Becca is sitting at one of the tables watching the others finish up cleaning the dining room after breakfast. She has gotten used to the daily ritual of cleaning after every meal. As long as she gives Jordyn a wide birth it’s actually quite fun. She hasn’t told anyone this is the happiest she’s been in her entire life. She’s sitting at one of the tables swinging her legs when Kevin enters the room and motions for her to come. She obeys and walks over to him. But she gets a little worried when he motions for Jordyn to come as well. The others seem a little suspicious as well but they don’t say anything. Jc is watching carefully ready to jump if Jordyn tries anything. The bruises on Becca’s face and arms are still there from when Jordyn beat her up.

“What is it Kevin?” Jordyn asks looking at him and then at Becca. Kevin looks at her.

“Nothing. I just wanted to talk to you two girls. If now isn’t a good time we could schedule a private session?” He says smiling. Both Jordyn and Becca know he’s up to something and they look at each other and nod.

“Now’s fine.” Jordyn says. Kevin nods and motions for them to follow.

“I understand that you girls have been having some trouble getting along?” Kevin says when they get to his office. Jordyn growls irritably. Kevin notices. “If it makes you feel any better Jordyn, Becca wasn’t the one who told me. I’m not saying who it was though.” He says.

“Well if you really want the truth then no we don’t get along at all.” Jordan says angrily. Kevin nods and looks at Becca who shakes her head.

“Would you mind if I ask why?” Kevin asks.

“I mind but it looks like you’re not going to give up till you get an answer so here we go.” Jordyn says. “I hate her because she reminds me of the jerks in my hometown. All of them hated Levi and me and wanted us both dead. They would yell at us or completely ignore us.” Jordyn’s hands are fists at this point. The knuckles are white. Kevin nods and turns to Becca.

“Why don’t you tell us your side of the story Beck?” He asked. Becca looks up at him confused. “You don’t need to talk. You can write it down if you want. But sometimes it helps if people can walk a mile in someone else’s shoes so they can stop hating some one. Mind I’m not trying to get you two to be best friends for life but I just want to make it so that you two can see a little more eye to eye.” Becca nods.

“Thank you but I think for this I shouldn’t use paper.” Becca speaks. Jordyn looks at her surprised and even Kevin seemed a little stunned that Becca is actually speaking. Becca takes a deep breath and summing up all her courage she turns to face Jordyn and begins speaking.

“I understand that your life hasn’t exactly been a cake walk.” Becca says in her wispy voice. You can tell that she has long since lost the habit of using it on a daily basis. “But I do wish that you wouldn’t take your anger out on me. You and I came from very different situations and just because I am not what you expect me to be you treat me like I don’t deserve to exist. Has it ever occurred to you that you are acting just like the people in your home town?” Jordyn glares at Becca. Yes she knows but she doesn’t like to think about it. Becca continues without even acknowledging the glare.

“You go on about how your parents and fellow towns’ people treated you terribly.” Becca says her eyes getting a tiny bit misty. “But at least they acknowledged the fact that you two existed! With me my mother and father never even acknowledged my presence. They still don’t. I’ve been here a month and they haven’t even sent a letter. Not one letter not even a phone call.” Becca wipes her eyes off with her sleeve. “Yes I had what I wanted. But my parents only gave things to me to keep me out of the way. They kept me isolated from the world. And then when I’m expected to be social I don’t know what to do and they get angry. They start trying to be better parents. But the damage is done. I’d give anything to be you. Even if it meant being hated. At least it would mean people would know I was there! The time here has been the happiest time of my life because there are people here who want me around and know I exist. I’m sorry if I seem stuck up to you but maybe you should try and see my sides of things before you start beating me up!” Becca had tears running down her face and her voice was no longer wispy but now it was stronger and clear, as though something had triggered her and flipped a switch.

“Thank you Rebecca.” Kevin says placing a hand on her shoulder in an effort to comfort her. “Well now that we have heard your side of the story why don’t we hear Jordyn’s?” He turns to Jordyn who just looked at him coldly. “Alright we don’t have to. But I still want you two to spend some time with each other. Maybe understand each other a little more.” He says. “We’ll continue this tomorrow.” The two girls walk out of the room. Becca goes to head for the studio but Jordyn stops her by placing a hand on her shoulder.

“I don’t want to do this anymore then you do so let’s just humor the man. I say we head outside.” Becca nods quietly. She’s gone back in silent mode. They both walk out quietly to the courtyard and sit under one of the trees. It’s cool and shady and it looks like the weather might get a little warmer as the day goes on.

“I’m sorry if I sounded like a stupid brat.” Becca whispers. “It’s like I said. I’ve just now started to be accepted by people so I guess I just haven’t really been able to figure out social situations as much as I thought I have.” Jordyn shrugs.

“It’s not that big a deal. We all have our sob stories. I’m sorry I treated you like that. I guess you and I aren’t that much different. I think the reason that I was so unkind to you was not because you reminded me of people in my hometown but that you reminded me of myself.” Jordyn looks at Becca who nods. “If that makes any sense. I guess I saw a thing in you that I lied about to myself, and I hated you for it.” Becca nods again.

“Well I’m not saying we should be BFF’s but maybe we should at least make an attempt to be friends. If not that then at least be on somewhat good terms with each other. Just so the others won’t worry.” Becca whispers again. Jordyn nods. “In the meantime tell me more about you. I’ve already told you about myself.” Again Jordyn nods.

“Well you already know that Levi and I were twins.” She says. “Our childhood was okay. We grew up in a really religious community. It was pretty rural so we grew up believing things to the letter.” Jordyn wipes at her eyes with her sleeve. “Great now I’m starting to cry. Anyways when we became teen’s thing started changing and fast. Levi became depressed and we couldn’t figure out why. Finally he told us. He had a crush on a boy in church. My parents got pissed. Really pissed. My dad probably would have killed him if he got the chance. They sent him here and well the rest you already know.” Now it was Jordyn’s turn to break down sobbing. Becca holds her hand not quite knowing what to do.

“I’m so sorry that happened. No one deserves to be treated like that for who they are.” Becca says. “I only knew Levi for a short time but as angry as he was when I knew him he seemed like he was a truly kind person at heart.” Becca hugs Jordyn. “We really aren’t that different.”

“Hey guys what’s going on?” Nick and Howie show up out of nowhere. “Is everything okay?” Howie asks noticing Jordyn in tears. Becca and Jordyn look up at them and nod.

“Yeah. We were just having a heart-to-heart.” Says Becca. Howie and Nick look shocked to hear her speak.

“Well whatever happened in Kevin’s office it must’ve done something good cause it looks like you’re starting to open up.” Howie said. Nick goes over to Jordyn and Becca moves out of the way. Nick helps Jordyn to her feet. Her hands go into her pockets and his follows her to her room. Howie and Becca watch them leave before Howie turns to face Becca again.

“Jc wanted to talk to you about something. I don’t know what but he seemed pretty serious. He’s in the studio right now.” Becca nods and runs off back towards the building.

Brian and Lance are in the break room talking happily when Kevin and Chris show up.

“Well you two are in a good mood.” Chris comments looking at them. “What gotten into you two?”

“Nothing.” Lance smiles. “We’ve just found someone important to us.”

“In other words you two are an item now.” Kevin concludes.

“Bingo we have a winner.” Brian smirked.

“Well congrats you two.” Chris pats both of their shoulders.

“Thanks. So Kevin how did that session with Becca and Jordyn go?” Lance asks.

“Who knows, I think there was some progress but it really depends on those two now.” Kevin sits in a chair. The others nod.

“You never know.” Chris leans over the back of the couch. Everyone looks over at him. “Quiet ones have a habit of surprising people.”

*

“Are you going to be okay?”

“I really don’t do the heart-to-heart unless necessary.” Jordyn opens her bedroom door. “And you never saw me cry, got it?”

Nick leans forward and kisses her forehead. “Yeah, I’ve got it.” Jordyn opens the door and Nick turns to head back outside. Jordyn grabs his hand and pulls him into the room grinning. She pushes him onto her bed and walks back to the door. She shuts it, locks it, and strips off her shirt. Nick grins. “I love it when you don’t wear bras.”

“And I love it when you can make me feel all better with your hands.” Jordyn pushes him down on the bed. “I need some lovin’ right now…”

*

Jc is sitting in front of the piano in the studio when Becca comes in. He looks at her and smiles. Becca comes up to him.

“You wanted to talk to me about something?” Becca asks. And Jc, like all the others, looks surprised that she’s actually speaking. But he nods and motions for her to sit with him.

“Yeah actually. I did want to talk to you.” He sighs. He bites his lip and tries to keep calm. “You know how Jordyn was going on about how you and I are an item?”

“No I don’t think I remember that. But I’ll take your word for it.” Becca looks at Jc with a little concern. Jc continues.

“Well I think that maybe I’m starting to have feelings for you.” Jc blurt it all out in a whirl of words. Becca sits back for a bit not knowing how to respond. Finally she replies.

“I’m not sure how this is supposed to work but I think that I might feel the same way. If you want us to be an item then that’s okay with me I guess.” Jc breathes a sigh of relief and leans in closer to her. Becca wraps her arms around him and before they know it they’re making out right there. Joey walks in finally free from solitary confinement but turns and leaves when he sees the two.

“I do care about her but something tells me Jc would be a better match for her.” Joey thinks to himself. “Jordyn was right.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story