Author's Chapter Notes:
And the next section!

32 days ago

 

 

“This, this, and this…” Jerald, Nyla’s boss, pointed down at the colorful array of designs fanned out atop his cherry wood. “And the meeting with Redbook on Monday morning, you’ve set yourself for greatness, Nyla. There is no reason that after this campaign, you get that promotion. Sechs loves you, and this is just another medal on your wall.”

 

Modestly, her head bowed slightly but there was pride in the angle of her chin. This is all she had ever longed for – success.

 

“I try my best, Jerald,” she remarked, her eyes taking inventory of her campaign designs on the desk.

 

“Ten o’clock sharp, you’ve got nothing scheduled right?” 

 

“I took personal time this weekend, but I’ll be here bright and early Monday.” She gushed.

 

“Well, on that note, I think we got everything. Get out of here… go enjoy your weekend with your superstar.” He paused at her office door, “You’re the one to watch Nyla. Dedicate yourself to this job til the end of the year and you will get everything you’ve ever wanted. I promise you that.”

 

Nyla smiled, feeling the butterflies build in her stomach. She finally released a deep breath once the door was shut behind him. A smirk crept on her face. Finally she was going to have her dreams come true. Nothing was going to get in her way; nothing was going to stop her from living her dream.

 

In the five short years she had been with this agency, she’d quickly built her name in the game. Any account she could help on, she did. And time after time she proved to everyone that she could not only do the job, but she could do it well.

 

Gathering up her things, her butterflies evolved into anxiousness. It had been two solid weeks since she had seen her superstar. Justin’s schedule had been crazy with promoting a new album and putting together a stage show for his upcoming tour. With her constantly busy schedule and his always-on-the-go schedule, it was not an easy feat to meet up. They literally had to pencil each other in at some times.

 

Their relationship, as difficult and challenging as it was, somehow overcame anything in their path. No amount of distance could break the bond between them. For three years now, they’d become a team. For them, it was a love that neither knew they would find, but it happened in the blink of an eye and in the most unlikely place.

 

“Jackie, I really have to pee,” an unsteady Nyla pleaded her coworker. Earlier in the day, at work, she had received her biggest project to date. She wasn’t the head project chief, but she was Executive Creative Aid to him. After only a year at the firm, she was definitely digging her heels in prospect territory.

 

“I know hun, but the ladies room is occupied. You’re going to have to hold it somehow,” Jackie tried to soothe Nyla as she did the potty dance in the lobby outside the restrooms.

 

“Can’t I just go in there?” Nyla pleaded, her lithe finger pointing towards the gentlemen’s restroom. They’d seen a guy leave earlier, and no one go in afterwards. So, technically, the coast was clear. Jackie was hesitant, but she also knew that Nyla may not make it if she had to wait much longer. One too many drinks would do that to a girl’s bladder.

 

Turning to look around, she saw no one heading their way so she reluctantly waved her along.

 

“Just hurry up, I’ll keep a lookout,” Jackie hurried her along, watching Nyla sway into the restroom on four-inch heels. Not a moment after the door swung shut, the women’s restroom door opened and a redhead patron stepped out. Rolling her eyes, Jackie pleasantly smiled at her. Feeling the urgency in her own bladder now, Jackie sighed before rushing into the ladies’ restroom.

 

“Poor thing, I’ll be done before her,” she laughed to herself, latching the door closed behind her.

 

Meanwhile, on the other side of the thin wall, Nyla hovered over the toilet relishing in the sweet relief of her bladder. She wasn’t such a frequent drinker, but the events of today merit a few toss-backs.

 

“Yo, I’ll be right out!” she heard from the outside and she frantically tried to finish her business. In her gut, she knew there was someone heading into the restroom. Had she locked the door?

 

“Just hold your damn horses!” the voice was closer, and as she rushed to pull up her panties, she felt the draft of the door opening. Caught with the straps of her panties around her thumbs, she looked up at her intruder.

 

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry,” the frazzled man stumbled through his words and back out the door. Her head dropped in shame. She knew she looked like a fool – hovering over the toilet with her panties halfway up her legs.

 

“Just my fucking luck…” she grumbled, shaking her head and pulling up her panties. After straightening her dress, flushing the toilet, and washing her hands, she took a deep breath preparing to face her handsome intruder.

 

“I didn’t mean to walk in on you, but the door was unlocked. I’m really sorry. I’m not like a pervert or anything like that,” she hadn’t made it out the door and he was already frantically rambling, his arms gesturing wildly.

 

“Yo! Calm door, it was my fault. I’m the girl in the guy’s restroom,” she nervously laughed, tucking her hair behind her ear feeling warmth creep up her skin.

 

“My coworker was supposed to keeping a lookout, but that did me no good, huh?” he was standing directly in front of the door and she was trapped in the open doorway. Despite her heels, he stood a few inches above her and she was forced to shift her gaze upwards.

 

“I still should’ve knocked, I’m sorry,” his voice raised bumps on her arms, and she nervously looked for an escape. There wasn’t anything else to be said, but he neither moved nor spoke. His eyes, blue as the ocean, held her blue-green eyes.

 

“Oh no, Nyla!” Jackie’s voice interrupted the staring contest between the two as she stepped out of the women’s restroom.

 

“Oh yes, Jackie! Thanks for looking out!” Nyla breathed in relief, having the stranger quickly step back from her. She took the opportunity to step out of the open doorway and over towards Jackie. The stranger put out an arm and held the door open, but his eyes stayed with her.

 

“Once again, I’m sorry about that,” she blushed, and discreetly shoved Jackie towards the hallway that would take them back towards the bar.

 

“I didn’t see anything, if that makes you feel better!” he tried to ease the tension, but the pleasant smile on her face faltered.

 

“It really doesn’t, but thanks for the effort. Have a good night,” she lamented, urging Jackie a little more forceful this time. Smiling back, she gave a quick nod before stumbling out of sight. He stood motionless, the door still ajar behind him. He tried shaking his head clear of her face, but he couldn’t. Forgetting his need to use the restroom, he broke out into a sprint down the back hallway and out into the main bar. Looking around he didn’t see her, but he did catch sight of his friend waving to him from the exit.

 

It was time to head home.

 

Claiming defeat, he made his way around tables and waitresses to the exit. And as he joined his party, his eyes caught sight of her crossing the parking lot with a small group of people. Everyone in the group was dressed to the nines; drinks after work maybe. In the blink of an eye, he grabbed a pen from the passing waitress’ apron and ran outside, ignoring the confused looks of his friends.

 

“Wait up!” his voice rang out across the empty lot. She heard him. She stopped and turned.

 

“Can I help you?” she questioned as he ran to a stop directly in front of her. He didn’t say anything, only took her arm.

 

“I may be stupid, but I’ll feel more stupid if I don’t do this. Ball is your hands. Goodnight.”

 

And he was gone. But, his phone number and name were on her arm.

 

Justin 310-435-7781

 

****

 

That day changed their lives. She had called him. And they went on a date. Then a second date. And a third date. And surprisingly, three years later there were still as in love as ever. Distance, despite the loneliness, had served them well. It had taught them patience, appreciation, and strength.

 

Her life, her career was set firm in San Francisco. She loved the Bay, she loved the city. And she had no intentions on ever leaving, not even for Justin. This was her world that she’d built from the ground up. She could never bring herself to leave all her hard work behind like that.

 

Many times he’d asked her if she’d ever consider relocating to Los Angeles, and she always said no. Never had he asked to do it, but she knew that he wanted her to. But, the thought of living in such a cutthroat and invasive city repulsed her.

 

Justin spent a lot of his time in New York and Memphis but his job required him to be in Los Angeles for the most part. With time, he had learned how he could keep his privacy and still live in the paparazzi filled city. He loved his home that he spent years perfecting. He was happy with Los Angeles.

 

****

 

Justin entered her condo, dropping his bag the moment he entered, rushing through the apartment to find her. He stopped when she finally came into view. Her office attire had long been stripped off and she stood before him in her lounge clothes. He loved this side of her. To him, she was at her best when she was relaxed without a care in the world. Her usually perfectly-coifed long blonde locks were now pulled back into a messy ponytail, her long lean legs in shorts, and her shoulders exposed by the racer-back tank.

 

His stomach filled with fury as he finished his stretch across the room. He couldn’t get to her fast enough. He stepped up behind her, his hands snaking around her waist as his chin came to a rest on her bare shoulder, and he whispered, “I’ve missed you.”

 

It was his scent that wrapped her body with warmth before his arms could. Hearing his declaration, Nyla turned in his arms and smile, “Finally, you make it back to me!”

 

His eyes danced happily as they try to take in her appearance all at once. It’d been too long, and he just wanted to stand there and relearn her every detail. She watches him, or rather his eyes as they skim over her every part. His bottom lip tucked safely into the confines of his teeth, and his lashes tickling his own skin with every blink. She wants to kiss him, but she doesn’t want to interrupt this moment.

 

Simply by looking at her, he lets her know that she is beautiful.

 

Amazing.

 

Finally, his forehead comes to rest on her forehead, and she can’t help the smile that tugs at her lips. With the touch of a feather, his lips softly and briefly meet her lips. When his eyes fluttered shut, she felt the tickle of his lashes on her skin. Pulling back, they stand there with eyes shut listening to each other’s heartbeats and feeling each other’s every exhale.

 

“If I could come home to this every day, I couldn’t be luckier,” his voice gently covered her like a silk sheet on her skin. She felt her body relax against him, feeling the truth of his words settle in her heart. “Move in with me.”

 

And like a glass vase shattering, the moment is over. His words had been so soft that she had almost missed them.

 

She pulled away from him, “Don’t be ridiculous Justin. You now that’s not an option.”

 

Disappointment and pain reigned over his face, but this wasn’t up for debate. “Why? We have been together a long time, I think it’s time we have this discussion.”

 

“You mean this argument?” She popped her hand on her waist before tossing them in the air, “We’ve had this argument before, many times.”

 

“No, we’ve never discussed this before. But anytime I mention LA, you blow your top. I don’t understand why you don’t want to move to Los Angeles.”

“I hate Los Angeles.” She admitted.

 

He swallowed hard. “But I’m there.”

 

“And I’m here.” She coldly delivered. “Justin, my job is here, my career is here, my life is here…”

 

“You would have better opportunities in Los Angeles… you could work for me…” He pulled her into him, “I would give you a promotion! The same one you’ve been waiting on for years!”

 

“The one that is within my reach! Jesus, Justin, why the sudden need to settle down? We are happy like this, let’s leave it at that.”

 

“I have been wanting you to move in with me for the last two years… now more than ever I just wanna spend time with you.”

 

She pulled away from him, “You know I love you and you know I would love to spend more time with you but I can’t do it. I don’t want a career because of my superstar boyfriend handed it to me.”

 

Justin felt the twinge in his throat. He felt he was never going to win this battle, ever. He didn’t know how it was ever going to work out if they always lived apart.

 

“Let’s not fight please. I want to spend the time we do have together before you leave again.”

 

Her words made Justin feel as if it was his fault for always leaving. There did seem to be a pattern, he was the one always visiting her, and leaving her but it’s not what he wanted.

 

“Plus, baby, think about it. You’re leaving for tour in a month…” She continued, “I would be in Los Angeles, and you wouldn’t be there anyways so let’s just talk about this after that.”

 

Disappointed, and unsatisfied, he agreed that it was the best decision, even though he really wanted to ask her to forget everything and join him on tour. And above all, in the pit of his stomach, he knew it would be hell convincing her otherwise. No sooner would he make the move to San Francisco than she would to Los Angeles.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: justin