“Of all people to call for a conference it had to be me? Seriously remind me to have one of the guys do all of Becca’s registry paperwork for her next time. And thanks again for coming with me Brian.” Jordyn said grumpily as they drove into the school parking lot. It was Saturday so the place was relatively empty with the exception of a few cars that one could only assume were either that of teachers, students looking for help with certain subjects, or practicing some sport.

“No problem.” Brian replied. “So are you and Nick an item again?” Jordyn doesn’t respond, only drops her arm outside the window. “Alrighty then, just a simple question. By the way do you have any idea why this teacher asked for a conference in the first place?”

“No idea. It’s not like Beck to act out. She’s got the mental age of oh I don’t know thirty? But that teacher of her’s sounded annoying. When she called she said it was something to do with recent developments in her personal life. All I know is that I want to get in yell at this chick and get out. That sound like a plan?”

“Sounds good to me.” They got out of the truck and went into the building. When they got to the room where Becca’s English class was the teacher was sitting there waiting at her desk. Jordyn had to hold back a look of disgust at the mountain of makeup this woman wore. She was practically a clown.

“And I thought Beck was excessive.” Jordyn said under her breath.

“Oh hello.” The woman said in a voice that was little too sweet. “You must be Miss Wood. And you are?”

“Brian. I’m one of the doctors who worked with Becca when she was hospitalized.” Brian said. Jordyn could tell by the tone in his voice that he didn’t like this woman much either. The woman didn’t seem to realize this though. Or if she did she was doing a good job of hiding it; probably the shot of Botox between her eyes and pretty much every other square inch of her face.

“Oh that’s good. You can help us decide what would be the best course of action to take with Rebecca then.” The woman motioned to a couple of chairs in front of her desk as she said this.

“What do you mean by course of action?” Jordyn asked suspiciously. “Care to tell us what this is about?”

“Well I assumed you already knew.” Ms. Fox said with some astonishment. “It’s about the sheer fact that she is a teenage bride! She’s not pregnant is she? Because if she is there are many support groups for girls like her. Marriage doesn’t have to be the answer.”

“She’s definitely not pregnant I can assure you of that.” Jordyn said through gritted teeth. “But as of about a week ago she’s definitely not a virgin. The house we live in was built a long time ago and there’s not much soundproofing in it. We could hear them at it.” Jordyn’s expression went from irritation to amusement as she saw the look of horror on Ms. Fox’s face. It was dulled down due to Botox but still it was funny.

“But still. A girl like her getting married at seventeen! To a man that’s four years her senior? Surely you don’t think this is a good idea. If you ask me this is criminal. Legally it shouldn’t be happening. I think we should take action to keep them separated, at least until Rebecca graduates and turn eighteen. She might not appreciate those actions but I believe it’s for the best.”

“Ma’am I don’t think you have any right to have any say in this matter.” Brian interrupted. “Becca and Jc have been going out for nearly a year now. And can you tell me this? Have any of the teachers said anything about the matter?”

“Well no.” Spluttered Ms. Fox. “In fact it seems like I’m the only one who seems concerned! Everyone else just doesn’t seem to care. Please understand I care deeply about my students and I want what is best for them.”

“I’m sure that you do.” Jordyn said. “But I think that the main reason people aren’t worried is because they understand Beck’s situation better. I knew her when we were hospitalized. Both of us have been though a lot. I don’t approve of early marriage either. And I personally don’t think it’s a good idea for anyone to consider it till their older but Beck needs assurance in her life and Jc can provide that for her.”

“Jordyn’s right.” Brian agreed. “It’s good that you are concerned and that you care for your students. But I think you need to relax for a bit. Becca needs you to be a teacher. Not a mother. If you want to help her and keep her safe then help back her up with this. Now I think the discussion here is done so if you’ll excuse us.” Brian pushed back his chair and stood up. Jordyn follows him. “We’ll be leaving now. Goodbye.” And with that they turned and began walking out of the room leaving the poor teacher sitting there looking stunned. Then suddenly she spoke up.

“This may seem a bit forward and rude but so you know when they plan on tying the knot?” Jordyn looked over her shoulder at her.

“They mentioned something about the day after school gets out.” And with that they left.

*

“So how’d it go?” Chris asked when they got back. “That chick should never have kids. We’re talking mega helicopter mom.” Jordyn groaned exasperatedly. Nick who was standing in the doorway laughed.

“I’m surprised Becca has gone this long in that class.” He remarked. “Then again she’s not one to complain.”

“Where is she by the way?” Jordyn asked. Nick shrugged.

“Last I checked I think she was in the garden. You know how she wanted to start growing her own veggies? I swear she’s gonna work herself to death on that.”

“All the better to fit into a dress I guess.” Jordyn muttered. She was a serious ‘meterosexual tomboy’ as she called it. She went around to the back yard where sure enough Becca was digging around on her hands and knees working on what looked to be baby cucumber plants.

“Hey Beck!” She called out. Becca looked up and waved. “Where’s Jc at?”

“Work.” Becca called back. She was talking in a normal volume. Jordyn was surprised but she kind of expected this to happen anyways.

“Just so we’re clear on this Beck!” Jordyn yelled. “I’m not wearing a dress to any formal event no matter what. I’ll wear a tux but that’s it!”

Nick was leaning against the house. “I’d prefer you didn’t wear anything.” Jordyn turns her head and Nick goes back inside. Jordyn walks out to Becca and begin to help her with the garden.

“I’m glad you doing better Beck. But seriously I hate dresses.” Becca looks up at her sighing.

“I was really hoping you would be my maid of honor. I won’t pick out anything fancy I just… ah well.” Becca goes back to the garden. Jordyn sits up and looks at Becca. She guessed she could quit be selfish and think about Becca’s big day, though she still didn’t see anything big in it.

“Alright Beck. Just for that day. If it makes you happy…” Jordyn sighs and smiles as Becca hugs her tightly. She pats her back and continues helping her with the garden.

A few hours later everyone was gathered around dinner when the phone rang. Joey answered it then handed it to Lance. After a few minutes Lance hung up and looking at everyone smiling.

“More good news. It looks like AJ is going to be getting out of St. Margret’s soon. Probably within the next couple of weeks.”

“Awesome. I need someone to cause trouble with.” Justin grinned. Joey smacks him upside the head chuckling.

*

The days got longer and the nights shorter. The heat rose and everyone was getting ready for the big day. Jordyn was pressured by Lance and Brian to take Becca out and just help her with all of her wedding stuff. She hated all of it. She wanted to be with Jc trying to fancy him up, but NO she had to help out Becca pick out her dress and the flowers and a whole bunch of other shit. By the end of the day she was gritting her teeth and trying to keep clam.

“God why are weddings so much of a damn hassle? God this is all for show! The real marriage is when you go in and sign papers.” Jordyn follows Becca inside grumbling under her breath. Becca was all smiling and grinning seeming so happy. Jc just couldn’t stop watching her face. Becca hurries upstairs into Jordyn’s room where she was going to leave the dress and Jordyn’s gown. Jordyn follows her and sits on her bed.

“Gosh I can’t wait. Man the flowers are going to be so pretty and my dress all white and stuff. And your gown is so pretty! A nice red dress with straps, and it goes all the way to the ground.” Jordyn feels ready to snap. “Man and the shoes for it are so-” Before Becca could finish Jordyn screamed.

“Listen up Beck!” Becca freezes looking at Jordyn. “I am not your little dress up toy! All I was going to do was put on the damn dress you wanted me to wear and be a part of your retarded ceremony that doesn’t mean shit except to show off everything! You dragged me all over the place asking ME for what dress you should wear and what damn shoes would go good with it. THAT ISN’T ME! I’m the girl who should be helping Jc find a damn tux!” Jc runs up the stairs and into Jordyn’s room shoving her against a wall.

“Listen up! You are not going to be talking to my girlfriend like that you hear?” Jordyn shoves Jc off of her. He clenches his fists. Becca is against a wall shaking and in tears.

“Its too late now! I’m not taking it back cause its true!” Jc grabs Jordyn’s shirt shoving her face into his own. He’s ready to punch her but Becca rips him away from her. Jordyn takes a swing at Jc but Becca gets in the way.

“Oh my god!” Jc falls to his knees holding Becca in his arms. Her nose was bleeding and she was shaking. The others charge up the stairs. Jordyn had her hands clenched at her side and she was staring down at Becca blankly.

“What the hell happened in here?” Lance yells.

“Jordyn yells at Becca then punches her in the face!” Jc holds Becca’s face to his chest carefully. She was covering her nose with her hand.

“Jordyn what the hell?” Lance grabs her arm jerking her so she faces him. “What is wrong with you?”

She says softly, “Just let me go.”

“Not until you explain yourself.” Jordyn tugs her arm away from Lance but he puts his hand on her other arm.

“Let. Me. Go.” She says through gritted teeth.

“Tell me missy.” Jordyn shoves Lance and he stumbles back landing into Chris.

“Your acting like my father who is rotting in hell!” She storms past everyone and rushes outside. Off in the distance, thunder rolls across the sky.

“Lets check you out Becca.” Chris helps her to her feet and takes her into the bathroom. He wets a washcloth. “So can you tell me what happened?”

“I was talking… about the wedding… and she just snapped.” She sniffles and winces at the pain in her nose. “I didn’t mean it. I was just so excited. I asked her to wear a dress and she agreed. I pushed her too far.” She begins crying and Chris holds her rubbing her back slowly.

“It will be alright.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story