Even though she had only been in town for two weeks, she already had a neighborhood bar.  And since she arrived earlier than most normal bar patrons, she already had claim over a stool at her neighborhood bar. So every day she came in and sat, and drank, and watched, and listened. She had no plan for any sort of future and honestly had no clue what she was doing, but she honestly didn't care. She was content with sitting, and drinking, and watching, and listening. 

 

Tonight was also a more heavily male populated night, so she had picked a seat at the very end of the bar which was poorly lit even for bar standards.  She figured this would either get her left alone or raped. She was going to take her chances on either one, apparently.  Tonight was a two-for-one night which meant the bar was about half an hour from being ridiculously busy with dudes looking for a one night stand and girls who say they're looking for a one night stand but who are really looking for some sort of meaningful connection. She didn't yet own a TV so this was her entertainment for the night. 

 

If she was being honest with herself, she would say that she was avoiding the issue at hand. However, to be fair, who leaves everything they know and love to move across the country alone if they aren't avoiding an issue or two. Besides, in her experience, issues only haunt you at night and if you drink fast enough you just might be able to keep them at bay until you fall asleep. Of course they catch up to you in your dreams, but there's really nothing she could do about that. 

 

Being in this bar at the busiest time of day only served to remind her that she was completely alone in this city. Maybe the world for all she knew. She wasn't taking calls at this point in time. 

 

She outwardly groaned as she felt the warm tears begin to brim her eyes. She blinked them away quickly. She was too pretty to cry. Plus, crying in a bar is ridiculously tacky. It only makes you better able to be compared to a country song and she had just left the south. She caught the bartender's eye and silently ordered another glass of wine. You're never too pretty to drink. 

 

"A few more of these and you're going to have to make me cut you off soon." Brody laughed as he handed her the glass of red wine.

"Now why would you go and do something' like that?" 

 

"Well, I'd hate to see you get taken advantage of. There's a lot of men in here with unpure thoughts. Especially with someone as beautiful as you."

 

"Well, I sure hope you're keepin' a good eye on me to make sure that doesn't happen." She blushed and looked down to seem flattered by his very awkward attempt at flirting with her. 

 

"You got it." He smiled as he walked away to take care of someone else's drink order. She rolled her eyes as she realized she had just made his night. Instead of getting a job in this city, maybe she could just start her own company. She could just flirt with different men all day to boost their confidence and charge them a ton for it. After all, she had been doing it all night for free. 

 

Out of the corner of her eye she noticed a plain looking brunette staring her down. There was a man in front of her with his head down who had probably just been reprimanded for checking Charley out inappropriately. Charley felt the corners of her lips turn upwards as she winked at the girl. They then turned all the way up and formed a laugh when she saw the girl huff and drag her man out of the bar completely. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea for the bartender to cut her off soon. She was having too much fun being this drunk. 

 

Justin noticed her as soon as she walked in. He wasn't the only one, so did every other guy in the place. They were all eyeing each other as if they were all competition. Justin knew they weren't. At least not to him, anyway. He was on a whole other level. Probably the same level she was. At least in the looks department. She was probably mentally dumber than a box of rocks and about as emotionally unstable. Girls who looked like her were. It was just a fact. 

 

Just walked to the end of the bar casually and confidently. He motioned to his friend Brody, the bartender, for another round. He pointed at the model and said, "It's on her."

 

Charley broke her attention away from the couple fighting in the corner to hear this. She locked eyes on the handsome, tall man from last night and with her best faux southern accept drawled, "Is that so?"

 

"It's so. You were rude to me last night. I figured you wanted to apologize." He shrugged. 

 

Brody stood behind the bar not knowing if he should help out Justin or Charley. His eyes went between the two. He never knew Justin to not get his way. This wasn't the first time he had managed to get a broad to pay for his drink and convince her it was her idea. Then again, this broad in particular looked and acted as if Justin wasn't the first man she had turned down in her short life. This was going to be interesting. 

 

Charley had just enough drinks in her to be playful. It was so difficult and boring being so uptight and guarded all the time. She had made a few mistakes back home that had led her here, to this bar and this city, but she was vowing not to repeat them. She had taken an oath. Maybe it wasn't on the Bible or anything, but it was at least on her favorite pair of shoes. Wasn't that meaningful enough? Besides, with a boy like the one in front of her, well, all they needed was a little bit of attention in order to shut them up. Maybe his girlfriend had just left him so he was replenishing his ego by trying to land the most attractive girl in the bar. Or maybe he was a commitment phobe and avoided relationships by trying to sleep with everyone who had tits. Either way, she had been through this exact scenario enough times to know exactly how to play this game. 

 

Charley gave Brody the okay to put the drinks on her tab. It wasn't like she was actually going to have to pay for it anyway. "Oh, I did feel bad about it, darlin'. I lost sleep over it." Remembering to play up her best southern accent, she uncrossed and recrossed her legs. Besides her face, her legs were her best feature and she wanted his attention on them.

 

Justin licked his lips as he averted his attention to her tan legs. This girl really was dumb as shit. He was going to enjoy this, "Oh no, You're having trouble sleeping?" He gave her is best flirtatious grin as he leaned on the bar towards her, "Would you like some help with that?"

 

"No," She said quickly and she leaned forward to match his stance, "but I've got something else you could help me with."

 

Justin's eyes widened at the comment before he remembered the character he was playing. He had her exactly where he wanted her. She was already offering sex. If he were anyone else, he would've thought that was too easy, but he was Justin Timberlake. He was a master at this game.

 

Before Justin could come up with his rebuttal, someone drunkenly came from behind and slapped him on the back. Shocked, both Charley and Justin jumped in their seats a bit. Justin recognized the attacker as his girlfriend's brother and quickly made an attempt to change his body language. This was only a fun game to play if his girlfriend never found out. He turned his back to Charley to cut her out completely. He was a fan of concealing all evidence.

 

"Justin, How've you been man? Haven't seen you in a while." Cooper announced.

 

"Oh, I've been around." Justin laughed nervously using his broad shoulders to block out Charley from Cooper's view. Suddenly, he felt extremely guilty and was trying to swallow it down.

 

"Good to know. Tell Ken I said hey."

 

"Will do, man." Justin shifted uncomfortably. He knew Charley was a small girl, but at this point in time he felt her presence as if she were an elephant.

 

"Dude, please tell me you saw the hot girl behind you." Copper whistled, "Damn, that should be illegal."

 

Justin turned around and sure enough Charley had disappeared. He made a half-assed attempt to search for her in the crowded bar before saying, "Naw, man. I must've missed her."


Incomplete
sarawhatever is the author of 8 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Approximate Sunlight also liked 247 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story