Nick sat in his room staring blankly out the window watching the sun beat down upon the street outside his house. Well technically it wasn’t his. He was just working here as a farm hand, for the guy who was letting him live here. The guy was old and needed a kid like him to help out. Nick didn’t mind and it gave him something to do. It made him so tired that his anger problems could easily be controlled without any of his meds. It was also a distraction; keep his mind busy for the better of everyone. But today he didn’t have any work to do and Nick’s mind was troubled.

I had been nearly six months since he had left St. Margaret’s Hospital for the Mentally Ill and Unstable. He and his old flame Jordyn had been let out after the courts had decided that they could be let into society. Jordyn learned she received everything of her parents making her rich. She took the opportunity to move to Nevada and buy a big farmhouse with Howie, planning to take online college classes and try to get a psychology major. All of Nick’s friends back at the hospital either will or did move in with them.

But it had been three months since he had spoken too her. And as of two months ago he had, in his mind, officially lost contact with everyone. Last thing he heard was everyone was there, except for AJ and Becca. AJ was still at the hospital; he had a little more work that needed doing. Becca left the hospital a few weeks before and was staying with her aunt and uncle outside of Las Vegas in Henderson. Becca was the only person keeping in contact with Nick.

The last person who Nick had spoken with over the phone had been Justin. Justin had decided to go on a road trip of sorts and had wanted to talk to Nick out of impulse. However, his tone of voice had said otherwise. Something about it just wasn’t right. Justin is always snappy and outgoing, but this time it was different.

“I’ve never heard Justin talk like that.” He muttered to himself. Justin sounded like he was depressed, like the way Howie had sounded when he had first come to the hospital. Nick rolled his eyes for thinking about him, for thinking about any of them for that matter. It was just so stupid. He had his own life now and it was time to move on. Nick felt detached from everyone and wasn’t ready to go back quite yet.

“Dear god why should I even give a fuck?” Nick scolded. “I really wish I still had my anger problems right now. Maybe then I wouldn’t have a conscience to nag me.” Nick leaned over onto the windowsill and groaned.

There’s a sudden a knock at the front door. Nick looked up.

“Come in.” He said. The door opened and Farmer Dave entered. He was holding an envelope.

“Mail call son.” He said. Nick nodded and took the items from the old man. He didn’t really like to be called son but the man was at least eighty and in a way was probably the closest thing to a father figure that Nick had ever had.

“Thanks Dave.” Nick said.

“No problem son. But tell me- whatever happened to that lady friend of yours, the one with the dead brother? Levi was his name… such a shame. He sounded like a good kid. I’d have liked to meet him. I’d like to meet your other friends as well. Especially that Alexander boy you told us about. Sounds like a real character.” Dave smiled. Nick was used to the old man’s ramblings and liked them… in a way.

“We kinda lost contact with each other. I should probably get off my butt and call them. AJ is still in the hospital and who knows when he’ll be out. Maybe soon. You know one of them, Jc, is looking for a job so he can support his girlfriend. You think he might be able to work out here? Don’t think is too far from this place.” He sits down on a chair. Dave laughed.

“Maybe. It’d be nice having some extra hands around here. You do a grand job don’t get me wrong. At my age I need all the help I can get.” Nick nodded. It still surprised him that the eighty-year-old man was able to do such strenuous labor all day every day without so much as breaking a sweat.

“The others I think wouldn’t mind working here too. Justin and Joey are strong men, but Jordyn and Howie probably want to stay and work on their own farm. Not much but someone’s got to do it.” Dave laughed again. Dave’s wife Maureen had come up the stairs and was standing next to her husband and smiling too. Maureen had that sweet old grandma look and attitude, and just like Dave was the closest mothering figure he’s ever had.

“Well.” She sighs with her smile never leaving her face. “I’d love to have them all here for a stay. From what I’ve heard about your friends they can all do some good. You should call them up, really. You’ve gotten mail and calls from them but never the other way around.” Nick nodded.

“You’re right. I should get to work on that. And I might be leaving for their place soon. I don’t know when I’ll be back or if I will be at all. But I will be sure to visit and I want you both to know that I appreciate all that you’ve done for me. Thank you both so much.” Dave and Maureen nodded.

“We loved having you here Nick.” Maureen says. “Anyways before I forget I just wanted to let you two know that supper will be on the table in a few minutes.” She smiled and went back downstairs. Dave went back to talking to Nick.

“That letter seems important so you should probably read it. I’ll let you take my old truck if you decided to go. I have to admit that I was suspicious of getting a new one at first however it works just as nicely as the old one. I guess it’s too late to fear technology at this point.” He grinned at that. Nick loves seeing him smile like that.

“Thank you.” Nick smiles back.

“No trouble son.” Dave turned and left the room. Nick sighed and looked at the letter. It was impossible to be sad when those two were around. They were old and had been though the great depression and world war two and all these things that Nick only knew existed because of a history book. They were smiling as though it was no big deal. Nick guessed that when you got to that age you got to a point where being bitter and angry about things that had happened when you were a teenager in the roaring twenties was pretty pointless. He had seen pictures of Dave and Maureen when they were first married. They were both stunning AND always smiling. Maybe it was the way they were raised or where they were raised. Nick also thought he’s just never understood how people can be happy with such bad things around. Nick rips the envelope with his teeth and pulls out the letter, which read:

 

Dear Nick, 
I’d call you on the phone but I’m still having difficulty with socializing and I’m a bit squeamish around phones. Anyways I hope that this letter finds you well. Jc and I are doing well and so are the others. Justin’s still on his road trip but you probably already know that. Jordyn is wondering when you’ll be coming to stay with her. I’m still living with my aunt and uncle. I probably will be until November. But that’s beside the point of the letter. 
Jordyn probably won’t be happy in the least bit that I’m the one telling you this but you’re going to find out soon enough. While you’ve been gone Jordyn’s gotten a bit tired of ‘waiting’. She and Joey have been spending a lot of time together and they’ve definitely become an item. I don’t want this to turn into a scenario from Casa Blanca but still. She doesn’t think you’re dead. She and Joey seem to really be into each other. I don’t think it’s like that since I can see a difference between what you and her had. Please Nick hurry back before it goes any farther. I really look forward to seeing you again. 
Rebecca

Nick couldn’t believe what he was reading. He knew that Becca wouldn’t lie about something this serious. She and Jordyn weren’t the best friends in the whole wide world but they got along well enough to be considered friends. Nick put down the letter and picked up the phone in his room. He dialed the numbers desperately trying to keep calm. He waited as he heard the ringing on the other end. Finally he heard someone answer.

“Hello?” Nick sighed in relief. It was Jc.

“Hey Jayce.” Nick said.

“Hey Nick.” Jc replied. “What’s going on? How are the old folks?”

“They’re good.” Nick said. “How’re things going with you and Becca?”

“Really good. I’m surprised we’ve made it six months.” Jc said. Nick smiled. He was glad that his friend was happy. There was a four-year age difference between them and Becca was only seventeen. Jc was worried that they wouldn’t last due to that but still things were looking good for them.

“That’s awesome man. Now try for another.”

“I will.” Nick could tell Jc was beaming on the other end. “Anyways you sounded kinda bummed when you started talking.” Nick sighed.

“It’s nothing man. At least I’m hoping it’s nothing. Anyways I just called to tell you that I’m coming down to the house. Probably tomorrow morning.”

“That’s great. Jordyn and the others will be thrilled.” Jc said.

“Okay. I’ll talk to you later.” Nick said.

“Mkay. Bye.”

“Bye.”

Nick hung up. Then he started packing. He had his suitcase half filled when Maureen called for him to come down and eat. Knowing it was pointless to argue Nick went downstairs.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story