Author's Chapter Notes:

Lenny Kravitz makes a cameo. I really do love this man's voice. I'd love to meet and talk music with Lenny Kravitz.

 

*EDITED*

My alarm goes off and JC comes in looking tired and annoyed. "Get up. You have half an hour before you leave." I groan and roll over, pulling a blanket over my head. He stands over me. "I'll get Justin to wake you up then."
I sit up in bed, stretching. "I'm awake." I yawn as I get up to grab my clothes, and hit JC with a pillow as I walk by. I shower, get dressed, put my hair up and my cell rings as I leave the bathroom. I yawn into the phone, greeting the caller, "Mornin'."
"Good morning, beautiful."
I groan. "I don't like mornings."
"Almost ready to head out?"
"Yeah, meeting place?"
"JC's room, ten minutes."
"Sure." We hang up and I walk into JC's room, grabbing one of my pillows. I stand next to his bed with the door opened just a little. Nick knocks lightly on the door and comes in. I signal for him to be quiet and stand with the door wide open before grabbing the pillow with both hands, pulling it back behind me. Nick's eyes widen as I slam the pillow against JC's head a few times and run for the door.
"Jazz, I'm going to kick your ass when you get back tonight!!!"
"Love ya, Joshie!!!" I yell back, laughing as Nick and I head for the elevator. I look at JC as he stands in his doorway, staring in my direction and giving a salute with a single finger. I give him a two finger salute. My cell goes off as we get in the van for the shopping strip. 
'What was that for?'
'Felt like doing it'
'Bullshit.'
'Threaten me with having Justin wake me and that's what you get'
'You scare me so bad that I'm shaking in my high heels...'
I ignore that one with a roll of my eyes as we pull up to the storefront. I notice three large guys near us, step closer to Nick and grab his hand, interlacing our fingers. "Who are they?"
"Three of ten of our security team. Gary, Kent and Karl." He says motioning to them and they smile, nod and wave at me. "Guys, this is Jazzy."
Karl smiles and the other two laugh. "This is your 'Isolde'?"
"She's Irish and likes that kinda thing."
I smile. "They rag on you about it too?"
"Guess it could be worse."
"Outta the guys only JC knows your 'Tristan', but somehow, the whole security team knows it's you."
Karl chuckles. "I told my cousin without knowing I was on speaker while the boys were on stage."
I nod. "What a slip up, huh, Karl?"
"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Shopping or what?"
I giggle. "Watch, I'm gonna get used to being surrounded by security and then go home. I'll feel outta place."
Nick laughs. "Don't forget that we might not need security until we tour the US. We aren't even remotely big back home."
"Yeah, I know. Where are the other guys?"
"They're already here. AJ has been shopping for the past hour. He's a shopaholic."
I laugh. "I have a shopping buddy... Not!" 
Nick smiles as we go in the mall. He pulls out his cell phone as we sit in the food court. He calls four numbers, telling each caller the same thing, "We're waiting in the food court in the middle." He smiles, sitting next to me and realizes I'm nervous. "Relax," he tells me, putting his hand on mine, "They aren't gonna bite. AJ might, but he's a freak," he says with a playful smirk on his face.
A few seconds later a guy wearing sunglasses jeans, a leather jacket and an evil smile sits with us. "So, this tiny thing is your girlfriend?"
"AJ, I've told you we aren't together."
He scoffs, pulling his shades down so I can see his brown eyes. "If you aren't yet, I give you until September. Even D said it."
I look around, confused. "Derek's here?"
"She's ditzy."
"Fuck you. Derek is part of *NSYNC's security team."
"Call off your ankle biter, man."
Nick throws his hands up, signaling AJ's on his own. "Not worth the energy." 
Three guys walk up to our table together and sit. One has strawberry blonde hair and baby blues, one is tall with dark hair and eyes, and the third has his hair pulled back and beautiful brown eyes. The tall one speaks first. "I'm Kevin." He reaches his hand out and I shake it. "Relax, we'll protect you from AJ's cruel intentions. This is my cousin, Brian," he says motioning to the strawberry blonde, who greets me with a smile and wave. "He has a cold and doesn't want to get you sick."
I smile and wave back. "Thanks for being so considerate, Brian." 
Kevin gestures toward the guy with his hair pulled back. "This is Howie. We call him D or Sweet D," he informs me.
I put my hand in Howie's. "Why do you call him Sweet D?"
He kisses the back of my hand and Kevin shakes his head. "That's why." I smile and blush, slightly. "And you've already met AJ. He's a pain in the ass."
AJ smiles, almost too sweetly. "Me? A pain in the ass? Never."
I roll my eyes and look at Kevin. "You've been talking to Nick for about a month."
"Yeah, I'm Jazzy."
The four of them say hi to me and smile. "Any specific store you want to go to?"
"Is there a CD store around here?"
"Sure. This way. AJ, stay with us this time."
We head over to the record store and start looking at CDs, Nick staying close. "Nick, look what I found!" I hold a Journey album in my hand and show him when he comes over to me.
He smiles and hugs me. "This is the one I've been looking for. Thank you. You're amazing."
I smile. "I have a knack for finding rare or missing things, being amazing at English, science and history."
We laugh and I make a face a him. "Dating yet?" AJ says as he walks by us.
"Are you gay yet?"
He whips around and stands in front of me. "What did you say?"
"Are you gay yet? Like happy."
"Not yet." He turns on his heel and walks away.
Nick and I laugh as we turn back to finding CDs, talking about whatever comes to mind. I find a Lenny Kravitz CD and smile. "What's that, Jazz?"
"Lenny Kravitz, a man I love to listen to."
He smiles. "Maybe someday you can meet him."
"I dunno. I think I'd freeze up and stutter like a fool. His voice is like silk to me."
A man behind me says, "Don't buy that album, it's junk."
I turn around and note the dreads and light chocolate, tattooed skin. "Who are you to tell me what to buy and what music to like?"
"Because I recorded that crap." He turns around and I swear my jaw dropped through the floor.
I keep trying to say something for a minute. "Hi, Lenny," I finally manage to say.
He laughs wholeheartedly before looking at Nick. "You're part of that boyband my daughter loves."
"If it's *NSYNC, you're thinking of Justin Timberlake. I'm Nick Carter, youngest Backstreet Boy. This is my friend, Jazzy."
He looks at me. "Is that your real name?"
"No, it's a nickname. My real name is Samantha."
"I see the reason for disliking your name. How'd your nickname come about?"
"One of my friends from my hometown, her sister calls dancing 'jazzing'. Ever since I could cruise furniture, I've danced whenever music would play. They nicknamed me 'Jazzy' and it just stuck. My mom and teachers even call me Jazz."
"It's definitely unique. Your eyes just changed color." He looks at them, curious.
"Most blue eyes change color, some are more noticeable than others. Mine go from midnight blue to ocean blue to turquoise to hazel to a light baby mint green."
"Well, that's rare. They're turquoise right now."
"I'm starting to feel embarrassed and would love if you could sing part of 'Can't Get You Off My Mind', please?"
"You enjoy my music?"
"I love your voice. It's like silk to my ears."
He chuckles. "I've never heard that analogy before. I'll gladly sing it for you." Nick stands behind me, wraps his arms around me and rests his head on my right shoulder. I allow my head to lean against his as Lenny aka Romeo Blue starts to sing the song I requested. A smile slowly creeps across my face. He finishes the song and smiles as I open my eyes. "You two are cute together."
I blush. "We're just friends, close friends."
He wraps me in his arms, in a loving hug. "Something will come of it, something more, something bigger than either of you alone," he quietly tells me in my ear, ensuring only I hear it.
I step back and smile. "Thank you, Lenny. I love that song. Your voice is beautiful."
"I'm working on an album right now."
"I hope you draw inspiration from everything you experience."
"That is a true fan's musical blessing."
"Your music is one of my daily blessings."
"How about Hendrix?"
"He and Marley are amazing. Hendrix is pure energy while Marley is laid back, relaxing."
"You don't listen to just the recent music. You must enjoy all kinds of music, a multi-era music lover."
I nod. "Exactly what I am musically."
He checks his watch and looks at me. "I'm sorry to cut this short, but I have to attend a meeting for my next album." He gives me a quick hug and pats Nick on the back. 
I close my eyes and smile as he leaves the record store. "You planned that, Nick."
"No, it just happened." He's being honest.
I start to turn back to the CDs when Howie shoves a video camera in my face. "You just met Lenny Kravitz. How do you feel?"
"Did you tape that?"
"I've been taping you since we came in here."
"You nerd. You're almost as bad as Joey with that damn camera."
"So, how do you feel?"
"Like I'm on top of the world."
"AJ taped from the other side of the aisle."
"Thanks."
"We got you two on film."
I have no clue what he's getting at. "What is that supposed to mean?"
AJ comes over to us and hands Howie the other camera, which he puts in his bag. AJ smiles evilly again. "While Lenny sang, we got you two on camera. Mwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!" I swear he's beyond certifiable for a padded room. That's my honest opinion of him.
"Whatever."
"What did Lenny tell you when he hugged you the first time?"
"Nothing important or that I wanna share," I tell Howie as I recall the words Lenny had said just for me to hear. I try to figure out what it means as I look through CDs, blindly. I pull my cell out and text JC. 'What does someone mean when they tell me things like 'Something will come of it, something more, something bigger than either of you alone'?'
'Who told you that?'
'Lenny Kravitz aka Romeo Blue'
'You ran into him?'
'Yeah, here at the record store. Howie and AJ caught it on tape. What the fuck does it mean?'
'Chill out, Jazz. Who knows? Don't think about it, just let things run their course and it'll play out. You'll know when it happens. Maybe when you run into him, he'll explain it.'
'I hope so bc my brain is heading into overload about it'
'Let it just happen, life will define itself eventually.'
I take a deep breath and take JC's advice to heart as I calm down, trying my best to chill out. Nick rubs my back and I look at him. "You ok?"
I nod, hoping to convince us all that I will be. "Just give me a little while. I just met the man that houses the voice I love."
He smiles. "Alright. It was cool, wasn't it?"
"Yeah."
"You talked to him like you've known him almost forever."
"On the inside I was freaking out like a teenage girl used to do over Jordan Knight & Joey McIntyre!"
He chuckles quietly. "I thought you were gonna maul him at first, then you just coolly said 'hi, Lenny'."
I smile. "I honestly considered it for a hundredth of a second, but then again, if I had... I don't think he would have sang for me." Or said what he did that's causing me to rack my brain for the fucking meaning.
"I thought you handled it better than I would have."
"Thanks, Nick." He always seems to find just the right words to say to make me relax and smile. He's an awesome friend. A few minutes later, my cell phone rings. Justin. I shake my head as I answer. "Hello?"
"No way you met THE Lenny Kravitz!"
"Yes, I did." I try not to laugh.
"Bring back evidence, then I'll believe it."
I look for Howie, spotting him over by the Babyface CDs. I walk over to him. "Howie?"
"Yes, mijita?"
I smile. "Could I get copies of the tapes?"
"Of course, I can copy them while we eat before rehearsal."
I hug him. "Thanks, mijo." I turn my attention back to the phone call with Justin. "I'll come back with proof, asshole."
"Whatever." His comebacks are usually more explicit than that, which tells me that mama Lynn is right there. I begin to pluck the nerve.
"Is mommy right there? Is that why you're holding back?"
"Shut UP, Jazz," he says, sounding overly irritated.
"What are you gonna do, momma's boy? Tickle me?"
"Momma's girl."
"Sometimes, yes."
"Grrrrrr! You are now on that list."
I know which one he's talking about and it's not a shit list. "Talk to you later, Bounce." I hang up before I agitate him worse than I have already.
"You're a bitch to him." I look in the direction of the deep voice. Kevin.
I roll my eyes and turn my attention back to the plethora of music in front of me. "Well, someone has to get him to realize he's just like everyone else."
"You don't have to be so mean about it."
I shrug, knowing he's right. Before I can say anything else about the matter, my cell phone rings again. It's Lance this time. "Hello?"
"You met Lenny Kravitz? The Romeo Blue Lenny Kravitz?"
"Yes, and he's a sweet guy. Totally down to earth. He sang for me and we talked for a few minutes about music."
"It must have felt so cool."
"He's just like us, just with more experience in the music industry."
"You get his number?"
I laugh because now I'm wishing I did, just to talk music with him. "No, sorry."
I hear Chris say I failed them after Lance tells him I didn't get the man's digits, making me laugh. "What's so funny?"
"I was just thinking how I failed myself by not getting his number."
"Why?"
"I'd be able to talk music with him forever."
Lance chuckles and repeats it to Chris. I hear him and Joey start laughing. "Joey says you make love to him with your eyes."
"Just like he does every time a hot girl walks by?"
"Justin says you're bringing tapes back of your meeting with Lenny."
"Yeah, he wants proof and Howie taped it."
I hear Chris start hassling Lance for the phone and finally gets it. "Who's 'Tristan'? What's his real name? Tell me, tell me, tell me!!!" He's like a big kid and hates secrets being kept from him.
"No way, Chris. He's 16, you've met him and he's in a boyband just like you. That's all I'm gonna tell ya, Psycho."
"You suck."
"You need a chill pill or to stop eating sugar."
"Pppppfffffftttttt. Never. Tell me."
"You're not gonna quit till I tell you, huh?"
"The sooner you tell me, the sooner I quit hounding you." He's been asking me since the texts because he's convinced I'm secretly dating the kid.
"You can't tell anyone, not even James."
"I promise."
"No matter what."
"I get it, pinky promise."
I sigh and look to see if Nick or AJ are in hearing range. "His initials are NC."
"Boyband, 16, we've met him and his name is North Carolina?"
"No, pull out a teen magazine and look for those initials in articles about boybands."
"Joey, does Jazz have a teen magazine in her room?"
"You went through my things?"
"It was on top. That hardly constitutes going through your stuff. I have four sisters, hello!" I can imagine Chris throwing his free hand in the air.
"I have three. You want Bop or Pop Star."
"Thanks." They're quiet as they grab the magazines and flip through them. The pages are scanned and audibly turned as they read off names. "Sean Conlon, Nick Carter-"
I hear Justin and Lance playing a game in the back ground. "Stop cheating, Justin!"
"I'm not cheating, I'm improving my chances for victory."
Joey has an epiphany. "Chris, the kid's initials are NC, right?"
"Yeah."
"This has got to be 'Tristan'."
Chris goes silent, most likely reading the paragraph on Nick. "Blonde hair?"
"Yes."
"Blue eyes?"
"Yes."
"From Tampa?"
"Yes."
"Aquarius?"
"Shares a birthday with Joey."
"That's him. Why, Jazz?" He's about to be melodramatic. "How could you betray us like that?"
"Whoa! Wait a minute! You guys are my FAMILY, which comes first and I DON'T betray."
I hear him close the magazines and drop them on the table in my room before dropping on my bed. "What about Lance?" he quietly inquires.
"He's my best friend and I don't wanna lose that friendship. He's gonna be the first to know what comes outta of this. We agreed on that."
"I just don't want him to get hurt."
"I'm not gonna hurt him."
"Does he understand what you told him?"
"Yes, we talked about it a couple days ago. I made it clear that he means more as a friend. He's more privy to info I wouldn't even disclose to Joey, you or Justin."
He sighs heavily. "I guess you're right."
"Put James on please."
Chris gets up and gives Lance the phone. "Hey, Jazz."
"James, you know you mean more as my best friend, right?"
"Of course. We made it clear to each other that our friendship means more than a relationship ever would. A relationship could ruin the friendship we share."
"I had to make sure. I love the openness we share and how we can confide in each other. Can I tell you something?"
"Sure."
"I like Nick."
I'm not ready for his reaction to be what is. "That's so great!" He's excited for me. "Is he nice? Is he him?" He's referring to 'Tristan'.
"I thought you'd be down about it. Yes to both." I'm confused infinity ways from the third Saturday of the thirteenth month of every year!
"I'm actually really happy for you. You're right. So, do you think you might give him a chance?"
"I dunno. I'm just getting to know him. Like I do you."
"Sounds like a plan, when do we meet him?"
"As in hang out?"
"No, marry him." Sarcasm doesn't suit him very well.
I must have a worried/confused look on my face because Howie mouths 'What's up?' and I wave him off. "Uh, after you come home?"
"Works for us." I hear a loud thud and a sleepy JC curse at Justin and Chris, who are laughing like hyenas. 
"Another prank?"
"Yes. They tied his shoelaces together again."
"The zapping gum is next. They need new material."
"I know. I'm going to let you go so we can head out." 
"Alright, talk to you later, James."
"Definitely."
He hangs up and I look at my cell phone like it's a fire alarm for a school that I have to assemble. "What's that look for?"
"James didn't have the reaction I thought he would about something and I'm kinda freaked out, totally confused."
I shake my head and Howie rests his hand on my shoulder in that older brother way, comforting me. "Real friends are good at that. The people you were talking to on the phone a few minutes ago are real friends. You care about them."
"They care about me too."
"All set?"
I look at the Lenny Kravitz CDs in my hands with a smile and I buy them, meeting Nick, Brian and Kevin just outside the store. Nick and I whisper back and forth about Howie having to wrangle AJ out of the store and Lance's reaction to telling him that I like Nick. "You like me?"
"Well, yeah. I wanna make sure our friendship is stronger before we humor the idea of being together. I have to settle in back home and all that stuff before I can even let myself consider the thought."
He smiles. "That's cool. We can really get to really get to know you anyway. Thanks for liking me for who I am."
I playfully side bump him. "Nerd." I smile back at him.
"Let's get lunch and head to rehearsal," Kevin says, oddly sounding calm. 
I hear Howie on the phone. "No, he's been good today. No incidents. Jazz is even keeping him in line better than we can. They're inseparable and always talking quietly, even right now. No, not at all. They've both been quiet and well behaved today. I would happily let them stay with me. Johnny said Nick asked what?!? What did her mom say?" 
He shoots a death glare at us and I point it out to Nick. "Probably because I asked Johnny to allow you to come on tour with us, every time we tour."
"I'll talk to Johnny today. Yes, he's supposed to be at rehearsal. We're grabbing lunch and heading there now. I will, bye." Howie, Brian, Kevin and AJ start whispering back and forth.
Kevin's head snaps up. "WHAT?!?"
Howie plays peace keeper with Brian's help. "We'll talk to Johnny when we get to rehearsal. We have three and a half months to get to know her. We can sort this out."
He looks at us for a quick second and we laugh. "Nick better hope we get this figured out." We stop at BK and grab lunch. I get a Whopper, large onion rings, a large soda and extra onion rings. I give Kevin the money for mine and he looks at me like I'm insane. "I got it."
"I pay for my part or I kick AJ's ass."
"Language. He could use being knocked down a few pegs."
I shrug. "Ok, I can do that."
AJ tries to pick on me. "You going to eat all of it?"
"Yeah, and it's gonna taste great!" I giggle before picking at my onion rings, dipping them in sweet and sour sauce. "Mmmmmm!!"
Kevin is trying so hard not to laugh. AJ rolls his eyes. "Where does it go?"
I pretend to ponder that. "I put it in my mouth, chew, swallow it so it goes down my throat, into my stomach which digests it, through my intestines, and out my-"
Howie waves his hands in front of his body, causing Nick and I to laugh like a couple hyenas in the back seat. "Not when we're eating! Jazz, you sure you're a girl?"
I rub my thigh and quickly look down at my chest. "About as sure as mother nature proves it every month."
"I mean to say that you're not very girly."
I shrug. "Thanks for noticing, I was starting to feel like you wouldn't realize it," I say with a smirk on my face. We pull up to the arena and go in. 
Fatima looks at me and hugs me before the boys. "Jazzy, right?"
"Last time I checked that's what everyone calls me."
She smiles. "Remember our deal we made last night."
"No problem. Hey, I need to talk to you."
"Let me give the boys a hug and we can sit and talk." The boys smile and she narrows her eyes. "Alone."
"Ok." I sit on the far end of the stage and start eating my burger.
She sits next to me, bumping my shoulder. "What's on your mind?"
"Nick wants us to go on tour with him, what do you think?"
"Talk to Johnny, his mom, your mom and get to know the boys. From there, just take it day by day. They'll warm up to you. I will give my input after rehearsal today and Johnny will be watching us. When I first sat in the room with Nick and Johnny, Nick asked and Johnny asked me for my professional opinion."
"What did you say?"
"To let you crash a rehearsal, see how fast you can learn the steps, how you interact with the five of them, and see if Nicky does better. They have another hour and a half to eat. Have you seen or learned any of the steps?"
"Nick sent me a tape of the steps. I know the set is about an hour and fifteen minutes long."
"Let's go through the whole set and see where you need help, other than the slower songs."
I nod and finish my burger, taking a big gulp of my cherry coke. I get up and we go through the routine. "The only thing you need to get better at it the hat routine for 'All I Have To Give', the chair routine for 'As Long As You Love Me' and the first ten counts of 'Get Down'. Other than that, you're going to whip that boy's butt into shape." 
Someone is clapping in the third row. "I say we fire the boys and let her do the shows." It's Johnny.
"Johnny! How ya been?"
"I'm good, Jazz. I think Fatima could use the help with Nicky."
"Sure. She just has to breakdown the steps for the hat and chair routines and the first ten counts of the song she said."
"You know you'd have to have at least one guardian named while you're on the road with them? Then they have to meet your mom, we'll have to set up a tutor, and where you'd bunk. You have 3 1/2 months to do everything."
"How about I get even further ahead in my school work so that I'm done with all work up until February vacation next year, deal with Ma meeting em, working out the guardian thing with them and find a compromise with the whole bunk thing?"
"You have to update me through either JC, Lance or Jane every two or three weeks."
I smile. "Sure. Just need a letter to give to the school so I can get the work early."
"I can do that today. Which school do you attend?"
"The same one as Tyler, JC's brother."
"Ok. JC will give me the principal's information and the number for the school."
He steps over to the edge of the stage and I lay belly down to shake hands, both of us smiling. He steps back and I get up to see Fatima and the boys looking me like I'm crazy. I shrug. "What?"
Nick shakes his head. "Are you sure you can get that far ahead?"
"Nick, I've made up all the work from January and I'm already working on assignments for April."
"That's two months from now."
"All I have left is my math homework and I'm down to the last three days worth of work for all of April. I can get through May's work by the end of the first week in March, finish June's work by the end of March and start on next year's assignments in April. First three month's of work can be done by the end of May. I rock when it comes to English, history and science. Math will take longer, being the last thing I do." I text JC, 'Starting rehearsal. No contact unless emergency.'
He sends back, 'Ok.' 
I get Nick to focus until we get a 15 minutes break and then he goofs off when we start back up. I pull him aside. "Nick, look at me." He looks in my eyes, smiling. "You really want me to go on the US tour with you, right?"
"Of course."
"Bust your ass, so he," I point a finger at Johnny,"knows it's not just for our friendship or whatever you're planning up in that brain of yours. Obviously, Fatima found everything about me and even spoke to Johnny and Darren! Get these steps down. You know them, I know them and we both KNOW you can pin em."
He bobs his head, understanding my point and position in the whole thing. We fall back into place and he really works at and focuses on the moves. He really busted his ass for about four hours, drenched in sweat and doesn't complain. Fatima looks at me, Johnny and back at me before smiling, bobbing her head in complete approval. AJ whines. "I'm hungry!"
"I am too. I'm not whining about it though. You remind me of my cousins, niece and nephew."
Fatima looks at me. "You pick what to order in." 
"Pizza?"
She pulls out her cell and orders seven pizzas, all different toppings and larges. "Chip in, boys." They groan and chip for their pizzas. I go to chip my bit in and she tells me no.
Kevin looks at me. "Put whiny AJ out of his misery and you'll have paid for your Burger King and pizza."
I start goofing off with AJ as he starts whining, not even trying to defend himself or move. "You're such a baby, AJ." I turn to Nick and start tickling him. "Come on, Icky."
"I hate that nickname!"
I do 3 back handsprings into a round off and a flip. "Prove it, catch me. We have two hours before the show. We can just have fun between now and then, right?" I question, my eyes passing over Johnny and Fatima as they nod their consent. 
Nick lays on his back, on the stage after stripping his wife beater off. He has a nice body, showing he's in shape. He puts his hands behind his head and closes his eyes. I sneak up and stand with one foot on either side of his waist, looking at AJ who instigates me to tickle Nick at the bottom of his ribs (his most sensitive ticklish spot). I bend at the waist to do it and he causes my knees to buckle by pulling them toward himself, making me land over his waist. I blush and Nick flips me over onto my back to tickle me as he kneels between my legs. "Gonna stop tickling me?" I nod, laughing hysterically. "I can't hear you. Gonna stop?" He inches his face closer with every word, laughing. I try pushing away from him using my heels and he holds my hip with one hand, pinning me. He's still tickling me with his free hand as his knee brushes the back of my thigh. 
"I'll stop," I manage to say between high pitched giggles. He stops and quickly realizes how close his face is to mine and the position we're in, we turn crimson red. We both sit up, put a little space between ourselves and AJ laughs his ass off from his spot on the stage. "Shut up, AJ."
"You two should look at each other, you'll probably laugh at how red you are!"
We look at each and prove AJ right, laughing at how red the other is, we fall over from laughter next to each other. "I like how we can have a weird moment like that and laugh afterward. You ok?" Nick smiles.
"I'll be alright." We sit next to each other and start whispering when someone turns on the radio and the dj starts talking.
"-studio, Lenny Kravitz. Thank you for coming down today."
Lenny laughs and I smile. God, I love any noise that man can pass over his lips, almost. "Thanks for having me."
"We hear your album 'Circus' is doing well and you're currently on tour to promote it in Europe."
"Yeah, it's doing phenomenally. I'm working on my next one, '5' and stopped into a record shop, where I was struck by inspiration. I wrote a song after seeing these two teenagers listen to me sing. She let him wrap his arms around her and just stayed there. They're beautiful together and I hope something helps them realize what they truly have." 
I turn to Nick. "Is he referring to-no."
Lenny laughs. "They aren't from here. She's been a fan of mine since my days as Romeo Blue. Seeing them prompted me to write 'I Belong To You', along with a couple other songs."
"When can we expect this album to be released?"
"Next spring and I'm excited to have it released because I wrote most of the material on it."
"Thank you for coming, Lenny. Stick around for our hour long interview with our guest at eight twenty-five!" The dj signs off and plays 'Can't Get You Off My Mind'. 
I turn beet red and my jaw hits the floor. I whip around to face Nick and blurt out,"He was talking about us!"
Johnny walks over to us as Fatima voices her confusion, "What do you mean Lenny Kravitz was talking about you?"
I'm snapping my finger. "Howie, can I see the video cameras?"
"Sure. I copied those tapes already. Here," he says as he walks over to hand me the camcorders. I play the part where Lenny sings to us and hugs me the first time. 
"That's what I mean!"
Johnny smiles and tells us he'll be watching the boys tonight. Fatima just gets a light smile on her face before walking away. Nick shrugs it off, smiling. "I'm glad he became inspired."
I roll my eyes and change the subject. "Where's the pizza? I'm about ready to beat AJ senseless just cuz I'm bored and impatient."
"Do it, squirt, and I'll have Nicky pin you again."
I make sure nobody but Nick and AJ can see me flipping him off. "Do that, shopaholic, and I will hog tie you on tour." Nick pushes my arm down as Kevin turns around.
Kevin looks at me before turning to AJ. "What do you say about her being on tour with us for six months?"
"Me, Jazzy, you four, and Fatima in a mobile hotel for six months straight? Are fucking insane?"
"It's five to one."
"What? Why?!"
"She keeps Nick in line, focused and makes him do what he has to."
"So I'm the only one that sees what might fucking happen? What if he knocks her up?"
"AJ, I don't think she'd even let him touch her anywhere she isn't comfortable. Notice how quick she jumped away from him a little while ago."
"But still, Kevin!"
"Brian, Howie and myself will keep a close eye on them."
I pull Nick's arm. "We should practice a little more. Fatima, can you help us get the steps down?"
She nods and Nick shrugs. We practice the pieces that slip Nick and I up. Kent comes up with the pizzas about twenty minutes later and I break formation, screaming, "FOOD!"
AJ, Brian, Howie, Kevin, Nick and Fatima laugh as I grab the boxes and line them up on the stage looking for the pepperoni and cheese pizzas. She ordered Hawaiian, everything (no anchovies), cheese, pepperoni, extra cheese, meat, and veggie pizzas. We talk and eat, laughing the whole time. I'm telling them funny stories about myself and they're sharing some about themselves with me. AJ starts to warm up to me and smiles. "Ok, ok, ok! I cave! She can tour with us, but one condition stands!"
I'm curious as all hell. "I'll bite."
"The minute you annoy me, you and Nick are separated between rehearsals! Deal, squirt?" He holds his hand out to shake on it.
"Only if you stop calling me squirt." I hold my hand back.
He bobs his head back and forth, deciding, until Kevin, Howie and Brian slap him. "Alright, deal." We shake on it and finish eating.
Fatima claps her hands, throws a security pass around my neck and shoves us back stage. "Boys, get dressed and Jazz, wait in the game room."
I look around the room and spot the Sega and Nintendo systems. "I'll be cool here." 
"You have half an hour, Nick asked you to see him onto the stage."
"Ok, but will we be back at the hotel before 11?"
"Yes. They perform from 7:30-9:45, load up in the van by 10:20, and back at the hotel by 10:45. Do you have a curfew?"
"Yes, JC said by 11 I have to pop my head in his room and Nick can stay with me until I fall asleep in mine."
Fatima nods. "You'll be there by curfew."
I smile and she leaves the room. I call JC. "Hey, Jazz."
"I swear he wants to be with me."
He laughs. "He likes you alot."
"I like him too."
"Why do you swear he wants to be with you?"
"He wants me to see him onto the stage."
"Maybe you put his nerves at ease?"
"Whatever the reason, we've gotten wicked close today and I'm getting nervous around him, butterflies in my stomach kinda thing."
"He probably feels the same when it comes to you."
"How do you know this?"
"I see it in Joey and Chris, making it easy to spot in other people. Joey gets like that around Kelly and Chris around Dani. Neither of you let it show to the other. You make each other smile and can talk forever. Who's to say it won't get bigger?"
I fall back on the couch, my body laying across all the seats. "What do you mean?"
"Who knows what it might turn into?"
"I told James about me liking Nick and he was happy about it."
"That's why he's been happy go lucky all afternoon?"
"I guess so."
"Every time someone asks he says that it's just a good day."
"He's strange."
"Would you give him a chance?"
"Nick or James?"
"Nick."
"If Nick would ask a few months from now, more than likely, yes." JC tells me that Justin's the only one out of the loop and it's a good thing, making sure to ramble off reasons why it's a good thing that he doesn't know until after they get back home. Kent knocks on the door. "I gotta go see the cutie to the stage."
He laughs. "Pop in my room when you get back."
"Nick cleared to stay till I fall asleep?"
"Yes, now go!" He hangs up and I roll off the couch to get up. 
Kent stands over me. "Nick is a 'cutie'?"
"Shhh! Don't inflate his ego." We laugh. "I like him."
"You also make sure he does what he has to, keep him out of trouble and he's happy when you're around."
"Really?"
"Yes, he's usually rambunctious and driving us all insane."
"In that case, you're welcome."
"Go see Nick off to that stage because he said until he hugs you, he won't go on stage." 
I nod and run ahead to see Nick. A stage hand tells the Boys they have 5 minutes until they go on. He looks nervous. I lace my fingers with Nick's and he turns around, surprised. He gratefully wraps his arms around me. "I'm so nervous right now," he whispers in my ear.
I pull back from him so I can see his face. "You've been doing this for 4 years and those are your guys' fans, screaming for the five of you. You guys can do this. Nick, just do your best and I'll support you guys from back here, especially you, Nick." I flash a reassuring smile for him.
He gives me a weak smile. "What if-"
I put a hand up to stop him. "None of that. You'll do great. I'm sure of it."
He takes a deep, but shaky breath. "You're right, we'll do great."
"Believe it cuz I do."
He smiles and hugs me until the stage hand says they have 30 seconds. They countdown and I yell good luck to the five of them as they go on stage. I spend the next two hours watching from the side stage, including the encore, while doing my math homework. I know that I made it through Algebra I-A and working my way through the second part of it, meaning Geometry (a math I'm good at) is next year. JC always rags on me to pay attention in class, but it's just so fucking boring. JC, Justin and Lance all agree that math is an evil, diabolical subject. Kind of like Lord Zedd to our Angel Grove (I know, one hell of an analogy). I finish the last of my math homework as they finish the song before the encore. I stand up and smile as they come off stage for the ten minute break before their encore. "What did you think?"
"It looked great and you did great, like I said."
He hugs me. "Couple more songs and we're outta here."
I breathe in his post-show smell. "You're gonna have time to shower before we leave, right?"
"Yeah," he tells me mid-laugh.
"Otherwise, you'd have to shower when we get back to the hotel."
"I never got my Dolphins jacket back."
"I'll give it to you when we meet in Orlando."
"JC says you like me alot."
"Yeah."
"You're scared."
"No, I'm just not ready yet."
He shrugs. "Patience helps the heart understand."
A stage hand tells Nick he has two minutes and he goes to change his clothes, hugging me again on the way back on stage. "First Lenny goes cryptic, then JC and now him?"
They play the couple songs and they all shower, Nick going first so he and I can get some game time in while we wait. "You any good at Mario Brothers?"
"Cheah!"
"Just my kinda girl!"
We play until Kevin says it's time to go. We shut it down and head out after grabbing our bags. Nick and I climb in the third row seats of the van and I lean on him as we talk. "Nick! Jazzy!" I wake up and see Howie waking us up.
"Nick, we have to head upstairs to my room, so you can put me back to sleep."
"What do you mean, mijita?"
"He sits behind me, holds me and rubs my back till I fall asleep. JC supervises. I call him Daddy C for a reason."
Nick wakes up at the mention of JC's name. "What time is it, Howie?"
"It's ten of 11."
"Call him, Jazz."
I pull out my cell and call JC as we head inside the hotel. "Hey, we just got to the hotel. At the elevators now."
"Hello to you too. That's fine. I figured to give you until half past before I start to get upset or worried."
"Nick didn't want you mad at him."
"Nick is in the clear."
"He told me to call you."
"Smart choice."
"Just gonna cut through your room, too tired."
"Alright, see you soon."
"Mmmm."
Howie taps my shoulder and hands me two VHS tapes, I stick em in my bag. Nick leads me to JC's room. "She's exhausted and has the tapes, but I think tomorrow would be better to watch em."
"Alright. Get her in bed."
I'm half asleep so Nick picks me up and carries me to my bed. He covers me with an extra blanket and runs his fingers through my hair to get me back to sleep, looking at my face. I put my hand in his and he let me lace my fingers between his, his thumb rubbing back and forth between our palms. "She asleep yet?"
"Almost."
"Take your time, Nick. It's not like I can't see and hear what you're doing."
"I know. Thanks, JC. The quiet probably gets to you."
"The silence can be unnerving."
"She told me about Stockholm."
"The club?"
"Yeah."
"That's why it's unnerving for me."
"I think we keep each other in line, you know?"
"You probably do."
"I know she can be a good girl."
"I do too. I've seen it."
"I love the sparkle in her eye and her laugh when she's happy."
"We all love her laugh."
"Her voice is melodic and soothing to me."
"She has a soothing personality when she's happy."
"She looks on the good side of things."
"She has faith in us, even when we don't have any in ourselves."
"Well, she's asleep. She's snoring. I'll call or text her tomorrow."
"Good night, Nick."
"Night, JC."


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story