Tables Turn 

I have been hanging out with Josh and Tyler, laughing the whole time for some reason or another. 'Renny and my family fly out tonight and land just before noon at LAX tomorrow. "Tyl-" I try to tell him to watch where he's walking.
He walks right into a glass door, eliciting roaring laughter from Josh and I. "Ow! Fuck you both!"
"Sorry. I tried to tell you."
Justin shows up and sees Tyler's face print on the door and smirks. "Turn around just in time to have his face meet the glass door?" I nod. "How have you three been?" he inquires, hugging me and do their manly handshake into a hug thing. "What's worse is that this is my restaurant."
"I forgot Destino is yours," Tyler responds nasally.
"Dude, you'd forget your head if it wasn't attached properly." I laugh and follow the three of them into the restaurant, Josh's hand holding mine. Justin sits with us in the VIP area and smiles when one of the waitstaff notices him. She calmly struts over and greets us, gracefully taking our drink orders (making sure to check our IDs because we ordered alcoholic ones) before rushing into the kitchen. "You're quiet tonight," Justin points out, smiling gently.
"I'm good, if that's what you're getting at."
He gets this huge grin on his face, it scares me sometimes. "You still have that glow."
Our drinks come and we order our food, thanking the waitress. "I'd hope so."
"What do you mean?"
"I'm happy and he made it official a few days ago when he introduced Mario and some of the crew on ABDC to me, calling me his girlfriend." I smile, sneaking a glance at Josh.
"All these years in the making." Justin grins like a fool.
"Thanks for making me open my eyes." Josh nods at Justin.
"If I didn't know better, I'd say it's another kind of glow," my cousin observes.
My eyes go wide and Josh smooths my nerves by rubbing my hand with his thumb. "If she is, I'll be happy. If she isn't, we just have more time to plan for one. No reason to worry about it."
We enjoy our meals and Justin asks about the upcoming holiday, hinting that he has something for us for Christmas. "Sure, but from what Josh tells me, we'll be spending it back home," I tell him.
"In Mississippi?" I nod slightly. "Sometimes it's good to go home for a little while."
"I know, it's been far too long since I've been back home."
"I hear you might be considering taking the next step, Minny."
I shyly smile. "We are discussing it, but I don't know."
"Everything hangs in the balance."
"Yeah, man," Josh confirms.
~~~~~
Thanksgiving was nice and it's almost Christmas, a much needed trip home. "Josh, is everything packed?" I ask, sounding half as nervous as I felt.
"You've checked five times, Minna," he reminds me from his spot next to me on the bed. "We should get to sleep because we have to be up at four to catch our plane for five."
I nod, but fail miserably at sleeping. I get none because my nerves are crazy and on end. When the alarm goes off, I get up and change my clothes before setting the bags we're taking by the door. "C'mon, Josh!" I holler up the stairs to him.
"I'm getting dressed, woman!" he replies, joking.
I hear James beep and I rush out the door to hug him after I get the two suitcases in his trunk. "Well, hi to you too," he says, hugging me as he reads anxiousness and excitement.
"Hey."
"Nervous?"
"Yeah." I dig in the gravel driveway with the toe of my shoe.
"Don't be."
"Lance!" Josh yells, prompting him to face his friend of sixteen years.
"JC!" They do their handshake into a hug greeting. "Ready to go?"
"As soon as I figure out where our suitcases are," he tells us, holding up two toiletries bags.
I groan and grab them, rushing to the trunk to put them in the bags before we head for the airport. "Done!" I start to jitter, getting even more anxious with each moment that passes so slowly.
"Ok, babe, you take the front and-"
James interrupts, "You can drive, JC."
"You sure you want me to drive your car?"
He shoots him an annoyed glare. "She needs you to calm her nerves."
I can't keep from showing my nervousness to my childhood best friend and boyfriend as we get closer to LAX. "I can't sleep at night... If you think you're lonely now... Turn the dial, trying to catch a break, but then I hear Babyface..." I sing along with Mariah Carey, singing when I can get my voice to work properly. I know Josh has my iPod plugged into the auxiliary for the radio, for the simple reason that Aaliyah's 'I Refuse' is the next song I sing with and use so much conviction that Josh and James are surprised, pleasantly at that. 
Josh reaches for my hand and laces his fingers with mine, pulling it onto the center console. His thumb starts to gently rub circles on the webbing between my thumb and forefinger, soothing my frayed nerves. I start to shake from anticipation, my fear of planes (who can blame me after I lost my friend in August 2001 in the Bahamas?), and not knowing how my family will react to the scars I have to remind me of how bad I was treated. Nobody says a word, I keep my eyes shut and I hear James snoring softly. I listen to the combination of the car's engine, the wheels on the pavement, the air conditioner, snoring, Josh's soothing breathing, and music playing gently. Some time later, Josh gently taps the webbing he'd been rubbing. "We're about to pull up to LAX."
"Ok."
"You plan on waking Lance up?"
"When we get there," I say, a devilish grin appearing upon my lips.
He chuckles as he turns the car, I'd tell you where and why if I had my eyes open. Honestly, it's better if I don't see the planes or outside the airport because then there's some level of calm within me. "Alright, we're in the parking lot."
I open my eyes and see the inside of a parking garage, feeling a little calmer. I look around the seat and giggle at how James is asleep-leaning on the door and drooling, yes, he does that in his sleep. It only happens when he's sitting upright or sleeping on his belly, his sweetness and big heart more than accommodate for his drooling. Once Josh parks the car (he paid before telling me we're in the garage), I get out, pull the blanket James keeps in his car out, lay it on the ground, unlock his door and pull it open, causing him to fall sideways onto the blanket, prompting him to become scared. He sits up and eyes me, a little upset. "You bitch."
"Love ya too," I reply, a sly grin greeting him. Josh tries not to laugh.
"And you let her do it?" James turns on Josh.
"I had no clue what she was doing, she just did it," Josh tells him.
"Funny, Min."
"I thought so," I tell him, boisterous laughter escaping me immediately after.
He mocks my laugh for a few seconds as he gets up to put the blanket back. "How long until we board?"
Josh checks his watch, "An hour and a half."


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story