Author's Chapter Notes:
I know it's slow going so far, but I promise it'll pick up soon.  I just have some ground work to lay first!  Thanks for sticking with me :)

Carter lifted his head from where it rested on his hands, giving his mother a pitiful look.  “Mom,” he tried to keep the whine out of his voice, but it was proving to be difficult.  “I’m bored.”

 

Bailey looked up from her desk and gave her son a sympathetic smile.  “I’m sorry, Bub.  Just a little while longer.”  She turned back to the papers in front of her, reading quietly to herself.  Amelia had gone on a trip for the week, so Bailey had been left to handle the office while her boss was gone.  It wasn’t difficult, but Amelia had a case coming up and there was a lot of paper work to get done ahead of time.  Bailey had decided to take some of her Saturday to finish everything up.

 

Unfortunately for Carter, she’d dragged him along.  “You said that an hour and a half ago.”  He mumbled, flopping his head back down on his hands.  There was a small TV in the corner, but there was no cable and the only movies were for little kids.  All the books were kids’ books, too, and Carter had finished the novel he was reading within the first half hour of being there.  He was ready to start counting the ceiling tiles…again.  “This is a complete waste of a perfect Saturday.  I could be out practicing my knuckle ball.”

 

Bailey sent him a distracted look.  “Hang in there, Carter.”  She missed the eye roll her son sent her way.

 

Ever since leaving Boston, Bailey had a lot of trouble letting Carter out of her sight.  She was paranoid, but she felt that she had a right to be.  Carter had seen too much in his short life on this planet, so Bailey was going to do everything she could to protect her son.  Despite the sleepiness of Shelby Forest, she didn’t know the people or the area enough to let Carter wander around on his own.

 

Carter, on the other hand, had come to the conclusion that his mother was crazy.  They were in Nowhere, Tennessee with a population of old people that made the place feel like a retirement community.  He didn’t see the harm in going to the park by himself to practice his pitching.  Hell, he was certain he could’ve found one of the other boys on the team to go with him if she were that worried.  But no, he was stuck sitting in her office with absolutely nothing to do.

 

He let out a muffled moan and slumped further into the couch he was on.  A soft tap on the glass sent him sitting up, looking around for the source of the noise.  He spotted someone at the door, waving.  “Mr. T!”  Carter had no idea why his English teacher was at the door of his mother’s office, but he wasn’t going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

 

Bounding over to the door, Carter opened it with a wide grin.  “Hey Carter.”  Justin had been on his way over to drop some paper work for Amelia off.  She had a slot in the door that she used for her mail services.  He hadn’t been expecting anyone to be there on a Saturday, but he was pleasantly surprised to find both Carter and Bailey in the office.  “What are you doing here on a weekend?”  His question was directed at Bailey who hadn’t looked up from her papers yet.

 

Carter was a little shocked that his mother was being so rude and ignoring Mr. Timberlake, but he supposed she was just ultra focused.  “She’s finishing up a project and she made me tag along.” 

 

Justin gave the boy a sympathetic look.  “That sounds like fun.”  His tone indicated that he knew it wasn’t any fun at all.  Glancing over at Bailey again, he watched as she continued to flip through papers and type away at a computer.  “I was just about to take my dog for a walk.  Maybe we could convince your Mom to let you come with me, and you could show me that knuckle ball everyone is so excited about.”

 

The excitement that lit up Carter’s face was enough to set a grin on Justin’s own mouth.  He’d taken a liking to this boy, and he could tell that Carter was eager for someone to talk to.

 

“Mom?  Did you hear that?”  Carter bounded over to the reception desk again, reaching out to touch his mother’s shoulder so he could get her attention.  She was acting very strangely, but she’d been that way since the move to Tennessee.  He wanted to get out of this office, though, and he was praying that his Mom would let him go with Mr. Timberlake.  “Can I go?”

 

Bailey finally looked away from her work.  “Oh, Carter, I couldn’t ask Mr. Timberlake to do that.  Besides, I’m just about finished.”  She watched her son’s face drop and she felt badly for making him come with her.

 

“Great, then you can come along too.”  It was Justin that made the suggestion and Bailey inwardly cringed.  This man kept showing up in her life and she wasn’t sure what to think about it.  He seemed nice enough, but she was too busy trying to rebuild her life to put any further thought into things, and he was Carter’s teacher.  She didn’t think it would be a good idea to get involved in any sort of relationship, even just friendship.

 

“Oh, I wouldn’t want to intrude.”  She smiled sweetly despite the whine that was coming out of her son’s mouth.  “Carter, I’m sure Mr. Timberlake has things he needs to do other than hanging out with the two of us.”

 

“Actually, I would love the company while I take Brennan for a walk.  She would love the company, too.”  He pointed to the Boxer who was sitting patiently outside.  “You wouldn’t be intruding at all.”  The look on Bailey’s face said she’d run out of excuses, and Justin was hoping she would give in and just say yes.  He wasn’t entirely sure where his curiosity was coming from, but he knew that she needed to find a life outside of Amelia’s office.  Since she’d moved, she’d spent most of her time working or chauffeuring Carter around.  It was the talk of the town that she wasn’t the most social of butterflies and everyone thought the poor girl needed to open up and relax.  Justin couldn’t agree more.

 

“If you’re sure it’s okay…”  Against her better judgment, Bailey gave in to Carter’s pleas.

 

“Yes!”  Her son whooped, racing to the door and bending down to pat the wagging boxer. 

 

“What do you say to your teacher, Carter?”  After shutting down the computer and following Justin outside, Bailey locked the door and glanced down at her son who was happily getting a bath from the dog.

 

“Thank you, Mr. Timberlake.” 

 

“You’re welcome.”  He unhooked Brennan’s leash from where he’d tied her, handing it over to Carter and watching as the two of them trotted off toward the park.  “He’s a good kid.”  Justin turned to Bailey, noticing her lack of professional attire.  Every other time he’d seen her, she was dressed in skirts and suits; something entirely suited for a city office and overkill for Shelby Forest.  Now, though, she was dressed in a pair of well-worn jeans and a Red Sox t-shirt that was thin with years of love and wear.  She looked good.  Her blond hair was pulled away from her face and he could clearly see her bright blue eyes.

 

“You really didn’t have to do this.”  She felt uncomfortable and she was afraid to figure out why.  It was easier to stay closed off.  Her secrets were better kept that way, and there was no way she or Carter could get hurt if she didn’t let anyone in.

 

“Bailey…”  Her name was said with enough force to get her to turn and look up at him.  “Relax.  It’s Saturday and I was taking my dog for a walk.  You’re not ruining any well-laid plans by tagging along.  Relax.”  He smiled down at her and she had to turn away.  This man was too persistent.

 

“I guess I’m just not used to the area yet.”  She confessed, not entirely sure why she felt the need to explain herself.  “I’m not comfortable with letting Carter wander without me.” 

 

“Shelby Forest is probably the best place to raise a teenager.  There’s nothing to do, there are plenty of cops lingering, and everyone knows everyone’s business.  Carter won’t be able to sneeze without you finding out ten minutes before it’s happened.” 

 

Bailey raised an eyebrow.  “Speaking from experience?” 

 

Justin laughed, a blush creeping to his cheeks.  “Let’s just say the Shelby Forest PD had my momma on speed dial from the time I was eleven to…well…now.”  He let out another chuckle.  This was different for him, telling someone about his life.  He was so used to having everyone already know all there was to know about him.  Any girl he’d ever dated knew his life story because they’d grown up together.  This was all so new.

 

And he had no idea why the idea of dating had even crossed his mind.

 

“See, that’s what I miss about Boston.”  Her voice was soft, but the longing was loud and clear.  “It was so easy to just…let it swallow you whole.  And, I know that sounds like a terrible thing, but…it really wasn’t.  There were so many people, so many places…you didn’t have to worry about what people would think of you.  You could just…live.  You could find time to be alone with your thoughts if you needed it.”

 

It was difficult for her to put into words how much she missed her home.  Tennessee was nice, pleasant even, but it wasn’t Boston.  It wasn’t filled with asshole drivers, die hard sports fans, and millions of hard working people.  It wasn’t eclectic.  It was…safe.  Her whole life Bailey had never imagined that she would fall into the category of safe, but here she was.

 

“Shelby Forest isn’t so bad, you know.”  He had to remind himself that she was an outsider and she didn’t have to be attached to his home town like he was.  He couldn’t feel defensive if she didn’t feel at home, but somehow, he wanted her to love it here, too.

 

“I know.  Everyone has been great so far, if just a little nosey.”  She sighed, letting her head fall back so she could feel the sun on her face.  “I guess I’m just home sick.”

 

“School is almost over.  You could take Carter for a visit.  He talks all the time about his Gramps.”  Justin glanced over at Bailey and noticed the obvious tension that had suddenly invaded her posture.

 

“He’s dead.”

 

“Oh, shit, I’m sorry.  I had no idea.”  Talk about putting your foot in your mouth.  Justin felt like an idiot for that comment and he had no idea how to get the conversation back again.  Bailey stayed silent for a minute, the lie leaving a terrible taste on her tongue.  She had no idea if her father was dead or not and she lived as if he was, but last she knew he was alive.  It hurt too much to think about, though, and it was easier for her to mourn his loss through death instead of the forced separation it really was.

 

“It’s okay.”  She let him off the hook.  “Carter and I miss him a lot, and we talk about him a lot.  I can understand how you wouldn’t know.”

 

“Still, I feel like a jackass…”  It wasn’t often that Justin found himself so flustered by something.  He waited for Bailey to respond, but she kept quiet.  “Here’s where you tell me that I’m not a jackass and it was a simple mistake.”

 

She smiled, giving him a quick glance.  “Nah, I wouldn’t want to lie to you.”

 

Justin’s laughter shook his shoulders and he grinned over at Bailey.  He was happy that she was joking with him.  “Ouch, B, straight to the heart.”  He pressed a hand over his chest and feigned hurt.

 

The use of a nickname sounded strange to Bailey; a little too familiar.  She was just getting used to responding to Bailey without hesitating.  She wasn’t entirely sure how she felt about it, but she kept her mouth shut, smiling tightly at him.

 

They walked in silence for a while, coming upon the park where Carter already had Brennan chasing a tennis ball.  He looked so happy, and Bailey found herself regretting this move, although she couldn’t take it back.  She hated seeing her son look so…out of place, and Shelby Forest made him look like an alien.  He was too serious, too aware, and too mature to fit in with the kids his age here.  Baseball seemed to be his only like to his adolescent world and Bailey hated that she’d taken away so much of his childhood.

 

“Brennan loves him already.”  Justin commented, grabbing a seat on a nearby bench, motioning for Bailey to join him.

 

“He’s always wanted a dog, we just never had the space for one.”  Their apartment in Boston hadn’t allowed pets, and Bailey didn’t have the time for one, anyway, between classes and work.  Now, though, the idea seemed to have merit.

 

“I know that Old Mr. Perkins wouldn’t mind at all if you got a dog.  He’s got about twenty of his own, I think.”  They chuckled, thinking of Bailey’s land lord.  She and Carter were renting a small house just outside of the main strip of town.  It was owned by an old, retired farmer who seemed to think that Bailey was his long lost daughter and he treated her as such, mowing her lawn, fixing anything that broke, and constantly checking up on her to see if she and Carter were okay.  Bailey suspected it was the loss of his wife that caused him to be so…attentive.  The old man didn’t have much to do anymore except take care of his animals and now Bailey and Carter.

 

“I’ve only ever counted five, but sometimes when they’re out at night it sounds like a whole pack.”  She agreed, smiling.  She liked the eccentric old man.

 

“He’s certainly taken a shining to you and Carter.  You’re all he talks about these days.”  Justin’s smile showed that his statement was harmless and sincere. 

 

Bailey settled back against the bench, watching her son laugh and roll around with the dog.  “Thank you for letting us walk with you.”  She was begrudging in her thanks, although she wasn’t entirely sure why.  Justin had been nothing but nice to both her and Carter.

 

“It was my pleasure.”  He smiled over at her and she had to look away, feeling strange under his intense gaze.  “I’ve really enjoyed getting to know Carter.  He’s an extremely intelligent boy.  You’ve done really well with him.”

 

A blush brushed her cheeks and neck.  “Thank you.”

 

They watched Carter for a moment longer before Justin shifted on the bench and turned toward Bailey.  “Would you like to go to dinner with me tonight?”  The sudden rush of confidence surprised him, but he was too intrigued by this woman to not ask.  He really wanted to get to know her as someone other than Carter’s mom.

 

“Dinner?”  Her mouth went dry and her tongue felt heavy.

 

“Yeah, you know, we go to a restaurant, eat some food, talk about…whatever.”  He teased, hoping to get her to relax a little.

 

She licked her lips, hoping to force some moisture into her mouth.  “Is this…is this a date?”  She was scared to ask, but more afraid of what would happen if she didn’t know.

 

Justin thought for a moment, not sure what he wanted the answer to be.  He had no romantic inclinations toward Bailey; he was just captivated by her and he felt a strong need to break down her walls.  Finally, he shrugged.  “Only if you want it to be, I guess.”

 

She made a noncommittal noise in her throat, shifting uncomfortably in her seat.

 

“Bailey, I just want to know if I can take you to dinner.”  Justin was starting to get slightly frustrated with her unwillingness to lighten up.  “I thought you might like to enjoy yourself for a night.”

 

She bristled, not liking his tone but knowing exactly where it came from.  “I don’t have anyone to take care of Carter.”

 

“My mother can do it.”  Justin offered.  “I’ve told her about Carter and she’s interested to get to meet you two.”

 

“I could impose.”  Bailey’s mind searched for excuses despite the fact that she was slightly curious and it had been such a long time since she’d gone out anywhere.

 

“You’re not imposing.  I am.”  He shifted again, gently touching her shoulder and not pulling away when she stiffened under his touch.  “My mom runs a garden center.  She would love Carter’s help, or he could just go along and hang out.  A lot of the boys from school live in the area, so he would have plenty of company.”

 

He seemed to have all the answers, and Bailey knew that turning him down would seem cold on her part; colder than she wanted to come across.  She was being silly and she knew it.  Taking a deep breath, she turned her head and gave him a small smile.  “Okay.  Dinner sounds nice.”

 

Justin’s mouth opened to protest, but then his brain registered her words.  “Really?”  She nodded, blushing again.  Justin sat back, a puff of air escaping his mouth.  “I thought that was going to be a lot harder than that.”

 

Bailey’s eyes widened and she gaped at him.  “What’s that supposed to mean?”  His mouth broke into a grin and a chuckle bubbled up from somewhere deep in his chest, making his shoulders shake with mirth.  Bailey caught herself smiling with him.

 

When he finally collected himself, he answered, a smile still evident in his voice.  “It has to be tough being new here.  I just know that you’re cautious with good reason and I expected you to fight me a little bit harder on it, that’s all.  I don’t blame you.”

 

Bailey huffed and faced forward, watching Carter.  “I can always refuse again.  I’d hate to make this too easy on you.”  More laughter from Justin caught Bailey laughing slightly, too.

 

“I’ll give you directions to the garden center.  Can you meet me there at seven?”

 

There was only a slight pause before Bailey answered.  “Yeah, I can do that.”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Let me know what you think :)


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: boyfriendj love original character justin