doubt in my mind that she’d want to tag along. I was just unsure of what would happen with two Monroe sisters and one Morrison man. I also couldn’t help, but to feel slightly less excited than I should be. I wanted to give Matt a real chance and I knew that we had something between us. I had enjoyed spending the night at his place and sleeping in his arms. I thought he was adorable and genuine and just a list of wonderful traits. I really did see potential for us to be a couple and I had already told myself I’d accept another offer to be his girlfriend. Why was I just having to try so hard to make myself believe it all?


Chapter End Notes:
Thanks to all of those reading and reviewing! All comments have been appreciated. Hope to keep the updates coming!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc producerjc