I know that I've been pretty guarded and random when it comes to my current relationship, but I think I'm going to slowly let her in. She's been through hell, but she finds a way to balance everything out. She is always supportive and remains realistic. Her kids are awesome and I love them. I've been texting Pete since the morning after we got here and he's good in my book, not all there, but good just the same. "Sam, are you considering moving back out this way?"
"I don't really want to, but if it makes you happy, I'll try it."
We have another ten minutes before we get to the airport and we've been talking the whole way about family, friends, moving, the kids, and changes. "Why did you move out of New England?"
"Snow, family, friends, everything."
"Ok, what about if I said I wanted to have you move into my place in Cali with me?"
"Is this in the near future?"
"Yes."
"How near?"
"In the next couple weeks?"
"That is way too fucking soon!"
"We've known each other for eight months."
"I don't trust just anyone."
"You trust me, right?"
"Josh, I don't trust myself sometimes right now."
"Sam, I know you're scared and are getting out of a bad situation right now, but since when have I not been trustworthy?"
"I want to take the whole moving thing slow. I know I might have to break my lease and move so my ex can't harass us like he's been."
"He has no idea where I live."
She sighs. "I'm scared out of my mind, I don't want to move too fast in our relationship, I don't want to scare you off, I know the kids can be such a handful, I like how we stay between my apartment and your house, and I just want some time to think about it, ok?"
"How long?"
"Until May at least?"
"Sure, I will be bringing it up every now and again."
"Just not around the kids, please."
"Ok, we can discuss the details between now and then, a few things at a time."
She nods and the subject gets dropped as we pull into the airport parking lot ten minutes before their flight is scheduled to land. "What brought me and the kids moving in to the front lines?"
"What you're going through, mainly."
"Let's get one thing in the air and clear, I won't do it if you think I'm going to let you 'take care of everything' for us. I refuse to take advantage of you or hear that I supposedly am."
"I realize that, but do you see that I want to help you and the kids?"
"I see it, I know it and I appreciate it."
"I just don't want to lose you to him."
"The only guys you're going to lose me to are my boys."
"Alright, I can live with that. I just feel the need to find out where we could end up."
She sighs and quickly roll her eyes. "Josh, I think it's going to be a long ass time before we make any compromises about me moving in or not staying together. I believe that we compliment each other pretty well, but I've had a ten plus year relationship go down the drain and prayed that it could be saved. I was the only one even trying to save it and then he waited for me to give up before even considering trying to put any effort in on his part."
"I know. Just like you said when we met-you have alot on your mind and your plate."
"More than I care to admit to." She spots Nick and runs up to him. "Icky-boo!"
"Baby boo!" he shouts back, just as excited to see her as she is to see him, bringing her into a bear hug.
"Lauren, I missed you too."
"I'm glad to see you guys too."
Nick looks at her for a second. "You two have a fight or something?"
She looks at me and answers his question. "Not a fight per se, but it is something I'll eventually need your opinion on and we are talking about."
"Are you two even dating yet?"
She looks back at Nick with a smile on her face. "Nope, still friends."
"Then why are you meeting his family?"
"Nick, I wanted to know what I'd be getting into if I start dating him." She has to fib for now, it's still another six months before we plan on telling anyone outside of our families and he's her cousin.
"Right," he says, not fully believing her. "So, where are we staying and where are the kids?"
"We're staying at Josh's house and the kids are with Justin, Karen, Roy, Heather and Tyler at a Chuck E. Cheese. We have to drop your bags off before we head to hang out with the kids," I tell Nick and Lauren as we head to grab their luggage and leave.
She texts Tyler. 'Do me a huge favor?'
'I guess'
'Funny. I don't want Nick and Lauren knowing we're dating yet'
'Why?'
'We haven't decided if we are telling anyone else between now and May'
'What did you tell them?'
'That we aren't together, but we're fooling around'
'I think you should tell them and emphasize that they shouldn't say anything to anyone'
'Come on, 'Ler, please?'
'You should tell them'
She groans as we get in the car. "What's that about?"
"Can you promise to not tell anyone if I tell you?"
"Of course," he chuckles.
"No, Josh and I are completely serious. You can't say a word to anyone, even Aaron," she pleads, turning in her seat.
His face contorts into seriousness and confusion. "I won't, promise."
She relaxes a bit and looks at me as I start the car. "I think he should know."
"Your call, álainn," I say, offering a comforting smile. I place my right hand on the side of her face, following the trail of freckles, and kiss her.
She nods. "Nick, we are together."
"I thought you were a few months ago," he admits, shrugging.
"No, like dating and serious."
"Whoa, serious as in not just kissing here and there?"
"Yes, we're talking about the possibility of moving in together," she tells him.
"Since when?"
"Since we stopped in at his place here in Bowie."
"Which was when?"
"Just a little while ago."
"Who's idea was it?"
"Mine," I confess.
"Man, I think it may be far too soon."
"I know, she said the same thing. She agreed to talk about the details over the next six months. She told me why she's so apprehensive about it."
"I don't blame her, she is just getting out of a bad marriage," Nick reminds me.
"She knows she can't rush into anything because of the kids," Lauren points out.
"Don't take it the wrong way, but she's going to take it as slow as she can. She took eight months to even begin to tell you how she feels about you, two months to bring the kids around you, and five months to even say hi to your parents over the phone. She tells me almost everything that races through her mind."
My eyebrow cocks, completely interested, about what Nick had just said. "Cailín leanbh, tá sé an fhírinne?"
"Well, yeah. He's my cousin, but I tell you everything in time, Josh. I just don't know how to handle everything and he helps me sort it all out before I go to you."
"You pretty much just use him as a padded room for your half-formed ideas to figure out how to talk to me about complicated things."
"That's all I am, a brain storming chart," Nick admits.
"What about when it comes to something that doesn't involve me?" I know, I'm being nosy and sometimes I get told I go overboard about it all.
"I'm usually tortured and have to listen to it. She vents, brainstorms, and celebrates everything to and with me. So, good or bad, I have to hear it either way."
"Shut up, Nick, it's what family does."
"I know, just you do it more than everyone else."
Fantastic! Now they're bickering and snapping at each other. Nope, nobody would EVER be able to tell they're related! I roll my eyes and snap. "Dhóthain, gearr an cad! Come on, do you two fight every time you get together?" I ask, knowing the answer.
"No!" they both shout.
"Nickolas!" Lauren is on my side, thank God!
"Alright, I'll stop bitching about her confiding and venting to me."
Sam just sits back and looks at me just as we come to a stoplight. "Sorry, Josh. I'm just so scared and haven't really talked to Nick or Aaron in a week."
"Know what?"
"Hmm?" is all I hear from the passenger seat.
"You and Nick can take this car and I'll take the jeep with Lauren, you two need to talk."
It's his turn to raise his eyebrow, cautioning me. "Don't doubt her."
"I know she can kick my ass."
"Alright, set the address for the restaurant and I'll drive," Nick agrees as we pull in the driveway. They quickly unload the bags, put them in a room and we head out. I guess I'm just going to have to trust the fact that she's going to tell me, eventually.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story