Author's Chapter Notes:

The title says it all.

*EDITED*

I must have fallen asleep because I woke up when the plane landed on the strip. The flight staff tell me to wait a few minutes for the unbuckle sign to light up as they go through their routine. I have my litttle backpack and my gym bag to grab. I told them that the backpack was my purse and my gym bag was my carry on. I put my walkman and headphones in my travel bag (the backpack) and when I see the sign light up, I unbuckle, grab my gym bag and get off the plane as fast as I can. I turn on my cell phone and see that it's 7:21a. I text Lance saying I landed safely and I'm on the way to get my large duffle bag. It's a military duffle bag, the kind that clip at the top. It has my cousin's last name on it (Pretat) and he used a black sharpie to black out his ssn. He let me have it after he was discharged for medical reasons (making it honorable). I text Lance on the way to the conveyor belt that spits out passengers' luggage. 'On my way to get my duffle bag from luggage pickup.'

'Ok. On my way to get you.'

'Ok. You guys should realize how much I love and miss you.'

'Why?'

'I'm afraid of planes, heights and flying and I still flew out to see you.'

'Love you too. What are you wearing? It'll make finding you easier.'

I grab my duffle bag off the belt and put both of my bags on the ground, stretching my body. 

'Blue jeans, blue shoes, Dolphins jersey Marino, and green Eastern Boarder hat on backwards. I'm gonna tackle/hug you.'

'Really? I see you.'

I turn around, spot him, run to him, jump in his arms and hug him. He hugs me as he holds me in his arms. "I told you I'd do this."
"I missed you too, Jazz."

"Where are the other guys?"

"On the bus, asleep.'

"Figures, wusses. Can't even get up to see me get here."

"You can wake them up."

"So, what's on the agenda today?"

"We have to go straight to the studio to record tracks for US debut album, photo shoots and interviews from the time we start recording until rehearsal at the venue, and we perform."

"Thought *NSYNC were performing there?"

"They'll be there. We're performing tonight too. JC can explain it better than I can."

I grab my gym bag and Lance takes my duffle bag. We turn and walk as fast as we can to the bus. "Of course you'd say that. Where are they sleeping?"

"In the middle of the bus are bunks. Joey and Chris are on the top bunks. Justin and JC are on the bottom ones."

"Thanks." We get on the bus and I drop my bags on the couch behind the driver. I find the bunks and look at the four of them sleeping oh, so peacefully. I quietly wake up Chris and Joey, signaling Joey to tape what I'm gonna do to wake up Justin and JC. Chris sits with my bags in front of him, just in case something may go flying, from a spot where he can see what I'm doing to wake the other two. I blow in Justin's face, pinning his hands down, until he opens his eyes enough to see me.

His arms quickly fly outta my grasp, wrap around me, pull me on top of himself on his bunk and hugs me tightly."Jazzy! I missed you. I'm so happy to see you. Oh God. I'm glad you're here."

I smile, kiss his cheek and push on his shoulders so I can see his face. "Well, I missed you too, Bounce."

"You look good. Should I get up?"

"Yeah, please, and wait where you can see how I wake Josh up."

We both look at JC as Joey pans the camera to JC. Justin lets me get up, heads for his bowl of Cap'n Crunch and sits at the table. I climb on JC's bunk, sit up against the wall and quickly shove him off his bunk using my feet. THUD! "What the fuck, Justin?"

"Wasn't me. That person's still in your bunk."

JC looks at me from his seat on the  floor as I lay across his bunk. "Oh, hi."

"That's all I get for being scared to death for almost 7 hours?"

"I didn't meant it like that."
"Really? Careful how you word things."

He sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose. After a few seconds of silence, I look at Lance and as he shrugs, JC quickly grabs me and hugs me, causing me to fall off the bunk. He's hugging me. "You know I don't like being woken up like that. I missed you and love you."

"That whole thing was just a front?"
"Yes. I missed my baby sister." He lets me go and gets up, looking at Lance, who shrugs and nods. "I need to talk to you about something. Come to the lounge back here with me." He helps me get up and leads me to the lounge, leaving me wondering. He has me sit down on the couch and sighs.

"What's up?"

"I need to tell, no, show you something and I hope you understand why you didn't find out until now."

"What are you talking about?"

"You know how we've been talking about the group, *NSYNC and how you get to meet, hang with and watch their concert tonight?"

"Yeah, what about it?"

"Watch this." He turns on the TV, put it on MTV, changes it to another music station, didn't find what he was looking for and presses play on the VCR. A video plays, showing a 'space station', and he pause it as the frame focuses on him and the guys.

"It's a video of you and the guys. What does this have to do with *NSYNC."

"Look at the artist's name in the lower left hand corner."

I get up, walk over to the TV and read '*NSYNC'. "Wait, YOU guys are *NSYNC?"

"Yeah."

I walk back to a corner seat of the couch, sit down, pull my legs up so they're crossed and pull my jersey over them, thinking. I see JC start to bite his thumbnail outta the corner of my eye. "Quit biting your nail."

"Are you mad we didn't tell you before?"

"Not mad, more like curious as to why you didn't."

"We didn't know how to tell you or how you'd react or if you'd take advantage of us."

"Josh." I look him in the eye and motion for him to scoot closer. I touch the side of his face to get him to look at me. "You guys are my friends, practically family. I don't take advantage of people. You want to help me, then thanks and I appreciate it. You don't, then it's your call. All I ask is that you don't forget who me, your family and your real friends are."

"What if we want to take you along for the ride?"

"Sure. One condition."

"What would that be? I know we'd have to clear it with your mom."
"That you take me with you during the summer. I have to keep my grades up so Ma doesn't have to worry. I have two weeks worth of work to do."

He laughs. "I think we can manage that."

"Good. Just don't forget about the girl you guys helped adjust to Orlando."

"I won't. Just don't believe the media about most of what they put out there."
"Josh, I read them and think that it's cool and don't believe it."

"I would rather spend time with you guys and have fun, laughing all the while than worry about your money. I come with my own anyway." I make a goofy face, causing JC to laugh.

"So, you don't care if we become well known around the world?"
"If you do, you busted your asses to get there and deserve it. If not, you tried your best and it's not your fault. I'm here for you guys no matter what happens. I love you guys like the family and friends you are."

"I know and we love you too."

We hug. "Next time something like this happens, just tell me. What has happened so far?"

"We have successful singles out here and we're working on tracks for the US debut album, touring Europe, and we've established a good sized fan base out here. We bring it back home starting in November."

"Cool. What happens when you come back home?"

"We promote the single and the album, tour, promo, record, write, repeat everything."

"Fun."

"We've already started writing for our second album."

"Ok. Do you have an idea on when you're gonna be releasing it?"

"Not until 99 or 2000."

"I can deal with that."

"Any rehearsals today?"

"At the arena, on stage."

"Anything else you need to tell me?"

He stops to think, deciding on something. "Not about us. Just make sure to check out the recent performers that have been to this arena."

"Why?"

"You've seen recent pictures of Nick, right?"

"I was just at the Carter Clan's place a few days ago, so I have."
"You'll know why when you see it."

"Ok." I nod, not believing him.

"Keep up with the attitude."

"Pffffftttttt, whatever, Joshua."
He knocks me over and starts tickling my sides. "What was that?" I can't say anything because I'm laughing so hard. He straddles my hips, like he had done to Heather a month ago during the bbq. He's tickling me faster and digging his fingers in more, making me laugh harder. It's starting to hurt a little bit from how hard he's pressing into my sides. I start trying to block and pushing him away. I let out a high pitch giggle and continue laughing. "You're a little red in the face. Just say mercy and I'll stop." I took the time to learn how to sign the alphabet over the past 3 years from books, videos and friends. I sign mercy and he doesn't stop. I gotta teach the guy how to sign 'mercy'.

I try saying it. "M-hehehehehehehehehehehe-r-sahahahahahahahahahahahahaha-ay!!!"

"What? I didn't hear you." He stops for a split second.

Here's my chance. "Mercy, mercy, mercy! Mercy."

He gets up, lets me sit up and catch my breath. Lynn knocks on the door and opens it. "What's going on back here? I just heard her yell 'mercy' five times."

"I tickled her for the attitude she was giving me."

She crosses her arms over her chest, rolling her eyes. "We're pulling into the studio parking lot in a minute."

"Alright. Thanks, Lynn." JC helps me get up. "You feel ok?"

"Yeah. Got any sugar or candy?"

"Yeah, in Justin's bag. He has Sprees, Pixi Stix, and Runts."

"Where's his bag located?"
"Under his bunk."

I nod and walk to his bunk. I see Chris look at me and I motion for him to come help me. He comes over to me as I kneel down near Justin's bunk. "I need Pixi stix."

"Need sugar?"

"JC tickled me and no sugar equals a sleeping Jazz. We can't have that now, can we?"

"No, sleeping Jazz is bor-ring." He reaches under Justin's bunk, grabs the Pixi Stix and lets me grab some. I take about 20, maybe a few more. "You gonna eat em all right now?"

"Nope, this many" I hold out about half "now and the rest just before rehearsal." I smile and rip open the ones I said I was eating now as I stand up. I turn towards the lounge and walk in before I start to eat the sugar.

JC's eyes bug out of his head as he looks at the number of Pixi Stix I'm eating right in front of him. "How many of those is she eating?"

Chris watches me as he answers. "Ten at least."

"Stop her!"

I hand them to JC. "Too late." I smile as he counts them.

"You just had 15 of em!"

I shrug. "I'll be fine." I make a face at him.

He covers and drags his hands down his face before looking at Chris. "How many more does she have?"

"About the same amount in her pocket."

"Take them from her or we're gonna deal with a hyper 13 year old."

"Jazz, give me the other ones."
"No, those are for rehearsal."

JC gets up and looks me in the face. "Surrender the Pixi Stix. I'll tell Justin."

"Pfffffttttttt! He won't do anything."

"Pixi Stix."

"No."

"JUSTIN!"

I hear Justin coming to the lounge. "What's up?"

"Jazz took about 30 of your Pixi Stix and just ate half of them."

"Sweet! We get to see her hyped up on sugar!"

"Not cool."

Lynn walks up behind Justin. "We're here."

I smile. Chris and Justin run for the door. I jump on JC's back and he chuckles. "Can I get a piggy back ride?"

"Stand on the couch and I'll let you." I do as he says, he stands in front of me, I climb on his back, loosely wrap my arms around his neck and he grabs the back of my knees. "All set?"

"Yes." He starts running for the door, jumps down the stairs and I'm laughing the whole to the studio reserved for them. Laughing like crazy. JC lets me go and I get down.

Andi walks in, shaking her head. "What was that about?"

"Just wanted her to have fun."

Chris looks at me. "You know we can sing. Can you sing?"

I wrinkle my nose and shaking my head. "Not that good."

Chris starts to chant 'sing', which causes everyone else to join in. JC stops and smiles, handing me my travel bag. He stops chanting and whispers in my ear. "Just one song."

"Fine." I look at him, slightly annoyed and lookin my bag for a mix tape. I find my Mariah/Toni/TLC mix tape. "Is there a tape player in here?"

Lance points near the soundboards. "Yeah, right there."
"Any of you guys know how to use it and NOT break it?"

JC gets up. "I do."

I hand him the tape and he goes to put it on. "Should start with Mariah Carey's 'Looking In'." He looks at me like I'm weird. "It's what I was listening to when I fell asleep on the plane. I have memoriezed every song and the order they're in on my tapes." JC nods and presses play. I close my eyes and let my head bob with the music, knowing he's still near the soundboard. I start to sing along with the song, sitting against the side of the studio couch.

"You look at me and see the girl
Who lives inside the golden world

JC lowers the volume, a little at a time, for the vocals but leaves the music up. I ignore it.


But don't believe
That's all there is to see
You'll never know the real me

She smiles through a thousand tears
And harbors adolescent fears
She dreams of all
That she can never be
She wades in insecurity
And hides herself inside of me

Don't say she takes it all for granted
I'm well aware of all I have
Don't think that I am disenchanted
Please understand

It seems as though I've always been
Somebody outside looking in
Well here I am for all of them to bleed
But they can't take my heart from me
And they can't bring me to my knees
They'll never know the real me"

I hear a couple people start to clap and I keep singing as TLC's 'Diggin On You' plays. JC turns the vocals up so I start to sing along, just to slowly turn the vocals down again. "Quiet."

"I was like peace in a groove
On a sunday afternoon
You were there so was i
In the park 4th of july
I was chillin’ with my kool aid
When miss chilli came to relay
That you had a thang for me
Finest thang you’d ever seen
I must admit to you
I’ve heard those lines a time or two
Although for some apparent reason
Monkey lines are now in season
Lights off lights on
I guess the groove is on so I am

Diggin’ the scene
Diggin’ on you
Diggin’ on me
Baby baby ooo baby baby
It’s on like that
It’s on like that
I gotta be in love or somethin’ like that

I gotta be in love or somethin’ like that
I gotta be in love or somethin’ like that



I was like deep in a cool
What’nt gone be nobody’s fool
Could not care less who was there
Could’ve been like anywhere
I was chillin’ with my kool aid
Did not want to par-ti-ci-pate
In no silly conversations
Had no time for new relation ships
I must admit to you
When I heard the lines you threw
Although it usually turns me off
But this time you have turned me on
Lights off lights on
I guess the groove is on and I am


Diggin’ the scene
Diggin’ on you
Diggin’ on me
Baby baby ooo baby baby
It’s on like that
It’s on like that
I gotta be in love or somethin’ like that


Oh why do I feel the way I do
When all I can think about is you
What was it in a line
That made me fall for you
Do you know
Why I’m diggin’ diggin’ diggin’ diggin’ on you

Diggin’ the scene
Diggin’ on you
Diggin’ on me
Baby baby ooo baby baby
It’s on like that
It’s on like that
I gotta be in love or somethin’ like that

Diggin’ on you
It’s on like that
Diggin’ diggin’ diggin’ diggin’ on you

Diggin’ the scene
Diggin’ on you
Diggin’ on me
Baby baby ooo baby baby
It’s on like that
It’s on like that
I gotta be in love or somethin’ like that
I gotta be in love or somethin’ like that
I gotta be in love or somethin’ like that"

 

The song ends and I hear JC pull the tape out of the player. I open my eyes and see Johnny squatting in front of me. "Can you sing for me?"

"No."
"Just one more song."

"No."

"Please?"

"No."

JC puts his empty hand where he knows I'll see it outta the corner of my eye, helps me up and lets me hug him, hiding my face against his chest. He knows I get nervous and Johnny just scared the fucking shit outta me. "She's just now letting us hear her sing."

"She's not used to letting people hear her sing?"

"No, we've known her about a month and today might be the last time for a long  while we're going to hear her sing."

"Oh, sorry to hear that."

I feel JC shake his head before resting his chin on the top of my head. I look up at him. "You ok?" I nod. "You feel like talking right now?" I shake my head. "Later on?" I put my head against his chest and listen to his heartbeat, just to calm my nerves. "She's a little jumpy right now and I don't blame her."

"Why would she be jumpy?"

"It's her first time in Stockholm, in a studio, this far from home, and we're the only 7 people she really knows out here. Her mom made it clear that I'm the main person to watch out for her here, other than Lynn." I wrap my arms around him a little tighter. "She also doesn't know you like we do. We've been working with you for close to 2 years, she's known you for about 2 weeks."

"Ok, I understand. Max and Denniz will be here soon, within the next ten minutes."

"Thanks, Johnny." I hear him leave the room, closing the door and JC rubs my back. I look up at him and take a step back as he pulls my arms off him, looking at me. "Why did you react like that?"

"Natural instinct. You pretty much explained why."

He scratches the back of his neck. "I know your facial expression and body language, but that that's beside the point."

"I don't know. I just feel like you'll defend me like a brother would protect his little sister."

"Sam, look at me." I look in his eyes. "You are like a little sister to me. You also need to learn to hide that fear. The media feeds off it and can spin it, which means we need to work on it. There's also something I'm missing when it comes down to why Johnny scared you that bad. I know you were scared of my dad, but you didn't hide. Why Johnny?"

"His voice reminds me of biological dad."

"What about him?" I whisper in his ear. He pulls back and looks in my eyes, concern and worry in his eyes. "He did that to your mom?"

"Yeah."

"That fucker." JC's jaw clenches and I see the anger starting to show.

"Josh, he left almost 9 years ago and we moved more than once. We have no contact with him. He has no clue where we are."

"Did he ever do that to you?"

"A few times, but I screamed and the neighbors came to my aid. They would take me back to their apartments."

He shakes his head. "What sick fucker would do that to not only his wife, but his daughter?"

"Derreck."

I hear Lance get up. "Who's Derreck?" He touches my back, between my shoulder blades, causing shivers.

I turn around. "My biological dad. I know what he looks like, I know what he sounds like, I know about him, I remember him. We have no contact with him for my safety. I can't go through what he put us through again, including all the pain." I start to get pissed off and Lance pulls me into a hug.

He rubs my back. "That's fine. We're always here and nothing will stop us from rushing to help you if you truly need us." He holds me close for a few minutes before having me look at him. "Understand?"

"Yeah."

"Ok."

Two guys walk in and sit at the soundboards. I sit on the couch. One has blonde shoulder length hair, dark colored eyes and a fair build, maybe about 5'10" and around 165 lbs. The other guy had short, spikey blonde hair, hazel colored eyes, fair build, about the same height and a little heavier. The guys walk up to them and do the handshake/hug greeting, calling them 'Max' and 'Denniz'. JC puts his hand out, looking at me like I have to meet them because they're working with them, and helps me up. I stand up, JC is still facing me and he bends down enough to whisper in my ear. "They are writing some of our songs and help produce the albums." I nod. "Relax, they're cool guys." I nod again, he grabs my hand and walks me over to the two guys at the soundboard. "Jazzy, this is Denniz PoP and this is Max Martin," he said as he motioned to each of them and I shake each of their hands, making sure to stay calm. "Max, Denniz, this is our friend and little sister, Jazzy."

Max smiles a gentle kind of smile. "I won't bite you, Jazzy. Justin, maybe, but that's only when his voice cracks."

Justin looks offended. "Hey!"

Max and I laugh. "Nice to meet you, Mr. Martin."

"Just call me Max."

I nod and smile. Denniz smiles a welcoming way. "I keep JC from showing off and out doing the other boys."

I see JC hang his head. "It's not my fault they can't keep up." The three of us laugh, knowing it's a joke and we're the only ones that heard it.

"Are you the Jazzy we've been hearing of from these boys?"

I look at each of them as they nod. "I hope so, otherwise I'm gonna have some butts to kick later."

Max and Denniz laugh. "JC told us your real name is Samantha."

"Then, yes, I am the Jazzy you've been having your ears talked off about."

"The same one who has Nick by the heart?"

"Nick? Nick what?"

"Carter."

"I talk to him, but I'm not sure that I have him by his heart."

"They were here last week and talked to a 'Jazz' from 2:30 until almost 4am."

"That's me and that's because in Orlando it was between 8:30 and 10 at night. I had to go to bed for school."

"Kristian, Gary, Veit, Evan and Carl will be coming in about noon, for the last couple hours. We plan on finishing up around 3. It gives us about, I say close to 6 1/2 hours before you need to leave for the arena." Keep in mind he has a strong Swedish accent but he speaks really good English. "We will mix it after you leave and you can come back before you leave tomorrow."

JC and Lance nod. "Ok. We can try to be here for 7 tomorrow morning."

"That works out perfectly."

They immediately tell JC to get in the booth, he's the first 'victim' in the line up. Max has me sit between him and Denniz. "Turn this dial to the right."

I look at him. "Are you sure it's ok?"

"Go ahead." I do it slowly. "Perfect." He smiles at me. A guy comes up behind me. He has brown hair and light brown eyes, about 5'9" and 150 lbs (I think). "Evan! You're early."

"I thought I would come help mix. Who is this?"

"This is the Jazzy that these boys and Nick Carter have spoken of as of lately."

"Hello, I'm Evan."

"How are you?"
"I'm good. Having fun?"

"Max told me to do it."

Denniz, Max and Evan laugh. Evan smiles. "It's ok. See this lever?"

I look at the lever he's pointing to. "Yeah."

"Push it up 3 lines."

I do exactly like he told me. "Like that?"

"Yes, you're a natural. Press this button." I push the button. "JC, do that verse again and accentuate the words, but make them flow into one another."

JC smiles and nods. "You got it, Evan."

"You can let go of it." I let the button go and JC gives a thumbs up, smiling at me.

For the rest of their studio session, I press buttons, turn dials and move switches as Evan, Max, Denniz and the other producers and mixers tell me to.  I shared quite a few laughs with the guys, producers, mixers, engineers and Andi. By the end of their recording session, I swear there was close to twenty people in that studio room and of course Joey had his damn camera practically attached to his hand or shoved into mine. We had a brunch type deal around 12:15. Max and Denniz pulled JC and Lance aside and talked to them for a few minutes. Everyone else is leaving and it's only going on 2:15. JC and Lance smile. Lance sits next to me and grabs my hand. "Do you want to record some songs for you to keep?"

"Like a souvenir?"

"Yeah, like a souvenir."

JC stands next to me. "We'll make sure Johnny doesn't get the tape."

"What do I need?"

"The instrumentals for the songs you want to do."

"I have the songs on my tapes, but with vocals."

"We can mix those out, like I did earlier."

"Ok. Tomorrow? Is there a way where I would hear them but the vocals not pop up on the tape?"

"Yes. Max and Denniz want to do it for how hard you worked along side them today."

"Thanks." I look at Max and Denniz. "Thank you, it means alot to me. I appreciate it." I smile and they nod at me with smiles on their faces. I look at JC and smirk. I been good and now I'm hungry."

"We just ate two hours ago."

"I been bouncing around and mixing your music. If you ain't payin' me in money, pay me in FOOD!" I put my hands on my hips as I stand up and wave my finger at him. The other guys, Max, Denniz and Andi burst out laughing, causing the two of us to start laughing and all seriousness to go out the window. After we stop laughing, I have to point out that I meant food. "But, in all seriousness, I really am hungry."

JC shakes his head. "How the hell do you stay so small?"

"Dancing. Get me food and I'll show you."

"What do you want?"

I look at the rest of the guys and Andi, thinking. I look at JC. "Chinese."

"Oh, man, one of my weaknesses."

I nod, trying to play like a hard ass. "Great minds think and eat alike." They laugh again. JC kneels down so I can have a piggy back ride to the bus and I climb up, loosely wrapping my arms around his neck. We say good bye to Denniz and Max and walk back to the bus. On the way back to the bus my eyes are bouncing back and forth from plaque to plaque on the studio's hallway walls. "Whoa. Hold on, go back three plaques. I think I saw a familiar face. Please?"

"Hold up, guys. Jazz thinks she saw someone she knows on the wall." The other 4 guys and Andi wait as JC backs up so I can look at the plaque for the original European release of Backstreet Boys' debut album.

I point out Nick for JC. "Isn't that Nick? The Nick I talk to?"

"Yeap. That's your Nick Carter."
"He's in a group called the Backstreet Boys?"

"Yes. Just like we're *NSYNC."
"I'm still getting used to that. This" I point to the plaque "just means he worked hard to get what he's achieved."

"Yeap. Johnny's their manager too."

"He's still a regular 16 year old boy. His job is just more demanding than most is all. Like Justin's job."

"Exactly. Did he tell you?"

"He said he was in a group and would explain it when we meet."

"Kind of like we did."

"Yeah. Maybe he doesn't know how to tell me other than face to face."

"Like us? We had to figure you out and really get to know you and you get to know us before we told you."

"Yeah. Maybe that's what he's doing. Either way, he works hard and probably puts on a good show. You guys can't embarrass me out there."

"We wouldn't dream of it. Ready to go?"

"Yeah, let's get our grub on!"

He runs to the bus, all the way to the lounge and drops me on a corner seat of the couch, causing me to laugh like a hyena. "You're so easy to amuse."

"Hmmmm. Food, sugar, dancing, goofiness, laughter, good movies, video games, friends, family, and I can be me. Yeap, easily amused." I look at JC and smile the cheesiest smile I can, causing us both to start laughing. I see the Sega sitting under the TV, run over, sit on the floor, and begin hooking it up. As I focus on this task, I stick my tongue out of the side of mouth, curling it over the right corner of my top lip, and gently bite down on it. After I have it hooked up, I look for a two player game. They have 'Pacman', 'Ms. Pacman', 'Altered Beast', 'Sonic 2', 'Power Rangers', 'Mortal Kombat' (1-3) and 'Sonic 3'. "Josh, what game?"

"You want a challenger?"

"Well, duh!"

"Put in 'Pacman' and I'll beat your butt before we get to the restaurant."

"You're on, bro." I put it in and motion for him to take the second controller.

"Why do you get first player?"

"You picked the game."

"Ok, I'm not going to be nice."

I start to set it up. "We're doing VS."
"Fine."

"I'm gonna win."

"What if I win?"

"You pick the next game and it can't be this one."
"You win?"
"I pick the next 2 player game."

"You got yourself a deal."

We shake on it. "Just so you know, I can beat my mom at this game and she's got more than years on me when it comes to this game."

"And you think you're going to kick my ass at it?"

I start the first level. "Yeap." We play level for level and JC dies on level 6, which makes me the winner, not only by lives either. "I beat you by over 3,000 points, but also by 2 lives."

"Shut up. Pick a game."

I smile. Joey comes to the door. "We're at the restaurant."

"Last to touch their nose is last to go. Joey judge this. Last one to touch their nose has to shut everything down."

"Deal." JC's feeling cocky even though he just got his ass whooped at 'Pacman' by a 13 year old GIRL.

Joey watches us. "Nose goes! JC, shut it down." I stick my tongue out at him and smile. JC tries to grab my tongue and misses. "You two really do act like brother and sister."

"Thanks, Joey." I smile and he shakes his head.

We go in the restaurant and eat dinner, talking and joking around the whole time. Justin is acted like an idiot as we wait for our food. I think Joey caught it on camera. I was talking to JC and he was trying to pay attention but Justin was a distraction. We get done with dinner and go to the arena for rehearsal. We show up half an hour early. I sit on the stage and call Nick. I had noticed the posters of previous performers and recognized Nick right away.

It rings three times. "Hello?"
"Hey, you."

"Jazz. How was your landing?"

"The landing and flight were fine. I had Lynn call my mom. I have to call her before I go to bed tonight."

"So, have you found out what they had to tell you?"

"Yeah. They are *NSYNC."

"I guess that's cool."
"Anything you wanna tell me?"

"Like what?"

"About your group?"

"What haven't I told you?"
"The name."

"Oh, heh. I meant to tell you that, I guess it kinda slipped my mind."

"Nick. You're a friend of mine and I don't care about anything but who you are and that you're honest with me. Spend time with me, talk to me, and be honest."

"I'm in the Backstreet Boys."

"See? Was that so hard?"

"You don't care?"

"No, why should I?"

"Why don't you?"

"It's a job for you. One that keeps you busy alot of the time, is very demanding and you are dedicated to working hard on. You're still the Nick Carter from Tampa, who has three sisters, a brother, a half sister, a mom, a dad, a great family, unbelieveable friends, and a loving support system that will love you no matter what happens."

"You understand that?"

"Completely."

"Wow, you do care about who I really am."

"If I didn't, I wouldn't be so calm. You're just a 16 year old boy." I look around for Lance, making sure he's not near me or in hearing range. "Who I happen to like alot."

"We haven't met yet."
"It's your personality, your laugh, your voice."

"You're falling for me?"

"I guess so."

"Would you let me kiss you?"

"Not right away."

"Heh. Anticipation just makes it better."

"I think we should chill with that noise for awhile."

"Take it slow?"

"Very."

"Alright. Could I hold you in my arms?"

"Maybe." I know, we're flirting and we're teenagers. I know what he looks like and he has pictures of me. His brother even sent him videos of me being me around two of his sisters, Angel and Leslie. The three of us have become very close friends, kinda like Charlie's Angels.

"I got another video of you from Aaron." I told you Aaron sends him videos. I wonder what's on the tape he just got. Aaron's taped me talking to Nick on the phone, hanging with their sisters, dancing, laughing, swimming, tickling Aaron till he begs for mercy (I learned it from JC), and doing my homework.

"What's on this one?" I add in a sigh for dramatic purposes.

Nick laughs, knowing I do that sigh just to pretend to be dramatic about it. "The normal stuff and a clip of you singing. I love to listen to it over and over. What song were you singing?"

"I sing alot of songs. Play it for me."

"I have to go in the lounge area."

"Ok. I'll wait."

I hear him close the door, turn on the TV and press play on the VCR. "Mmmmm, here we are."

I listen to it play. "Aaliyah's '4 Page Letter'."

"You sing like 9 songs on it."

"Play em all."

"Ok. There's this one."

I listen. "Mariah Carey's 'Always Be My Baby'."

He fast forwards to the next one. "This one."

"Aaliyah, 'Age Ain't Nothing But a Number'."

"This one."

"Beach Boys, 'Kokomo'."

"This one?"

"Mariah Carey, 'Looking In'."

"This one?"

"Aaliyah, 'One In A Million'."

"This one?"

"112, 'Come See Me'."

"This one?"

"Tupac, 'Keep Ya Head Up'."

"This one?"

"Leann Rimes, 'One Way Ticket (Because I Can)'."

"That's all 9. I guess you are an all around music lover. Wait, there's one more."

"Play it."
"Alright."
"Richard Marx, 'I Will Be Right Here Waiting For You'."
"I got to the end almost. Um, last one becasue it's the end of the tape almost. Only about 3 minutes left on it. Playing it now."

"Fugees, 'Killing Me Softly'. Remake of Roberta Flack. Original release was in 1972."

"How many is that?"

"Altogether, there's 11 your brother caught me singing, taped and sent to you."

"Could you sing me a song?"

"Now?"

"Please?"

"What song?"

"Lenny Kravitz, 'Can't Get You Off My Mind'."

"Alright, here goes nothing.

Life is just a lonely highway
I'm out here on the open road
I'm old enough to see behind me
But young enough to feel my soul
I don't wanna lose you baby
And I don't wanna be alone
Don't wanna live my days without you
But for now I've got to be without you
I've got a pocket full of money
And pocket full of keys that have no bounds
But then I think of lovin'
And I just can't get you off of my mind
Babe can't you see
That this is killing me
I don't want to push you baby
And I don't want you to be told
It's just that I can't breathe without you
Feel like I'm gonna lose control
I've got a pocket full of money oh yes I do
And a pocket full of keys that have no bounds
But when it comes to lovin'
I just can't get you off of my mind
Am I a fool to think that there's a little hope yeeah tell me baby yeah
What are the rules the reasons and the do's and don'ts yeeah yeah
Tell me baby tell me baby yeah
What do you feel inside?
I've got a pocket full of money
And a pocket full of keys that have no bounds oh yeah
But when it comes down to lovin'
I just can't get you off of my mind
I just can't get you off of my mind."

I hear Nick breathing on the other end of the line. JC nudges my side with his foot. I swat at his foot and look at him. "It's easier to sing over the phone than it is face to face?"
I nod. "Wow, I didn't think you'd sound so beautiful. What's that song?"

"It's 'I Can't Get You Off My Mind', Lenny Kravitz sings it."

"I guess you are an all around music lover."

"Yeah. I love music. I'm sure someone in your group has that album or the single. Ask if you can listen to that track and listen tothe words." I spot Darren and signal 'one minute'.

"I will."

"Gotta go. Gotta dance off the pizza, Chinese, and Pixi Stix I had today. Gonna have fun too."

"Ok. Call me later?"

"You call me later. Around ten."

"How about ten forty-five?"

"Sounds good."

I hear Nick talking to someone on his end. "Talk to you later.'

"Later." I roll onto my stomach and get up. I hug Darren. "How's James been doing with the steps?"

"Starting to slip."
"I'll fix that. Play the tracks."

I grab Lance and drag him on stage to rehearse, causing the other 4 guys to fall into position around us. Darren starts the playback (I call em backtracks). We go through the set three times and Lance gets it almost as good as he did before leaving Orlando. "How's that?"

"Better. Much better. Don't embarrass me tonight."

"What if I miss a step?" He runs his hand through his blonde hair as his beautiful green eyes fill with worry.

"James, just fall into place and step with the other guys. Move onto the next step."

He nods. "Alright, thanks."

"Relax and go get ready for the show."

Darren walks over and hands me a lanyard with a card dangling from it. "Your access passes for their dressing room, backstage, and the tour bus."

"Oh, VIP treatment cards."

"Yes, you get these for the whole time you're with us and then you can take them home."

"Thanks." I put em on and head backstage.

Joey catches me and hands me the camera. "Tape the show tonight?"

"Sure. how long till you're on?"

"Ten minutes before they start letting people in."
"So about half an hour?"
"Twenty minutes."
"Hope the other guys hurry up then."

They do their Hackey routine and group prayer. As they go on stage, they all give me a quick hug. I tape their performance and cheer them on from backstage. We finish the show and we run to the bus, Andi in tow. I hear security do a run by head count. "1, 2, 3, 4, 5 guys and 1, 2 girls. We have all seven. All are out of the building."

I look at Lance. "When did we hire security?"

"After we came back and almost got mobbed, they started tonight."

"Who are they?"

Lance leads me around to the security team introduces me to each one. I know there's Derek, Randy, Todd, Eric, Mike, Lonnie, Wesley, Andre and Big Dogg. "Guys, this is Jazzy. You'll have to protect her until the 17th, when she goes home." 

They all stand up and are over a foot taller than I am. They shake my hand and direct friendly nods in my direction, some of them even smile. I go in the lounge with JC and Lance. "When do they follow us around and protect us?"

"When we go anywhere."
"As in?"

"Outside the bus or hotel rooms we're in."

I hang my head and check the time. I call my mom. "Hello?"

"Hey Ma."
"Are you with Lynn, Andi and the boys?"
"Yes, I am."
"Can I talk to Joshua?"

"Sure." I hold the phone out to JC. "She wants to talk to you."

He rolls his eyes. "Hello? Hi, Vikki. We just got back on the bus. We actually had to hire security and they started tonight. All have previous police or FBI work histories. Yeah, she's more than safe. We can't leave the bus or our hotel rooms with out at least one member of the security team with us." He laughs. "She's sitting in the lounge with Lance-. James and I are with her in the lounge on the bus. We have an after party we have to attend and then we're in for the night. By 2 in the morning we have be on the bus. I will make sure she's safe. I'm sure. Ok, good night." He hands me back my cell phone. "She says since security got hired, you don't have to call the rest of your time out here."

"Thanks." I check the time and see I have about 45 minutes before Nick is supposed to call. "How long until we get to the club?"

"An hour or so. Rest up."

I grab my pillow, throw it at JC, put my feet on Lance's lap and my head on JC's abs. Lance pulls my shoes off and starts to rub my feet and calves. I feel JC running his fingers through my hair. I know I fall asleep. I wake up to my cell phone vibrating in my hand. I don't even open my eyes. "Hmm?"

"Did I wake you?"

"Not really. Haven't opened my eyes."

Nick laughs. "Can you hold a good conversation while half asleep?"

"Depends on the subject."
"How was your first concert?"

"Unbelieveable. James did great and the rest of the guys were awesome, as well. Vocals were so melodic, I wanted to fall asleep backstage. Met the security team, who are nice. They are massive guys. I have my head on a pillow on Josh's abs and he's running his fingers through my hair. My legs are on James and he's rubbing my calves and feet."

"Sounds like you're being spoiled." Nick's tone is pissy.

"What's with the tone?"
"I just don't wanna have you around Lance."

"Why? He's like family to me. There's nothing between us, promise."

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely."

"Can I trust you?"

"That's what I build all my relationships on. Friendship or otherwise."

"You're right."

"Exactly." We talk about football, Nintendo games, Sega games, school and Orlando. He asks if I've even read anything about the dolphins. I tell him some of the things I read about dolphins since the last time we talked about dolphins (a couple days ago). He says he's tired and will call me tomorrow. I agree and we hang up.

About half an hour later, we get to the club and go in. We dance our butts off and have a blast. Do I really remember much about it other than hanging out, having fun, and dancing? No, I don't. After two and a half hours of dancing, hanging out, security rounds the 7 of us up and makes us get on the bus.

Derek realizes something is off with me. My cheeks are red, I'm giggling a little too much, and my eyes are dilated. "JC, isn't this one under your watch?" Derek is holding me up as we walk to the bus.

JC turns around. "Yeah, Jazzy's under my watch."

"Man, she's hot to the touch, red in the face, giggly, her eyes don't look right and she can't walk right."

JC walks up to me and makes me look him in the face. I know my words are gonna be slurred, so I refuse to speak. "I know her problem. We should get her on the bus. She needs water and sleep."

Derek hands me to JC, who carries me like a baby in his arms. "You drank some of our shit didn't you?"

I roll my head toward his chest and loosely wrap my arms around his neck. "Mmmmm-mmmmm."

"Yes, you did. Jazz, I know you. You're lying."

"I did not."

"Look me in the face."

I hear the bus door shut as JC gets near the bunks. I look him in the face. "I didn't drink your shit." Shit, my word slurred. I'm busted. "I need to go to the bathroom."

He puts me down. "We're dealing with this before and after you fall asleep. Thanks, Derek."

I roll my eyes, go to the bathroom, wash my hands and splash my face with cold water. I broke the seal, so I'm a little more sober. I come out and JC realizes I'm walking a little better. "How can you prove it?" My words aren't as slurred.

He leads me to the lounge. "I know how you act when you're tired compared to this. Drink this water. You need to flush the alcohol. Who's drink did you sip off?"

I look at him like he's crazy. "Where am I sleeping?"

"Lounge or my bunk. Don't change the subject. Who's drink?"

"Talk in the morning."
"No, now. I can just call your mom."
"No!"

"Tell me and I won't."
"Yours, Chris's, Joey's and Todd's."

"Who's more?"

"Joey's and yours."

He grabs his pillow, two blankets, sits on a corner part of the couch, puts a blanket on himself, puts my pillow on his abs and turns on the TV. "Lay your sneaky ass down." He points next to himself on the part of the couch that extends from his side. I lay down, putting my water on the floor, without fighting him. I know he's just trying to keep me safe and look out for me, protect me like a good older brother would. "I love you and I get that you're trying to rebel, but don't fight me."

"Love you, too, big brother."

He takes my hair down and runs his fingers through it, causing me to almost immediately fall asleep. "You don't need to act out, just talk to me. I'd rather know you're doing what you did, than wonder why or if you did. Just tell me."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story