Author's Chapter Notes:

Finally, this chapter is done...

 

*EDITED*

By the time I woke up, Andi and the guys were gone. I look at my journal and notice it's open. I pick it up, start reading the two pages it was open to and I realize the hand writing on the pages don't match. I look for the signatures and figure out one is Justin's and the other is Lance's.

Lance's note to me is on the left page.

'Sam,

Thank you for those kisses. I'm glad we shared those and I wouldn't want to take them back for any reason. I will try to call around lunch. See you when we get back from rehearsal.

-James'

I smile and look at the other page.

'Jazz,

You and Lance kissed? I'm writing this AFTER Lance wrote his. That's your choice on who you kiss.

On another note, could we talk? I have some things on my mind and part of it has to do with you. Hope I can say what needs to be said.

Thanks.

Justin'

I shake my head. 'Great job, cassinova.' I check the next page. A note from JC?!?!?!?

'Jazzy,

I know you didn't think I'd write in this, but here's my cell number if you ever need me 407 230 6597.

I'm glad Lance was right.

I guess it's almost time to go to rehearsal.

OH! Lynn and I are getting you a cell phone today. The guys and I will put our numbers, your house number, and Lynn's cell number in it. She already has my say in which model to get. Hahaha, you're probably going to want to kill me. Don't even think about worrying about the bill, you're on a plan the 5 of us are covering. It's unlimited and we're going to teach you how to text!

Enjoy your last day of sleeping in because you WILL be at rehearsals with us tomorrow!

Stay out of trouble and my room. Only exception you can be in my room is for the guitar.

Love you baby sister.

-Josh'

"A CELLPHONE? AAAHHHHH! Bad idea there, Josh. No." I look over what he wrote again. "He can carry me in my jammas and sleeping to rehearsals. Ooooooohhhh! Shower and guitar time!" I grab my shower stuff, towel and clothes. I pick a pair of black shorts, a baby blue tank top and hop in the shower. I think back to his note as I turn the radio on. 'Did he call me his baby sister? I'll double check that after my shower. Ma's gonna FREAK if she finds out I have a cell phone. I feel kinda bad that they won't let me help pay for it. FUCK! Probably Josh's idea. Lynn probably talked to Ma about it last night. I heard her on the phone, talking about cell phones and telling them not to worry about the bill or paying them back, it's covered and so the guys and I can keep in touch. Something about unlimited everything. Whatever. Guess I can deal with it when and if Ma caught me with one. Better be blue or black.' I get in the shower after setting all my stuff up for my shower and strip, getting in as the phone rang. I get out before I turn the water on, wrap myself in a towel and answer the phone. "Hello?"

"Andi, you sound different."

"I'm not Andi."

"Oh. I'm sorry. Are any of the guys, Andi or Lynn there?"
"Not that I know. Who may I ask is calling? I'd like to leave a note for them."
"Just write 'call Johnny'."
 I write what he says and hang up. I run to the bathroom, take my shower, get dressed, get my shower stuff together and put it all away.

I make myself some french toast and have a glass of OJ with it. The phone rings again. "Who now?" I look at the clock for the first time, surprised it's already ten in the morning. I pick up the phone. "Hello?"

"Andi?"

"No, I'm not Andi."

"Oh, then you must be Jazzy."
"Not to be rude, but who may I ask is calling."

"Karen, Josh's mom."

My eyes bug out and I feel like a dunce. "Hi, Mrs. Chasez." I smack myself in the forehead. 'Note to self-yell at JC for not telling me his mom was calling today.' I smile, irritated.

"Josh asked me to periodically check on you and see if you wanted to come over."
I shake my head, questioning if my hearing was going. "I don't think I heard you right. did you say that Josh, as in JC, asked you, his mom, to check on me and invite me across the road to your house?" I'm weirded out and starting to think I'm losing my mind.

She lightly laughs. "You heard me correctly." I scratch my head. "Are you ok by yourself until later?"

"Y-yeah. Wh-what time would you like to come over? I mean, what time would you like me to come over?"

"Lynn should be back in about half an hour. Both of you should come by around 3:15 and wait for the boys here."

"Um, ok, I'll let Lynn know, then."

"Relax, sweetie. Josh is just looking out for you because he sees you as a little sister."

"Ok. Thanks, Mrs. Chasez. I will be over later with Lynn."

"See you later on. Bye."

"Bye." I hang up and back away from the phone, totally weirded out. I walk back to the kitchen to finish my breakfast. I finish eating and I go to JC's door, knowing he said I could go in for the guitar. I'm still nervous because it's his space. I knock, knowing he's not home, before I open the door and look around for the guitar. I don't see it in front of me, so I look next to the door and find it in its stand to my left. I grab it and sit on the living room couch. "Ok, let's practice that song he taught me. I wanna know it by heart. Here goes nothing." I begin to play 'Now & Forever', humming along and hearing the words in my mind. I play the song over and over in my head as I practice it.

I must have been at it for awhile, most likely paying attention to the song and not my surroundings, because Lynn catches me off guard. "JC loves that song. Did he teach you that?"

My head snaps up for my eyes to make contact with Lynn's. "Yeah, last night."

"He's opened up to you and is going to end up looking out for you."

"How come everyone says that about him?"

"Honey, he looks out for everyone." She walks over to the other end of the couch and sits down, making sure to face me. "He pulled me aside last night and proposed we get you a cell phone. I was against it at first."

"Most parents would be."

"You're only going to be 13 next week. He argued that he would pay for it. Before I knew what was being said, Chris, Joey and Justin were on his side. My guess is that he had said something to Lance and they agreed that if the other 3 boys wanted to help, they would all pitch a bit for it. They sat me down and we worked it out. Lance picked the company and services, Chris picked the color of the phone, Josh picked which phone, Joey gets to pick all the accessories, and Justin gets put all our numbers in your cell phone."

"What was his reasoning for doing this?"

"He says it's to make sure you can reach them if you need something, even if it's just to talk. He wants to make sure you're ok."

"As long as I have music, I will be just fine. Did you talk to my mom?"

"Yes, she's fine with you having one as long as it's not a problem for us, you take care of the phone itself, and she can reach you."

"It just scares me to think about it. I think I'm going to take some of my saved money and set up a baby-sitting course and become certified so I can help pay for it. Do you have any information on that? Can we find out about that? Do you think that would be ok?"

"We'll have to keep this from Josh. We can find out about the baby-sitting courses and it should be fine."

I nod, put JC's guitar back on its satnd in his room, close his bedroom door, go in Lance's room, get my shoes on and get ready to go. "Ready when you are." We start to leave and I remember the two phone calls. "Someone named Johnny called and Josh's mom, Carly?, called."

"Karen called?"

"Yeah, she said something about Josh wanting her to check on me and inviting us over around 3:15."

Lynn looks at her watch. "We have just over two hours to get this done."

"I have to grab my money. Be right back out." I run in Lance's room and grab half of the money I had saved from my allowances for the past 9 months. I fold it, put in my right front pocket, and go back to Lynn. "All set."

"Ok. We have to go to the high school nearby to get it set up. I called city hall to find out."

"Thanks, Lynn."

"As long as Josh doesn't find out, I think we can pull this off."

"I hope so."

She leads me to the car, we buckle up and she drives up to the high school. I take a deep breath. "You ready?" I nod and we head to the main office for more information. We get directed to a guidance counselor, who looks at us and has questioning eyes.

"How may I help you?"

Lynn looks at me and nods. I step forward and reach out a hand. "Hi, My name is Samantha Charpentier and I would like to sign up for a baby-sitting certification course."

"The course we have starts next Saturday and will begin at ten in the morning. It won't finish up until 2 in the afternoon and it's only on Saturdays. It will last for six weeks, for a total of 24 hours of class time. The course costs $90, up front. If you complete the course you will be certified through the American Red Cross and it's valid for one year."

I reach in my pocket and pull out the money I grabbed from my bag, handing her enough to cover the cost of the course. I still have more than enough to get a few more things for the guys. I wanted to get them each a gift before they left. "Do I have any forms to fill out?"

"Yes, this one. Just fill out your name, date, address, have a parent or guardian sign here, birthdate, and check off that you've already paid for the course. You will be starting the 11th."

I fill it out and Lynn signs on the guardian line just so I can start. We walk out of the high school without a word and get in the car. I relax and Lynn starts the car. "I'm so proud of you."

"Why?"

"Because you're doing this so you can pay for your cell phone service without the boys knowing. If JC ever catches wind of this, he's probably going to ask five hundred questions." She smiles.

I wave the thought away. "By the time he does, I'll probably have paid for 9 months out of the next 12. How much will it cost? I think I have enough to do that."

"The bill is $120 a month for everything unlimited and you'd have to buy your phone today."

"Ok. Let's go do that."

"Ok." She drives to a Verizon cell phone store and we look at the phones. Lynn finds a blue one and the price was good. We go up to the cashier, who rings us up. "Are you sure about this?"

"I'm sure."

The cashier looks up at us. "Your total is $173.97."

I hand Lynn most of what I have and she looks at me. I nod and she puts it under her name. We leave and head back to the house she shares with Andi and the guys. We laugh at the fact that we just barely get in the door, the phone starts to ring. Lynn lets me rush to the phone. "H-hello?"

"It's James." He laughs. "Did you run to the phone?"

"Yeah. Lynn and I ran a couple errands and just got to the door when you called."

"Oh. JC said something about there is no way you're sleeping in or weaseling out of our rehearsal tomorrow."

"Yeah, he left a note. I read it. Do me a favor?"

"What's that?"

"Tell him the five of you are punks and thanks."

"Hold on. Here, you tell him."

I hear JC take the phone. "Yes, Jazz?"
"You guys are punks and thanks."

"You read my note."

"Of course I did. 'Baby sister'?"

"Yeah, you're not my type. It's that or you can be my 'lost puppy' and follow me around, looking love struck."

I can picture him with a cheesy smile plastered on his face. "I'll take 'baby sister'. I should kick your ass."
"What'd I do?"

"Your mom called saying you wanted her to check if I was ok while Lynn was out and to invite us over this afternoon."

He chuckles. "Yeah, I asked her to. What's it to ya, munchkin?"

"MUNCHKIN? I'll you you 'munchkin' when I knock you on your-" Lynn looks at me. "Your butt."

"Lynn looked at you, didn't she?"

"Shut up. You're no saint."

"I never claimed to be."

"I practiced that song you taught me last night."

"I take you read that I gave you permission to go in my room for my guitar?"

"Yeah, considering you wrote it in MY journal and your guitar is in its stand near the door."

"How long did you practice it?"

"I have no idea. I went through it a couple dozen times. Can I ask you something?"

"Sure, shoot."
"Can you get away from everyone else?"
"Sure. Guys, I'm gonna get a breath of fresh air. Jazz wants to tell me something so I have to borrow your cell, Lance. Alright, thanks, man." I hear him walk outside and let the door close. "What's on your mind?"

"Look, I need your honest opinion. Do you think James and I went a little too far? I'm scared to deal with the heartbreak and let my walls down. That was my first kiss! On top of that, he asked me to be his girl! What do I do, Josh?"

"Ok, first, calm down. Yes, I do think you two did go too far last night. Congrats on your first kiss. Think it through. Weigh the pros and cons of being with him. When we come back, we'll be on a tour within a few months and won't be home for a long time. If we become known, we'll have interviews, appearances, and tours that will happen almost back to back. Honestly, I don't think you should get involved with anyone in this industry. Don't take my word for it, but do take it at face value. You're a smart girl and the two of you just need space away from each other and time apart. You hardly know each other. Ok?"

I sigh. "Yeah. Do you know what's up with Justin?"

"He, uh, um, I'm not supposed to tell you this, but he likes you too."

"Jo-o-o-osh!" I whine, sigh and hang my head as I lean against the wall by the phone.

He laughs. "Just relax and talk Justin down from it. Do the same to Lance. Explain that you don't really know them but would love to be their friend."

I hear Joey. "What's up with Jazz?"

"Hold on, Jazz. She wanted advice on Justin and Lance, so I gave it to her."

I hear the door shut again and Joey lower his voice. "Well, what'd you tell her?"

"She should weigh the pros and cons. I don't think she should date anyone in our industry because people that do what we're trying to do are hardly ever around and always busy. Talk the two of them down and tell them that she would love to remain friends."

"I don't know how you come up with this advice, but it sounds good."

I'm getting frustrated. "JOSH! CRISIS HERE!" Lynn looks at me and points outside. I take the cordless outside and sit on the trampoline.

"Jazz." GREAT. Now he was mad. He tone of voice went from light to stern. I flop back on the trampoline and sigh. "Honestly, chill out. You will be fine."

"I know. I'm just scared of getting hurt. I'm turning 14 next week and starting classes and a baby sitting course at the end of next week. I relocated over 1500 miles from where I've grown up. I start a NEW SCHOOL next week. I just-I don't know. I'm lost, confused and scared is my point, I guess."

"This is why we're getting you that cell phone. One of us will always be there for you."

"Thanks. I'm sorry for freaking out and it's only just before three. Wait, late lunch?"

"Yes, we got caught up getting the steps down. We will be home for dinner. By seven."

"I just don't know what to do or who to turn to anymore."

"You can turn to us. You're like family to us now. You can't get rid of us."

I laugh. "There goes ditching you guys. Dammit."

"That's something I like to hear-your laugh and sense of humor."

"Someone does."

He laughs. "If you weren't as twisted as you are, you wouldn't be yourself. Seriously, just talk to them. I know Lance will understand. Justin might be upset for a couple days or just brush it off."

"Thanks, man. I hope they understand and they'll still wanna be friends. That sounds so cheesy." I make a 'yuck' face

He laughs. "I'm glad to know you're feeling better. I gotta let you go, Darren's telling us we have to get back to rehearsal. We'll be back around 7 to shower, eat and hang out. You need to talk to those two."

"Tell Justin to shower and I'll talk to him after dinner. Let James know I have to talk to him after that."

"Will do. Relax, go meet my family, and even though she's going to do it anyway, tell my mom I said not to show you my baby pictures."

"Ok. Later."

"Later."

"Bye."

I hang up with JC and head back in the house to apologize to Lynn. I put the phone on the charger and find Lynn waiting in the kitchen. "Lynn, I'm sorry for yelling inside."

"It's ok, Jazz. Don't do it again. It's almost time to go meet the rest of the Chasezs." I wince. "You're nervous?"

"Of course I'm nervous. I'm almost 14 and met seven new people in less than a week and have to meet I don't know how many more. Why shouldn't I be?"

She points at me and smiles. "You have a good point." She gives me a hug. "Karen and Roy are very sweet and I think you'll get along great with Heather and Tyler."

"Let's hope."

"Optimistic today?"

"Everyday. It's how I get through everything."

"Including with us being gone?"

"As long as I can talk to you and the guys, I will get through everyday."

"I don't know how you can be so strong after talking to JC for a few minutes."

"He gives advice and confidence."

She laughs. "Ok, let's go introduce you to the Chasezs."

I take a deep breath. "Let's go before I wuss out."

We walk over to JC's parents' house and Karen is outside with Heather and Tyler. Lynn hugs her and the kids. "Karen, Heather, Tyler, this is Jazzy. Jazz, this is Karen, Heather and Tyler." She says as she motions to each one of them.

I nod and shake Karen's hand. "Hi. Josh said not to pull out his baby pictures."

"He knows I'm going to pull out the ones I have anyway."

"He said you would say that."

Lynn puts her arm around my shoulders, pulling me close. I look up at her and she smiles at me. "Karen, where's Roy?"

"He'll be home soon." Just then, a station wagon pulls up and a man gets out.

He smiles as Heather and Tyler run to him. "Hi, everyone. Who's this, Lynn?" He nods in my direction. I'm scared because I know what ex-military looks like-two of my cousins and one of my uncles are ex-military.

Lynn gently pushes me in front of her. "This is Jazzy. Jazzy, this is Roy."

He gets down on my level and puts his hand out. I shake his hand as he says 'hi'. All I can manage to do is squeak. "She's scared of me." His eyes don't leave mine. "Are you scared of me?" I nod. "Were you told anything about me?" I shake my head. "Are you Josh's new friend?" I nod. "Did you know I was in the military before you met me?" I shake my head. "Do you have anyone in your family that was in the military?" I nod. "How many people?" I hold up 3 fingers. "I'm going to back off and give you time to warm up to me, ok?" I nod.

Lynn's trying not to laugh. "That's the quietest I've heard her be since she's been visiting us."

The three adults laugh and Tyler pulls me aside. "Once you know our dad, he's not so scary."

"Huh?"

"Once you know our dad, he's not scary."

"Oh. Sorry. I have 2 cousins and an uncle who were in the military."

"Where are you from?"

"Fitchburg, Massachusetts."

"We're from Bowie, Maryland. How do you know Josh?"
"I was moving down the road from him and his friends. He and Justin walked by and I asked if they would help me out and hang out. They called their moms and then I've been visiting at their house since then. I have another day and a half before I have to go home."

"They go to another country Friday. We're gonna miss them, especially Josh."

I give him a hug. "I know. I'm gonna miss his reassuring hugs."

"I give those out too."

I laugh. "Thanks. Is that a Chasez trait?"

"I think so."

"How old are you? 14, until November 16."

"I'll be 13 until January 10."

"Right about my age. What grade are you in?"

"Eighth. You?"

"Eighth, too. Do you know what school you go to?"

"What don't you know about me?"

"Josh said you were new and if we go to the same school for me to be nice and help you out."

"Awww, that's nice of him. The middle school around here? I don't know."

"Heather will come around to you. She's a senior in high school and turns 19 this year. Just give her time."

"I'm just so nervous about moving so far from what I know and make new friends."

"Well, after this year ends, we'll be moving back to Bowie."

"Aw, man."

"We'll visit. I can call and write."

"That gives us just over 5 months."

"We're going to the beach in Tampa on Saturday. I'd like if you came."

"If my mom says it's ok, I can go. You need to check with your parents if I can go."

Tyler grabs me by the wrist and bolts into the house, running straight for his dad. "Dad, can Jazzy come with us to the beach Saturday? Please?" I stand there, scared silent again.

"Only if she can ask herself and if your mom agrees. Well, Jazzy?"

"Um, Mr. Chasez, may I please join your family at the beach Saturday?"

He chuckles. "As long as Karen is alright with it."

"Th-thank you."

"You're welcome."

Tyler starts pulling my hand. "Let's go ask my mom."

"Ok." I start to follow him, realizing he's on a mission.

"Mom, can Jazzy come with us to Tampa on Saturday?"

Karen looks at us. "Did you ask your dad?"

"He said it was ok if you're cool with it."

"Let me talk with her mom. Jazzy, could you set up a time for your mom to meet everyone before Josh, the boys, Lynn and Andi leave?"

"Sure. She's just getting home now, I think." It's already 4:30. I memorized my house number in the past two days. It rings four times.

"Hello?"

"Ma, if you met the Chasezs, would you let me go with them to the beach in Tampa on Saturday?"

"I have to meet the rest of your friends, Mr. Harless, and the Chasezs either way. What day and time?"

"Dinner tonight, around 7:15?" Karen and Lynn nod. Karen leaves the room, most likely to inform Roy and Heather.

"Ok, sounds good. The sooner we meet, the better I feel."

"Mrs. Chasez is checking with her husband and informing Josh's little sister. Hold on a second."

Karen comes back in a few minutes later. "Let your mom know it's a plan and we look forward to meeting her tonight."

"Ma, it's a go and they are all looking forward to meeting you."

"See you around 7:15."

"Love you, Ma."

"Love you too."
We hang up and smile. Karen looks at me. "You still have to let the boys know."

"Boogers!" I pull out the new cell phone I just got myself and call JC. As I hear it ring and mutter 'pick up', I look back and forth between Lynn and Karen. He picks up just before it goes to voicemail.

"Hello?"

"Josh, it's Jazz."

"What's up?"

"You, the guys, Andi, the guys' parents if able, and your family are meeting Ma for dinner tonight at your parents' place."

"What time?"

"7:15?"

"That's cutting it close. We'll stop at 6. Tomorrow, you better be up and ready for 5am and we go until 6pm. Understand?"

"Yes. Would you be ok with picking her up after? I'll go with you."

He sighs heavily. "I suppose. You owe me big when we get back."

"Ok. How?"

"Helping Lance learn the moves better."

"Sure, no biggie." I smile.

"Hey, is this the number from the new cell?"

"Yup, Lynn got it." Lynn and I give each other thumbs up.

"Good. I see you already have my number in it. Now you just have to pass it around and let the others put their numbers in it."

I laugh. "Or they can just write their names and numbers in my journal like you did."

He chuckles. "Nope, that's something I'd do."

I smile. "You never told me your dad was in the military."

"You met my family?"

"Yup. If everything goes well tonight, your brother is INSISTING on me going with them to the beach in Tampa. All I need is Ma to meet everyone and say ok."

"Whoa. Wait. Rewind. What about the beach and my brother?"

"Your brother is insisting I go with your family to the beach in Tampa."

"Put Tyler on." He sighs.

"Ok." I hold my cell phone to Tyler. "Josh wants to talk to you."

"Why?"

"You heard what I just told him."

Tyler takes the phone and turns away from me. "Hi, Josh. To get to know her. Well, of course. I can't because we're going back to Bowie in July. I did talk to her. Yes. No. I wish. She's probably got one. What? You always say those don't work. Nah, I'd rather have her as a friend. I don't really know her. I won't touch. Are you serious? Ewwww." He holds the phone out to me. "He wants to talk to you."

I take the phone confused. "Josh?"

"He won't wanna date you now."

"What did you tell him?"

"That you're like a baby sister to me, which kinda makes you two siblings."

"You are evil. I'd rather have guy friends to play football, soccer and basketball with. Thanks."

"You have alot on your mind anyway. See you around 7 to get your mom."

"Ok, later." I hang up and sit down at the kitchen table, smiling. "Just need a head count and I can get the food."

Karen and Lynn look at me as Tyler touches my hand to get my attention. "What do you mean by that?"

'It's a barbeque. Hot dogs, burgers, salads, grilled squash and zuchini, and I'm paying for the food and if we need anything to grill. Do you need propane, charcoal, lighter fluid?"

Karen smiles. "No, honey. We have everything. We can have Roy get whatever you need."

"Ok. Should I go ask him?"

"Go ahead, sweetie."

I walk back in the living room and sit on the couch near Roy. "Roy, could I ask you to do me a favor?"

"Depends on what it is, Jazz."

"Run to the grocery store? I'll give you the money for the food and what's left, you can keep for gas money."
He chuckles. "What do you need?"

"Burger patties, hot dogs, salads, the usual grill foods and supplies."

"How many people are coming?"

"Close to thirty."

"Can you grill?"

"Yeah, my mom taught me. How do you think I cook for my self in nice weather like this?" I smile.

"Anything special?"

"Butter and 10 packages of zuchini and summer squash. Foil as well."

"I'll walk with you to Lynn and the kids' so you can grab the money. I'll wait by the door." He gets up and asks Lynn for the key. "Tyler, come on. You can make sure she's safe inside the house and then walk back here with her."

Tyler stands up, smiling. "Ok, dad." The three of us walk to the house I've been sharing with Lynn, Andi and the guys. Roy unlocks the front door, pushes it open, hands Tyler the keys and waits for us outside. Tyler and I walk in, I head straight for Lance's room, jumping on the bed belly first to get to the money in my bag and count out what I'm sure is just over enough. "Lynn wouldn't have been happy if she saw you get on the bed like that."

"I'm so used to being at home. My bed has been through so much abuse. Let's go." I fold the money up so it fits discreetly in my hand. Tyler follows me out, making sure to lock the door. we head back to the Chasezs, stopping in their driveway. "I'll be inside in a minute." Tyler nods and heads in their house. "There's $180, I'm sure that should be enough for everything, some extras, and a little bit of gas for the car." I see he's about to say something. "I won't take any of it back, I'd rather spend it to make sure we have everything for this. It's for everyone to eat, have non-alcoholic drinks, enjoy company of friends and family, and my way of making memories with my friends and their families before said friends leave."

Roy hugs me. "You have a good heart and a good head on your shoulders. You're definitely what Josh said you are-a good, sweet, caring, selfless, and thoughtful girl. Very intelligent."

"Thanks, Mr. Chasez." He gets in the car and drives off while I'm waving. I smile to myself as I walk inside.

I knock on the door and Heather peeks out the window. She quickly opens the door. "Sorry about earlier, had a horrendous day today. Come in. Mom says we're trying to get everyone's families here so your mom can meet us all and you're throwing a barbeque for all of us."

"Yeah. I'm doing it so everyone can meet my mom and I."

"Mom's already called Chris's mom, Joey's family and Mrs. Bass."

"Ok, thanks. Who's coming?"

"All of them. Chris and Joey's families live in Orlando and Mrs. Bass just got back from Mississippi. She was visiting family since Sunday, she just got back an hour ago."

"That's how many?"

"Chris and his family is 6, Joey's is 5, Lance's is 3, Justin's is 4 counting Andi, ours is 5, then yours is 2. Um, that's 27 people."

"That's alot of people. Are we all going to fit in here?"

"It'll be a tight fit, but the backyard will fit all of us without a problem."

I let out a sigh of relief, "Good. One less thing to worry about."

She smiles. "How many people did you think you come?"

"Somewhere near 30."

"You were close."

Heather leads me out to the backyard and we sit in the grass, getting to know each other. Roy must have come back because Tyler ran out onto the porch and told us to come help Roy with the groceries. As we go through the kitchen, I see Lynn put an envelope behind the cookie jars on the counter and I start to wonder what's in it. I shrug and everyone helps get the groceries inside. I look at the clock, 5:48. I nod and use some spices and marinades for the steaks and some of the chicken (separate bowls for each meat). I cover the bowls with cling wrap and put them in the fridge with the rest of the parishables. I look at their fridge and smile. "At least you have a full fridge."

Karen and I look at each and laugh. She rubs my back. "Josh has great friends. He counts you as a friend. Over time, he might even consider you more. We love you already."

"Thanks, Mrs. Chasez. He has an awesome family."

I find Heather and Tyler and ask if they wanna sit outside to talk. They lead the way to the back yard and we sit down. Heather looks at Tyler with an evil smile on her face. She dives right into a story about the last time he got in trouble with their parents. I'm dying laughing as Tyler goes bright red in the face. "Do you have any brothers or sisters?"

"I have a half brother. He's older and lives on his own, so he can't be here to tell my embarrassing stories. But I have one I can tell and my mom has a picture to prove it, which I will not show. It's embarrassing."

"Are you gonna tell us?"

"Only if you swear you won't tell any of the guys."

"Cross our hearts. We'll let you tell it. Right, Ty?" She elbows him.

He smiles and nods. "Right."

I take a deep breath and launch into the story. "Which backed up the whole building and the landlord wasn't too happy. All the other tenants were laughing. Then again, I was two." I shrug.

Heather and Tyler are DYING laughing. JC and Justin come outside. JC's looking at his brother and sister like they're crazy. "What's so funny?"

I look up and blush. "N-nothing."

Justin smirks. "He probably wouldn't get it anyway."

JC jabs Justin in his side using his elbow. "Must be 'something' because you wouldn't be bright red if was 'nothing'." He waits a minute or two before giving up. "Tyler, Heather, come help me get the food ready to be started. I have to take Jazz to get her mom in 45 minutes." They get up and follow JC.

Justin smiles at me, takes my hand, and leads me to the hammock between two trees. We sit down on it and lay back, our legs hanging off one side. He starts making it swing back and forth. "JC said you wanted to talk? I know I said I wanted to talk in that note."

"I wanna hear what you had to say first before I say anything."

He nervously licks his lips, looking up through the trees at the sky. "Well, I like you and just don't where to go with it."

"Stay friends because that's what I really need right now. I'm sure that's what you need more than anything, right?" I'm hoping he agrees.

"Yeah, I do. What if we-"

"Justin, live life one day at a time, unless something like school dictates otherwise."

"So I shouldn't worry about it?"

"Nope. Not worth the stress and waste of energy you could focus on something else, more productive."

"You sound like JC."

I laugh. "Then I guess liking me more than a friend is out the window?"
He laughs for a second. "Yeah, pretty much. You just killed that option."

We laugh for a few minutes. I look at the Chasez clan starting to grill the food and look back through the trees, focusing on the sunset. "Good, cuz the last thing I need is boyfriend drama or a relationship."

"Even if it's with Lance?"

"Even if it's with anyone. Right now I need friends, not a boyfriend. I'm not ready for that."

"True. Have you had a boyfriend?"

"Not yet. I don't think I will until at least high school. I have the rest of this school year and all of the next one before I even think of it."

"Do you hold hands with your friends?"

"What do you mean?"

"Like when you walk?"

"No, but I do walk beside them and talk with them. I defend them. I love them. I spend time with them. I write them notes that say 'I miss you' and don't sign them." I smile to myself, remembering how I had filled a whole mini notebook for Dawn and Sherri, telling them I miss them, love them, and why they mean so much to me. I also wrote down why they're my friends and what I love about them.

"Oh. Do you leave it on top of their stuff?"

"Depends on how well I know that friend. The more I know you, the better I hide it."

"Well, I better let you get to know me real good. I wanna see how well you can hide it."

I laugh and look at him. He has a goofy grin on his face that makes me laugh even harder. "We'll see how that goes."

"Deal." We shake on it and he gets up. "You want me to get Lance for you?"

"Please?"

"Ok. Talk tomorrow?"

"Yeah, during the breaks and ride."

He nods and jogs off to get Lance. I lay on the hammock, looking at the sunset through the trees and smile to myself. I keep reminding myself to let Lance down as easily as I can, just to ensure we can stay friends. "You wanted to talk?"

"Yeah, come lay next to me and look at the sunset."

"Ok." He lays on the hammock with his hands behind his head, looking at the sky.

"I know you don't regret the kisses we shared last night. I don't either, but those were my first kisses." I'm trying to figure out how to tell him what I told Justin. It was easier to tell Justin cuz I didn't kiss him. I kick myself, mentally.

"I feel a 'but' coming on."

"James, I'm not ready to date and I don't think I can handle the stress of a boyfriend and a relationship. Not until high school at the very least. What we both need more than anything, I think, is friends right now. I treasure your friendship and i don't want to risk our friendship by chancing a relationship. I love how comfortable I am around you and how we talk about everything. I don't want to lose our friendship because we have a bad break up. I told Justin almost the same thing."

"I just wanted to ask is all. I asked and you gave me your honest answer. Friends is better than nothing and you have a point about needing friends. I don't think we were thinking clearly last night and I don't blame you for being worried about sacrificing our friendship."

We have a few minutes of silence and we just absorb what the other had to say. "You understand where I'm coming from right?"

"Completely. You just moved, start going to a new school Monday, are meeting new people, have to make new friends, stay in touch with everyone, and start a baby-sitting course next Saturday."

"Who told you when I start the baby-sitting courses?" I push up so I'm resting on my elbows.

Lance looks at me. "Lynn. She said it was so you could have some extra spending money on top of your allowance. I think you're trying to save up for something."

"I haven't decided. I did save every bit of allowance I've gotten in the past 9 months, though."

"How much do you get for your allowance?"

"Depends on my grades and behavior. If I get all my homework and chores done, get at least Bs on everything, and stay out of trouble, I can get about $200 a month. Might be able to get more since Ma got a raise. "

"That's alot. Isn't that asking a bit much?"

"I actually made Ma drop it from what she wanted to give me. I have to clean the whole house, do all my assignments, go to school, nothing can be below an 83, help her with putting away groceries, doing the dishes, unpacking is extra, and if I start a course, I have to complete it. Baby-sitting will give me extra money to put away. I'm going to see if Ma will co-sign for a savings account so I can earn a little extra while I save for college."

"Does she know you save it?"

"Yes, and she encourages it. She's especially proud of why I'm saving it. Half is for spending and half is for college."

"You do value your education. When would you start college?"

"Of course I value intelligence, I wouldn't want to have brainless and zombie-minded friends. Not even if my life depended on it."

He laughs. "I can't picture you having friends that are zombies with a straight face. You are strange."

I lay back, smiling. "I know. My friends love how twisted I can be."

"One of these days, we're going to write something about you and you're just going to laugh."

I think about that. "Nah, you guys wouldn't do that."

"You never know."

"Are you saying you're going to write it?"

"I don't know, but I think one of us will and make it a song. Knowing you, you'd just laugh at it and be like 'they're talking about me'."

I think for a second. "You're probably right, James."

We start to talk about music and history. JC comes up to us. "Let's go get your mom, Jazz."

"Alright." I sigh, get up and look at Lance. "Talk to you in a few." Lance nods. I jog to catch up to JC. "You call my mom to let her know we're on the way?"

"Yes. Did you talk to Justin and Lance about what we talked about?"

"Yeah. Justin brushed it off and changed the subject."

"I thought that might be his reaction to it. Is he ok with it?" He looks at me as we get in his Jeep.

"He seems ok with it. I couldn't really tell with James, though."

"What'd he have to say?"

"That he understands and he's not mad. He looked kinda let down. I'm just not ready for a relationship."
"I have one question."
"What'd that be?"

"Do you regret letting him be your first kiss?"

"Regret it? No. Wish it would've happened when you guys came back home? Maybe? Waited till I was older? Definitely."

"I'll talk with him later and let you know what's on his mind, deal?" He offers his hand for a handshake to make an official agreement.

I shake his hand as we pull up in front of my house. "Deal. I'll run in and get my mom."

"I'll come in with you."

I shrug and we get out. I go in my house and don't see my mom. "MA!"

"In my room. You think it'd be ok to go in shorts and a tank top?"

"As long as you're covered, yeah."

She comes out of her bedroom wearing shorts that stop a few inches above her knees and a men's tank. I look at her feet and she's wearing flip flops. I watch her put her hair up, using her favorite hair clip. "Let's go." She opens the door as she checks for her cell phone, wallet and house keys in her pockets. "How many people are going to be there?"

I climb in the back seat. "Counting us, 27."

"Ok, break them up into families."

"We'll start with Josh's family, which is him, his brother, Tyler, his sister, Heather, his mom, Karen, and his dad, Roy. They're the Chasezs."

"Ok, Josh, Heather, Tyler, Karen and Roy."

"Justin, Lynn and Paul. Justin is a Timberlake, his mom remarried to Paul which makes her and Paul have the last name Harless."

"Justin, Paul, Lynn."

"Yeah. James, his mom, um, Josh, help me out."

He chuckles. "Diane, Jim and Lance Bass. Jazz calls him James. My friends call me JC, most of James' friends call him by his middle name, Lance."

"I don't know any of the other guys' families."

Josh laughs. "Ok, ok, I got this. "Chris's family is Chris, his mom, Beverly, and four sisters, Molly, Kate, Emily and Taylor, in that order."

"Beverly, Chris, Molly, Kate, Emily and Taylor."

"Joey's family is his mom, Phyllis, his dad is Joe, Sr., Joey is the youngest, Steve, who's just over two years older and Janine is the oldest. That's all our families. Plus, Andi. she's Justin's best friend and they've known each other almost their whole lives, she's kinda like his sister."

"Phyllis, Joe Sr., Joey, Steve and Janine. Andi."

"You can tell who goes with who, it's easy."

"I can tell by face, behavior or hair."

"Then you're gonna be fine. We're here."

I look at him and jump outta his Jeep. "Do we go in the house? Where did the other cars come from?"

JC looks at the cars quickly. "Janine, Steve. Joey's parents, Beverly, Diane and Molly. This way, it's being held in the backyard."

Ma looks at me and I have her walk in front of me, forcing her to walk between JC and I. He leads us over to his dad, who was grilling the chicken and steaks. "Ma, this is Roy, Josh's dad."

They smile at each other and shake hands. "You must be, Vikki. Josh told us what he knows about you."

"I am." She's nervous. Ma doesn't like to be around more than a couple handfuls of people she doesn't know. I'm hoping she meets everyone first.

Lynn comes up behind us. "Vikki, you made it. I can introduce you to everyone." She leads Ma over to Karen, Beverly and Chris's sisters.

I look at JC. "Does Lynn do that alot?"

"Yeah. Wait till she meets Lance."

I roll my eyes. "Southern boys are non-existant up north. Within a few months, they turn into city boys and are just so rude."

"True."

"Ma's gonna wanna keep him. Maybe Justin if he's polite too. She'll tell me I should be more like them and have better manners. I like my manners just fine. When I need or wanna use em, I do."

"Like around Lynn and the rest of our parents?"

I look at him as if to tell him to shut up. "I use em around you."

"Right." He pushes me. "Time for you to meet the rest of our families."

"What if I don't want to?"

He grabs my shoulders and pushes me. "You have to. They need to know who we're talking about."

I groan and keep walking. He pulls me over to Lance and his parents. Lance smiles at me and Diane hugs JC. "Josh, how are you doing?"

"I'm good. Diane, this is Jazzy. Jazzy, these are Lance's mom, Diane and his dad, Jim."

I shake their hands and smile. "Nice to meet you, Mr. and Mrs. Bass."

JC whispers in my ear, "You remembered how I said it?"

I nod. "Look like I have quite a few people to meet before I can really stop to talk, please excuse me."

I turn to walk away and get grabbed by Chris. "Come meet my mom and sisters. My mom thinks your mom is cool."

As he drags me over to his mom, I couldn't resist saying, "Well, then we're screwed."

He stops dead in his tracks, stopping me and looks at me. "What do you mean?"

"What I mean is that when we goof off and pull pranks, not only will Lynn tell Ma but your mom will too. I'm involved in something and Ma thinks someone could seriously get hurt and hears about it, I'm grounded."

"Pffffttt. Don't worry about it." He starts pulling me again and I follow. "Mom, this is Jazzy. Jazzy, this is my mom, Beverly."

I smile and shake her hand. "Nice to meet you, Mrs. Kirkpatrick."

"So Chris tells me you're new to the area and get along great with him and the boys."

"My mom and I just moved here from Massachusetts on Monday. We drove five days to get here."

"That's a long drive. How did you meet the boys?"

"Josh and Justin were walking by and I asked them if they could help me unpack a bit. I've been staying at the house with the boys and Andi since Monday night."

"You're going to miss the boys when they leave Friday."

"I know. I'll be alright as long as I have music and can keep in touch with them."

"You're so sweet."

"Thank you." I look at Chris. "Josh said something about you having sisters."

He motions to three girls, who come over. "This little one is Taylor, Kate is holding her, Molly and Emily." He motions to each one and I shake their hands.

"May I hold Taylor?"

I look at Beverly and she smiles. "Sure, if she'll go to you."

I hold my hands out, smiling. "Hi, Taylor. My name is Jazzy. Can I hold you?" She looks at me for a minute before reaching out for me to take her from Kate. "Well, how are you?" She coos.

Chris and his mom are surprised. I see Chris and Beverly talking quietly and smiling out of the corner of my eye. Beverly touches my shoulder. "Would you like to baby sit her for a couple hours on Friday nights?"

"Are you sure? I'm not certified yet."

"You're a natural at it. Do you have any younger siblings?"

"No, but I do have younger cousins. They're 2 and 4. I have baby-sat before as well."

"What ages have you baby-sat?"

"From about a month old up to 7 years. Mainly my mom's friends and co-workers back home."

"She seems to have taken a liking to you."

I turn my attention back to Taylor, smiling and playing with her. "You don't like me right?" She coos. "No way. You can't stand me." I make funny faces as I talk to Taylor. "Tell mama, 'I don't like her, no way, Jose'. You don't like me." She blows raspberries at me. "Really now?"

Chris starts laughing. "She doesn't like you, she loves you."

I give Taylor a kiss and hand her to Chris. She blows raspberries at him, too. Joey grabs me. "Come meet my family."

"Ok." I follow him and walk toward his parents passing my mom on the way. "Who haven't you met yet?"

"Josh's brother and sister."

"They're cool. You'll like em."

She nods and walks along side Lynn to find Heather and Tyler. I turn around to face two women and two men. The younger man looks eerily like Joey and the older looks kind of like Joey. The women look like each other and resemble Joey. "Mom, Dad, Steve, Janine, this is Jazzy. Jazzy, these are my mom, Phyllis, dad, Joe Sr., my brother, Steve and my sister, Janine." As he intros each one, he looks them in the eye and I follow his eyes.

I shake each one of their hands and smile. "How are you enjoying the get together?"

"It's nice. Roy told us that you paid for all the food and wouldn't take no for an answer." Joe Sr. smiles at me.

"That's right, Mr. Fatone."

"Joey tells us that he looks at you like a little sister."

"I'm happy to hear that. At least someone's gonna miss me while they're overseas." His dad and I laugh.

"From the sounds of it, Jazzy, all five of them and Lynn are going to miss you dearly."

I smile, gently. "Awww, I'll miss them while they're gone and they know it. As long as they call or write, I think I'll make it. Music will help."

"You're a strong girl. Joey says before you moved here, you were a straight A student."

"I plan on being straight A once I get back into classes."

"When do you start school?"

"I start classes on Monday."

"Why wait a week after moving here before you start classes?"

"My mom has to set up my schedule and to give me time to settle in, get to know some of the area."

"Well, that makes sense then. I bet it's very different from what you're used to."

"It is. This is somewhere between a city and the country. Everyone is polite and keeps to themselves. All the parents seem to keep an eye out for each other's kids. It's a complete culture shock. I'm from Fitchburg, Massachusetts. It's a typical city and everyone looks out for their own family."
"Is that why you and Joey connected?"

"That might be part of it. I think his personality is what really started the friendship. At first I didn't like how he just shoved his camera in my face first thing in the morning. After talking during the few minutes we were in the same room, he's funny and very sweet." I pat Joey's cheek.

He looks at me, semi-annoyed that I patted his cheek. "Not funny, Jazzy."

I stick my tongue out at him. "It is to me."

"Oh, really?" He starts to tickle my side.

"Ah! No! Joey!" I start laughing like crazy and see a bright light.

I hear JC standing nearby. "Joey, you're gonna make her turn bright red in the face. As funny as that is, she's trying not to make an ass of herself."

"Aw, man." He helps me up. "You get that on camera, Steve?"

"Yeah."

"Sweet! High five!" Steve and Joey high five.

I turn away Joey and cover my face, wishing the redness in my face to go away. I pull my hands away from my face and JC is right in front of me. I jump a little bit. He raises an eyebrow, concerned. "You alright, Jazz?" He hands me a ginger ale.

I take it. "Yeah, I'll be fine. Thanks. What time is it?"

Joey leans over near me. "Half past a monkey's ass, quarter to-"

JC looks at him, annoyed. "Enough. It's almost 9."

"I need to eat and Ma needs to go home so she can get up in the morning. We have to get to bed too. We have to get up at like 4am, so we can all shower and get to rehearsal."

"Ok, dad has everything over here." He leads me to the table and we sit with my mom. He nods at my mom and smiles.

"I can't believe it's taken me so long to meet everyone." I rub my forehead and fight to stay awake.

“After awhile, you’ll be able to walk up to everyone and be able to just talk to them.”

My mom puts an arm around my shoulders and gives me a hug. I look at her and I’d never tell her this, but she looked like hell. “You can go with the Chasezs on Saturday, with one stipulation.”

I rack my brain, wondering what it could be and coming up with crazy scenarios. “What’s that, Ma?”

“You have to be home by ten Sunday morning. No excuses, I have nice plans for us Sunday.”

“Ok. It’s only a twenty minute walk home.”

“I talked to Karen and Roy, Josh is going to walk you over here Friday. They said you can stay in Heather’s room, which has been cleared with her. You’ll stay overnight Friday and Saturday. Deal?”

“Yeah. Thanks, Ma. Can I get a clue about what we’re doing Sunday?”

“You’ve wanted to visit it since you were really little.”

“Ok.” I nod. I look at JC, who’s mouth is wide open, and burst out laughing. I push his bottom jaw up to close his mouth. “You’re gonna catch flies.”

“They betrayed me. That’s a family trip!”

Heather comes outta nowhere. “Then maybe you shouldn’t tell mom and dad that you see her like a ‘baby sister’.” She gives him a kiss on the cheek and runs.

“You little pain in my butt!” He jumps up out of his seat and chases her around the side of the house, threatening to kick her ass.

She’s laughing. I eat some garden salad, potato salad, a burger and a hot dog. A few minutes later, Heather passes by me, laughing and yelling back to JC. “If you’re gonna kick my butt, you have to catch me first! You can do better than this!”

I look at my mom and we crack up. Heather hides behind Justin. JC stops, looking for her. “Where are you, Heather? I just wanna tickle you until you beg for mercy and cry. OLLIE OLLIE OXEN FREE!!!!”

Heather steps out from behind Justin. “That’s no fair. You use that every time Tyler and I outsmart you. That’s cheating.” She looks at him like she wants to bolt. I look at JC and he has an evil smile on his face. He could just reach out and grab her wrist, pin her in a chair and tickle her. “Oh, nu-uh!” She turns to run and he catches her wrist.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for the reviews!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story