The three of them are excited to see me do my thing and Devin's got me smiling big time. During one of the breaks Brett gives us because of Aaron being so young, I'm sitting in between Devin's legs with my back to him and talk with him, Rich and Brad. "I've missed you guys."
"Since January?" Rich questions.
"Aww, Jazzerz missed us," Brad teases.
"I'm glad you asked us to come down. I talked to James the other day and he said you need an old friend from Massachusetts. He said something about some guy named Nick being an ass to you."
"Yeah, he's my ex."
"Speaking of dating, are you single?"
"Devvie, are you ok?" I look at him with my brows furrowed in confusion.
"I just want to know if there's a guy I should know about in case we cuddle."
"Explain it to me."
"You're a friend of mine and we both need to cuddle to get sleep sometimes."
"Seriously?"
"It's going to be another two years before I'll chance being with you, I'm not going to get in hot water for anyone."
"Sure, it's no biggie. You know if my mom signs the paper saying I can be on my own and am a legal adult, age won't matter?"
He considers it. "How far is your mom from here?" he jokes.

We laugh and Aaron comes over. "Can I sit with you, Sam?"
Brad looks for another girl. "Who's that?"
"Jazz is Sam."
I giggle. "My real name is Samantha Charpentier. Jazzy is a nickname I've had since I could cruise furniture, I've always danced when music comes on," I justify.
"Ahh, makes sense," Rich states.
I smile, resting my body back against Devvie. "Jazzerz, you should be in the video we're going doing around early or mid-July."
"What dates? I might be able to work it in."
"Management wants it out July 20."
"You guys have worked so hard for this and now you're getting what you deserve."
"Thanks, baby," Devvie says, coolly. 
I lace my fingers with his and place them on my stomach. "Acey," I call quietly, nodding at him. "How long until-" AJ's appearance followed by the other Boys answer my question before I can complete it. "See the blonde one that looks like Aaron?" I ask the three of them.
"Yeah," Devvie responds.
"Sure," Rich answers.
"Who could miss the six foot blonde giant?" Brad sniggers.
I giggle hard enough to turn at least five shades of red, drawing his attention to the five of us. "What's so funny?" Nick sneers.
"Teigh trasna ort fein."
"Nice greeting, Sam," Nick shoots back.
"Complimentary just for you," I fire back at him, dripping sarcasm.
"Why are you such a bitch about everything?"
"It's only when it comes to you," I say as sweet as possible, feigning happiness.
"Let's get you away from him," Devvie quickly says, getting up and pulling me with him.
"I only want to repeat his bloody nose."
Devvie throws me over his shoulder effortlessly. "Nope, we have to talk." He turns to Brett. "What time is she due back for the evening?"
"Seven, we go until eleven thirty."
I feel him nod, acknowledging the important information and carries me out of the rehearsal hall. He sits me on the ATV I had used to bring him from the main road down here, looking into my face. "Jazzerz, come on, get over it. It's not worth your energy because every bit you waste on his sorry and heartbroken attention, is energy drained and not used for Aaron's set, where it's needed most."
My shoulders drop and I hang my head, realizing he's right. "He asked me to be one of their back up dancers because one of the girls left or whatever."
"Is it worth the stress?"
Sometimes Devvie knows how to help me out, he's good at just getting me to laugh other times. We flirt almost constantly, regardless of age. "Can we talk about it later?"
"Sure. Who do you report to?"
"Kevin's in there." I motion to the rehearsal hall he just ran out of with me on his shoulder like a sack of potatoes.
"Show me who he is and ignore Nick," he demands.
I nod and lead him to Kevin. The second I open the door, Nick begins running his mouth and he gets the silent treatment. "Papa, Devvie, Rich, Brad and I are going out. We'll be back around quarter past six."
"Cell phone?"
I pull it out and show him. "Got it, Papa."
"Check in around three," he commands, folding his arms over his chest.
"Thanks, Papa."

We run out again, I make sure to grab my bag this time, and hop on the ATV, I put the key in and text AJ, 'Could I borrow your car?'
'Who will be driving?'
'Devvie'
'The dark haired guy you were sitting back on?'
'Yes'
'I'll bring the keys to you'
A few minutes later, AJ comes out and hands me the keys to his car. "Thanks, Alex."
We hug, he looks in my eyes as we pull apart. "Wreck it and I wreck the four of you," he reminds me, telling my friends for the first time as he motions to each of us as he says the last six words and dragging his finger across his throat while saying 'wreck'.
"I know."
"Later, spitfire."
Devvie smiles. "Where to, doce menina?"
"What do the last two words mean?"
"They're good. Where to?"
"There is this awesome place called Friendly's," I joke, starting the ATV and driving to the main road with Rich and Brad tailing us.
"Funny, doce menina."
"I try, Devvie," I tell him, bumping him with the back of my shoulder.
"Of course you try," he agrees loudly, ensuring I hear him over the motor.

I pull a maneuver Justin did with a jet ski and park next to AJ's car, handing Devvie the keys to the car. We wait a few minutes for Brad and Rich to pull up on their ATVs. "You guys should meet my unofficial adoptive family."
"Call em and see if we can pop by," Brad suggests.
I nod and dial a number I've committed to memory more than a year ago. "Hello?" 
"Mama Chasez, can I stop in with three friends of mine from Massachusetts?"
"Sure, sweetie. What happened between you and Joshie?"
"I'll talk about it later," I sigh. "Love you."
"Love you too."
I hang up and look at the arm rest in the middle to see his hand there. Devvie is one of three people who can calm me down in five minutes or less. I slip my hand into his, knowing if we match up the heels of our hands that his fingertips could bend over mine. "What's the verdict?" he asks.
"She said sure."
"You want to go eat first?"
"I've been up since three and it's now what noon? I ate around four, so my stomach is being a bit bitchy."
They laugh as we pull up to the restaurant. "Are we splitting this?"
"Nah, my treat."

He kills the engine and slips the key ring carabiner around his finger, his green orbs looking into my ocean blues. "You sure, doce menina?"
"Sim, Devvie," I respond, using one of the ten or fifteen Portuguese words I've picked up from being around him and his family.
He expresses shock for a few seconds prior to a smile gracing his lips, making his green eyes shine. "How many other words do you know?"
"Couple handfuls, not too many." I give him a lazy smile. "We should get our grub on!"
Devvie laughs his sexy laugh, his head shaking from side to side. "Only Jazzerz can say that and be cute."
Brad claps his hand to his new bandmates' shoulder. "She has a valid point-we need to eat and soon."
"Alright, let's go get our grub on like she said," he states calmly, quickly climbing out of the car to get beside me. He drops his arm around my shoulder and pulls me as close as he can, making our sides almost flush. "Devvie, would you give us a serious chance?"
"If you were emancipated or at least eighteen, sure. But I'm not going to get in trouble for kissing you," he tells me with a sly smile.
"You won't get in trouble, I won't tattle," I taunt, being playful and flirty.
"Não o que eu quero dizer, I'm talking about people walking in and assuming something other than us cuddling or greeting each other."
"Both security teams, the guys, Aaron and the Boys all know I'm a cuddler. All their parents know it as well," I reply, counting the groups and Aaron off on my fingers. "Their road crews even know that."
"How many in your party?" the hostess asks.
"Four, please, miss." She leads us to a back booth, hands us menus, takes our drink orders and walks off. 

"I don't know. Nick doesn't give off the right vibe."
"He still loves me." The three of them look at one another, weary about it. I pull my bag off my back and put the tape into the Talkboy Aaron let me borrow. I let it play at normal speed and they're surprised at everything that's said.
"Wow, he had no intention of you ever having it. I say you toy with him," Brad insists.
"AJ and I have a plan in place."
"Do it with Devin," Rich suggests.
I check my watch and it's almost three, meaning they're going on break. I make a call as our food arrives. "Sup, shortie?"
"Thinking it should be Devvie."
"I was pondering the same thing, more of a natural click."
I giggle and Devvie smiles. "Then it's settled, I'll talk to him. Later." I hang up and look at Devvie. "Would you like to toy with Nick?"
He thinks about it for almost a minute as he finishes his bite of clams and fries. "Sure, doce menina."
"Then it's settled, my green eyed 'lover'."
We laugh and change the subject. "Have you been on a full tour yet?" Brad asks, taking a sip of his root beer.
"Close to."
"Did you or not?"
"Not in one shot, but if you add up all the time I spent touring with the Boys and the guys, I've been through a handful of tours. I was two weeks short of a full tour, the Boys' US promo tour."
"It counts, I guess," Rich concludes.
"I got to be back in an hour and a half, we should go to Josh's parents place," I point out.
"Of course, Jazz," Brad taunts, batting his lashes at me.
I scoff and roll my eyes, in the same fashion as I would if Nick had said it. "You're such a dork," I tease, slapping the bill of his cap so it goes over his eyes.

Devvie chortles, helping me out of the booth and he spots Nickolas. "Doce menina, look," he whispers, nodding toward my ex. 
"Now we let the games begin," I say, gazing into Devvie's green eyes.
He smiles and kisses me, wrapping his arms around my waist. "Thanks for coming to see me, honey."
He gives me a peck on the cheek. "Anything for my doce menina."
"Hey, Jazz," Nick says, fire in his eyes aimed at Devvie.
"Oh, hi," I coldly greet him. "Babe, can we go to the arcade?"
"What about your friend's parents, meu amor?"
I place my finger on my chin and smile. "Oh, yeah. Can we play a game after rehearsal later?"
"Of course, coração. Sonic or Mario?" he responds, chuckling lightly.
"I thought you were with that Justin guy," Nick snaps at me.
"Mutual split due to minimal time together, good terms of course."
"This must be your new boy toy," he says, an angry snip to his voice.
"I have been seeing her since late last night. We've known each other for 3 1/2 years and know each other better than you knew her." He interlocks his fingers on one hand with mine and slides his other hand into my back pocket, grabbing my ass inconspicuously. 
I think of one thing when it comes down to our little act-it comes so naturally, almost too easily. "Well, I hope you know she was seeing someone on the side when she was with me and she might do the same to you!" he hollers, his face contorted angrily and bright red over the memory.
"Oh, you mean the letter to my Devvie? He was a close friend until late last night, I've known him since summer 95. Now I'm seeing him, just seeing where it could lead and we put our friendship above all else. Trust is what built us to this point."
"Who asked who out?"
"She brought it up and I finally got the push I waited for from her and James."
"He asked me so sweetly," I say, borderline hyper.
Nick narrows his eyes and if looks could kill, Devvie and I would be dead because he's shooting some poisonous daggers from his icy stare. "Fuck off," he mutters, storming away from us and we just shrug it off as we leave the plaza.

I text AJ, 'Just ran into the blue eyed monster, he's pissed. He bought the spiel. How long is this going to go on for?'
'July maybe. Should fizzle around beginning of July. Mutual split due to work schedules.'
I show Devvie and he nods, ultimately agreeing with it. He motions for my cell and writes what's on his mind, 'Amicable or nasty split?'
'Peaceful, discuss it and it's over with.'
'Works for us.'
'Where are you headed now, shortie?'
'Chasez'
'Ok, you're due back here in one hour.'
'I am aware, Alexander. I'm hardly ever tardy.'
'Yeah, yeah, yeah. Depends on who you're chilling with at the time.'
I put my cell down and we load into AJ's car, heading out to see Karen.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story