The next morning, I found myself at my desk, flipping through a fashion magazine. I didn’t have a client coming in for another hour and I had already pulled a bunch of dresses that I thought were appropriate. As I eyed a photo of killer heels that looked like a pair I would splurge money for, the phone beside my computer rang. I picked it up and turned my professional charm on.

“Thank you for calling Divine Threads PR. This is Everly Monroe, fashion stylist. How may I help you today?” I heard a familiar voice a second later.

“Look at you sounding all professional and stuff. I was just calling to see if you were going to go to pilates tonight? I missed last week and I thought I’d go this week, if you’re going.” I hadn’t really thought about it, but if I was going to have a workout friend, then it sounded like a good idea.

“Hey, Lila. Actually, I think I will go. Lord knows I’ve had a lot of Starbucks lately and I could burn some extra calories.” She laughed.

“Same here, girlfriend. I think I’ve gained like five pounds from eating all the delicious food my mom made while I was visiting.”

“Oh please, you did not.” I shook my head, even though she couldn’t see me. Lila had a dancer’s body and I never found her to look anything, but beautiful.

“Well maybe not…but close to it. Oh, I heard from JC that he saw you yesterday and that Nathaniel was with you. I’m sure that went over well.” I chuckled.

“He had his moments. He pegged JC as being gay and then when he found out that I knew him and all that jazz, his inner fanboy came out. He managed to get himself invited to Voyeur.” Lila laughed.

“Yeah, I heard you two got invited out to Voyeur on Saturday. Which is great because I’m going to go too and it’ll be a lot of fun. I just hope you can keep a leash on Nathaniel.” She did have a good point. I didn’t want my friend to do or say anything that would embarrass himself or me, for that matter.

“Yes, I’ll go buy him a pink leash.” I joked and then I put my hand over the mouse of my computer. The screensaver turned off and then I clicked on an icon to connect to my email. I typed in my necessary login information, as I balanced the phone between my shoulder and ear.

“Better make sure he has a collar with diamonds too.” I chuckled as Lila joked in return. I noticed I had a couple new emails and one of them was from JC, in fact. I clicked on it and watched as it opened. My eyes scanned over it and I smiled.

“JC sent me an email asking me to squeeze him on Friday. He needs something to wear to that Elton John Oscar party he always attends.”

“Well I hope you can help him out. He gets a little challenged in the fashion department sometimes.” I chuckled.

“I don’t know if the word is challenged, maybe just special.” I heard Lila’s laughter then and I heard a bark in the background. It had to be her little dog, Peanut. He was a small, furry thing that she adored as much as a human. He was practically her baby.

“I hear Peanut barking.”

“Yeah, I just looked and he’s by the door. I think he needs to go outside. I should probably let you go and take care of him. I’ll see you tonight at 7 o’clock for pilates, right?” I reassured her.

“Definitely. I’ll see you then.”

I hung up the phone then and I replied to JC’s email. I let him know that I could squeeze him in on Friday and that an afternoon appointment would have to work. I was booked all that morning. I hoped he’d respond back soon and give me the best time for him. I checked my other new emails and then logged out.

I was excited to dress JC again and I already knew I wanted him to look dashing. Not that it was a hard thing for him to pull off. I imagined something well-fitted to his body and classic, but with a little “it” factor. I was about to flip through the magazine I had again for any inspiration, when I heard someone walk in.

I looked up and smiled, seeing Nathaniel. He had two coffees in hand and held one out to me. “Something to just give you a buzz before your client gets here.”

“Thanks.” I graciously accepted the coffee from him and smiled, before taking a sip. Pilates was definitely a good idea now and I was glad Lila was meeting me tonight.

“So I just finished the final fitting for Vanessa Ann Hudgens. She has the LA premiere of Beastly to attend. Well let me say we spent way more time talking about her co-star Alexander Pettyfer, than we did about her actual dress. What is with beautiful straight girls, getting all the luck?”

I laughed and then shrugged my shoulders. “You really need someone, don’t you? Every time you finish an assignment you come back talking about hot boys.” He tossed me a look.

“Well you need someone too. Just because you had your heart stepped on by Trevor, doesn’t mean you should give up on the dating scene.” I gasped softly, not expecting for him to say those words and turn my own words against me. I really didn’t want to think about being single or Trevor at the moment either.

“Okay, so we’re both single, let’s just not talk about it. We can mingle on Saturday and who knows, maybe some hot gay guy will be at Voyeur.” Nathaniel smiled slightly.

“Well, if JC brings Lance, then that’ll certainly work for me.” I chuckled.

“Uhh…we’ll see about that, buddy.” I looked at the time and then realized that my client would be in at any moment.

“I’ve got get back to work, but thanks again for the coffee.”

Nathaniel nodded and gave a small wave, before heading down the hall.


All through my appointment with my client, I kept thinking about Trevor. The words that Nathaniel spoke had stuck with me. It had been almost three years already and I did need to move on. Yet, it was hard and things were complicated. I had practically become engaged to Trevor, only to find out that he’d been two-timing me and seeing another stylist across town. He’d dated the both of us for a good year of overlap time and was still seeing her when I heard rumors that he’d purchased an engagement ring for me.

When all the truth came out, I didn’t even give him a chance to fix things. I made sure it was all over before he could attempt to propose. I didn’t want someone who didn’t even have the decency to break up with me first, so he could see the other girl in the first place. I didn’t want someone who was looking to take over the entire PR firm his new girlfriend worked at, just because his daddy’s trust fund money was running out. Trevor turned out to be a mirage. He acted like he was smart enough for law school and could provide me with a wonderful life, but he was just after money, publicity, and anything to keep him looking like a good guy. I swear every time he told me he loved me must’ve been a lie. Looking back on it, I feel as if our whole relationship was some sort of hoax.

All I know is that Trevor and the tramp moved in together, which I found out by a mutual friend. It stung when I found out, even as much as I didn’t want it to. I know I’m better off without him and that he wasn’t my one true love, but it just doesn’t help your self-esteem when you’re played for a fool. My heart broke when things ended with Trevor and there’s still some cracks that need major mending.

I shook my head, finding myself in a far away land, as I realized my client was asking for an opinion on the dress she had on. I took a look at her in the mirror and I gave her a thumbs up. I smiled, noticing just how wonderful the black, satin dress looked upon her. The way the skirt landed upon her legs was perfect and it was elegant, without being on the dull side. She wouldn’t make be making any worst dressed list.

She smiled, happy with the dress as well and then changed out of it. I took the dress from her and then slid it back on a hanger and into one of the black wardrobe bags to protect it. I handed it back to her and thanked her for choosing to work with me. She nodded and then handed me over a check , as she took the dress from me.

I watched her go off on her way then and sighed softly. If only finding a man was as easy as finding a client a dress. I knew that black, satin dress was going to make that girl feel wonderful for the night she was wearing it. I just hoped to feel that same wonderful feeling from a man.



It was just before 7 o’clock and I was all geared up for pilates. Lila and I went to the same gym, since we didn’t live that far from one another. We had actually met for the first time at the gym a couple years ago and then it was a pleasant coincidence that she happened to be a friend of JC’s. The great thing is that Lila and I hit off and I had already styled JC once, before we made the connection. I was just pleased that neither of them saw me as the usual hanger-on who just wanted to hang with people because of who they were or who they were associated
with.

I was dressed in some black, nylon shorts and a purple tank top, paired with white track shoes. I had my exercise mat rolled out on the floor as well and watched as more class participants strolled through the door. When I spotted Lila, I smiled and called her name. She waved at me and quickly made her way over.

“Hey, Everly. You got here earlier than me. Sorry, Peanut was being a brat and playing with my shoelaces.” She pointed at the shoelaces on her shoes that looked like they’d been chewed on recently.

I chuckled and shook my head. “No problem.”

Lila set her mat down as well and she took a seat beside me, as we waited for the class instructor to set the sound system up.

“Sometimes I think we’d be better off if I taught this class. Her voice can get a little annoying when it’s amplified by a microphone and speaker.” I tried to not laugh, but Lila was right. The girl who taught Wednesday night pilates had a special voice and sometimes it got on our nerves. Though the workout was great and forced us to work our asses off.

“Yeah, we probably would be. So how are things going with you and Marco?” I asked, knowing that she seemed to be having an amazing romance so far with her boyfriend.


She grinned. “Pretty fabulous. My family loves him and I love him. He can be so sweet and he knows how to cook too. Plus he puts up with Peanut. So far he’s a winner.”

Hearing her say all that, made me jealous. I wanted to be able to gush about someone again and to be apart of a real relationship again. I just knew it was going to take time, patience, and the right guy. Plus I was going to have to make sure he wouldn’t break my heart.

“That’s awesome.” I mustered up a smile and then noticed that our class instructor was all set to begin class. Everyone stood up then and we started some basic warm ups to loosen our muscles.

When we were able to settle back down on our mats and lay on our backs as we did crunches and legs exercises, Lila and I managed to start up conversation again. As I was kicking my legs in the air, I turned my head to look at her. She did the same and our eyes met. We chuckled softly at one another.

“Is Nathaniel still single?” Lila asked, keeping her legs moving as well.

“Yeah, but he’s getting antsy. All he does nowadays is talk about how hot every client’s co-star, boyfriend, fiancé, or husband is. I know he just needs someone.”

“Everybody needs someone. I don’t blame the guy. Before Marco, I was lonely and not sure about love anymore.” Her words held truth.

I still felt lonely sometimes and not sure about love, but I did want someone in my life. I was hoping that all the pain would get erased by a new found love that wouldn’t play with my heart.

“You’re right, Lila. He just wants to love and be loved. I think we all do” I then chuckled softly. “Doesn’t mean I need to hear about what a fine ass Ricky Martin has or how much Nathaniel would love to be the one having babies with Neil Patrick Harris instead.”

I got a good snort out of Lila at that and then our class instructor gave us a warning. We managed to erupt into a fit of giggles and she tossed us a dirty look. Who ever said gossip and pilates couldn’t go together?

We finished the rest of class and by the end, my wrists were sore from doing stupid planks. It was always a relief when time had ticked by and the torture was over. I rolled my mat up and then quickly rubbed any perspiration off of my arms and face with a towel. I watched Lila prepare to leave as well and she smiled at me as she held her mat under her arm.

“You know what I’m thinking, Everly?” I shook my head at her, sliding my own mat under my arm to carry it.

“I think you need someone just as fabulous as Marco. I should set you up on a date or something. Marco has some decent friends or you might even bump into a cutie at Voyeur.”

“I don’t know.” I sighed. “I appreciate your concern, but I think I need to figure out my love life on my own.”

She put her hand to my shoulder and gave it a gentle pat. “Oh come on…I know Trevor messed you up good, but I want you happy. There’s good guys out there. Wherever there is.”

I laughed at her attempt to cheer me up and then smiled. I knew that good guys existed. All my female cousins were married, minus the two youngest ones, and some of my other female friends were having luck in the love department as well.

I just hoped my luck would change soon and maybe the one good guy I could think of, off the top of my head, would come into the equation. Just like Nathaniel, a girl could only dream.

“I’ll be happy…someday.” I assured her. “Pilates was fun tonight. I look forward to seeing you at Voyeur on Saturday.”

She nodded her head. “It definitely was and now I can go home and eat another brownie, since I burned it off already.” I laughed.

“But yeah, I told JC that you and I could just meet him and the rest of the posse at the club just before midnight. He was proud of me for suggesting you and I carpool and help the planet.”

I laughed. “He thinks he’s Captain Planet or whatever, but I’m sure he’s using up a lot of electricity with all the technology at his house.”

It was then Lila’s turn to laugh. “You’re right. He’s a dork and he can’t help it.”

I knew that JC had quirks and his dorky moments, but that didn’t bother me at all. Every time I was around him he amused me and sometimes he did provide words of wisdom. He could be a dork all day and I’d still find him attractive as hell.

I then walked out of the gym with Lila and we said our goodbyes and goodnights. She promised to pick me up on Saturday and I told her I’d see her then. I got into my car and then settled into my seat. I revved the engine up and watched as Lila pulled out of the parking lot first. She gave me a wave and I quickly waved back. Then I gripped the steering wheel and sighed, backing out of my parking spot.

She was going home to Peanut and mostly likely Marco was going to spend the night with her. I was going home to no pet and no man. Right now all I really wanted was for Friday to come. At least then I could pretend JC was all mine, while I dressed him.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc producerjc