I've been home for three weeks and I get a call on my cell from my mom. Nick's family has pretty much let me practically move in. What did or didn't I do? "Hey, Ma."
"Jazz, you have until May 5th off. The principal extended your vacation dates." They had extended my vaca three times because I've finished most of my work for this year and next. They've been rehearsing at Nick's and it's the end of the second week in March.
"What for?" I had planned on going back.
"Neenee is sick."
I stop throwing the ball pit balls at the Carter sibs. "What?"
"Neenee is sick."
"Oh..." I drop to the floor, deadweight. I see Nick stop and come check on me. 
"Darren will be picking you up at Nick's in two weeks and I have cleared it with his parents."
"Oh." My mind is completely blank and that's the only word that comes to mind. By now, Nick is sitting beside me against the back of the couch, pulling me close as he tries to console me. "I have to call Josh," I tell her flatly and pretty numbly.
"Ok. I just found out."
I nod, muttering about thanks. I call JC and he picks up. "JazzBean?"
"My Neenee is sick."
"Do you need us? Is Nick being an ass? Do we need to fly home?"
"Yes, no, no."
"What do you need?"
"Sing."
"Sing what? 'Now & Forever'?"
"Yeah."
He sings that and a couple other songs as I cry, Nick pulling me closer. "Feel any better?"
"Little."
"You can call whenever you need me or to talk."
"Yeah." I've stopped crying, but I'm still very numb.
"Lance is better at consoling someone. I'm better at listening."
"I know. I just need to hear my big brother to know everything will get better," I admit, sounding so monotone.
"Justin pranked Joey yesterday."
"Yeah?"
"Tied his shoelaces together and wrote beat me on the back of his shirt." I chuckle for a second. "Chris tripped over his own feet and his face hit Lance's butt." I giggle, who wouldn't after picturing why Chris would do that? Chris sees a cute girl walk by and his attention span shits the bed in half of a nano second. "I walked into a wall, half asleep." 
I burst out laughing. "You would, Josh. You and only you are that uncoordinated when you're half asleep."
"Is Nick being sweet?"
"Nick is. He's sitting with me, holding me and just being here as a friend."
"Good. Hear anything else about your family?"
"My cousin 'Renny is coming to get me here in two weeks."
"At Nick's house?"
"Yeah, Tampa."
"I hope your Neenee gets better."
"Thanks. Have James call me when he gets a few minutes?"
"Sure. It's not going to be for a few hours. I have to go, Lou just got here," he says the last part with complete disgust.
"Tell him to text me."
"I will," he confirms, hanging up.
I have flown through all but three months' worth of assignments and it looks like I'm graduating with Tyler and four years ahead of schedule. I'm going to graduate at 14 and a year before Nick. I call 'Renny. "Hey, Sam."
"Hey, 'Renny."
"Neenee isn't doing too great."
"I know. Ma called and told me."
"Who did you call after?"
"Josh."
"You know James knows a Josh."
"Everyone knows a Josh or ten," I reason.
"Anyway, you're here from the last week in March until the last week in April."
"Home for a month."
"Originally, it was supposed to be a week and a half."
"Josh says he hopes Neenee gets better. I wish I was coming home for this long for another reason."
"Us too, us too. I heard that you like this Nick Carter kid."
"Yeah," I play it cool.
"Tell me about him."
"He's from Tampa, five foot ten or so, blonde hair, blue eyes, athletic body, loves sports and is trying to comfort me." I look over Nick as I name everything I see.
"Is he sweet?"
"Very. He has one brother and four sisters, a mom and dad that love him and are proud of him and his siblings."
"You thinking of dating this fool?"
"He is no fool. He's always made time to talk to me, even while he was touring."
"What is he to you right now?"
"A very good and close friend, like Josh, James, Justin, Chris and Joey are."
"If you say so."
"I say so."
"I'll keep you posted on Neenee. Is this the number for your fancy cell phone? Can I also reach you at the house number Aunt V gave me?"
"Thanks and yes to both. The cell is better."
"I'll keep that in mind," he tells me. "Mar?"
"Hmm?"
"I love and miss you, we all do here at home."
"I miss everyone there too."
We hang up and Nick lets me cry on his shoulder as he says some soothing things, attempting to make me feel better or calm me down.
~~~~~
The next month is a blur and Neenee got better, back to herself. It was Scarlet Fever and thank goodness that an old as sin doctor took the case when she was admitted the day after I found out. The fever broke a week after and then she got a cold that lasted for two weeks, but she's home now. She's doing great and it's now my April vacation. It's around ten in the morning when 'Renny, Stacy and I were hanging out and watching tv (I was paying more attention to Stacy talk about her baby brother). "James has been doing so well. He misses all of us. Oh!" she says, digging through her vortex of a purse. "He sent this tape." 
Just then the phone rings and I get up, just to have 'Renny beat me there. "Hello? James, hey!" I wave it off and talk to Stacy. She brings up some old memories and I start laughing. "Her name isn't Jazzy," this catches my attention (kinda), "it's just my little cousin, Sam. You remember her. I'm sure. Fine, you talk to her. Sam, come talk to James. He thinks you're the Jazzy he's known since January."
"Hold that memory," I request Stacy. I walk over and grab the phone. "Hello?"
"Sam?"
"Yeah."
"You know Darren?"
"Yeah, he's my cousin."
"Did you move to Orlando in January?"
"Yeah." I launch into the memory.
"JazzBean?"
"James as in Lance?"
"Yes. Prove it's you." I can't blame him for being cautious and I go in the backyard to talk about a private memory he and I shared (our kiss) when we met in Florida and the one time he and I had driven from the mall home, laughing at 'Renny all the while. "Jeeze, now we know why we clicked like that!"
I laugh, coming back into the kitchen and leaning on the counter. "How have you been in the two years between our last time seeing you here and when I bumped into you?"
We share a laugh. "Crazy busy."
"You didn't look like that before."
"Are you flirting with me?"
"Of course. Always did and always will," I openly admit.
"Heh, you can be such a flirt. It's what really dancing in 90+ degree weather will do. Plus running and sit ups. How have you been in those two years?"
"Lived in Ma and only came down because you were leaving for Florida. Vacations were always more fun when you were home, James. It's so bor-ring here," I whine.
"I wouldn't doubt it," he sympathizes with me. "Darren can be a stick in the mud sometimes."
I guffaw and look at a confused 'Renny, making me laugh harder. "Best part of it, I look at 'Renny and he looked at me like 'what is so funny?', caused me to laugh harder."
"That always did make you laugh harder. It's all because of the face he makes when he's confused. I loved it when he was confused about something we'd both say," he reminisces, laughing a little.
"How and when are we telling your group mates and management?"
"You can tell Darren, your mom and JC's brother and sister. I'll tell everyone else."
"You sure? I can tell Derek and Lonnie."
"Yeah."
"I miss you, JB."
"Miss you too, Lyni."
"Oh, lawdy."
"Thought I'd forget?"
"A girl can hope."
"You prefer JazzBean?"
"Uh, yeah, or Sam."
"See you later, Baby J."
"See ya later, James."
We hang up. "So?" Darren interrupts, folding his arms over his broad chest.
"So what?" I snap back.
"Is he the same guy you've been talking about?"
"He's the James I've been talking about and I'm the Jazzy he's been telling you about," I confirm, pushing past him to resume the conversation I was having with Stacy. My cell rings and it reads 'Christerfur'. I made the joke, he changed the spelling and I haven't changed it back yet. "Ya reached the pool hall, SnotBall speakin'," I say in my Mississippi drawl.
I must have caught him off guard. "Jazz?"
"Yeah, Chris."
"How's your Neenee?"
"She's much better. I forgot to call you guys again, didn't I?"
"For the past, oh, THREE WEEKS!"
"Sor-ry, CK, but I been catching up with old friends and family." I suck at calling people, I admit it. 
"How are you, miss forget about us over here in Europe?"
"I said sorry and I'm good. How goes the tour?"
"Really good. Johnny says we should be state side by Halloween."
"That's awesome! I'm so psyched!" I start jumping up and down, I stop when I realize it's Chris saying it. "Are you yankin' my chain?"
"JC! When did Johnny say we'd be home by?"
"By Halloween, why?"
"Jazz didn't believe me."
"C'mon, consider it's the prankster without the speech impediment over the phone."
"Shove it," I hear Justin tell JC.
I laugh. "Somethings just don't change, huh?"
Chris scoffs. "Of course not. They've known each other for almost ten years," he says reminding me.
"Already?" I recount the years in my head. "I have to disagree with you, I think it'd be four years this year."
I can visualize him rolling his eyes at this. "Same difference. Anyway, I can't wait to be home. You'll be there, right?" he asks me, sounding like a curious child needing their comfort object. It's how I feel when Josh isn't around, just in a way that a little sister would feel about her big brother would feel about his return. Kinda like Nick's sisters to him. God, I miss my best friend and 'brothers' so fucking much.
"Why wouldn't I be? I just need a definite date and time," I assure him.
"You miss us?"
"Only enough to make me wanna tackle y'all."
"You have the same twang Lance did a couple years back."
"I came from Mississippi too."
"Oh, that's cool, maybe it's why you two clicked," he reasons.
"Maybe," I say, trying not to give it away.
"Hey, JC is calling you in a minute. He has a big big big announcement and Lance just had it confirmed. I'm going to let you go so you can find out what it is," he tells me, sounding very excited.
I giggle at his excitement. "I'll try to call you later."
"Yeah, later," is what he says, hanging up.
I wait the usual two minutes and JC calls me. "Hey, y'all have reached my num-"
"Funny. You watch MTV right?"
"Yeah, I'm only a teenager."
He chuckles. "I forgot that for a second," he deadpans. "We're going on it a year from this month."
"Sweet deal."
"Our video premiers November 8."
"On MTV and VH1 right?"
"Yeap," he confirms proudly. I can see a confident smile spreading across his face.
"Of course."
"Mar, we got to go see Neenee," Darren reminds me of our dinner date with our family.
"Josh, I gotta go. I have a dinner date with my family."
"We can talk later."
"I'm so proud of you guys."
"We deserve it."
"Lemme know if anything gets pushed back or whatevs."
"We will. Bye."
"Later," I tell him, pressing 'end' and putting my cell in my pocket.
~~~~~
"Neenee, I'm just glad to know you're ok," I tell my grandma, hugging her tight. 
"Baby, I'm a Charpentier. We don't die easy."
I smile. "You scared the bonkers outta me." It's how I swear in front of her, fucking sue me. If she heard how I talk around everyone else, she would beat my ass till it fell off.
"Have you got a boyfriend yet?"
Is she trying to get me married off or something? "Not yet, Neenee."
"Do you like anyone?"
"Yes, my friend, Nick Carter." I pull out my small photo album I brought with me to show pictures to my family. It's pictures of my friends, Florida, overseas, my school, and my trips to Nick's (Tampa). I show her a picture of him. "This is Nick, Neenee."
"He's a cutie. Is he sweet to you?"
"Of course, Neenee."
"He better be sweet to you. How's your momma?"
"Momma's good. Working as per usual," I inform her, flipping through my pictures.
She stops me on a picture of Lance. "He looks familiar."
"That's James, Neenee."
"Darren's friend? The one you followed around like a pup?"
"Yes, him."
"Have you kissed a boy yet?"
"Yes."
"Who?"
I point to the picture with James in it. "Him."
"At least you kissed a nice boy from home." 
"I didn't realize it was James until earlier today."
"How come?"
"When he left, Neenee, he was a tad chunky. There's not an ounce of chubby on that boy anymore."
"Oh?"
"Yeah, Neenee, he is in shape and looks very well."
"Samantha, do not look at just his appearance."
"I don't. He is also sweet, true to himself and the James we all know so very well."
"What about," she flips through my photos, stopping at one of Nick,"him?"
"Nick reminds me of James, but more of a pull. Kinetic energy, we enjoy each other's company," I tell her as I trace his smile and face in the picture.
"Do you miss this boy, baby?"
"I miss him crazy right now," I admit to her.
We had already had dinner and it was down to me, Stacy, Darren, and Neenee. "Go call the boy."
"I call him before I go to bed every night, but I still miss not being able to spend time with him."
"It's just one more week, sweetheart." She runs her fingers through my hair to calm me. "Darren, you are not allowed to terrorize her about her liking this boy," she orders. 
"Neenee, that's no fair!"
She clears her throat and he stops his argument. My cell phone starts ringing off the hook. "Hello?"
"Hey, beautiful."
I smile and blush as I sit back. "Hey."
My Neenee asks who I'm on the phone with and I lean forward to point at a picture of him. "How's your Neenee?"
"She's good. She's kicking the devil for trying to off her."
He chuckles. "If she's a fighter, I wonder what your right hook is like."
I giggle. "Ya don't wanna know, Icky."
"I figured as much, girl. How are you?"
"Missing my friend."
"Me?"
"Yeah, you."
"What about the five in Europe and the other four Boys?"
"Not as much as you. Oh! From what James tells me, I'm spendin' the week of July 16th with them in Europe."
"When did that get brought up?"
"He called Ma and discussed it with her, Ma called and told me last night, Icky."
"That's cool. It's only a week out of 24."
I smile and begin to relax. "When do you do the MTV appearance again?"
"You have had the thick Mississippi drawl again for about two and half weeks. We don't do that until our video drops."
"When's that again?"
He laughs at the accent. "Sorry. Um, it drops June 10."
"You go to MTV that day?"
"Yes, we do. Mom wants you there."
"I have to be back in New York November 8 for the guys' video drop."
"How are you going to handle bouncing between us?"
"I dunno, honey," I reply, shrugging. 'Honey' sounds like 'hun-nay' with a long a sound at the end, not a long e.
"You called me honey."
"It's a term of endearment here at home, friendship and shows you mean something to the person that said it you."
"Oh, I didn't know," he admits sheepishly.
"That's why you learn, to gain knowledge."
"Nick!" his mom yells.
"Gotta go! My mom is calling me."
"Tell everyone I'll be back in a week."
"I'm holding you to that. Later."
"Later, Carter." I hang up and look at my cell. "Cad ba mhaith liom a dhéanamh gan tú, Nick?"
"You like this Nick boy," my Neenee points out, reading me like a book.
"Yes, Neenee. I like him alot."
"Maybe you should give him a fair chance," she suggests.
"Neenee! Stop sé!"
"Well, it's what me and jupapa did. We knew each other for three weeks and he asked me out."
"Neenee, I'm not ready."
"Cailín leanbh, just let him in your heart." I sigh giving up the argument, knowing she's right. When would he ask?


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story