Author's Chapter Notes:
Oh my god it's over :**( I'm seriously so sad, but glad that I accomplished this at the same time.  THank you to everybody for all your wonderful comments and kind words of encouragement.  Special thanks to Ki for keeping me inspired and giving me that extra push. So glad we can be friends :) And also to Miss M for taking up this story on a whim. I so appreciate your advice and input! I hope you all enjoy the last part :)

Seven years later

“Dave!”

“I’m lookin’ for my sock!”

“You’re gonna make us late!”

“Okay, Justin! One minute!”

"Fuckin kid,” he mutters and checks his watch for the thousandth time.  “I warned him.”r32;

I clear my throat a little.  “Language?”

“Oh...” His gaze lands on our seven year olds playing on the floor, and his cheeks turn pink.  “Sorry, Ab.”

“Mmhmm.”  I roll my eyes a little, try hard to hide my smile, but fail when he steps up to me and sweeps me up into a kiss.  

It’s been seven years, and we still grope each other like two horny teenagers.

“What’s the surprise?” He whispers.

He’s been asking me all day, but I won’t give in.  Not until tonight, because dumb as it is, I’m nervous as hell about telling him.  “You have to wait.” I smile as I press my forehead against his.  “You know that.”

“Tonight is a long way off.”

I shrug.  “There’s enough to celebrate in the meantime.”

“Momma?”

I glance to my left and find Mason standing there, tugging at the bottom of my dress.  I smile at him and when I look back at Justin, I find that he’s doing the same thing.  They’re getting so big...the twins.  I can still remember when I was rocking them in my arms, giving them a bottle, holding their hands as they learned how to walk, seeing them off their first day of school.  It’s all gone by so fast.  I mean, of course they’re still little and depend on us for everything, but they’re growing up, getting bigger all the time, and it’s like...so crazy.  I just want to stop them from doing it, as if that were possible.

“Yes, baby?”

“Where’s Austin? Is Austin coming?”

“He’s going to meet us there.  Remember I told you he was going to pick up Mister Braeden and Miss Jessica at their hotel after he got off the plane, so he can bring them to Davey’s high school?”

“Oh...”  The blues of his eyes gets more intense and he smiles. “Yeah.”

“I wanna see Miss Jessica!” Victoria exclaims as she runs up to us, and hugs her daddy around the waist.  “I love her!”

“Well, you’ll see her soon, baby girl.”  He bends down and lifts her into his arms, giving her a long kiss on the cheek.

She really is his princess, and I swear, that girl gets whatever she wants.  I guess that’s the advantage of being the only little girl in a house full of boys...and me.  I tell him he spoils her too much, and that when she gets older it’s going to be harder to control her.  Of course he just waves it off.  I get it.  She’s his little girl, she always will be and I guess...I have to same type of relationship with Mason, so I shouldn’t complain.  He’s a true momma’s boy, knows he can get anything he wants from me when he looks up at me with those big blue eyes of his.  I cave right away, all the time.  Justin laughs and calls me a pushover, but he’s the same way with Vic.  When we’re together, just the four of us, the twins seem to gang up on us at the same time, and we’re forced to give them every single part of our time and energy.

Vic is the stubborn one, just like her daddy.  She hates it when things don’t go her way, and tends to think of reasons why she should be able to do whatever she wants.  It takes a lot of energy out of me, trying to keep her in check, especially when Justin tends to slip her the things she wants when I’m not paying attention.  He just can’t say no to her.  It’s probably one of the only things I argue with my husband about, and I guess that’s pretty good but...it still annoys the shit out of me.  

Mason isn’t so pushy, just curious.  He gets into mischief constantly, opens things he’s not supposed to and snoops around where he doesn’t belong.  If we take our eyes off of him for a second when he’s going through a “bored” phase, he’ll be doing something he’s not supposed to.  He’s a good boy otherwise, very smart.  Vic is good too, just harder to reason with.  She’s not as book smart as her brother is.  She’s the type that learns by doing, a very hands on child.  She loves playing outside, and doing anything that’s physically stimulating.  She freaks out when we try to make her watch TV, or play inside, so we have her in dance, and gymnastics, to cure her slight ADD issue.  Justin and I both agree that she’s going to be the athletic one, and Mason will be the intellectual.

What can I say? We both have it bad for them.  I know why.  Austin and Davey have long since grown into men.  Austin’s been away at college, Dartmouth, for the last four years, and Davey has so much going on after he gets out of school, we barely see him anymore.  

Two months ago we flew out to watch Austin graduate from Dartmouth.  Justin actually cried and I totally did it too.  The fact that he was the first Timberlake to attend and graduate college was a big deal, though.  I know that.  He majored in business finance, graduated with honors, and Justin has been trying to persuade him to come work for the firm ever since.  Austin isn’t ready to work for his brother though.  He’s still living in the apartment Justin got for him back at school, and plans to move to New York in a few months to try things on Wall Street.  Trace is still working with Donald Trump, and immediately offered Austin a spot at his firm when he graduated. Austin...he’s exactly like Justin, smart, and independent.  He’s also grown into one of the most handsome men I’ve ever laid my eyes on.

By the end of the year, our Austin is going to be clear across the country again, only...for good this time.  Trace has assured us that he’ll help get Austin set up when he makes the move, we’re not worried about that.  We’re just worried about him partying every night and hooking up with every hot woman he comes in contact with.  I hate to say it, but our Austin has become a little ladies man.  I think I’ve stared down, and put the fear of God in every girl he’s brought through this door since he hit the tenth grade.  I worry about him getting his heart broken or becoming too wrapped up in Wall Street life, like Justin used to be, but he’s not a little boy anymore, and we’ve given him the resources to do whatever he wants with his life.  

Aside from his romantic life, I know he’ll do well on his own in the finance world, and with Trace to prevent him from making a huge mistake, he can’t go wrong.  I guess I’ll just miss him...a lot.  He won’t be home for college breaks anymore.  He’ll be living in New York and might come home for holidays.  Justin says he’ll fly out there and force him on the plane if he has to.  

My husband still tries to act like such a hard ass sometimes, but I know how much of a soft spot he has for his brother.  He wants Austin to come visit us even worse than I do, and it’s adorable.  I feel like we’ve turned into Austin’s old, whiny parents that bitch at him to come home all the time.  It’s crazy how much things have changed in just seven short years.

“I found them!”  

Davey charges down the stairs and stops in front of us, panting a little bit.  

“I left you a fresh pair of dress socks right on your computer chair.”  I smile at him gently as I give Mason a final kiss on the cheek and put him down again.  “What happened to those? Is your room a mess again, Dave?”  I walk right up to him and start fixing his collar and straightening his robes, before planting a soft kiss on his cheek.

“Ma-a.”  He rolls his eyes a little bit.  “I was looking for stuff.  They got lost in the mix, that’s all.”

“You’re always looking for stuff. I swear to god, before the summer is up you’re going to learn how to be more organized.  What’s going to happen when you’re in a dorm room, living with somebody? You have to keep it clean, you know!”

“I will, I will, Momma.”  He smiles.  “You worry too much.”

“Or maybe you can just stay here, and go to Texas U,” I suggest.  “Then I can come and check in on you.”

“Abbey.”  Justin speaks up and narrows his eyes at me, as he places Vicki down on the ground so she can play with her twin brother.

“I’m just saying!” I say, guiltlessly.  “It’s not a bad school.”

“Don’t listen to your mother,” Justin laughs at puts an arm around his brothers shoulders.  They’re the same height, both taller than me now.  

I’ve been demoted to a munchkin, at least that’s the way I feel.  At least I’m still taller than the twins.

My Davey is a man now.  He’s going to leave for college in the fall and one day, he’ll only come home for the holidays too.  It’s so depressing.  Even more so because he’s going across the country for school too. He’s been enrolled at New York City’s Fashion Institute of Technology.  He started getting into art and drawing when we first moved to Dallas, and by his senior year of high school, he was designing the wardrobe for the drama club and creating the set designs for them as well.  He’s very talented.  Justin has always had a love for art but Davey is the only Timberlake who inherited a knack for it.  We don’t know what he’s going to end up doing with his interest, but there’s a lot more opportunity to expand his horizons in the city.  I know that, and Justin knows that too.  At least we have the peace of mind that his brother will be there to look in on him for us, although Justin says we need to back off, need to let our Davey go off and live his life without the aid of watchful eyes.

I know how proud Justin is of him.  Davey has come so far from hiding behind couches and not talking.  He attended a normal high school, even though I was terrified that it wouldn’t work out.  The first half of his freshman year was hard.  Davey wasn’t used to attending a regularly paced school, but Justin pushed him, helped him every chance he could, and taught him how to “network” himself with his peers so he would have an easier time fitting in.  I guess being the richest kid in town might have helped him a little bit in the friends department too, although I hate to admit it.  The friendships he did make, have lasted him all four years of high school.  His friends like him for who he is, and he dumped the leeches his sophomore year of high school, like Justin told me he would.  Actually, Davey became one of the most popular students in his class, but he never became arrogant or cocky because of that.  He’s their class president, and does everything he can to help his teacher and peers before, during, and after school.  He still has that sweet demeanor about him, even though he’s grown now and his head is a lot more put together than it was years ago.

I know he’ll do well when he goes off to college.  Justin has shown him the way, now he just has to go live his life.

But, that doesn’t mean I won’t be utterly depressed when he’s gone.

The doorbell rings before I can start to lecture Davey about something else, and he smiles, before taking the opportunity to answer it. Mason and Victoria run after him, hot on his heels.  Those two love to answer the door, and most of the time I have to run and catch them before they open the door when I don’t know who it is.  

“Grandmaaaaaaaa!” Victoria screams.

“Hello baby!” She kneels down and lets Vic run into her arms, giving her a tight squeeze.  Mason runs to her immediately, and she opens them a little wider to let him in too.

“Where’s Pop!” Mason asks her.

“He’s on his way.”  

She kisses his cheek and glances up at me, giving me that look she’s famous for.  The one that tells me he’s being stubborn and refusing any help.  While it annoys all of us when he does this, I completely understand why he does.  He spent the past six years in a wheelchair, learning how to speak, read, and write again.  Now, he’s finally able to get up and walk a little bit.  Not very far, but, he can make it from the driveway and into the house.  It takes him forever on his own, but with some help he can make the trip in about ten minutes.  Today though, I know he’s trying to do it on his own.  He wants to.  He wants to feel like himself again, and I guess I can’t blame him.  

I’m just thankful that he’s recovering.  It’s been such a long, hard road for all of us, and without Justin’s finances, I have no idea what kind of shape my father would be in.  We’re all so thankful for everything he’s done, but he tells us not to be, that it was his responsibility to oversee things.  

It’s one of the things I love about Justin.  His heart.

“Pop! Pop!”  Mason jumps up and down as he watches my father painstakingly walk up the steps.  

“Hey tike!” Daddy smiles as he puts his cane on the first step and manages to haul himself up onto it.  “How’s my boy?”

“I got it.”  I feel Justin rub my shoulder as he says it, and I know he’s going to try to help my father.

Strangely enough, my husband seems to be the only one that can.  My father trusts him, and I guess that’s because of all the things he did for the family when he first had the stroke, and afterward.  In a way, my father feels indebted to him, and always will, so when Justin tries to help him, he caves in.

“Hey Jim,” Justin steps outside as my father continues to struggle up the steps, and puts an arm around his waist.  “Let’s get you inside, huh?”

My father lets him, as always, and my mother and I exchange glances and simply chuckle to ourselves.  I’m sure my parents spent the last fifteen minutes in the driveway, arguing because my father wouldn’t let my mother help him.  

At least he’s starting to walk.  I need to be thankful, not resentful.

“Oh Davey, here.”  My mother reaches into her purse and pulls an envelope out.  “This is from Hannah and Mark.  They wanted to be here, but she couldn’t leave the dig.”

He takes it from her and smiles a little.  “I know.  I’m not angry.”

My sister married Mark right after college.  Justin made sure she got into a fancy archeology school, and she spent four years there, getting her degree.  She got a job at the Natural History Museum soon after she graduated, and after making the right connections, she was able to get a job working with a few other scientists.  She goes on digs and gets to study amazing collections of artifacts in museums all over the world now.  She took Mark with her once they got married, and now, they’re almost never home.  While it’s sad, I know she’s living her dream, and it’s mostly thanks to Justin.

“Cool! Look Mom,” Davey sticks the letter in my face.  “She wants me to come see her over the summer!”

I take it from him and scan the page with my eyes, smiling as I read about all she’s been up to.  They’re in Spain right now.  Some kind of crazy ancient fossils have been discovered and her team was chosen to do the excavation.  She’s excited, happy, and in love.  “She wants you to do sketches of what she digs up,” I smile.  “Justin, wouldn’t that be awesome for his portfolio?”

“Definitely.”  He comes and puts and arm around me now that he’s gotten my father settled down into the recliner.  “You wanna go Dave?”

“Yeah,” he says, with wide, excited eyes.  “Can I?”

“Sure.  We’ll talk about it once all this dies down, okay?”  He glances at his watch.  “We better get going.”

“Right.  Davey, go get in the car.  We’ll be there in a second once the kids are set,” I say.

He kisses my cheek.  “Okay.”  

I watch him walk out the door, and let out a long breath.  There goes another one of my babies.  After today he won’t be the same.  He’ll spend most of the summer in Spain with my sister and then he’ll leave for the city once the fall hits.  Justin says we’ll make the trip with him, take Victoria and Mason around the city, and spend a few days with Trace and Shawna.  It’ll be nice, and great for the twins to see their Godfather, but I know I’m going to cry when we get back on the plane to go home.

Our best friends got married two years ago.  I know, it took them forever, but that’s how Trace is.  It took the guy two years to get up the guts to propose, and even longer for them to actually go through with it.  Shawna is the most patient person in the world, I know this, because I never would have been able to wait that long for a guy to cave in and marry me.  She gets Trace though, better than anybody, understands his flaws and the reason why he waited so long to finally settle down with her.

I guess the fact that she popped out his kid kind of helped with the patience thing too.  They had a baby four years ago, Derrick.  He’s the sweetest little boy.  I would know.  I’m his Godmother.  Justin is his Godfather too.  Needless to say, we spoil the crap out of him every chance we can, and I guess I can use him as an excuse to go to New York and stalk my two sons.  Yeah, good plan.  Even though, I’m sure my husband will catch onto it real quick, since he can read me like a book.

Kristy attended NYU, but she always kept in touch with Austin.  We flew him out to New York so he could go to her prom, and she did the same for him.  I know they’ve always been best friends, but lately we’ve been wondering if it’s turned into more.  Austin and Kristy have always been very private when it comes to their relationship, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up together one day.  Out of all the girls he could be with, she’s the only one I would probably accept in his life with open arms.  

“Are you guys sure you don’t mind staying with them?” I ask as Justin leads me to the door.  We decided not to bring Victoria and Mason to the graduation, simply because of the way they tend to act during times like this.  They’re great kids, and we love them but they do tend to act up when they get bored, and we want this day to be about Davey.  My mother and father agreed to watch them for us, as long as we could video record Davey’s graduation ceremony, and I know Justin and I were both relieved.

“It’s not a problem, honey.” My mother kisses my cheek as Victoria continues to cling to her leg.  “You three just go and have a good time.  We’ll have a nice dinner when you get back.”

“Thanks Andrea.”  Justin kisses her cheek next and bends down to give Vic one too.  “We owe you a favor.”

“You’ve done us enough favors,” she laughs.  “Is Braeden coming back with you?”

“He should be,” I tell her.  “Austin is with them right now.  He picked them up from the airport.”r32;r32;“Well, you tell that boy I want to see him,” she smiles.  “He hasn’t called me in ages.”

“The business keeps him busy, mom.”

She rolls her eyes.  “No excuse.  You bring him back here, understand?”

“Got it,” I smile.

Braeden married Jessica nine months after they got together.  While it was a quick relationship, I know it was the right move for them.  They’re not the kind of couple that plays games.  They’re to the point, know how they feel and what they want, and I guess that’s because of all the years they spent in the military.  It’s a known fact that people in the military tend to marry more quickly, and it was definitely the case with them.  Justin and I attended the wedding along with all of our kids, and were part of the wedding party.  I was a bridesmaid, Justin and the boys were ushers.  Mason was the ring barer and Vic was one of the two flower girls.  It was in Chicago, because Jessica has a very large family, so it was much easier to fly Braeden’s family out there.  

Barbara and Sammy have changed.  They’re a lot more mellow now, and much more understanding of what Braeden and I went through.  I talked to both of them at the wedding, settled our differences.  After that, they started speaking to my parents, and they’ve now reestablished their friendship.  That was really important for Braeden and I, and I think it might have brought us closer together.  We’re great friends now...even, best friends.  Of course we don’t talk every day.  He’s busy with Jessica and his work, and I’m busy with Justin and the kids, but when we do get some free time, we talk on the phone or connect through Skype video chat.  It’s something new for us, but it’s really cool getting to see him face to face, since he’s so far away now.

They lived in Dallas for a few years after the wedding.  Jessica continued to work for Justin and eventually, was able to get into a top law school.  Justin played a big part in making it happen, paid her tuition because he believed in her that much, and it made my heart melt.  I was so happy for her.  She worked so hard trying to make her dreams come true, and she took great care of Braeden, understood a part of him that nobody else would ever be able to.  It was only right that she was able to get a break, even if that break came directly from Justin’s check book.   The hard part came after that, because Justin had paid her way into the University of Chicago, and it meant that she and Braeden would move again.  Bray was excited because it meant he would get to know Jessica’s family better, but I was sad because...I was going to lose my friend again.

We’ve managed to maintain our friendship since the move, though.  They’ve come to visit us several times, and Justin even gave Braeden a loan so he could start his own construction business.  Working with Anthony helped Braeden become an expert at working with his hands, and he’s doing well, has a full crew and a fleet of work vehicles.  His company is one of the top rated in Illinois, and they get a lot of residential and commercial jobs in Chicago.  Needless to say, he was able to repay Justin’s loan quickly, and right now he’s concentrating on making his marriage and life as good as they can be.

He has a real life now, has mostly been able to put the past behind him, and I couldn’t be prouder of the person he is now, even if things didn’t work out with us. I keep telling him the next step for him is having kids, but he assures me that it won’t happen for a long time.  Jessica is still wrapped up in school, and his business keeps him extremely busy.  It’ll happen for them one day though.  I have a feeling they’ll be “older” parents, and that’s okay.  They’ll be great with their babies no matter how old they are when they’re born.

As for Charlene? We speak now and then.  She’s living in Connecticut, married some doctor a few years ago.  I didn’t go to her wedding, because she didn’t come to mine, and she understood.  Our friendship never got back to the way it used to be, even though we reconciled at the hospital.  We’ll always share a special bond but...too much time passed, and too many things were said.  It ripped us apart, and we never recovered, but we both accept our friendship for what it is now.  She’s doing well.  She’s happy, has a little girl and a rich husband who treats her well.  I never would have expected her to live any other way, it just sucks that we’ll never be super close again.

Jessica is the Godmother of my children, instead of her.  Go figure.

Kimberly is still a big part of our lives too.  She comes to visit us every Christmas, and during the spring she usually stays with us for a week.  She couldn’t make it for Davey’s graduation.  She met somebody last year on an online dating site, Paul.  He lives in Wisconsin, and they’ve decided to move in together.  She had to make the trip to his house this week to help him pack, since he’ll be moving back to Memphis with her.  Justin and I have spoken to him on the phone a few times, and he seems like a very nice guy.  She tells us once they get settled, they’ll make a trip to come see us.  We’re looking forward to it.  It’s good that she doesn’t have to be alone anymore.  

“No I wanna go with you Daddy!”  Victoria runs after us as Justin leads me to the door, and throws her arms around his waist.  “I wanna come!”

“But you’re gonna stay with grandma and grandpa, sweetheart.”  Justin pats her head and smiles at me slightly.  “We’ll be back in a little while.  You and Mason can go play together.”

“Noooooo!”

It’s a tantrum, and I sigh harshly.  It’s always a battle with her, unfortunately, and I know that her hypertension is starting to turn into a little more than a “small issue,” only Justin refuses to believe that.  He tells me that she’ll grow out of it, only I know that she won’t.  It’s an issue we’ll have to focus on in the future, but...that’s what comes with having children.  “Vicki, calm down.” I crouch down and smooth my hand over her cheek as she continues to wail.  

“No!” She swats at me.  “No! NO!”

I look up at Justin.  “Now what?”

“We can’t help you baby.”  He pulls her away from me and makes her stand back against part of the wall.  “Not today.”

It’s a first, and I can honestly say he’s shocked me for the first time in years.

Hell, maybe he’s coming around about her issues after all.

“DADDY! WHY!”

“Sometimes the answer is going to be no,” he explains.  “Now that you’re a little older, you’re going to hear it a lot more.  That’s life, Vicki.  Mommy and I love you though, and we’ll be home in a couple of hours.”

She stares at him, hiccuping, her cheeks bright red as the tears continue slide down them.  She says nothing though, and I know that means she’s figured out that her daddy isn’t going to back down this time.

Justin pulls at my hand.  “C’mon, babe.”

I don’t allow myself to look back as he guides me out the door, but force him to pause before we can get into the car.  Davey is at the wheel of Justin’s brand new Maserati, and I know he’s expecting to drive us to his graduation.  “What the hell was that back there?”

He smiles.  “What, you don’t like that I’ve grown some backbone when it comes to Vic?”

“No...I like it.  I just wasn’t expecting it.”

He kisses my cheek.  “I can surprise you too.”

“Well, you should surprise me like that more often.”

He pulls me closer to him and kisses me once more.  “Maybe I will if you let me in on this secret of yours.”

“Nice try, Timberlake.”

“C’mon.” I feel him smiling into my neck before kissing it a little.  “How about just a hint?”

“It involves stamina.”

He looks back at me.  “Oh really?”

I grin devilishly, because he doesn’t have a clue what I’m getting at.  “Oh yeah.”

“Will I find out just how much stamina, later tonight?”

“Maybe.  If you’re a good boy.”

“It’s been a week, you know.” He reminds me.  “I’m horny as hell.”

I roll my eyes. “We’re going to have my parents, Bray and Jessica staying with us.”r32;
“So?  Our walls are thick.”

“Can we just go watch our son graduate, please?” I laugh.  “Horny bastard.”

“But I’m you’re favorite horny bastard,” he grins.  “Right?”

“I guess.”

His hands slide down to my butt, and he grabs it firmly.  “You guess?”

I laugh and kiss him hard on the mouth.  “I know.”
r32;“You know I’m away on business for three days next week,” he pouts.  “I need to get it while I can.”

Justin has opened two other firms since we moved here.  One in Houston, one in Austin.  They’re headed up by two of the men he brought out here with him from Goldman, and next week he’ll have a third one up and running in San Antonio, run by his third Goldman partner.  I can’t deny that he’s turned Texas into a Timberlake financial empire, but at the same time, he hasn’t let his business run this family into the ground.  He’s still home on time, never works on the weekends, and rarely makes a business trip unless it’s necessary.  When he does, two or three days is the maximum he’s away for.  In fact, this one he’s making next week will be the first one this year.  My parents are staying to help me with the twins, so he’ll feel reassured while he’s away.

The new firms have brought Justin’s independent career to a new level.  He has more money now than ever before.  Last week he got a call from Forbes.  They wanted to interview him, told him he’d just cracked the top twenty list of American’s richest people.  It was enough to make anybody get lost in their ego.

But Justin learned long ago that money isn’t everything.  He cherishes the people in his life, not his money in the bank.  We have everything we want, and yeah, our kids have advantages that most only dream about, but we do our very best to stay grounded, and interact with normal, everyday people.  For a short time we considered putting the twins into public school, but realized the curriculum simply wasn’t as advanced as we would like it to be.  They go to a co-ed private school here in Dallas, but we do our best to find kids for them to play with that are outside of all that.

We do a lot of community outreach here, and Justin has helped hundreds of people with his billions.  He’s bailed out several small businesses, and put money into schools, libraries, and churches all over Texas.  His literacy program has become a staple here, and in turn, Texas has turned into a state prided with excellence in education.  I’m proud of us, and what our family stands for.  We’re not miserly people.  We put the money Justin makes to good use, and I know we’ll be better off for it in the end.  Our children will be too, and hopefully learn from Justin’s example.  We want them to be level headed, and decent, and I think we’re doing a great job of ensuring that.

The horn blares, jolting my husband and I back into reality.

“Do I have to let him drive her?” Justin mutters.  “She’s delicate.”

I roll my eyes.  “It’s a car.”

“No.”  He pets the hood a little bit.  “She has a personality.  You’re gonna hurt her feelings.”

“Get in.”

He laughs, but does it.

It’s a nice graduation ceremony.  We sit with Braeden, Jessica, and Austin, and I watch with a proud smile on my face as Davey addresses his class with a traditional student body president speech.  He remains strong and confident as he speaks the words to the dozens of people sitting in the crowd, and I know Justin taught him everything he knows about public speaking during his first two years of high school.  He’s going to do well in New York, make something of himself.  People will listen to him, and take him seriously.  It’s a Timberlake trait.

Afterward, we all take pictures together, and catch up with Braeden and Jessica.  They seem exhausted, but happy to be here, and when I mention that my mom is at the house cooking, that seems to set an alarm off for all of us to make the trip back to the house.  Bray and Jess follow behind us in the rental car, and I force Austin to ride back with us.  I nag him about everything, especially about girls, and he blushes, but answers me the best way he can...by telling me what he thinks I want to hear.  I end up resting my head on his shoulder, telling him how much I love and miss him.   I can see Justin from time to time, glancing at us in the rearview mirror, rolling his eyes.  He thinks I’m too sappy with Austin, but...he’ll always be my little man no matter how big he gets.

Dinner is crazy, filled with talk about every subject under the sun and then some.  The twins are loud, hyper, don’t eat their dinner because they’re too busy chasing each other around and underneath the table.  Justin and I do our best to make them sit down, but give up after a while and let them have their fun.  We focus on catching up with Bray and Jessica instead.  Chicago is being good to them, and my parents are all smiles as they tell us about how their lives are going.

It’s a nice time, but by the time dinner is over with, I feel completely exhausted.  Everybody retreats into the family room to watch TV, with the exception of myself and my mother, and I decide to help her rather than run away.

“I’ll get it.” My mom shoos me away when I begin to help her with the mess.  “Go be with your family.”

“Mom...”

“Well I’m here to help, aren’t I?” She smiles.  “Go on.  You’ll have plenty of chances to help with your father when Justin is away on business.”

“Thanks, mom.”

She kisses my cheek.  “Love you baby.”

I wander away, stand in the archway leading into the family room for a while, watching the scenario that’s taking place with a small smile.  My father has Mason on his lap, helping him shove some popcorn into his face, as he whispers quietly in his ear.  Justin is on the couch with Vicki in his lap.  She’s curled up against his chest, her arms wrapped around him, as if she’ll never let him leave her again.  It makes me smile wider. Those two are something else.  Bray and Jessica are on the love seat, talking quietly to each other as they hold hands, seemingly oblivious to everybody else in the room, and Davey and Austin are sitting on the floor together, watching the game and arguing about something, like always.  It’s heartwarming that we can all be together like this, but all too soon...I know it will be over and done with.  Braeden and Jessica will go back to Chicago, my parents will go back to Brighton, and my boys will leave for New York.

Our lives will change again.

I’m starting to hate change.

Especially because now...there’s something else about to happen in our lives, that I’m not so sure about, even though I know it’s a blessing.

I end up by the pool, thinking about it all, leaving the rest of my family to enjoy the rest of the evening inside the house.  The sun has long since set when I hear him behind me, and when I feel his hands land on my shoulders from behind, I smile.  “Hey.”

“You’ve been out here forever.” He leans over the chaise lounge and kisses me.  “What’s up?”

I shrug.  “Where are Vic and Mason?”

“Playing with the boys.”  He chuckles a little and comes around so he can sit on the end of the chaise.  “Everybody is fine.  It’s you I’m worried about.”

He reaches out for my hand, and I take it gently a few moments later.  He kisses it as he laces his fingers through mine.  “I’ll be okay.”  I force a smile for him, but swallow hard.

I’m so scared.  I shouldn’t be.  I know that.  But I just...am.  

“Ab.”

His eyes narrow, and he knows I’m lying.  But, I wanted to wait until later, when it’s just us.  When we don’t have to worry about my parents, or our house guests...when the kids are in bed and we can simply be us...Justin and Abbey, that couple without a chance, that ended up building this beautiful life together.  

“Can you tell me what’s going on now?”  He leans back and I shift over a little so he can squeeze his body next to mine.  “I’ve been good, ate all my food, and kept the kids in line for most of the night, right?”r32;
I laugh a little.  “Yes, Justin, you’ve been on your best behavior.”

He smiles, but then it fades.  He’s waiting for me.

“Remember how you were talking about traveling more now that the boys are going to be out of the house?”

“Yeah.”  He wraps his arms around me and kisses me.  “I thought we could take Vic and May on a cruise to the Mediterranean this year.  They’re old enough for it now.  We never did get that honeymoon.  This is our shot, you know?”

I sigh.

He frowns.  “What’s wrong?  You don’t like the Mediterranean?”

“No...it’s not about that.”

“Then what?  Just tell me.  Whatever it is...we’ll be fine, I promise.”

I stare at him.  Really? Is he really ready for this?  We’ve surpassed the baby stage.  The kids are older now, and are starting to develop and mature.  We can start having a lot of fun with them, give them our full attention now that there will just be four of us, but...but that’s the thing...

There won’t be just four of us in nine months.  Honestly, I didn’t count on this.  Again, my pregnancy has been a complete surprise, and I’ve waited three weeks too long to tell Justin about it.  He’s been so busy with the firms and tending to all of us, that I haven’t had the heart to burden him with one more thing.  “What do you think about having another baby?”

He smirks slightly.  “You want another?  Aren’t you tired yet?”

I shake my head.  “I don’t...want to have it, necessarily.”

“Huh?”

I stare at him.  He’s completely confused and I guess I should just get to the point.  “We’re having one.”

His smirk turns into a wide smile, and I’m a little floored when he kisses me harshly on the lips and says: “Seriously?”

I nod.  “I took a test...it came out positive.”

“That’s...Abbey...this is amazing!  A baby!”  He puts a hand under my shirt and caresses my stomach, before kissing me again.  “Why do I get the feeling you’re not happy about this?”

“I...I’m happy.  It’s just that the twins need so much attention as it is.  How are we supposed to give them everything they need if we have a baby to worry about?  You remember how hard it was on the boys when they came along.”r32;


“We’ll make it work.”

“I’m not so sure.”

“Abbey...”  He shakes his head a little but his smile doesn’t fade away.  “You and I both know how hard life can be, but...somehow, we always manage just fine.  I love you, and we’re going to...have a baby...”  He laughs happily.  “I couldn’t ask for anything else.  I don’t care how hard it might be or how much the twins will hate not having all of our attention.  If anything, it might help them a little, you know?  They’ll start to realize that the world isn’t all about them.”

“Or Vic will just have a meltdown every day.”

“So she has a meltdown everyday.  We’re a family...we’ll work through it.  It...it doesn’t matter, Ab.  A baby is a great thing.  I can’t wait, you know?”

I suck in my bottom lip for a moment.  I feel foolish, and horrible that I’m not as excited about this as he is.  “You’re sure?”

“I couldn’t ask for anything more.”  He shakes his head, smiles, and kisses me lovingly, letting his lips linger against mine for a long time.  “I love us, no matter how crazy our kids can be at times.  I can’t wait to get home everyday so I can be with all of you.  You know that.  One more only makes things better.”

I smile softly.  Maybe it’s not so bad.  Sure, Vic will have her meltdowns and Mason will make sure to get into even more mischief because I’ll be distracted with a baby.  At the end of the day though, I’ll be able to lie in bed, Justin’s arms wrapped around me, knowing that I have the best gifts life can give to a person.  An amazing husband, and wonderful children.  That’s more love than I could have ever asked for, and uncanny how life worked out to get me to this point.  

Once again, Justin and I will be that unstoppable team that’s there for each other no matter what.  

I love, loving him.  

“So then I guess we’re in for another adventure,” I tell him.  “Lose two kids, gain one more, right?”

“At least the baby will prevent you from bugging the shit out of Austin and Davey,” he laughs.  “Maybe that’s a good thing.”

“Hey, it’s not my fault that I’m having separation anxiety.  New York is far,” I pout.  “I miss them already.”

“I can always conjure up a decent distraction.  I’m pretty good at last minute satisfaction.”

“You think so huh?”

“Have I ever let you down?” He laughs.

“Not so far,” I eye him playfully.  “We’ll see how tonight goes.”

He sighs, and caresses my face with his hand as he leans his head against my shoulder  “I’m so glad I get to spend the rest of my life with you.”
 
I stare back into his eyes, thinking the same thing.  I love who he’s become, who I get to spend my time with everyday.  How he allows me to live my life, have a bond with Braeden even though so much happened with us in the past.  He just lets it all go, because he loves me more than anything else in the entire world, and he’d give up everything he has tomorrow if it meant he would lose me otherwise.

He’s my miracle, my soul mate.  He’ll always be.  

“Me too.”

We kiss, and I know it symbolizes the start to the next part of our lives.  While it may not be perfect, while I know it can and will be frustrating, sad, joyful and happy all rolled into one, I know that I wouldn’t change my life for anything in the world.  It’s those little imperfections in life that remind me how much I overcame to live the life I do.  They’ve taught me to be grateful, to hold onto the important things and forget the rest.

No matter what happens, whether Justin has billions today and two cents tomorrow, our love will always overpower that, help us to cherish each other and our children.

Our love, will always come first.


Completed
ialwayzbesingin is the author of 25 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 30 members. Members who liked Business First also liked 690 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: triangles justinandtrace executivej