Author's Chapter Notes:
It's a big update...enjoy!

 

Friday morning I stepped into Divine Threads, eager to make the morning go by and hopeful that I’d get out on time to meet JC and Matthew at the studio at 3 o’clock. I had gotten a call last night from Randy Jackson, telling me he’d be in just before noon to discuss the wardrobe stylist position for ABDC with me. I made sure I had my updated resume and dressed my very best, wanting to impress the man when he came in. I didn’t know what my chances were of getting the position, but I knew I was qualified and could make it work around my other obligations.

Lucy had a cup of coffee waiting for me with a cream and sugar, upon my desk. She also had my to do-list sitting out for me and had penciled in Randy for me. I sighed as I sat down in my chair and booted up my computer, as I reached for the coffee. I brought it to my lips and a soft moan escaped them as I savored the taste. Caffeine could really wake a girl up. Lord knew it was going to be a busy and possibly nerve-wrecking day.

I checked my emails after my computer fully loaded and I logged in. Nothing really jumped out at me, nor needed my attention, so I exited out of my inbox. I opened up Microsoft Excel and found some spreadsheets I needed, that included brands and sizes of clothing we had on hand in our inventory. I wanted to be up to date and aware of the new clothing that was coming in. I liked being able to make fresh picks and introduce clients to new looks and trends. Fashion and music were so alike, in the way that they both evolve and were constantly looking for the next big hit. Which is why I loved it and also why I’ve always felt connected to JC. It’s that same creative process of piecing things together to make something beautiful and expressive. The need to unleash creativity and passion with such drive and enthusiasm. There’s nothing like enjoying your craft and connecting with people through it. Except…for love.

Love was it’s very own form of bliss that just couldn’t be compared, nor accurately described. It was just a feeling in the heart that was so over-powering that it sometimes made you do crazy things. Love had no rhyme or reason sometimes and heartbreak was always a possibility. I had learned all about heartbreak from Trevor and I promised myself I wouldn’t be stupid and naïve again. I wouldn’t end up broken-hearted again. All I really wanted was to love again and to be loved. Even if I was scared and uncertain, I had to get over my hump and trust that there was someone out there for me. I jut hoped that this someone could be JC.

I stopped looking over the spreadsheets and drank more of my coffee, before Lucy sent in my first client and I quickly found myself in the showroom giving Miss California a colorful array of dress selections.

After I had gotten Miss California in the perfect silver Marciano dress with rouging and an elegant one-shoulder, which ended up not being such a hard task, as the girl had a good idea of what she wanted from the get go for the Miss USA competition, I found myself trying to please my next client. A woman who was married to a doctor and needed a black gown for a gala her husband’s hospital was putting on. I could tell she was in to brands and price tags, having no problem flaunting the best of the best. She tried on almost every black gown I had and with my honest opinion, settled on a Vera Wang that was sophisticated and classy. I wouldn’t allow the woman to show up at the hospital gala in a dress that was made for someone half her age. I patted myself on the back at getting the woman to take my advice.

Morning seemed to go by even quicker as I found two perfect outfits for two more clients. Soon it turned into noon and I had to catch my breath. Realizing, that Randy hadn’t come yet and he should’ve arrived fifteen minutes ago, give or take, I walked up to the front desk to see if Lucy had heard anything. She said she hadn’t received any call from Mr. Jackson and that she’d let me know if he did indeed appear. So I went back to my office to enjoy my brown bagged lunch, not wanting to waste my precious minutes. I took a green apple out of the bag and began chewing away at it. I also took out a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a bottled water. As I continued enjoying my apple, I noticed my next client was due at 1:30 and it gave me a little more breathing room, in case Randy did show up and needed to take some of my time. I opened my bottled water and drank some sips of it, as well as pulled my sandwich out of the little baggy it was in. As I took my first bite and tasted the smooth peanut butter, I heard the phone on my desk ring. I picked it up, quickly swallowing down my bite of sandwich and clearing my throat. I answered and heard Lucy on the other line. She informed me that Randy had shown up and that she’d send him into my office. I quickly set my lunch aside and wiped my mouth with a napkin. Then I stood up from my chair, just in time to see Randy appear. I put my hand out, as he put his own out, and we shook hands. It was a nice, firm handshake.

“Hello, sorry I’m late. I had an interview for Idol run over and then traffic got congested.” I let go of his hand and then waved off his excuse. It was a typical thing in LA.

“Oh, it’s not a problem. I actually have plenty of time before my next appointment. It’s nice to meet you, Mr. Jackson.” He smiled at me.

“Nice to meet you too, Miss Monroe.” I smiled.

“Call me, Everly. If I end up being hired, I’d feel better on a first name basis.” He nodded his head and then looked around my office, before taking a seat.

“Sure thing. So, I’m here today because JC told me you’re a mad stylist. You’ve got some great fashion sense.” I chuckled softly and took a seat back in my own chair.

“Something like that. I just love fashion and have a good eye, I guess.” He nodded his head again.

“And you’ve obviously done well if you’re here and a stylist at a PR firm. To have JC recommend you is a major honor too. He’s such a good looking dawg. Always looking good for the cameras. I take his opinion seriously and so that’s why I really wanted to check you out.” I handed him my resume then, not wanting to be judged solely on the reference of my friend.

“Here’s my resume. Please do look it over and take it into consideration. I graduated from fashion school and also had internships before I got to Divine Threads. I wouldn’t want you to choose me just because I’m friends with JC. Please choose me on my own merit.” He took the piece of paper from me and smiled, skimming it over.

“It’s very refreshing to hear you say that, Everly. I admire someone who wants to get ahead on their own talent and work and not just who they know in the biz.” I never wanted to ride someone’s coattails and wanted a career on my own terms.

“Thank you.” I smiled. “You have any questions for me?”

“Just a few.” He looked at me directly in the eye. “Do you enjoy dancing? Do you enjoy meeting diverse people?”

I nodded my head. “I respect dancing as an art form very much and am entertained by it as much as anyone else. I also enjoy meeting new people and I have no problem at all with diversity. It’s what makes the world fascinating.”

“Do you think you have it in you to make all the dance crews look super fly?” Once again I nodded my head.

“I know I have it in me. I take inspiration from all over and I turn it into outfits that work for my clients and cater to their individuality. I would readily accept the challenge, Mr. Jackson.”

He gave me a smile and then posed another question. “What’s one accessory that you wouldn’t use on any of the judges or crews?”

I wasn’t expecting that question, but I figured it was just for fun. Though I did give an honest response. “I think I’d ban the bowties from ABDC. They can be a little cheesy and you know JC caught a lot of flack over wearing one before. It’s not the most street thing either and most of your crews have hip hop roots.”

He laughed at my answer, but I knew he appreciated it. He looked at my resume again and then looked at his watch.

“I actually need to get going already, but one more question, Everly.”

“Sure…what is it?”

“Do you have any aspirations besides just being a wardrobe stylist?”

“In fact I do. I love styling outfits, but ultimately, I’d love to create my own collection and style people in my own designs. I’d like to be a designer and have my point of view heard. I just haven’t gotten that opportunity yet.” He nodded at my reply and then he stood up. He put his hand out again and I reached for it. Once again we shared a firm handshake and I smiled.

“No matter what you decide, thanks for even considering me, Mr. Jackson. It’s been an honor.” He tossed me a wink.

“The honor was mine, Everly. You seem like a real nice girl and got a good head on your shoulders. I’ll be in contact with you soon, when the decision is final.”

“Sounds good and thank you once again.” He then gave me a peace sign and exited my office. I shook my head then, amused that I’d just met Randy Jackson and not quite believing I even had such an opportunity in front of me. I just hoped I got it, even though I wasn’t banking on it. I wanted to be able to be on set each week and have an excuse to see JC, while making everyone on the show look good at the same time. It would be a win-win situation for me. My lucky stars would have to be counted.


When 2:30 rolled around, I had finished with my last appointment and decided to quickly change into another outfit for the studio. I didn’t want to show up in my business attire. I changed into a sundress that fell a little past my knees and was bright citrus in color. It had some ruffles on the skirt and the straps were spaghetti. It was fun and flirty and just right for the warm weather. Plus, I didn’t think Matt would have a problem with it. I assumed a casual restaurant was in the cards for tonight. I paired the dress with some brown sandals and then bagged up my other clothes. I checked myself out in a mirror as well and made sure my makeup was still on and looking perfect. Pleased with my appearance and ready to get out of Divine Threads, I made sure Lucy was alright, and then I left for the day.

I made it to my car and settled my extra clothes into my back seat and then hopped into the driver's seat. Once I buckled up and started the engine, I was off to the studio to finally meet Matthew Morrison. I was slightly nervous and didn’t know what to expect, but I also knew JC was good at breaking the ice and if he sensed things were awkward, he’d butt in. I took some deep breaths as I drove the distance and was happy when I arrived in the parking lot of the studio five minutes to 3.

I spotted JC’s car and another car beside his, that I guessed belonged to Matt. At least I knew the man wasn’t missing in action again. I climbed out of my car, slung my purse over my shoulder, and then stepped through the entrance of the building. I made it down the hall to studio 3 and then peeked inside. I saw JC first and then caught sight of Matt sitting beside him. I smiled and then opened the door.

“Hey guys.” I announced my presence and was met with two smiles.

“Everly. Hey, honey.” JC spoke first and then Matt followed.

“Hi. You must be Everly. It’s nice to finally meet you.” I smiled wider.

“Likewise. I absolutely adore Glee. It’s a wonderful show.” He stood up then and he reached for my hand. Then he held it in his own and dropped the smallest kiss upon it.

I blushed and shook my head. “A gentleman, eh? That’s always a plus.” JC’s laughter filled the room then.

“Morrison’s just trying to be smooth. We’ll see if he actually has game and wins you over. I doubt it though.”

“Hey!” Matt cried out. “Watch it, Chasez.”

“You know I only kid.”

I knew that JC was just kidding around, which was part of his charm. He could be a jokester and was known to say very humorous things. He made me laugh a lot and he was very witty. Even though he was serious at times, he didn’t take himself too seriously all the time.

“Just ignore him, Matt.” I said with a chuckle and then found a spot to sit down.

JC tossed me a pout and I just rolled my eyes at him. I felt Matt’s eyes on me then and I knew it had to be the sundress. I wasn’t exactly a Victoria’s Secret model.

“You look really pretty in that color.” Matt complimented and I smiled.

“Thanks. I don’t mind experimenting with bold colors. Everyone needs a little color in their wardrobe.”

“Speaking of wardrobe…” JC spoke up. “Have you heard from Randy?”

I nodded my head. “In fact he showed up at Divine Threads today and looked over my resume. He also asked me a few questions. It went pretty well. He said he’d call me when the decision was made.”

JC smiled. “Sweet. Well I’m really rooting for you. It would be awesome to bring you into the ABDC family.”

“I know and thank you. I wouldn’t even have gotten the opportunity without you.” He just waved it off, as if he did nothing.

“Not like I walked on water or anything.”

I looked at JC and noticed he was once again looking casual for a studio session. He had on a green t-shirt and some black skinny jeans. His feet were covered in his black Converse shoes. His hair was neat and his dark scruff was apparent upon his jaw line and cheeks. He looked delicious and I felt almost guilty then admiring him, while Matt was sitting beside him. I had a date with Matt, after all.

I looked at Matt then and he had on a blue button-down shirt and a black tie, as well as blue jeans. His shoes were dressy and black and laced up. He had a clean-shaven face and his hair looked like it had some kind of product in it.

Both guys were good looking and dressed well. They both had brown hair and dreamy blue eyes. They both were musicians and had their own amazing musical gifts. There were so many similarities between them. It was a little uncanny, yet I knew deep down only one of them could hold my heart forever. I just hoped that man would be willing. I just hoped I wouldn’t be completely rejected.

“You okay?” I heard Matthew ask and I quickly nodded.

“Uh..yeah..sorry. I spaced out for a second.” Both men chuckled then and I was relieved neither of them caught onto the fact I had been checking them out.

“It’s okay. So you want to hear the song we’ve been working on?” JC asked, playing around with some buttons on the soundboard then.

“Of course I do.”

“I hope you love it.” Matt said and I knew that I probably would. Between JC helping to write and produce it and Matt singing it, it had to have brilliance written all over it.

JC cued the music up and then the speakers came to life with the music flowing out of them. The beat of the music captured my attention first, it sounding very JC-esque and then the vocals from Matt came in and they were smooth. The song was catchy as it progressed to the chorus and it really was refreshing. It really did make me want to dance in the rain, let loose, and have fun. There was something sophisticated, yet slightly sexy about the song and I knew it was a winner.

“It sounds great, guys.” I smiled widely, clapping my hands as well. The fan in me was more than pleased and I knew I’d be purchasing Matthew’s album once it came out. “I really enjoyed it.”

Matt and JC both smiled then, happy to see they won me over and that the song appeared to be a success.

“Thanks, Ev.” JC piped up. “Glad you liked it.”

“Yes, thank you.” Matt said, beaming from my kind words.

“Just saying the truth.” I insisted and then JC decided to replay the song, allowing me to hear it again. I didn’t mind at all.

After the song finished playing the second time, JC excused himself for a moment and left me in the studio alone with Matt. I swallowed hard, not sure what to say then, feeling Matt’s eyes on me and I shyly smiled at him then.

“So…from what I’ve heard, you’re a fashion stylist? That’s pretty cool.” I nodded my head.

“Yeah, that’s true. I’m one of the lead stylists for Divine Threads Fashion PR. That’s how I met JC. He came in one day a few years ago and I was assigned to him. It’s a great job.”

“I see…well that’s neat. JC’s a great guy and I’m glad he met you, so he could introduce me to you.” I tried to not blush then and simply nodded.

“I’m glad he could introduce us to each other. It’s good to have a mutual friend.” Matt nodded his head.

“I’ve been single for awhile and it’s so hard to trust girls now without worrying they just want Mr. Shue and not me. You know?”

I nodded. “Yeah, I know JC has dealt with that too. Once someone’s famous, doubt comes into play. Yet, someone will genuinely care for you and want to love you for you. It won’t be about who you play on TV or how much money you make.”

He smiled then. “Thanks. I can only hope so.”

“So, where are we going on our date?” I was hoping he wouldn’t tell me that my sundress was inappropriate.

“I thought we could go to Ketchup. You’ve been there before?”

“On Sunset Blvd.?” He nodded.

“Yeah, I’ve been there a couple times. The food is good and the atmosphere has a cool vibe.”

“I agree and it would be a nice place to get to know each other.” I smiled.

“Sounds good to me.” Matthew then stood up and grabbed small case off of the floor. He opened it up and he pulled out a ukulele. I knew that it was his signature instrument and one that he loved to play. It was a known fact to any fan.

“Mind if I play you “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” ?” I shook my head, grinning like a fool then.

“Not at all.” Matt began plucking away at the strings of the small instrument and the intro was so melodious.

His voice then came in and the lyrics left his mouth effortlessly and with such feeling. He had a very similar zest and passion for music as JC and it was so nice to have a private performance of the song that had landed Matthew his role on Glee.

“Oh why, oh why, can’t I?” Matthew sang with a perfect finish, as the studio door opened and JC slipped back inside.

I glanced at JC, as Matthew played the remaining chords of the song’s end and saw a smirk upon his lips. I knew a smart ass comment was coming.

“Already trying to win over the lady with a serenade, huh?” JC asked and Matt then laughed as his fingers stopped plucking the strings of his ukulele.

“It’s part of my game.”

“Well you might have to step it up. Only so many times can you take her somewhere over the rainbow.” I chuckled then.

“Don’t you worry about where he is or isn’t taking me.” JC shook his head and looked at Matt.

“So where are you taking her tonight, man?”

“Grabbing dinner at Ketchup and then maybe some coffee afterwards.” JC nodded.

“Cool. Just don’t keep her out too late.”

“You’re not my dad.” I smirked.

“I was just kidding.” He glanced at me and then at Matt. “Keep her out as long as you want. Show my girl a good time.”

Matthew nodded his head and he grabbed the case for his ukulele, putting the instrument back inside. “I will. I will. Don’t you worry, JC.”

“Good, well you two have a wonderful date.” JC then reached for his messenger bag and slid a notebook and a couple other items into it.

“So then you’re both done here?” I asked, not realizing that we’d get out of the studio that soon. I thought they’d still have more to work on.

“Yeah, we are.” Matt answered. “We’ve just got a little more tweaking to do on “Dancing in the Rain”, but it can be finished next week.”

“That’s right…next week.” JC said as he began making sure all of the equipment was turned off and that the studio was in good shape to leave.

I stood up and looked at Matt. “So am I meeting you at Ketchup or am I leaving my car here?”

“Normally, I’d be a kind gentleman and drive us both to the restaurant, but maybe you could meet me at Ketchup. I just don’t know want you to feel trapped or awkward since it is out first date.”

“In other words, if he’s being a jerk and the date sucks, you have a getaway car.” JC smirked.

I shook my head. “I think things will be just fine, but I’ll still take my own car. It’ll just make things easier so no one has to backtrack.”

Matt tossed JC a look and then glanced at me. “Thanks, Everly. You’re already a good sport.”

I smiled and then JC stepped over to me and he pulled me into a hug. “Well I guess I’ll see you later, Ev. Have a good time tonight.”

I gave him a gentle squeeze in return and then watched a he pulled back and gave Matthew a salute with his hand. Then JC was out the door.

I sighed softly then, excited to see what was in store on my date with Matt, but also wishing that I hadn’t just watched JC walk away.



A little while later, Matthew and I were seated in a booth at Ketchup, after having to wait for a vacant, clean table. The restaurant was popular and it was a Friday after all. There wasn’t much distance between me and Matthew, as we sat upon the plush cushioning of the booth. I could practically feel his body heat and I could catch a whiff of his cologne as well. I hadn’t noticed it while we were in the studio, but I definitely noticed it now.

Mathew looked up, as he closed his menu, and smiled at me. “I think I’m ready to order. How about you?”

I nodded my head, having found my selection. “I’m ready too. I hope the waitress returns soon.”

He nodded his head and then reached for the water that a busboy had already brought us. He took a few sips and then cleared his throat.

“So…I know you’re a fashion stylist, you’re beautiful, and you enjoy my show. What else should I know?” I shrugged my shoulders.

“What do you want to know?”

“Anything…everything.” I figured I’d just tell him what I wanted to.

“Well….I have one younger sister. My mom and dad are both still happily married . My whole family is hoping I’ll meet someone soon and that I won’t be an old maid. I enjoy writing, music, and watching TV when I have the time. I also enjoy walking along the beach and window shopping along Sunset, as well as Rodeo. I’m definitely dedicated to my work and hope to make an advancement soon. I’d like to get my own clothing line.” He nodded, listening to my miscellaneous facts.

“I’m on the quiet side, but once you get to know me I can be pretty outgoing and carefree. I like to laugh and crack jokes, but I can be very serious as well. I’m just good at adjusting to different situations, I guess. Plus, I love food even if I don’t look like I’m packing the pounds. I drink a lot of coffee and love coffee shops. I just like to hang out with friends and enjoy life. I’m not a gold digger either and I genuinely care to know people for who they truly are. I’m not fake, nor a Hollywood whore.”

Matthew laughed and then he genuinely smiled. “That’s all good to know. I’m glad I’m not sitting with a girl who’s ready to steal my wallet and molest me just because I’m the Matthew Morrison.

“I don’t molest on a first date. That’s the third or fourth.” I teased and then he laughed again.

The waitress came by then and asked for our orders and once she had them written down, she left us alone once more. A few moments later we were brought two glasses of wine, since Matthew had insisted he was paying for it and that every first date should start off with a good toast. So I reached for my wineglass, as he did the same. Then he brought his glass to mine and smiled.

“Okay…so a toast to a great first date and possibly a budding friendship and romance. To good food, good wine, and a good time.” I nodded and clinked my glass against his and then we both took a sip of our wine.

At the mention of the word ‘romance’ in his toast, my heart fluttered, even at the possibility. It made me nervous and scared, yet hopeful. Just maybe I’d get back into the dating groove and find a romance that would last me a lifetime.

We continued to drink our wine, as Matthew then told me a little bit about himself and how his career had come to be. He also told me about his album and how excited he was for the opportunity. He was so thankful and felt so blessed for everything, that I knew he was genuine guy. He didn’t radiate anything, but a pure aura. He spoke so honest and with passion, that I knew he was someone trustworthy and real. He also wasn’t afraid to look like a dork, as he told me a couple embarrassing stories about his past. He cracked jokes as well, that had me laughing. He confessed that he enjoyed window shopping too and walks on the beach as well.

After our food came, we both dug right in and filled up our stomachs. We both had ordered chicken dishes and it was nice to know everyone in Hollywood wasn’t a vegetarian or vegan. I enjoyed chicken a lot and it was nice to be dining with a man after my own heart. Sometimes the little things could be deal breakers and at least our taste in food was the same. Our conversation also died down as we became busy swallowing, but there were lulls of comfortable silence. I forgot that I was even seated with Matthew Morrison. He had become even more normal to me. It probably helped that I didn’t act like a fan or badger him with fan girlish questions either.

When Matthew was done eating, he cleared his throat and wiped his mouth off with his napkin. I looked at him, sensing he was about ready to speak up. His blue eyes were bright and slightly captivating. I couldn’t deny that the man was attractive and I continued watching him.

“Well dinner was great. I’m stuffed now.” I nodded my head, swallowing my last piece of food.

“Me too. The chicken was delicious.” I wiped my mouth and sipped on some water then, before gazing back at Matt.

“Yeah it was. So I’m guessing it’s a ‘no’ on dessert?”

I nodded my head. “ I would, but I don’t want to be overstuffed.”

“Me neither.” He chuckled. “I’d like to not be yelled at on set that I gained five extra pounds.”

I laughed and then watched as a busboy came by and took our plates away, as we barely had anything left on them. The waitress also returned with our check a moment later and Matthew fished out a credit card from his wallet. I didn’t even bother to argue, knowing he wanted to pay and remembering that JC wanted Matthew to pay as well.

“We going to go to a coffee shop now?” I asked, wondering if the date was already over.

“Ummm….” He looked at his watch. “I don’t think I’m in the mood for coffee anymore, but..we could just walk outside a little. Catch some fresh air.”

I nodded my head, not that disappointed. There were always more opportunities for coffee and if we managed a second date, it could happen then.

Once the check was all squared away and we were set to leave the restaurant, Matthew took my hand and he led me to the exit. He continued holding onto my hand and led me along the sidewalk then, as we leisurely strolled. The colors in the sky were changing and the warmth of the air was just right. It was a beautiful evening for a walk and with a nice man holding my hand. Matt’s hand felt warm and comfortable in mine and seemed like it’d been forever since I’d held a man’s hand. Yet, it didn’t scare me right now. It was a simple gesture and not something I had to run away from.

“So do you have any free time next week?” Matthew asked, breaking silence, as we passed by some small shops.

“I’ve got a couple days off. Why?” I asked, looking at him curiously. I felt his hand squeeze mine then.

“Maybe….I’d like to take you on a second date.” I smiled.

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. Yeah, I do want to take you on a second date.”

“Well…okay.” He grinned.

“Why don’t you put your number in my phone right now.” I watched Matt grab his phone out of his pocket and then he handed it to me. I let go of his hand momentarily so I could hold onto the phone and press the right buttons to insert my number in his contact list. Then I handed him his phone back when I was done and he took my hand again.

“Thank you, Everly. I swear I’ll call you. I just have to check my schedule again.” I nodded.

“I’m not worried.” He turned his gaze upon me.

“JC, was right. You are a great girl. I love how genuine you seem and how you shared stuff about yourself. Plus you have a real cute laugh and pretty green eyes.” I blushed then.

“..And you weren’t afraid to eat in front of me. So many girls have that problem and I want a girl who doesn’t have to be dainty all the time. Plus, you have a good sense of humor and a good head on your shoulders.”

“Thank you. That’s all very nice of you to say.” He smiled.

“So you said you don’t molest until the third or fourth date, but do you kiss on a first?” I laughed then at the earlier joke and then I grew quiet. I knew why he was asking about kissing on a first date. It was a no brainer and I wasn’t sure if I should allow it, yet I had enjoyed myself as well and it would be good to know if he was a good kisser.

“Typically, not, but I could make an exception.” He grinned.

“An exception for me, huh?” I nodded.

Then a moment later, Matt stopped me from walking any further and we froze in place. Then he faced me and slid his hands to my hips. He smiled and then slowly closed the distance between our faces and our lips met. His lips softly caressed against mine and he gave me a simple, warm kiss that was just the right kind of kiss for a first date. I didn’t necessarily feel a spark just yet, but there was potential. I just wasn’t willing to make out wit him so soon, just to see if a real connection was there yet.

“That was nice.” Matt said softly, pulling back and his tongue ran over his bottom lip. “And your lip gloss tasted good.”

I was reminded of my cherry lip gloss then and I blushed. “I forgot I even put cherry on today.”

“It’s okay. I liked it.” He winked and then he led us back in the direction of the restaurant. We made a little more small talk as we strolled back and eventually reached our cars.

Matthew followed me to my car and then opened my door for me like a gentleman, after I unlocked it. “Well I guess this is it. I had a good time tonight, Everly. It was so lovely meeting you. I’ll call you soon.”

I nodded. “Likewise, Matthew. Thank you for dinner.” Then I slid into my car and he closed the door for me. He gave me a wave then and I watched him get into his own car. It was then that I sighed and I ran my fingers over my lips.

I had kissed Matt. It had been a long time since I’d been kissed by someone. It had been a nice kiss, but I wasn’t sure what to make of it yet. I was even a little surprised it happened. I just knew I couldn’t read into things too much just yet or I’d be jumping the gun.

I watched Matthew drive off and fade into the night, as I finally started the engine of my car and turned the radio on. I turned on my headlights as well and I was ready to shift gears. Though just before I could pull out of my parking spot, I heard my phone go off. It was the three note signal I got anytime I received a text message.

I opened my purse and found my phone at the bottom of it. I flipped it open then and saw the number that had sent the text. It was JC. I shook my head immediately, pretty sure he was checking up on how the night had gone. He probably was going to ask me if I enjoyed myself or if I was home already. I hit the ‘ok’ button then to see what he had actually texted. What he sent me wasn’t what I expected. What he sent me wasn’t a question at all. It wasn’t a smart ass remark. It wasn’t even a random statement. It was a plea. It almost seemed like a demand as well. The words made my heart race and my head went into overdrive. I read over his text once more.

I need you…now.

What could that possibly mean? The possibilities went through my head and I tried to not give my hopes up. I just hoped he was okay. If he needed me, then I’d be there. I couldn’t ignore his text, so I decided I was going to drive to his house.




You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc producerjc