Walking through the front door of her house Anna was thoroughly excited to be home for the day. She loved her job. Ever since she was little she had wanted to help people. But halfway through her college career she realized that nursing wasn’t they way to go for her. Somehow her roommate had gotten her to volunteer to help at sports events where she had the opportunity to see countless lifelong dreams of professional sports die all too easily. And through her volunteerism at the school wellness center(she had a lot of free time in college, no car, and an unreasonable fetish for athletes) she finally realized her goal. But it was hell putting up with people who were weak and cranky and didn’t feel like trusting someone her size to tell them what to do. Who was she, all 5’4” of her, to tell Mr. Hot Shot Basketball player how to rehabilitate his knee? Her only saving grace for the past few months was Ashley’s request that Anna be her personal therapist so she would be healthy enough to go on tour this summer. Now Anna was getting back into the swing of things at the office and it was going to take some getting used to.

Putting her lunch bag in the sink, Anna changed into her lounging clothes and set herself to making dinner. She searched through her collection of cd’s while she waited for the water to boil. It had been getting pretty lonesome around her house these past few weeks since her roommate had gotten herself married and moved out. The girls had met through one of Anna’s clients; later to be Pepper’s husband. At first Anna was excited to have a roommate. Pepper’s personality was as true to it’s meaning as it could be; fun loving and energetic to say the least. Pepper was always out having a good time with her friends. Of course she always invited Anna, but after a full day’s worth of work Anna usually declined. So it was still odd for Anna to feel like the house was completely empty and deserted when Pepper spent so little time there.

As Anna continued to prepare her dinner she started reflecting on how much things had changed since Pepper moved out. Before she would never have spent most of her nights outside of her house or her weekends at parties. Try as Pepper might Anna would rather be at home reading a new therapy journal article. Yet there was something about this new group of people she had started spending her time with; she just couldn’t say no to any of them. Reaching deep into the inner recesses of her mind Anna decided that it was because Kendall reminded her so much of Pepper. Actually, Tani did too a little. Zoe did not, Anna nearly laughed in her head, but it was that total antithesis that too reminded Anna of one her greatest friends. With a pop of a cherry tomato in her mouth Anna reached for her phone praying she could catch her friend.

______

Tani flopped a pile of manila folders into the out box on her desk and sank triumphantly into her chair. Kicking off her shoes, she stretched her toes and closed her eyes. At this moment she wished she wasn’t out of school yet and could still bask in the joy that was college life. Her brief moment of rest was disrupted almost immediately.

“Isn’t there a rule about no bare feet in this place? We’re trying to be professional Tee.”

Taking a pen from her desk without opening her eyes, Tani lobbed it in his general direction praying it would hit him. Unfortunately all she heard was a laugh and she knew she’d missed her target. “Professional my ass Timberlake. Since when are nylon pants and cut off tanks professional?”

Justin laughed, seating himself on the corner of her desk. “You know you like a little distraction. You weren’t walking past the studio seven times for your health.”

“Ah yeah, actually I was” Tani said finally opening her eyes and looking at Justin. “I’ve started walking laps during my lunch break. Sorry to burst your bubble hun.”

He scrunched up his nose and started poking her with the pen. “What are you doing that for?”

“Did you have a purpose for interrupting me,” Tani asked. Justin poked her one too many times and she yanked the pen from his hand before putting it away. “If you couldn’t tell I’m busy today.”

“You get off in like fifteen minutes Tani.”

“That doesn’t mean I’m not busy right now.”

“Such hostility Tani. Really. That time of the month again?” This time Tani reached into her desk for her letter opener. Justin jumped from his seat and moved around to the front of the desk where she couldn’t reach him, all the while giving her a cocky grin. “You know I’m just playing.”

“You know I’d get a lot more work done if I didn’t have to keep turning away your ‘friends.’”

“But you’re friends can hang around whenever,” Justin asked crossing his arms referring to Kendall and Zoe’s mid afternoon visits.

“Whatever Justin.”

Leaning over the desk Justin answered, “Wasn’t that phrase outlawed in week three?”

Fighting the beginnings of a smile Tani shook her head, “Why you remember these things I don’t know. But all outlaws became null and void when certain goings-downs occurred. So, I can say ‘Whatever Justin’ as much as I’d like. Whatever Justin.”

He could tell she was easing up on him. Justin still noticed the little things she did that told him she was no longer angry, like when her eyebrows became less furrowed and she would sigh. Fortunately for him he knew exactly what to do and say to make her calm down and enjoy his company. “Are you gunna hang with me tonight?” He asked, giving her his puppy dog eyes.

“Trace in LA?”

“He’s got nothing to do with it. I haven’t had any Tani Time lately.”

Tani patted his stubbled cheek before reaching under her desk for her shoes. “That’s because you’ve been having some Jessica, Melanie, Tiffanie, and Shavon time.”

With a twinkle in his eye Justin replied, “Yeah. I have. Good times.”

“You’re a pig,” Tani laughed batting him with her purse.

_____ 

On Thursday nights Anna always made her weekly trip to the grocery store. There was never anything on television that she liked and the store was sufficiently less crowded than on the weekend. So as usual she was pushing her cart down the cookie aisle looking for the Chips Ahoys with candies in them since they seemed to move them every week. She happened to look up just in time to avoid running into another cart as hers veered into the middle of the aisle.

“I am so sorry,” she cried, holding a hand to her chest. Her heart was beating overtime with the near head-on collision barely being avoided.

“Ordinarily I’d have to throw down. But since it’s you I’ll let it slide.”

Anna scrunched her eyes and looked at the would be collision-mate for the first time. Under his dirty baseball cap and frayed polo she recognized him. “Trace?”

“Anna,” he simply replied.

“You shop here?”

“Where else would I shop,” Trace asked grabbing a bag of the same cookies Anna had been looking for into his cart.

Reaching over his cart and grabbing two bags of her own Anna laughed. “I mean, aren’t you afraid of people coming up to you and bugging you while you’re shopping?”

“Like you’re doing? I know you didn’t ‘accidentally’ almost run me over Anna. All part of your master plan to get you some Trace.”

Fidgeting with the hair ties around her wrist Anna looked back at him, “Sorry, I didn’t mean to almost run you over. I’ll just get moving on down the aisle now.”

But before she could start pushing her cart Trace grabbed it. “That was my payback for the whole, ‘oh no, not Trace’ comment from the other night. You’re cool Anna. Maybe if I keep you around to shop with me we’ll scare off all those people waiting to stalk me in the middle of the grocery store at ten on a Thursday night.”

“Are you mocking me Mr. Ayala,” Anna asked as Trace turned his cart around to join Anna in her shopping.

“For as long as you’ll take it,” he smiled. “Now we need to talk about your choice of torillas-”

_____

Zoe, Kendall, and Tani sat around their kitchen table looking sullenly into the bowls in front of them. Zoe scooped up a spoonful and cringed as the lumpy victuals slopped back into the bowl. Kendall’s face spoke for her on what she thought of dinner.

“Am I to take it the orange chunks are carrots,” Tani asked poking the food.

Regretfully Zoe shook her head, “I didn’t use anything orange.”

“We really should stick to Lean Cuisine,” Kendall said licking the edge of her spoon. She nearly retched at the taste.

“So,” Tani said tossing the entire bowl into the garbage and reaching into the drawer by the phone, “Chinese or Mexican?”

“Neither compare to full blooded-country bred American.”

“The only way I’ll forgive you for such an asinine comment is if you come baring food,” Zoe shouted waiting for Justin to show his face in the kitchen. When he did he was carrying each of the girl’s favorites.

“Thursdays,” he humpfed sitting at the table and digging into his own beef sandwich. “Should I add this to your tabs?”

Tani looked behind Justin, waiting for his usual follower to join them. “Where’s Trace?”

Wiping a stream of gravy from his mouth Justin replied, “Groceries.”

Kendall pulled a chunk of chicken from her Caesar salad. “But it’s tradition! You two always save us from Zoe’s Thursday Night Catastrophes.”

“I guess he ran into Anna last week and they had such a,” he paused, waiting to emphasize the next word, “great time, they decided to meet up again this week.”

“They made a date to go grocery shopping,” Tani asked in awe. “What dorks.”

“He can’t be making dates with her,” Kendall cried.

“Why not,” Justin asked around a chunk of bread, “he’s allowed a pretty girl that isn’t a slut every once in awhile.”

Zoe smacked the back of his head causing him to choke a little. “Anna isn’t available.”

“She’s not,” Justin asked taking the bottle of water Tani handed to him as she took out a can of Sprite for herself. “She never said anything.”

“You mean in the ten minutes you’ve talked to her,” Tani asked pulling the tab from her can and flicking it at Kendall.

“I’ve talked to her plenty of times,” Justin informed them.

“What? When? Why,” Kendall asked jumping from her seat and moving closer to Justin. “Dish, Lake.”

“Damn, Ken,” Justin said, before looking at Zoe and rolling his eyes. “She’s been hanging out with Trace a bit lately. I’m not just gunna ignore her sitting on my couch. That would be rude.”

“So just pleasantries then,” Zoe summed up the extend of Justin and Anna’s conversations.

“What are the three of you so interested in this for? You’ve never cared about Trace’s girls before.”

“Aye,” Zoe said tapping Justin on the nose. “There’s the rub. Anna’s not supposed to be Trace’s girl.”

“Who’s girl is she supposed to be then?” Justin asked before taking a chunk out of his sandwich. He continued to chew it, noticing that no one answered but they were all looking at him. Swallowing, he replied, “Now hold on. That whole set Justin up thing was a joke guys. You can’t be serious.”

“As a heart attack,” Zoe quipped with a smile.

_____

 

It had been nearly two weeks since Anna had been over at the girls’ house. Kendall had continued to call her at work, and Anna didn’t want to say pester her, but for lack of a better word, did. So when Zoe gave her a call right before lunch on Friday she was surprised. Zoe invited her over for a girls night out, this time completely limiting the guest list to four. Anna weighed her options of a night at home with Harry Potter on cable, or drinks with the girls. She opted for the latter.

“Ok,” Kendall beamed, Indian style on the loveseat, “let’s play a game.”

Boyishly climbing over the back of the couch and planting herself next to Anna on the couch Zoe rolled her eyes. “Ken, I’m too old for truth or dare or lighter than a feather.” Beside her Anna laughed softly, the side effects of her martini finally kicking in.

“Not that kinda game,” Kendall replied sticking her tongue out, “a real drinking game.”

It was Tani’s turn to protest, “Kendall, every time we play drinking games with you someone ends up naked on the patio and/or at Justin’s house.”

Setting her glass as neatly as she could on the table Kendall answered, “Like none of us here would object to that anyway.” Zoe protectively tried to cover Anna’s ears.

“Ken, not everyone here has done that before,” she cried before dissolving into a fit of laughter.

Anna patted Zoe’s shoulders lightly, “It’s ok Zoe. I won’t object. Let the drinking games begin.”

Across from her Kendall’s eyes lit up, “You mean-You like him too!?”

“Like him too,” Tani asked eyeing her roommate carefully, “who else likes him?”

“Very funny Tani,” Zoe teased. “What game do you want to play Ken?”

“I’ve Never,” she replied hastily. “I’ll start. I’ve never-” she stopped. “This is too hard. I’ve done too much stuff. You start Anna.”

Anna pulled at the end of her ponytail in thought. “I’ve never had a one night stand.”

“Oh boo,” Zoe said gulping down her drink. “You’re too boring Anna. Where’s your wild side? I’ve never bought my own drink at a club.” Tani and Anna took sips from their glasses and Kendall gave Zoe a high five.

“I’ve got one now,” Kendall opened, “I’ve never been single for more than two months.”

“I’m starting to think this game should be called ‘Make Anna drunk because she’s a good girl.’” She smiled, letting the other three know she was joking.

Next was Tani who tried her best to be deep in thought. When she had the perfect statement a giant grin spread across her face. “I’ve never…kissed Trace. Like a real kiss. On the lips. With tongue.” She gasped when all three took a swig of their drinks.

“Anna!” Kendall cried. “When was this?”

Anna looked nervously at the three faces looking back at her. “Just a few days ago.”

“Did you like it,” Tani asked curiously.

“It was alright, I guess.”

“Wait,” Kendall cried holding up a hand, “Zoe? When?”

Zoe blew a bang from her eye, “We were like sixteen. It was more slobber and groping that kiss.”

“Ew,” the other three chorused before dissolving into a fit of giggles.

“My turn,” Zoe sidestepped the issue.

“But wait,” Kendall stopped her again. “Anna, you know you’re not supposed to like Trace, right?”

Anna shook her head, “I didn’t know that. Why not? Does he have herpes or something?”

“Probably,” Tani muttered under her breath.

“You’re supposed to like Justin,” Kendall answered.

Setting her empty glass on the table Anna stated, “I do like Justin. Of course I like him. He’s nice. Sometimes he’s sober enough to drive me home. That’s always a plus in my book.”

“I won’t tell you the only plusses he has in mine,” Zoe teased, wiggling her eyebrows at Tani.

“No!” Kendall pouted, “You’re supposed to like him, like him.”

“Kendall, we’re not in sixth grade ok. Use big girl words.”

“What they’re trying to say is, we think you and Justin would be good together. You guys should hook up,” Tani summed up. Then she downed her entire martini and left to make another.

Anna sat in her seat stunned. “Me and Justin? I think you’ve all had one too many.”

“No,” Kendall said yet again. “It would be cute! You could be the good girl who makes him normal again.”

“Ken, Justin was never normal. Ever,” Zoe reminded her.

_____

 

Another weeknight and Anna found herself not at home again. She wondered if her couch was missing her by now.

“How goes the therapy ish,” Trace asked passing a plate of frijoles to Anna.

“Same ole, same ole,” Anna replied spooning some onto her plate before putting it to the side. “I had this massive college football kid try and hit on me. I told him he can keep his hands on the equipment or he can work with Arlen.”

“Isn’t Arlen the crazy gay Czech guy?”

“Yep.”

“Nice. Did he behave?”

“Enough.”

“Enough? Now how come I know if I tried any of that stuff I’d be bitch slapped and sent to spend the day with Arlen,” Trace asked, pausing with his bottle halfway to his mouth.

Anna smirked, “Because.”

“That’s not a good answer,” Trace stared, “With your college degrees you should know not to start sentences with because.”

Playfully ruffling the small amount of hair on his head Anna laughed. “Fine. He knew he wasn’t going to get anywhere with me, so it wasn’t like I really had to worry.”

Trace raised an inquisitive eyebrow, “And that means I can?”

“Can what?”

“Get anywhere with you?”

Eyes wide Anna covered her mouth, “Oh!”

Letting out a hearty laugh Trace patted Anna on the back, “I know what you mean.” Anna shook her reddened featured face and stuck a mouthful of corn into it, hoping to avoid any other embarrassing comments.

_____

 

Only slightly inebriated Justin shut the garage door and kicked his shoes into the kitchen on his way to the stairs. Halfway up he realized that he was going to need some water tonight and a Gatorade in the morning. He put a bottle in the refrigerator and started pouring a glass of water when he noticed a bag laying on the counter. He recognized the red Coach heart tag hanging from the much used thrift store find she had raved about for a week. Then his eyes fell on the clock on the microwave: 3:35. It was 3:30 in the morning and Anna’s purse was on his counter. Trace’s car was in the driveway. Justin’s eyes grew wide when he noticed the few Coors bottles sitting on the edge of the sink. He ran up the stair and tiptoed to Trace’s room. Pausing, he put his ear against the door but only heard Trace’s occasional snort telling Justin he was dead asleep. He pushed the door open prepared for the worst. But all he saw was Trace passed out on the bed, fully clothed, and no sign of Anna.

Justin trudged back downstairs not sure if he should be relieved or disappointed. Sure Trace deserved a nice girl. But did Anna really deserve to have to deal with Trace? Without realized he had carried the Gatorade with him, Justin put it away and started to make his way back to the stairs.

“Trace,” a voice called softly from the living room.

Justin strolled into the living room and found Anna sitting on the couch. Or he assumed it was Anna since the lights weren’t on and he had no intention of turning them on. His eyes were just as tired as she sounded. “It’s Justin.”

“Oh Justin,” she yawned, “Hi. I hope you don’t mind. Trace and I are having a sleep over.”

He felt himself smile. “In different rooms?” He slid onto the corner of the couch, flipping the switch on the side. The couch shook and the recliner burst out under Justin’s feet. Anna kicked the end of the blanket his way and Justin pulled it over his legs too.

“He was going upstairs to brush his teeth,” Anna explained. “Must have gotten lost in this place.”

Justin laughed quietly. “Maybe. Happens to me all the time.”

“Oh shut up,” Anna laughed before yawning again. It was contagious and Justin yawned too.

“You wanna stay here? I can drive you home. Again.” Anna pulled the pillow tighter under her head and kicked her feet out as far as they would go. They were only halfway on Justin’s lap. “I’ll take that as you’ll stay here.”

“I can’t just leave a sleepover,” Anna whispered, starting to fall back asleep again.

Justin nodded in agreement and felt his eyes slowly shut.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story