She sat in the car staring out the window blankly. She didn't know where she was. She had lost her location about seventy miles after Astoria. She had seen a sign saying Newport a few miles back in a nice looking town that she remembered faintly; memories from childhood holidays at the seaside. But that had been hours ago. And she didn't know where they were. The place was wooded and misty. Like it was raining but not raining at the same time. Like the kind of weather where even if it was sunny out you still got wet and your hair became a mass of knots and tangles. Her mother looked at her from the front passenger seat. Her hazel eyes looked sad and apologetic.

“Are you okay sweetheart?” She asked her daughter. She just looked at her mother and nodded silently. Then out of nowhere, a wave of sunlight came through the trees and it cleared out. She covered her eyes to block it. As her eyes got used to the light she lowered her arm and saw not the horror house she had been expecting. But looming up in front of them was a large chain link fence. And beyond that several large white buildings that were all connected. And a vast green area that resembled a golf course surrounded it all. The place looked more like a country club than a home for those who needed curing of whatever ailment that rendered them unacceptable by society. She looked at the place with puzzlement. How could this be? Was she being taken here? No. Impossible. Her mother and father had said hospital. An institution. Not a country club. But still the car drove. There was no grunt of frustration from her father due to making a wrong turn, no checking of the directions he just kept driving. She didn't think it wise to say anything since her parents had a tendency to get irritable during long drives. So she sat back farther in her seat and continued to stare out the window. She wished she hadn't left her ipod at home but her parents insisted that she leave it, as apparently there was a rule at this place that stated that such devices were not permitted.

Finally they reached the gate, which opened for them automatically. They continued the drive and after two or three minutes down the long driveway they came to the parking lot. Her father parked the car and they all got out. She had barely had time to shut the door when two men in white coats came out and walked towards them as though they had been expecting her. She recognized white coats even if she didn't know who the men were. White coats were the mark of a doctor. White coats meant tests. White coats meant questions. So it really was a hospital. Unless they were on holiday there and they forgot to take off their coats. The men smiled and came up to her mother and father with wide smiles and one of them held out a hand to shake. Her father took it and politely shook it. Her father had always been the old fashioned kind of guy.

“You must be Mr. and Mrs. McFarland,” said one of the men. He had light skin and dark hair. His smile seemed warm to her. Genuine, she thought. Not plastered on like the other doctors. The same went for the other man. He had light skin and fair colored hair. His smile also seemed warmer than the smiles of other doctors she had encountered. The other man nodded to her mother and shook her mothers hand. Her mother smiled and nodded.

“That we are.” Said her father. She took a step back. This couldn't be. This was just a joke. The doctor with light hair looked up at her and smiled as he walked up to her. She dared not to run. She knew it wouldn't do her any good.

“And you must be Rebecca.” He said smiling down at her and holding out a hand for her to shake. She jumped when he said this. Her nerves were getting the best of her. She stared at it suspiciously. She silently nodded not taking her eyes off him and not shaking his hand.

“Say hello and shake his hand.” Her mother scolded.

“It's alright ma'am.” Said the man. “A lot of new patients are like this when they first come. It's pretty typical. Now if you'll just follow us we'll get everything sorted out and arranged.” Motioning for them to follow, Rebecca’s parents and her were lead by the doctors into the building. She went to the back to the trunk to grab her things but the doctors stopped her.

“It's alright sweetheart.” The dark-haired doctor said. “We'll get your things later.” She still wasn't totally convinced that these people deserved her trust but she nodded and went with them into the building.

“We forgot to introduce ourselves. I'm Dr. Littrell. You can call me Brian. And that guy over there is Dr. Kevin Richardson.” The light haired doctor said as they went into the building, which looked more like a luxury resort than a hospital. This place was becoming more and more confusing with every second to her as she looked at the unfamiliar surroundings. The dark haired doctor that apparently was named Kevin nodded towards a room that looked like an office. It looked rather professional though it still didn't give off the hospital vibe.

“So we'll be keeping her for six months minimum or until we think she's ready to leave.” Kevin stated. “We'd like to ask that you keep the phone calls few and far between and use letters as your main source of contact. It's just standard procedure; it's nothing personal.”

“No, no. We understand.” Said her mother. “It's only part of your job. We've been through similar procedures. We came here because we heard about how your facility works. We were hoping that maybe Rebecca would feel more comfortable here and maybe would function better.” Her mother turned and looked at her. Rebecca simply stared straight ahead of her. She paid little to no attention to the rest of what the doctors said. She only knew that she was being left here.

She knew that having a daughter who isolated herself from the world embarrassed her parents. But she couldn't help it. If she knew how to be less like this horrid version of herself she would. According to her mother she had been “normal” once. But it was all a blur now. It didn't matter now though. It was all water under the bridge. She was here and this was her fate. Her parents said their goodbyes and then left. But still she didn't say anything, only a soft goodbye. She didn't know why but she felt like she was being abandoned.

“Well, now that all that's cleared up,” Said Kevin. “Welcome to the family Rebecca. Is there anything you prefer to be called? Becky, Becca, maybe even R?” She looked up at him and shrugged.

“People call me all of those.” Rebecca says. “I don't mind what you call me as long as you don't call me freak like everyone else does.”

“Of course not.” said Brian. “We will never call you that. I promise you nobody here will.” He placed a hand on her shoulder as he said that.

“We'll deal with the nicknames later. In the meantime we need you to come with us so you can get settled in.” said Kevin. “Don't worry about formalities here just call us whatever you like.” He led her to a room that looked like one you'd see in a normal every day clinic.

“We're just going to give you a brief physical before we take you to your room.” said Brian. She nodded and sat on the chair while Brian went to get something.

About two minutes later another doctor came in. He was also blond but he had bright green eyes. He seemed friendly enough. She had learned early on that being quiet had its advantages when it came to being a judge of character. He smiled at her, took out a stethoscope and walked up to her.

“You must be the new girl. I'm Lance.” He said. She could tell by his accent that he was from the south. She inched away from him as he approached and he looked at her a little concerned.

“It's okay. I won't hurt you. I know you're...shy. We can call it that.” Lance placed the stethoscope on her chest. She flinched and Lance pulled it back. “It's okay sweetheart. I just want to check your heart beat. If you're not comfortable with me doing anything just tell me okay?” She nodded. The rest of the checkup went fairly smoothly. She didn't like checkups that much but Lance seemed like a nice enough person.

After the checkup, Lance leads her to one of the buildings where she assumed were some kind of living space. He led her to one of the rooms and knocked on the door.

“This is the co-ed building. You'll be having a roommate.” Said Lance. “It's okay.” He said after seeing her expression at hearing the news of having to share living space with someone. “He won't hurt you. Levi's a nice guy. He's going through kind of a rough spot but he's okay.” He opened the door and led her in.

“Well it looks like you got yourself a welcoming committee.” Said Lance. She nearly fell over when she saw not one, but three guys in the room all with “Welcome New Girl!” signs. She squeaked and hid behind Lance who promptly dragged her out from behind her and led her to the others.

“She's your new roommate Levi?” Asked a boy with curly, dark hair. “She's kind of cute. A little scrawny but cute.”

“Shut it Howie she's not scrawny. She's just little.” Said a man with brown hair and blue eyes.

“What'd you think Joey?” Howie turned to another man with dark spiky hair that looked like it had once been dyed red.

“I don’t know.” He shrugged. “I'm not one to judge a book by its cover.”

“Well anyways…” Said a boy with dirty blond hair that Rebecca assumed was Levi. “Welcome to the family. I'm sure you've already heard that.” He held out his hand and she shakily shook it. Lance smiled approvingly.

“Well I'll be going so you guys can all get better acquainted. I'll bring in some food later.” He waved and left the room. Levi instantly went back to his seat, ignoring everything.

“Later Lance.” Joey waved back. “So-” he said as the door closed. “What's you're name little lady?” He leaned forward in order to get closer to her. She squeaked and dove into a corner.

“Dude, take it easy Joe. She's a kid!” Jc held onto his arm, keeping him back. He turned to the corner where Rebecca was huddled. “Don't worry kid. He flirts with every skirt he can see.” He stood up and walked slowly up to her. “That’s a pretty haircut you've got.” He said. “I've never seen one like it. What's it called?” It was indeed a different style cut. Perfectly straightened hair that had been cut so that Rebecca had perfectly straight bangs, and then the hair on the side was shoulder length. The rest of her hair was long and down to her waist. She looked up at Jc.

“It's called a hime cut.” She said in a voice that could almost be described as one that a mouse would use if it could speak like a human. “Hime means princess. In Japan princesses or girls in important families would wear their hair like this.” Jc smiled.

“Can you tell us your name little princess?” He asked. She nodded. “I like being called Becca. My full name is Rebecca McFarland.” Jc smiled and nodded again. Levi scoffs.

“Well Princess Becca McFarland, welcome to St. Margaret’s institution.” Said Joey. Becca smiled faintly and stood up, though she was still trembling.

“I still think she's weird. I mean she barely talks.” Said Howie. Jc shot him a look. Levi rubs his hand through his hair.

“We talked about this earlier Justin.” He said.

“Yeah.” said Levi. “Remember when Lance told us I was going to have a roommate?” He said it quietly.

“I remember that you weren't happy about it in the least bit.” said Howie. Becca blushed apologetically.

“I’m still not. I want to be alone. But I have to face reality, now don’t I?” Levi looks at the others. Becca seems scared. “Just, be careful cause I might bite.”

“Okay dude. You're normally not like this.” Howie and the others were shocked.

“Don’t talk to me right now. I’m in a ‘mood’.” Levi emphasized ‘mood’ in disgust and turned his back to the others.

“Okay guys chill.” Joey comes between them. “No need to fight in front of the lady. Howie why don't you go down and see what's keeping Lance with that food. And maybe you should take it easy for a bit Levi.” Levi flips him off and starts to mumble to himself.

“We should probably get going.” Jc turns to Joey who nodded. “You can tell Lance we went back to our rooms.” He told Levi before turning back to Becca.

“Tomorrow morning we'll give you the grand tour of the palace.” He said, grinning. “In the meantime sleep well princess.” Becca smiled and nodded as the two left the room leaving her alone with her new roommate.

“Your beds over there.” Levi grumbled pointing to another bed a few feet away. “Just don't annoy me right now.” Becca nodded and went to the bed and curled up underneath the sheets. A few minutes later Lance came back with some food. Becca turned it down though with the excuse that she had eaten earlier before she came. Lance shrugged and turns to Levi, who knocks the plate out of Lance’s hands. Lance sighs and Rebecca curls tighter under the sheet. By nightfall, when Levi was still out somewhere, Becca finally allowed herself to cry. She missed home already.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story