JC's parents have been wanting to adopt me and have been working on it, my mom had signed over her rights to me for Roy and Karen. The majority of the papers have been done and our court date on May 3, the judge's decision makes it final. There's less than one week to go and it's a private hearing, JC said he'd try to be here for it. Both he and I are doubtful that he can make it due to a show in Iowa. I don't mind if he's not here, I just want him to call that night. "Jazz, you have a few visitors!" Gary calls out, blocking the door. 
I stop rehearsing with Nick and the Boys to find out who it is, surprised once I see who came for a visit. I untie the bottom of my tank top to cover my stomach and let my hair down from it's clip. "Let them in, Gary."
He moves to allow them in and Fatima turns around. "Nobody is allowed in my rehearsals without my permission. You know that, Samantha."
"They're JC's parents."
"Hi, Mr. and Mrs. Chasez. Rules don't change."
I fold my arms across the front of my body. "They're adopting me, all we're waiting on is the judge's say on May 3," I inform her.
"Why?"
"To protect me from Brandon." I grab my upper arm shyly, embarrassed. 
"Brandon?" she questions, her brows furrowing.
Nick steps out of formation, wiping the sweat off his face. "Her biological dad."
"Oh, fine, they can watch."
"We don't plan on staying long, just to talk to her," Roy tells everyone.
"Sorry for the interruption," Karen adds. They pull me aside, all smiles. "Honey, we have some great news!"
"What would that be?" I ask, beginning to become as excited as they seem.
"We ran into Judge Mitchelson and he said he plans on approving the our adoption!"
My face begins to slacken as it sinks in, a smile slowly forming on my lips and in my eyes. "Really?" They both nod. "Yes! Oh my goosh! AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!" I begin to jump up and down, squealing and squeaking with pure excitement. I'm so thrilled, exhilarated, happy and out of this world overjoyed!
"What's all the commotion for?" AJ asks as he comes out to check on me and why I'm being so loud. 
"I'm going to be their daughter next week!" I hold onto his wrists, jiggling and wriggling because I can't keep still.
"Then I guess it calls for a celebration," he says, smiling from ear to ear.
"Not yet," Karen reminds us. "We still have 5 more days before she's officially a Chasez."
"So no celebrating yet. Josh has to be here and after it's official," Roy tells me more than AJ.
"Just a little one? Please? Just with these five and Aaron?" I plead, turning to jump as I face him and my hands folded together.
"Nothing big, then. A small cake that congratulates her and some ice cream. Not too much more," Karen agrees.
"I'm so anxious to finish this!" I smile, excitement coursing through my body. "What about Ma?" I think out loud. 
Karen smiles. "Baby, she signed the papers a few months ago for us to adopt you so you'd be safe and we can continue to help you."
"What happens if he gets to her?" I begin to panic.
"She would rather him get her, you have so much more to live for."
"Ok, I guess." I can't argue with Ma's reasoning, she's a Kennedy.
"She took care of all your what if questions we thought you may have," Roy informs me.
I nod and Nick comes out, rubbing my back as he slowly steps next to me. "You ok?"
"Yeah, I'll be a Chasez in five days." I have to mask my inner turmoil over my mom protecting me from Brandon.
"We should get back to rehearsals before Fatima goes ape shit," AJ says, wrapping me in a side hug. "We will make sure she's safe, especially Nick." Ickers just smiles and nods at them.
"You better," Roy warns.
Karen playfully slaps his chest, somewhat softly. "Josh has a few days he'll be here, between the 11th and the 21st. Hopefully, it's enough time to bond."
"I hope so too." I hug them and look at them. "I love you."
"We love you too."
"I should really-" I stop when I hear a foot being tapped against the floor behind me, prompting me to look over my shoulder to find Kevin behind me. "get back to rehearsals."
"Call us tomorrow and don't tell Josh when you talk to him."
"I won't, mom. I keep secrets better than him," I reiterate, giving a crooked smile.
"Five days and it's official," she repeats, turning to leave after placing a kiss on my forehead.
"Talk to you soon, baby girl," Roy encourages, kissing the top of my head before following Karen.
I head back into the rehearsal studio and immediately fall into formation. "C'mon, five weeks to go before we hit the road!"

~~~~~
May 3, 1999

Today's the day. We're sitting in the courthouse, dressed nicely but not over the top nice. I have on a beautiful medium blue skirt that stops barely below my knees and flows outward as it goes down with a multi-colored butterfly shirt and black 3" high heels. I left my hair down, allowing it's semi-curly waves to cascade over my shoulders and down my back. "Karen and Roy Chasez, Samantha Charpentier," the officer calls out.
We walk hand in hand into the room with me sandwiched between them. "All rise, Judge Mitchelson presiding. Please be seated."
The judge pretends to look over the case before meeting our eyes. "I have made my decision, based on facts and testimonies. I know that she has been in your care for the better part of close to two and a half years and happy the entire time. I have no reason not to allow this adoption to be approved. By the power vested in me by the state of Florida, I affirm this young lady-Samantha Marilyn, a part of your family and count on you to keep her safe and well taken care of," the judge rambles, banging his gravel afterward.
Roy and Karen are now my mom and dad, I can't keep from hugging them, smiling and crying all at once.
I text James on the way to the Chasezs' house to get ready to greet a few cousins and other various family members. 'I just became an official Chasez!' My cell rings as we pull out of the courthouse parking lot. "Hello?"
"You're his sister now?"
"Yes, I'm now Samantha Marilyn Chasez!" I squeal from the backseat.
Karen lightly laughs from the passenger seat of the car. "Wow! Should I tell him?"
"No, I will. He's my brother." If I only knew what this would mean later on...


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story