Nick got up early the next morning. He was used to waking up at four am from working with Dave. Dave had said he was suspired Nick had adjusted to farm life so easily. Nick had told him it was because he was used to hospital schedules where they had to be up at six. The real truth was that Nick got up because of the damn rooster that was always crowing day and night. He, on more than one occasion, had half a mind to request that Maureen make chicken and dumplings. Maureen must’ve read his mind one time because she had pointed out that she would’ve cooked him earlier only that the rooster’s meat would be too old by now.

Nick trusted them with how he met all of his friends. It worried him that they would still think he was nuts. “It don’t matter that ya’ll met in a loony bin as long as you’re on the mend now.” Dave had commented. “It sounds like you’re all good kids who were sick and needed healing, and you seem to have all been healed enough to be set lose.” Nick liked the way Dave acted about the subject. Dave didn’t treat him as a threat or reflexes that about his friends when he talks of them.

Sleepily, Nick trudged down the stairs with his bag full. He was going to leave until noon but habits are habits. Maureen was already in the kitchen and had set out his breakfast. She knew better than to talk to him too much in the mornings. Nick never was and never would be a morning person. It didn’t matter that he worked on a farm or a rooster was crowing incessantly; he just didn’t like getting up in the morning. Nick ate silently. His mind was still on the letter.

“Thanks Maureen.” He said putting the dishes in the sink.

“No problem dear.” Maureen nodded.

Nick went back upstairs and finished packing. He then went out to the old truck and placed his suitcase in the passenger seat. Then he started the engine and began heading down the driveway towards the highway. He had said his goodbyes to Dave and Maureen earlier.

He couldn’t bring himself to believe what Becca’s letter said was true. He knew that Becca wasn’t the kind of person who would lie about this kind of thing but still he had been gone for a long time. But if Jordyn truly cared she would have understood that he needed some time away from everyone. Besides it had only been recently that he had figured out the exact location of the house where she was staying. Apparently it was a large place. It was big enough for three families. Nick was curious as to how they all managed to pay for that. He shook his head. He’d find out soon enough.

After about half an hour of driving Nick finally came up to the driveway of the address that he was looking for. He was surprised to see that it was slightly smaller than he had expected. Still it was a good-sized place with three stories. According to Jordyn, this place had belonged to some relatives of hers and they let her keep the place. Nick guessed this place had been built for the purpose of housing people during family reunions. He grinned as he saw Becca run out of the front door with an excited expression on her face with Jc following closely behind her only he was walking. But that grin faded as he saw something he dreaded. Jordyn was leaning with her back to a large red pickup, which Nick guessed was Joey’s.

Jordyn had her arms wrapped around Joey and Joey’s face was in Jordyn’s neck and she looked horny (he knows when she’s horny). Her eyes open and she sees Nick pull into the driveway; letting go of Joey he turned and saw him too. Joey sighed and went over to the truck. He knew that he would have some explaining.

Nick stopped the car and turned off the engine. He got out with a hurt expression. Jordyn looked at him. Her face was blank, something she has learn to do when she was really young to hide everything without getting a beating. Nick knew better than to expect anything like that from her but still it hurt him that she had willingly cheated.

“Hey Nick.” She said monotone. “Bout time you showed up.” Jc and Becca had seen what was going on and decided to head back into the house. Nick was stone faced for a couple minutes but then he found it in himself to speak.

“You said you’d wait for me.”

“We lost contact over two months ago. All the others got over here as soon as they could.”

“I had a family that really wanted to see me. Not my parents but family that really cared. You said you loved me. And I couldn’t just leave Dave and Maureen after all they did for me.”

“I’m sorry Nick. Please… you think I can wait for two months with no sign of ever seeing you.” Nick shook his head.

“Maybe I should just go then. Seems you guys don’t need me.” Nick shrugged and headed back to the truck. Joey grabbed him though.

“Man you’re staying. We’ve missed you.” Nick looked at them all. Jordyn stared at the ground and Joey held her tightly.

Nick sighed heavily and drops his bag to the ground. “Fine. Who’s going to help me unload?”

“I’ll go get Jc.” Said Joey. “He can help.” He went inside the house and came out about a minute later with Jc behind him. Nick got out his suitcase and handed it to Jc.

“Hey man.” Jc said. “Becca’s been really looking forward to seeing you.”

“Glad to hear someone’s been patient.” Nick growled when they got inside the house and safely out of earshot of Jordyn and Joey.

“You can’t stay pissed at them forever Nick.” Jc opened the door to one of the bedrooms and placed the suitcase down. “For one thing the most they’ve done is making out. And on top of that I don’t want there to be a huge argument at the reception.”

Nick stopped in his tracks. “What did you just say Jc?” He asked. Jc smiled softly.

“This is just between you and me man.” He whispered motioning for Nick to come closer. “I’ve been saving up so I can get enough to propose to Becca.” Nick nodded.

“In other words you’re going to pop the question but you don’t have enough for the ring?”

“That and I need the legal papers and to get her aunt and uncle’s permission.” Jc sighed. “I want to marry her as soon as possible but I’m worried that maybe it’s too soon.”

“Probably.” Nick replied. “I’d wait a few more months. I mean after all you guys did start dating out of impulse almost. I think a lot of people would see your relationship as unbalanced. I’d give it at least another six months so that people can see that the power balance is good before making any plans. And besides by the time that happens Becca will be eighteen and then she will be able to move in.” Nick and Jc headed to the living room where they saw Howie in front of the TV with Becca. They were watching a movie. Becca got up and ran over to Nick hugging him.

“Hey Becca.” Nick said happily. “I missed you too.” Becca had social anxiety problems and had always had difficulty speaking to people without freaking out. But Nick and the others had learned how to understand her even if she kept her usage of words to a minimum.

“Hey Nick. How are you?” Howie stood up and hugged Nick. Howie had been the first of the group to be let out of St. Margret’s. He had been diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). And yet despite all this he seemed to be doing the best job as far as rehabilitation went. He now had a girlfriend and was starting college that year.

“I’m okay I guess.” Nick shrugged. “Have any of you guys heard from Justin?”

“We haven’t heard from him for a while.” Howie voiced concern. “We’ve left him plenty of messages on his cell phone but he has yet to answer them.” Nick bit his lip.

“I don’t know if we should be worried yet but I got a call from him recently and something just didn’t sit right.” He paused. “There was something in his voice that just seemed off if you get my drift. Something just didn’t sound like Justin.” Howie and Jc nodded. Becca just looked worried.

“We should all talk about it after dinner when we can get everyone in the same room together.” Howie smiled trying to light the mood. “In the meantime sit down and tell us how you’ve been doing.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story